Sign in to follow this  
Lurd

Jason McAteer

Released by sunderland, i presume because they cannot afford his wages. Do you think he could cut it for us? He is the kind of battler we need, with plenty of prem experience and can play defence and midfield on the right? I think he''d make a very good squad player..

Not at all convinced. Just an ageing Div1 player as far as I can see. Certainly not better than what we have.
At this stage most of the released players are on their way down. They won''t all be rubbish - but many will be.

I think NW will be shrewd enough to find the jewels - can''t see McAteer being a jewel though!

I''m not sure if we''ve got the cash to have "squad players". We''re going to have a pretty small squad and surely anybody we bring in has got to be better than what we''ve already got? I''m not sure about McAteer. I see your point lurd that he might have only been realised from Sunderland because they can''t afford his wages. I would just worry that he has maybe had his day. How much better is he than our current crop?

Btw, I GUARANTEE that West Brom are linked with him in the next few days. I would bet a fiver!

Definatley not this man could start an argument with himself , i saw him in both play off semi finals all he was doin was winding up the opposition , lucky not to be sent off in both legs so i doubt worthy even consider him. OTBC

I disagree with the criticism of macteer. Living in Durham I see him play quite a lot at the SOL and he is a hard working passionate player. He can get a bit angsty but i put him more in the Alan Smith category which is no bad thing. Off the field he is a decent bloke and always happy to chat (he lives on my street - sorry not meaning to seem like his best mate or anything). As to his quality he has definitely shown it in the past and he is not that old.. I''d be prepared to give him a one season contract and see how he does. He is definitely as good, if not better than cooper and like huckerby deserves another shot in the top league. However I can see him being unwilling to leave the north of england. One downer is he is good friends with that ex-binner Stewart.

Big temperament problem! Sign him Worthy to improve the team spirit threefold!!! (Guaranteed the Baggies will have him now...good!)

Ha! Ha! Read in a Sunday paper today that the Baggies are possibly interested in speaking to McAteer. See folks...it works! Well done Worthy!

Phil Babb''s been released also!

Now I know we need cover at the back - but seriously!

Bjorklund might be worth a look as he has always has seemed solid