Sign in to follow this  
silver fox

Who is the better central defender Doherty or Pearce?

Having had several amicable differences of opinion with my fellow poster Nutty Nigel, I believe Pearce to be a better all round central defender than Doherty.  I am keen to find out the thoughts of our fellow posters.

tiny taylor is of course the better defender, and if poor ole roedy had valued the player according to market conditions - this question would be irrelevant!!!in response to your question SR, i''d say, pearce has more promise, looks a better footballer, but needs to fill his frame out to be better class.  at the mo, he''s too slight for the prem imo.  mind you - a beefier shax also struggled against brick house sidibe.  i''d play the doc ahead of pearce every time - especally now we need to get points on the boards.

Pearce has made a only a handful of first team appearances and looks a great prospect, not only defensively but his quality of distribution too. He''s still learning his trade though and is by no means the finished article, and you can expect a few blips and issues of inexperience along the way before he is.

Doherty is probably the more reliable of the two at present as a seasoned chamionship centre back. However, I would expect Pearce to be streets ahead of Doc if he fulfils his potential in the next year or two.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]tiny taylor is of course the better defender, and if poor ole roedy had valued the player according to market conditions - this question would be irrelevant!!!

in response to your question SR, i''d say, pearce has more promise, looks a better footballer, but needs to fill his frame out to be better class.  at the mo, he''s too slight for the prem imo.  mind you - a beefier shax also struggled against brick house sidibe. 

i''d play the doc ahead of pearce every time - especally now we need to get points on the boards.
[/quote]

Taylor is over-rated, he was on the losing side three out of his eight games (4 wins and a draw the rest), not much better than what we have already.....

[quote user="Stone"]

Pearce has made a only a handful of first team appearances and looks a great prospect, not only defensively but his quality of distribution too. He''s still learning his trade though and is by no means the finished article, and you can expect a few blips and issues of inexperience along the way before he is.

Doherty is probably the more reliable of the two at present as a seasoned chamionship centre back. However, I would expect Pearce to be streets ahead of Doc if he fulfils his potential in the next year or two.

[/quote]

I think you''re spot on.

Taylor.

We''ve already had the argument about the stats and context with nutty - which I won hands down.[:D][;)]

Unfortunately Bunny seems to have myxomatosis.[:''(]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Taylor.

We''ve already had the argument about the stats and context with nutty - which I won hands down.[:D][;)]

OTBC

[/quote]

You are Cluck!!!

Let me go find that bowl of custard! [:''(]

Pearce obviously has bags of potential but Doherty is much stronger, more consitant in the air and better at blocking shots and runs into the box. No comparison for me but I agree with most others on here that Pearce will ultimately prove the better player.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Taylor.

OTBC

[/quote]

You are Cluck!!!

[/quote]

I just luuuurrrrrvv custard.

Birds or egg - any way you want

Just hurry up please before I dehydrate![:)]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Taylor.

OTBC

[/quote]

You are Cluck!!!

[/quote]

I just luuuurrrrrvv custard.

Birds or egg - any way you want

Just hurry up please before I dehydrate![:)]

OTBC

[/quote]

I like yours to be yellow and dangerous [;)]

Doherty at the moment. Pearce should turn out to be a good future prospect, though with youngsters there''s always the danger that early on they flatter to deceive and can''t keep up their initial promise.

Don''t know why our defence gets so much stick though - thought we defended well last night apart from the one glitch (and against a team of man-mountains and a horrible long throw in a tricky wind we won''t have been the only team to have been caught out that way). The problem is our lack of firepower/basic finishing ability and our very average midfield.

Doherty gets slated for his footballing abilty, but in my mind he looks like Bobby Moore when you compare him to someone like Patterson grafting about ineffectively in front of him.

[quote user="silver fox"]Having had several amicable differences of opinion with my fellow poster Nutty Nigel, I believe Pearce to be a better all round central defender than Doherty.  I am keen to find out the thoughts of our fellow posters.[/quote]

I like them both, but Doc''s your used Ford Mondeo starting to depreciate slightly with each long journey, whereas Pearce has the potential to be at least an Audi A4.

(Well OK, Bobby Moore was a bit of an overstatement. Probably more like Brain Moore!)