Sign in to follow this  
Shack Attack

Roeder - We are lacking intelligence.

http://www.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED10%20Mar%202008%2019%3A00%3A49%3A190

This isn''t meant as a dig at Glenn Roeder before anyone starts. But surely he''s come to the conclusion about English players ''lacking the football intelligence'' of their European counterparts over a number of years not just after Saturdays game. If he thinks that they can only play in the role they are taught, and I assume he means that central midfielders are not equipped to play in a three man midfield, then why ask them to do it?

I think the majority of what he says is correct but it just seems an odd time to come out with it. Although perhaps he feels, or has been told, that he has to try to explain Saturdays performance because of the dissenting voices of some fans?

To be fair he was probably asked something like what really went wrong and why didn''t we play well.  I doubt that Glenn just woke up and felt like a rant.  That said for the vast majority of players this is true they are born to play one position and that is all they can play.  What I find interesting about your post is the bit on the creative midfielder.  Now I wouln''t personally say we have one, Fozzy is the one who is told to sit back and protect the defence, so that makes him a holding midfielder.  Russell is a possible goal scoring midfielder who gets himself in the box and pushes forward.  Pattison is a real battler.  In my mind a creative midfielder would be one who plays quite advanced and can play killer through balls and is generally an excellent passer.  Players like Safri and Huddlestone come to mind.  This is an interesting debate though.

As for playing three in the middle on saturday, well it shouldn''t be that hard they are all centre mid players it just means there is one more in there.  It is not like we are asking to play one on the right or left so it shouln''t be a problem.  That said some players are capable like Bertrand playing left back or left wing or Pattison play centre mid of left wing.  Even Cureton proved he can do a job wide left.  What is clear though is 4-5-1 doesn''t suit us and we should stick with the old classic 4-4-2.

Had to smile though, after slagging English players down for their low intelligence compared to European players, he then realized the first player he replaced was Velasco [a European player!] so spent the second half of the interview explaining how tired poor old Velasco was.In general I think most European managers are more intelligent than English managers, at least they know Spain is in Europe!

This is nothing new.One of the biggest criticisms of British football is that it is all about drills, drills, drills. There have been plenty of managers that have come out and said that what the English game lacks at the moment is the element of players that you can not coach.The likes of Rooney, Joe Cole etc have those "extras". It is not the sort of intelligence that you get tested in an IQ test for but more of a perception and understanding of how a game of football works and understanding every position.Brasilian players are brought up on footsall which is a form of street football played with a much heavier ball. It is something the FA is trying to introduce to this country, because the ball is heavier it encourages passing and because of the tight constraints of the small pitch it incurages accuracy and more touches. Effectively it teaches you football instincts.The biggest part of learning for kids is playing. The more they play the better. You can on realy drill into them the basics and fitness the rest need to be encouraged on the pitch in training and competetive games.This is a major difficulty for our nation at the moment because it seems to relish in failure as much if not more than it does in success.