Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

The Delia Show!

Did anyone else see Delia''s new show. All about how to make quick meals etc. Nice to see all the bits about Norwich too. Good show so far!

Yeah, just saw it.

Good exposure for the football club, it showed her in a good light, even featuring the lets be havin u speech! Even Chris Goreham could be heard on commentery.

And i bet you never realised how useful packet potatoes could be!

Talk about promoting NCFC, the show was a sponsors dream, prime TV audience and free publicity, that''s a value you can not put on Delia, it''s worth more than money.

True fact, a mate of mine who is works for a major food supplier was asked to list one of their new lines by one of the top 4 supermarkets because the item mentioned in Delia''s new book, I should tell Delia and perhaps she could tap them up for some sponsorship.

It was a pretty decent effort, and can only be good for the club so far - you won''t see other Championship (or Premiership) sides having anything like the sort of free publicity on primetime tv that NCFC will presumably get for its catering in the programmes to come.  The recipes were ok too; it is a fact that Supermarkets were put on alert to what the programme was showing - and presumably they will all be looking forward to extremely strong sales of frozen mashed potato in the coming days!

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]It was a pretty decent effort, and can only be good for the club so far - you won''t see other Championship (or Premiership) sides having anything like the sort of free publicity on primetime tv that NCFC will presumably get for its catering in the programmes to come.  The recipes were ok too; it is a fact that Supermarkets were put on alert to what the programme was showing - and presumably they will all be looking forward to extremely strong sales of frozen mashed potato in the coming days![/quote]

Was thinking the same too, all good for the club, I say.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]It was a pretty decent effort, and can only be good for the club so far - you won''t see other Championship (or Premiership) sides having anything like the sort of free publicity on primetime tv that NCFC will presumably get for its catering in the programmes to come.  The recipes were ok too; it is a fact that Supermarkets were put on alert to what the programme was showing - and presumably they will all be looking forward to extremely strong sales of frozen mashed potato in the coming days![/quote]

Was thinking the same too, all good for the club, I say.

Who is she catering for though?

Working-class plebs won''t even watch it ''cause they''re either down the social club or gambling their kids giro money/Tax Credits on computer bingo, and the few that viewed the programme will still live off fish & chips, Macdonalds or bung Tescos own ready-made meals into a microwave.

Middle-class folk will continue the strive to impress their bosses & middle-class guests by cooking fancy dishes the conventional way, whilst the higher classes will remain dining in the likes of Galton Blackiston''s Morston Hall, like she & Michael do.

Overall, though, isn''t it a sad sign of the times when one can''t be bothered to hand mash a f****n* potato?

There''s image and image.

Seems to me that what emerges from this is Delia = strong brand, Delia''s club = weak brand

The sum seems to me to = mum''s club.

Comfort is certainly not part of professional football.

So - good for her, probably - good for us, unlikely/

And that''s the way I see it. Sorry not to be more warm and cuddly.

OTBC

For a woman who openly admits she hates cooking and gets out of it as often as she can, she has a remarkably well-equipped kitchen - and garden shed!I got the impression that the show is a vehicle for her to quickly get into step with the Naked Chef and ''just like that'' Martin - both of whom are now featured growing produce from their own gardens - well, did you see the shots of Delia in her garden?I was not impressed with the ''Let''s be ''avin you!'' section. I felt you could see the embarrassment on her face but it was an attempt to show the whole episode in a more ''sober'' acceptable light.As for helping the club I cannot see that at all. I felt it showed Norwich up as a little old homely club, with the boss and her whole family turning up at home games for a jolly get together. And as for her welcoming players ...  the least said about that embarrassing episode the better.I used to like watching Delia cook but the new series looks to me like it is going to be a most disappointing experience.PS: Can anyone explain what cornishons are? Delia used them in last night''s episode but I notice on her web site she is also appealing for information on them. Never heard of them.

[quote user="shyster"]

Who is she catering for though?

Working-class plebs won''t even watch it ''cause they''re either down the social club or gambling their kids giro money/Tax Credits on computer bingo, and the few that viewed the programme will still live off fish & chips, Macdonalds or bung Tescos own ready-made meals into a microwave.

Middle-class folk will continue the strive to impress their bosses & middle-class guests by cooking fancy dishes the conventional way, whilst the higher classes will remain dining in the likes of Galton Blackiston''s Morston Hall, like she & Michael do.

Overall, though, isn''t it a sad sign of the times when one can''t be bothered to hand mash a f****n* potato?

[/quote]

Maybe she''s catering for ''working class plebs'' like me who like to cook. I''d never use frozen mashed potato though [:P] .

Seriously though, I guess she''s looking to appeal to the large numbers of people who buy books written by Jamie Oliver, Hugh Fearnly-Wotsit and Gordon Ramsey but never make any of the dishes because they don''t know where to get half the ingredients. Nothing to do with ''class'' and all to do with cost and availability. But frozen mashed potato, sort it out Delia [:''(] .

[quote user="The voice of the Thorpe Area"]

Blimey, no complaints about a board member, what''s going on?

I saw little bits of it, good to see a wee little look at Carrow Road, this can only benefit us.

[/quote]

Happy to ablige.

As I refuse to watch a woman who I consider is single handedly holding back my football club, I find it tragic that ''Deliarites'' think this programme is/will do us any good on a national basis

7 points from relegation.

Try digesting that recipe for failure![:|]

....she should have at least a Canary fridge magnet in her kitchen, there was nothing in (the shots of) her house signifying a love/ownership of the club - missed opportunity. However she is a cut above the rest of the TV chef pondlife - a refreshing change from Oliver land and all his boring mates.

[quote user="Budgie"]

PS: Can anyone explain what cornishons are? Delia used them in last night''s episode but I notice on her web site she is also appealing for information on them. Never heard of them.

[/quote]

"Cornichon is a French word, but is in a little more common usage among English speakers. Cornichons are pickled gherkin cucumbers."

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="The voice of the Thorpe Area"]

I saw little bits of it, good to see a wee little look at Carrow Road, this can only benefit us.

[/quote]

Happy to ablige.

As I refuse to watch a woman who I consider is single handedly holding back my football club, I find it tragic that ''Deliarites'' think this programme is/will do us any good on a national basis

[/quote]

Wonderful spelling today Wiz!.[;)]

[quote user="Web Team - Pete"]

[quote user="Budgie"]

PS: Can anyone explain what cornishons are? Delia used them in last night''s episode but I notice on her web site she is also appealing for information on them. Never heard of them.

[/quote]

"Cornichon is a French word, but is in a little more common usage among English speakers. Cornichons are pickled gherkin cucumbers."

[/quote]

So if that means the sale of cornichons goes up and the shops run out I will be happy because my other half is French and I have had the miss fortune to find them in many of my meals over the past ten years!

I won''t miss them.

Does anyone know if it will be repeated for those of us who missed it?

[quote user="shyster"]

[/quote]

Well if we all have to be in one of those groups I''m gonna have MacDonalds for tea and then go to the social club after I''ve had a few games of bingo!

Is that really how you see people???

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="shyster"]

[/quote]

Well if we all have to be in one of those groups I''m gonna have MacDonalds for tea and then go to the social club after I''ve had a few games of bingo!

[/quote]

I''m going to go to McDonalds for breakfast, make a fancy sandwich to impress my boss at lunch and hang around outside Morston Hall to see if there are any leftovers at tea time. Then I''ll meet you down the social club and we''ll share my Galton Blackiston doggy bag over a few pints and a game of bingo [:D] .

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="shyster"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I''m going to go to McDonalds for breakfast, make a fancy sandwich to impress my boss at lunch and hang around outside Morston Hall to see if there are any leftovers at tea time. Then I''ll meet you down the social club and we''ll share my Galton Blackiston doggy bag over a few pints and a game of bingo [:D] .

[/quote]

See you there Shacks!

You''ll easy recognise me as I''ll be eating fish & chips wrapped in the Cromer Crab Line [Y]

[/quote]

Happy to ablige.

[/quote]

Come on Wizard, brighten up. It will only take one good burp for us to move up six places in this division.

( That should also answer cityangel''s question, "Does anyone know if it will be repeated for those of us who missed it?"

[/quote]

Happy to ablige.

[/quote]

Come on Wizard, brighten up. It will only take one good burp for us to move up six places in this division.

( That should also answer cityangel''s question, "Does anyone know if it will be repeated for those of us who missed it?"

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Web Team - Pete"]

You can watch it online CA:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b009f3wg.shtml?src=ip_potpw

[/quote]

Thanks Pete, just watched it and enjoyed it, off now to buy some frozen potatoes.

[/quote]

Please don''t -- if you''ve enough time to post on an internet message board then there''s no excuse for not making proper mashed potato.

I watched it and there were a few references to the club in her house ( they showed a scarf hanging up in her house and some sort of cartoon painting). Funny camera action though spoilt it, is this the BBC trying to copy Channel 4?

Sadly though the cooking itself didn''t impress. Delia maybe tapping into a market where she will make a killing (and the sight of Nigel Slater and the chocolate cake was a highlight), but for those of us who were probably taught to cook with her original books this was a disappointment.

Before you lay the age thing on me, I have taught both my kids to cook with her books, and others and I appreciate it''s probably a cookery series for overworked 30 somethings. However, it''s not hard to cook - and the thought of buying grated cheese makes me want to weep. How lazy can you get? I felt sorry for Michael as well, getting told off!!

Sorry Delia, the inclusion of the club footage will probably bring in a few more fans and she did look a bit more relaxed on TV than she normally does, but times have moved on and she''s not a patch on Jamie Oliver, Nigella Lawson or Rick Stein.