Sign in to follow this  
Bobert

Two leagues of equal standing

With three Championship teams in the Semi-finals of the FA Cup it has made we wonder why the Championship does not discard Leagues 1 and 2 and meet the Premiership head-on on the basis of equality.

The American League and the National League do it very successfuly with American Football and it would seem to me that the Championship could get a whole pile of TV money by demonstrating that they are equal to (it not better then) the Premiership.

Nuts to promotion we will make do with "Champions of England" with a play-off between the top four Premiership and top four Championship Clubs at the end of each season. Top four of this group of eight plays in Europe.

I think this is something that is destined to happen in the next 25 years, and in many ways the wheels have already begun turning towards it.When Premiership interest starts fading further (and it already is doing by the looks of it - nearly half of the Premiership seem to play in half-empty stadiums each week). I''m not sure whether it''d be a good thing though. Who''s to say that a further ten years down the line we won''t end up with a "big four" in our own version of the Premiership, whilst the rest of the division squabbles over mid-table and relegation.Best thing to do is salary cap players, give the money back to the clubs evenly and fairly in the interest of competition, send the big Premiership teams off packing into their own European Super Leaues and return to the Division 1, 2, 3, 4 structure of olden days.

Are you referring to the All American Football League? Because that''s failing quite magnificently to compete with the NFL. Currently there are only six teams, they are a year behind schedule and are expected in some areas to fold before the first game happens. One of the major sponsors of the AAFL is the NFL, presumably as a place for talent to develop.

The championship simply doesn''t compete with the Premier League in any way, how would they be able to secure TV funding comparable to that of the Premier League? An international audience will watch Man Utd play Chelsea, they won''t watch Stoke play Watford.

I credit Barnsley and Cardiff for what they have achieved against better opposition, but to extrapolate that to meaning that the Championship is anywhere near the standard of the Premier League is delusional.

Also the logistics of playing an extra 14 games at the end of the season to determine the european places are unworkable...

Sadly, we are the second tier.

Hi, Agree entirely with tickers views. Would just add -

When would these extra games take place?

Half empty stadiums, not good is it? I can think of Middlesborough, Blackburn, Fulham, Bolton and Derby, (3 of whom will go down).

Salary cap would presumably, mean that we would not attract the foreign players that we do now, many of whom, only come for the extra money?