Sign in to follow this  
jim blair

Matty Patterson

thanks for clearing that up for me, i couldnt really see from where i was sitting and only saw the crossed arms bit. didnt think they would be that stupid but you never know with footballers!!!!!

OTBC

ok jc.i take your point about innocent till proven guilty, however with the advanced technology the police now have i think you will find the number of positives that fail to get a conviction is very small,but yes innocent till proven guilty is in my world of fairness.

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

Fact is would Pattison have had that pretty nauseating show of affection from ...''all the lads'' had he NOT been caught drink driving? No, of course not.

[/quote]The only FACT of note here is that you dont know the facts. The players do.Get off the high horse.... if this board was only frequented by people who have never driven a car 8 hours after having drink it would be a lonely place. I heard a player contacted Carrowroad.net last week and they withdrew their innitial ''statement''. Maybe they took the trouble to find out the truth

what is a FACT though is he has been charged with drunk driving and it doesnt matter if it is one hour, 8 hours or 24 hours after he has been drinking it is still a despicable act that shouldnt be condoned in anyway

OTBC

i have an interesting propersition and wondered what you guys thought.

i have been thinkng about approaching the club and trying to set up a meeting with matty where we can talk about everything that has happened considering i have been affected by drunk drivers (see earlier post) and thought this might be more beneficial to matty than anything the club/courts could do. what do people think about this idea?

OTBC

IMO Evil Monkey has it 100% spot on.  That doesn''t mean I don''t see what others are saying, just that I don''t agree: Pattison should be dealt with by the Courts, not by a kangaroo court of supporters.  Unless and until we know more detail we can''t really comment further. 

When he is wearing the Norwich shirt he should be treated the same as the others - he played well yesterday under immense pressure and deserved the applause.   

Just for info, Pattison is not the first footballer to be charged with drink driving and I doubt, sadly, he will be the last.  Current players like Jermaine Pennant, James Beattie and Rio Ferdinand have all been convicted for it (those are facts, so this bit shouldn''t be deleted!), and others like Peter Shilton and Tony Adams have in the past.  Don''t for one minute think that I''m suggesting this makes it ok, just that it happens to footballers as with other walks of life and I am 100% sure that few, if any, of us would expect to be sacked for it as some have suggested. 

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Dear lord, here we go... the self-righteous, pedastal-perched, pc brigade have come out, as usual. The thing is, we have no idea as to the facts of the situation, other than that he was arrested for being over the legal blood-alcohol limit whilst driving his car.  Rumour suggests this happened the morning after a drinking session whilst he was in his pants and on his way to Colney under the mistaken belief that he was running late for a training session.

How many here have driven their car the morning after drinking alcohol, and be honest here? Jim, have you? Jas, Yellow, have you? Do you know anyone who has, and have you thus cast them adrift for it or just ignored it?  Lets face it, many many people across the country do this every single day, mostly without incident, and I doubt anyone here even cares enough to write a post about it.  The ones we''re most worried about are the people who go to the pub, drink alcohol and then hop straight into their cars.  These are the ones at most risk of causing an incident or injury to others, since the alcohol is directly affecting their judgement and control.

Now if it is revealed that Matty has done this, then the club should take internal action.  At present, we do not know the full facts, so we should withhold judgement.  Regardless of how much money the player makes, or how much he is in the "public eye", the law of this country states that every individual is innocent until proven guilty.

Now, put this into the context of the game.  Would we rather that, at this crucial stage of the season, an important player like Patterson is immediately villified, cast out from the team, and publicly blasted by the club?  Or would we rather that "innocent until proven guilty" is applied, that he is allowed to play in the team (and play very well, it seems) and is given support by his friends and colleagues and fans of the club, and that he can move on from this incident and continue to develop into a good player?

I know which I''d choose.

Unfortunately, it seems that the pedestals of some are so high that they''ve forgotten what its like to be Human...
[/quote]

What a thoroughly brilliant post.  People are far too quick to make judgement NOT knowing the true facts.

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]

i have been thinkng about approaching the club and trying to set up a meeting with matty where we can talk about everything that has happened considering i have been affected by drunk drivers (see earlier post) and thought this might be more beneficial to matty than anything the club/courts could do. what do people think about this idea?

OTBC

[/quote]

I think its best to wait until he''s been to court and the facts are known. At the moment he''s not been convicted of anything and no-one other than himself and close friends know if he has a drinking problem or whether it was just a one off stupid mistake.

Sorry for your loss.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="matt crowhurst"]

OTBC

[/quote]

I think its best to wait until he''s been to court and the facts are known. At the moment he''s not been convicted of anything and no-one other than himself and close friends know if he has a drinking problem or whether it was just a one off stupid mistake.

Sorry for your loss.

[/quote]

I could give you the full background to this but the website would not run it.

Mr Pattison is in deep, deep stook.

Pc Plod did not come upon him by chance.

[quote user="James Maloney"][quote user="ronbol ronbol"]However I find it hard to support a player that as a pro footballer has even put himself in that position. maybe in time i''ll forgive and for now i''ll let him face the conviction that probably awaits him. [/quote]Golly, that''s awfully big of you.[/quote]just goes to show that you have not been effected by drink driving in your perfect little life, for those who have it''s a life changing experience. again i''ll say it''s a criminal offence and should be punished with  much stronger sentences.  it''s comments like  yours that continue  to fuel todays drink and drive society. pathetic.................

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"][quote user="James Maloney"][quote user="ronbol ronbol"]However I find it hard to support a player that as a pro footballer has even put himself in that position. maybe in time i''ll forgive and for now i''ll let him face the conviction that probably awaits him.

[/quote]

Golly, that''s awfully big of you.
[/quote]

just goes to show that you have not been effected by drink driving in your perfect little life, for those who have it''s a life changing experience. again i''ll say it''s a criminal offence and should be punished with  much stronger sentences.  it''s comments like  yours that continue  to fuel todays drink and drive society. pathetic.................
[/quote]

Surely it''s petrol that fuels it?

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"][quote user="James Maloney"][quote user="ronbol ronbol"]However I find it hard to support a player that as a pro footballer has even put himself in that position. maybe in time i''ll forgive and for now i''ll let him face the conviction that probably awaits him.

[/quote]

[/quote]

just goes to show that you have not been effected by drink driving in your perfect little life, for those who have it''s a life changing experience. again i''ll say it''s a criminal offence and should be punished with  much stronger sentences.  it''s comments like  yours that continue  to fuel todays drink and drive society. pathetic.................
[/quote]

I find that sightly hard to take from someone with Madaline McCann as their avatar.

Oh yet more proof of sensationalistic media fed England.Yes he has committed a crime. Yes it was wrong. And yes there is no excuse for it.However - there are various things we do have to remember about alcohol. One of the key factors is that it effects everybody differently. The unit system should be chucked - it has been proven to not work time and time again. Some people are less effected by one unit than others. If I am going to drive (which I have to be able to do as part of my job) I don''t touch alcohol full stop. I am not particularily bothered by this because I don''t drink that often and have been drunk less times than I have fingers on one hand.So what am I saying here? We don''t know everything. Wait until the truth comes out and then cast your opinion if you must.I should imagine that at the very least he will be banned from driving for a number of years and given a probationary sentance which if he breaches he will be placed into custody. That in itself is a serious punnishment.I worked in the same department as somebody who had been out "partying" the night before and he was stopped and breatherlised and found to be still over the legal limit. He subsequently lost his liscence (only - nothing more) and eventually his job as being an estate agent in London required him to be able to drive.The 8hours bit is milarky. This guy was young, average height but very slim - his body obviously hadn''t coped particularily well with getting it out of his system. It is the responsibility of everybody to know their own limits and reactions - it is simply not excusable or acceptable to comit a crime and blame it on ignorance.

You know what I find very sad, the amount of people on here who would have him hung, drawn and quartered on newspaper gossip, yes thats right, it''s hearsay, because NO ONE but Matty knows the truth, FACT.

I have been affected by drunk driving personally, and was very lucky to walk away with bruises and scratches, but this happened long before any drink drive charges were ever being thought about.  Do I think Matty should be punished, of course, but by the law and not by people (us) who are really in no position to take the moral high ground.

I wonder, not that they would hold their hands up and admit, but I wonder just how many of the older posters on this forum had a few to drink at a party in the 50''s, 60''s, and 70''s and got in a car to drive home????  Quite a few more than would care to admit, so those that will admit it, now ask yourselves should you have been put in prison for it?

Far too many self righteous people on here just lately.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

You know what I find very sad, the amount of people on here who would have him hung, drawn and quartered on newspaper gossip, yes thats right, it''s hearsay, because NO ONE but Matty knows the truth, FACT.

I have been affected by drunk driving personally, and was very lucky to walk away with bruises and scratches, but this happened long before any drink drive charges were ever being thought about.  Do I think Matty should be punished, of course, but by the law and not by people (us) who are really in no position to take the moral high ground.

I wonder, not that they would hold their hands up and admit, but I wonder just how many of the older posters on this forum had a few to drink at a party in the 50''s, 60''s, and 70''s and got in a car to drive home????  Quite a few more than would care to admit, so those that will admit it, now ask yourselves should you have been put in prison for it?

[/quote]

I dont believe it is self righteous to have a discussion about what we think about it - saying that is as sensationalist as saying he should be dropped.  He has however been charged with drink driving - if he is not proven guilty this will be a minor miracle.

The point no-one seems to be discussing is are they happy with a 1st team player p!ssing it up in the middle of the season?  It isn''t as if we are cruising either, before Saturday''s game things were not looking too rosy at all.

I for one am not too keen on a public display of support for a player who doesn''t respect the fact that when you are paid a few hundred thousand a year you have to forfeit certaing priveleges.  Getting hammered is one!

[quote user="peartreeproductions"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

I dont believe it is self righteous to have a discussion about what we think about it - saying that is as sensationalist as saying he should be dropped.  He has however been charged with drink driving - if he is not proven guilty this will be a minor miracle.

The point no-one seems to be discussing is are they happy with a 1st team player p!ssing it up in the middle of the season?  It isn''t as if we are cruising either, before Saturday''s game things were not looking too rosy at all.

I for one am not too keen on a public display of support for a player who doesn''t respect the fact that when you are paid a few hundred thousand a year you have to forfeit certaing priveleges.  Getting hammered is one!

[/quote]

Some of the attitudes on here are self righteous, look the meaning up in the dictionary, wait I will explain to you what it means convinced of one''s own righteousness especially in contrast with the actions and beliefs of others : narrow-mindedly moralistic.

How can you discuss what he is ''''supposed'''' to have done when you don''t know the facts?

It''s ok to make a judgement when you know the facts, especially in a case like this.

I dont see you critisising another young NC player, who has not long got his full contract, who last summer was out drinking and clubbing getting legless.  Ok so he might not have driven, but your last paragraph sort of becomes relevant to most players who are young and who have lots of money.  You might want to read Bryan Gunns biography too as it''s gone on at NC for decades.

[quote user="king canary"]

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"][quote user="James Maloney"][quote user="ronbol ronbol"]However I find it hard to support a player that as a pro footballer has even put himself in that position. maybe in time i''ll forgive and for now i''ll let him face the conviction that probably awaits him. [/quote]Golly, that''s awfully big of you.[/quote]just goes to show that you have not been effected by drink driving in your perfect little life, for those who have it''s a life changing experience. again i''ll say it''s a criminal offence and should be punished with  much stronger sentences.  it''s comments like  yours that continue  to fuel todays drink and drive society. pathetic.................[/quote]

I find that sightly hard to take from someone with Madaline McCann as their avatar.

[/quote]If it all comes down to avatars, you need to get a life quickly. never judge a book by it''s cover.....as the saying goes.......

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="peartreeproductions"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Some of the attitudes on here are self righteous, look the meaning up in the dictionary, wait I will explain to you what it means convinced of one''s own righteousness especially in contrast with the actions and beliefs of others : narrow-mindedly moralistic.

How can you discuss what he is ''''supposed'''' to have done when you don''t know the facts?

It''s ok to make a judgement when you know the facts, especially in a case like this.

I dont see you critisising another young NC player, who has not long got his full contract, who last summer was out drinking and clubbing getting legless.  Ok so he might not have driven, but your last paragraph sort of becomes relevant to most players who are young and who have lots of money.  You might want to read Bryan Gunns biography too as it''s gone on at NC for decades.

[/quote]so just sweep it under the carpet and forget about it................ .......... sometimes this board amazes me............

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"][quote user="king canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
If it all comes down to avatars, you need to get a life quickly. never judge a book by it''s cover.....as the saying goes.......
[/quote]

IT just seems a little hypoctritical to tell people that they cant comment on a drink drive offence unless it has at some point affected your life, and then make fun of an abducted child?

Just getting back to the issue, which is a really good one. Do you (a) vilify because he seems to have committed a criminal offence and send a strong message that this is unacceptable and he should set an example; or (b) support him through his difficulties and educate him but run the risk of being seen to condone what has happened. To be honest I am not sure where I stand on this as its so delicate, but I probably veer more towards (a) than (b) probably because footballers have such a high profile that the rules for them are, like it or not, slighlty distorted by their public exposure. However its little different from other instances of high profile people (whether footballers or not) engaging in wrongdoing, at least the FA seem to have woken up to this and realised the impact it can have.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]Just getting back to the issue, which is a really good one. Do you (a) vilify because he seems to have committed a criminal offence and send a strong message that this is unacceptable and he should set an example; or (b) support him through his difficulties and educate him but run the risk of being seen to condone what has happened. To be honest I am not sure where I stand on this as its so delicate, but I probably veer more towards (a) than (b) probably because footballers have such a high profile that the rules for them are, like it or not, slighlty distorted by their public exposure. However its little different from other instances of high profile people (whether footballers or not) engaging in wrongdoing, at least the FA seem to have woken up to this and realised the impact it can have.[/quote]

Agreed, but thats why you need the full facts. In my opinion if that was the first time hes done it, was only slightly over the limit, and totally regrets it then its right to support him, especially given the farcical tabloid reports. Id love to know the percentage of people in the country who have never been over the limit, and that includes in years gone by when the limit was higher, and people drove home from the pub after a few pints with nothing to worry about. But back to Patty, if it was a one off, to crucify and villify him may drive him to do it again? Who knows?

If he does it regularly, was way over the limit, doesnt regret it etc then he deserves to be thrown in jail.

Do any of us know the full facts?... No...

[quote user="jim blair"]Well done yellow river!!! at last somebody gets the point. a question then for some of you who clearly didnt get the point..how would you have felt if whilst over the limit he caused an incident involving a loved one or a friend ? yes people do make mistakes,including myself , but i thought pattisons treatment this afternoon brought shame to our fine club and city.[/quote]

Whilst I would agree it is a bit strange to give a standing ovation to a player who has just been arrested for drink driving I think it is also a gross exageration to say it has brought shame to our fine club and city. What it was was a public display of support for him from the crowd and his fellow players not in some way condoning what he has done. What do you want the crowd to do boo him off the pitch?

At the end of the day he has made a mistake and will have to take his punishment from the courts but to get all high and mighty about it does nobody any good. I suspect that 90% of us on this board have at one time or another driven the following day after a drinking session and would have been over the limit had we been caught. That doesn''t make it right but it is something that could happen to a lot of people most sunday mornings I suspect.

I think he should have been treated like any other player, simple as that. Until the facts are proven we shouldn''t judge too harshly, but I don''t have much time for drink drivers myself, but we all make mistakes.

[quote user="camuldonum"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="matt crowhurst"]

OTBC

[/quote]

Sorry for your loss.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''ve never known you to exaggerate camul.  Oh dear.

[quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="camuldonum"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="matt crowhurst"]

OTBC

[/quote]

Sorry for your loss.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That''s the end of that then. He''s guilty of everything because Camul says so.

Were you in The Barclay on Saturday Camul?

We8 m8?? You got any views?

I''m still going to wait until I know the facts before I make a judgement.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="ronbol ronbol"][quote user="king canary"]

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"][quote user="James Maloney"][quote user="ronbol ronbol"]However I find it hard to support a player that as a pro footballer has even put himself in that position. maybe in time i''ll forgive and for now i''ll let him face the conviction that probably awaits him. [/quote]Golly, that''s awfully big of you.[/quote]just goes to show that you have not been effected by drink driving in your perfect little life, for those who have it''s a life changing experience. again i''ll say it''s a criminal offence and should be punished with  much stronger sentences.  it''s comments like  yours that continue  to fuel todays drink and drive society. pathetic.................[/quote]

[/quote]If it all comes down to avatars, you need to get a life quickly. never judge a book by it''s cover.....as the saying goes.......[/quote]

IT just seems a little hypoctritical to tell people that they cant comment on a drink drive offence unless it has at some point affected your life, and then make fun of an abducted child?

[/quote]This kind of posting is the sort that should be edited by moderators, there is and has no way been any fun made of an abducted child. I have supported the find maddie campaign from the word go and it simply highlights the fact that she is still missing and not forgottern , The same poster in full size is used on two of my websites and stays until she is found. you really are some sick individual to think along these lines.get a life.............

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="camuldonum"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="matt crowhurst"]

OTBC

[/quote]

Sorry for your loss.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Calm down.  With camul''s connections in the journalistic world I suspect he knows what he''s talking about.  We get a fair few windup merchants on here but he''s not one of them imo.

We may not know the details but it doesn''t look good - Roeder''s comment about "taking his punishment like a man" more or less gives that away.  MP is due in court on Monday (31st) I believe, so we haven''t long to wait. 

[quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Calm down.  With camul''s connections in the journalistic world I suspect he knows what he''s talking about.  We get a fair few windup merchants on here but he''s not one of them imo.

We may not know the details but it doesn''t look good - Roeder''s comment about "taking his punishment like a man" more or less gives that away.  MP is due in court on Monday (31st) I believe, so we haven''t long to wait. 

[/quote]

Bet you don''t wait for Christmas morning to open your pressies either [G] It feels like socks so it has to be socks and nine times out of ten it is socks... but have you ever been surprised[:O]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Fat Prophet"][quote user="camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bet you don''t wait for Christmas morning to open your pressies either [G] It feels like socks so it has to be socks and nine times out of ten it is socks... but have you ever been surprised[:O]

[/quote]

Nutty with his head in the sand.  Now there''s a novelty . . .