Sign in to follow this  
jim blair

Matty Patterson

I think it''s called not kicking someone when they are down, something a lot of high and mighty people forget.  He who casts the first stone and all that.  Have you never made a mistake in your life or are you perfect?

Obviously i would never condone what Matty Pattison [is charged with],  but it was great to see the players reaction when Matty was taken off, nearly every player to a man, went up and gave him hug or a hand shake. and just shows what great team spirit there is. Well done to the players, everyone makes a mistake, just important he learns from it and makes sure it does not happen again.

Also thought he had a decent game, and was gutted when he was brought down for the penalty as i would have loved to see him score today!!!

Team spirit, sticking together, helping people react to mistakes, encouraging him to ignore the ridiculous press reports and perform for our club, because we are in a relegation fight and we need our players playing to their potential, because we are supporters, hopefully that covers it.

People can say whatever they like away from the ground, but when he puts on the norwich shirt he will get 100% support from me.

well as matty patterson doesnt play for us I would be surprised. Matty pattison (pattIson you muppet), is one of our players and yes what he [is charged with] was wrong but he needed our support and Norwich fans have always made me proud because we have always supported our "troubled" players. carl bradshaw, jamie cureton, even flecky. get a grip

I know what the original poster was saying, we can''t treat drrink drivers as hero''s, but as he has not been found guilty yet, we have to treat him as a Norwich player. He played ok today, but the players and the fans were just as appreciated as him getting the penalty.

[quote user="mattscousin"]well as matty patterson doesnt play for us I would be surprised. Matty pattison (pattIson you muppet), is one of our players and yes what he did was wrong but he needed our support and Norwich fans have always made me proud because we have always supported our "troubled" players. carl bradshaw, jamie cureton, even flecky. get a grip[/quote]I''m sure many people would not take this point of view if a child , parent or friend had been hit and killed by a drunken driver. The only muppets on here are people that drink and drive it''s a criminal offence that should carry a far harser penalty than  the british justice system gives out. However I find it hard to support a player that as a pro footballer has even put himself in that position. maybe in time i''ll forgive and for now i''ll let him face the conviction that probably awaits him.

Agreed I was very proud of it. If Pattison has a drink problem as some suggest he needs support and help, not being sacked and treated like the devil. His performance today suggested that he is willing to try and attone for his mistakes and that can only be applauded.

Because both his team mates and the fans who know he''s made a stupid mistake were making a statement to say that he''s one of us and whilst he''s wearing the shirt he''ll be treated like it.

[quote user="jim blair"]Can anybody explain why he was treated like some kind of hero today?[/quote]

I totally agree with you Jim, pity others who have replied have missed the point.

Of course I supported Pattison this afternoon but no more and no less than on any other occasion. Fact is would Pattison have had that pretty nauseating show of affection from ...''all the lads'' had he NOT been caught drink driving? No, of course not. I have never seen anything like that sort of reaction before when a Norwich player has been subbed. You get the odd pat on the back and that''s it.   

I''m not saying we or his team mates should snub him but why did they not carry on as before, why go deliberately out of their way to show that public support?  This has nothing to do with ...''never making a mistake'' (as some call it), anyway was it ''a mistake''?

The reaction of the players was predictable yet disturbing. It was an attitude typical of today''s society .i.e.'' lets ignore the crime this guy''s committted, he was just unucky to get caught''.  

I think he was treated like this because today he had a very good game.

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[quote user="jim blair"]Can anybody explain why he was treated like some kind of hero today?[/quote]

I totally agree with you Jim, pity others who have replied have missed the point.

Of course I supported Pattison this afternoon but no more and no less than on any other occasion. Fact is would Pattison have had that pretty nauseating show of affection from ...''all the lads'' had he NOT been caught drink driving? No, of course not. I have never seen anything like that sort of reaction before when a Norwich player has been subbed. You get the odd pat on the back and that''s it.   

I''m not saying we or his team mates should snub him but why did they not carry on as before, why go deliberately out of their way to show that public support?  This has nothing to do with ...''never making a mistake'' (as some call it), anyway was it ''a mistake''?

The reaction of the players was predictable yet disturbing. It was an attitude typical of today''s society .i.e.'' lets ignore the crime this guy''s committted, he was just unucky to get caught''.  

[/quote]

Agree with you both.  I think that nobody is saying that ''there before the grace of god fall I'', but the thing is that he has done wrong (both to the club and in the eyes of the law).

Whether they like it or not, professional football players, who are rewarded handsomely, live their lives in the public eye.  What the players and the Roeder have done wrong in my eyes is to publically support the player.  They may well choose to provide support to Pattison, behind the scenes (in fact I would believe they should), but in the face of the public they certainly shouldnt be seen to be doing this.

I will of course always support our players on the pitch.

For those of you that think Pattison was treated better than what was deserved today by the fans and the players, I bet that you lot would be the first one''s to moans about the state of team spirit etc. if the crowd had booed him or the players were despondant towards him.He''s a 21 year old lad who clearly enjoys a pint. In all honesty I think everything has been blown out of proportion by newspapers making up false allegations and certain people on message boards saying that he''s a disgrace and should be shot.The boy wears his heart on his sleeve for this club and puts his head where others wouldnt dare put their feet.SO STOP WHINGING AND GET BEHIND HIM LIKE THE REST OF US!

Well done yellow river!!! at last somebody gets the point. a question then for some of you who clearly didnt get the point..how would you have felt if whilst over the limit he caused an incident involving a loved one or a friend ? yes people do make mistakes,including myself , but i thought pattisons treatment this afternoon brought shame to our fine club and city.

[quote user="cityangel"]

Because both his team mates and the fans who know he''s made a stupid mistake were making a statement to say that he''s one of us and whilst he''s wearing the shirt he''ll be treated like it.

[/quote]

so if he wasnt wearing the shirt he''d be treated like sh*t would he?

jas :)

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

[/quote]

Yeah that sums it up well for me. I applauded him as he went off, but no more or no less then anyone else. My point is he is a norwich player, and while he is in the shirt (Whether or not he should be there), and especially in our current predicament I will support him like any other. He hasnt been convicted yet, and to be honest with all the rubbish press reports going around I doubt anyone knows the full facts.

However if he is convicted then will have no objections whatsoever as the dozey sod shouldnt have been drinking that much the night before training, or at least get a taxi in to colney, not exactly out of his price bracket.

[quote user="jim blair"]Well done yellow river!!! at last somebody gets the point. a question then for some of you who clearly didnt get the point..how would you have felt if whilst over the limit he caused an incident involving a loved one or a friend ? yes people do make mistakes,including myself , but i thought pattisons treatment this afternoon brought shame to our fine club and city.[/quote]The point is that so far no-one knows the precise facts. All we know is that Pattison was arrested for being over the limit (we don''t know exactly how much) and that the club so far haven''t made a statement on the matter.  We have a tabloid story about the player turning up at the Colney gates in his pants and being checked into a rehab clinic, which Glenn Roeder has poured scorn on. It could be a simple case that he was drinking the night before, got the day wrong and didn''t realise he was over the limit. Until we know the facts, we can''t comment eitherway.

I think the simple point here is that Pattison has been charged with drink driving but not convicted . I was dismayed with the very "public" show of support for somebody who may or may not be guilty of a serious offence which has the potential to inflict serious consequences on unsuspecting members of the public. If the club feel they want to support a player in this situation then surely it makes sense to keep it within. As for" needing our support" I find it hard to understand how you can make such a daft statement. Better to wait for the outcome along with the full facts before making a judgement . It may well turn out the "muppet" is someone other than Jim Blair whose concern I fully endorse.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

so if he wasnt wearing the shirt he''d be treated like sh*t would he?

jas :)

[/quote]

Thats not what I meant Jas!!

Personally i applauded him off today as he had a very good game. As for the players'' gesture to him.....im all for it. To me it showed that no matter what happens they will all stick together through thick and thin. Well played Patty....

Oh dear, matts cousin thinks a spelling mistake along with my comments make me a muppett. makes me wonder sometimes!!

If a scum player had been [charged with] drink driving we would crucify him, so why is Matty treated like a hero, or given the sort of reception as if a member of his family died? Sad times. Great result though!

Dear lord, here we go... the self-righteous, pedastal-perched, pc brigade have come out, as usual. The thing is, we have no idea as to the facts of the situation, other than that he was arrested for being over the legal blood-alcohol limit whilst driving his car.  Rumour suggests this happened the morning after a drinking session whilst he was in his pants and on his way to Colney under the mistaken belief that he was running late for a training session.How many here have driven their car the morning after drinking alcohol, and be honest here? Jim, have you? Jas, Yellow, have you? Do you know anyone who has, and have you thus cast them adrift for it or just ignored it?  Lets face it, many many people across the country do this every single day, mostly without incident, and I doubt anyone here even cares enough to write a post about it.  The ones we''re most worried about are the people who go to the pub, drink alcohol and then hop straight into their cars.  These are the ones at most risk of causing an incident or injury to others, since the alcohol is directly affecting their judgement and control.Now if it is revealed that Matty has done this, then the club should take internal action.  At present, we do not know the full facts, so we should withhold judgement.  Regardless of how much money the player makes, or how much he is in the "public eye", the law of this country states that every individual is innocent until proven guilty.Now, put this into the context of the game.  Would we rather that, at this crucial stage of the season, an important player like Patterson is immediately villified, cast out from the team, and publicly blasted by the club?  Or would we rather that "innocent until proven guilty" is applied, that he is allowed to play in the team (and play very well, it seems) and is given support by his friends and colleagues and fans of the club, and that he can move on from this incident and continue to develop into a good player?I know which I''d choose.Unfortunately, it seems that the pedestals of some are so high that they''ve forgotten what its like to be Human...

Hey Jim, what are your feelings about Lee Hughes at Oldham. He did kill a man and left the scene of the crime. and has been given a second chance ( with cult following from the Oldham fans from rumours I''ve heard.)

Hopefully this will stop a "young" man from getting in to this sort of trouble and to critise him wwon''t help him in any way. It''s during the bad times you really need you''re friends and support.

We all get the point you are desperately trying to make.  However he has not been convicted and we dont know the details AT ALL.  In your world of fairness where we must protect loved ones blah blah blah you would evidently not be fair to people charged with crimes.  Innocent until proven guilty is the term in the universe the rest of us live in.

[quote user="jim blair"]Well done yellow river!!! at last somebody gets the point. a question then for some of you who clearly didnt get the point..how would you have felt if whilst over the limit he caused an incident involving a loved one or a friend ? yes people do make mistakes,including myself , but i thought pattisons treatment this afternoon brought shame to our fine club and city.[/quote]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Dear lord, here we go... the self-righteous, pedastal-perched, pc brigade have come out, as usual. The thing is, we have no idea as to the facts of the situation, other than that he was arrested for being over the legal blood-alcohol limit whilst driving his car.  Rumour suggests this happened the morning after a drinking session whilst he was in his pants and on his way to Colney under the mistaken belief that he was running late for a training session.How many here have driven their car the morning after drinking alcohol, and be honest here? Jim, have you? Jas, Yellow, have you? Do you know anyone who has, and have you thus cast them adrift for it or just ignored it?  Lets face it, many many people across the country do this every single day, mostly without incident, and I doubt anyone here even cares enough to write a post about it.  The ones we''re most worried about are the people who go to the pub, drink alcohol and then hop straight into their cars.  These are the ones at most risk of causing an incident or injury to others, since the alcohol is directly affecting their judgement and control.Now if it is revealed that Matty has done this, then the club should take internal action.  At present, we do not know the full facts, so we should withhold judgement.  Regardless of how much money the player makes, or how much he is in the "public eye", the law of this country states that every individual is innocent until proven guilty.Now, put this into the context of the game.  Would we rather that, at this crucial stage of the season, an important player like Patterson is immediately villified, cast out from the team, and publicly blasted by the club?  Or would we rather that "innocent until proven guilty" is applied, that he is allowed to play in the team (and play very well, it seems) and is given support by his friends and colleagues and fans of the club, and that he can move on from this incident and continue to develop into a good player?I know which I''d choose.Unfortunately, it seems that the pedestals of some are so high that they''ve forgotten what its like to be Human...[/quote]I think this sums the situation up perfectly.  The applause was (a) for a reasonably good performance, and (b) to show that we''ll support him through his issues, whatever they may turn out to be.  Neither should we expect to know all the facts as I don''t want his personal life thoroughly aired in public - not interested.

[quote user="ronbol ronbol"]However I find it hard to support a player that as a pro footballer has even put himself in that position. maybe in time i''ll forgive and for now i''ll let him face the conviction that probably awaits him. [/quote]Golly, that''s awfully big of you.

have to agree with you 100%. im norwich through and through and whilst i thought he played well yesterday i cannot cheer someone who has been charged with drink driving. my dad was killed by a drunk driver when i was 8 and i was badly injured as well and someone in his position should be setting an example.

if i had been in charge i would have suspended him for yesterdays game, even though i like him as a player, just to show that his actions do have consequences. i have to admit as well that i was disappointed with the crowds reaction when he went off as even though i thought he played well he would have learnt more if the crowd had gone slient when he was subbed.

i was also concerned with the celebrations after the penalty as it looked very much like cahills celebration for everton a couple of weeks ago after his brother got jailed crossing the arms as if handcuffed. could anyone shed some light on this?

sorry for the essay but needed to get it off my chest

OTBC

[quote user="matt crowhurst"]

have to agree with you 100%. im norwich through and through and whilst i thought he played well yesterday i cannot cheer someone who has been charged with drink driving. my dad was killed by a drunk driver when i was 8 and i was badly injured as well and someone in his position should be setting an example.

if i had been in charge i would have suspended him for yesterdays game, even though i like him as a player, just to show that his actions do have consequences. i have to admit as well that i was disappointed with the crowds reaction when he went off as even though i thought he played well he would have learnt more if the crowd had gone slient when he was subbed.

i was also concerned with the celebrations after the penalty as it looked very much like cahills celebration for everton a couple of weeks ago after his brother got jailed crossing the arms as if handcuffed. could anyone shed some light on this?

sorry for the essay but needed to get it off my chest

OTBC

[/quote]

Matt, Obviously this is a very sensitive issue to you, but I can asure that the crossed arms was intended as the sign of a strike in bowling. The players went after training and when Jamie scored Fozzie did the cross with his arms. Then JC pretended to roll a bowl, fozzie then fell over like he had been skittled out. I actually thought it was a very original goal celebration.