Sign in to follow this  
Shack Attack

Rio Ferdinand - England captain

So what does everyone think then?

I think it''s an interesting decision, he''s obviously well liked within the dressing room and, missed drug tests notwithstanding, he''s quite an intelligent chap. What''s really interesting though is where this leaves John Terry. Most newspapers had him down to be captain yesterday morning and they certainly weren''t expecting Rio to be picked ahead of him. He must have felt it was his turn to stake his claim to be permanent captain, how will he react to being overlooked? Does Capello not consider Terry to be one of his first choice centre backs?

I was riduculed on here a few months back for suggesting that England would be better off without Terry as he''s not suited to international football. Does Fabio Capello have the same idea or am I reading too much into this decision?

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

So what does everyone think then?

I think it''s an interesting decision, he''s obviously well liked within the dressing room and, missed drug tests notwithstanding, he''s quite an intelligent chap. What''s really interesting though is where this leaves John Terry. Most newspapers had him down to be captain yesterday morning and they certainly weren''t expecting Rio to be picked ahead of him. He must have felt it was his turn to stake his claim to be permanent captain, how will he react to being overlooked? Does Capello not consider Terry to be one of his first choice centre backs?

I was riduculed on here a few months back for suggesting that England would be better off without Terry as he''s not suited to international football. Does Fabio Capello have the same idea or am I reading too much into this decision?

[/quote]you obviously did not see ''rio''s world cup wind up'' a year or so ago, calling the bloke intelligent after that tv show should be a capital offense...

That we can''t get anybody more suited than Rio Ferdinand as England captain staggers me. No better role-model wise than John Terry it seems to me and that despite this supposed clampdown on behaviours............Only worse candidate would be Ashley cole.

[quote user="kirku"]

you obviously did not see ''rio''s world cup wind up'' a year or so ago, calling the bloke intelligent after that tv show should be a capital offense...
[/quote]

Mmmm, perhaps I should have said that whenever I''ve seen him in a decent length interview, either in the papers or on TV, he''s always came across as a reasonably thoughtful and intelligent bloke.

The deicision is liely to have been influenced by Terry''s behaviour when Ashley Cole was carded at White Hart Lane.  A certain Mister Cappello was in attendance.

I think Rio is a good choice for captain, don''t see any harm in giving him a go. Some people don''t rate him but the guy is a first choice centreback for Man Utd and he''s been playing brilliantly for them so I think that says it all.

Good luck to him for tonight, I think he''ll do a good job.

[quote user="Strangers All"]The deicision is liely to have been influenced by Terry''s behaviour when Ashley Cole was carded at White Hart Lane.  A certain Mister Cappello was in attendance.[/quote]

agreed! If Terry isnt careful then he may find he never plays for england again under Capello.. regardless of how good he is... Fabio Capello doesnt tolerate that kind of behaviour and would have no hesitation in bring a sudden sharp end to Terrys International Career... John had better watch his step

jas :)

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="kirku"]you obviously did not see ''rio''s world cup wind up'' a year or so ago, calling the bloke intelligent after that tv show should be a capital offense...[/quote]

Mmmm, perhaps I should have said that whenever I''ve seen him in a decent length interview, either in the papers or on TV, he''s always came across as a reasonably thoughtful and intelligent bloke.

[/quote]Fair enough. He is a good player, maybe England''s best defender. For me he isn''t captain material, but maybe that is more a slight on the current crop of England players than anything...

I think your all looking into it too much.

Capello stated that up until our first qualifier he would not pick the England full time captain and would give different players a chance. Gerrard last time, now Rio, next will be someone else. thats all it is, he wants to see for himself who will be the best leader and then pick his captain.

I think we need a role model first.Terry has been in the clink. So not him.Ferdinand. Why not? Could be a good leader like Tony Adams was at Arsenal.Gerrard. Again, his example tends to be good.The only other person with potential (but not yet) is imo David Bentley.Never can see point of forwards being captain, they should be going forward, not looking behind them.

For me it has to Gerrard he is a leader just look at him at liverpool and he is a role model off the pitch aswell