Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Why some are nervous about Roeder's management style

I would be the first to admit that Glenn Roeder has almost certainly saved us from relegation this season, and for that, he deserves all the kudos and respect, and a big hug from me. Although i get the feeling he''d probably lamp anyone who tried that in the street!

His style was just what we needed at the time he came in. No nonsense, don''t ask questions, don''t argue, do what i say and we''ll get out of this. Stage 1, mission accomplished. (Hope i''m not counting any chickens there since we''re not safe yet!)

Football management is mostly about achieving and then maintaining a standard that is high enough to progress a club to where it wants to be. Roeder set a standard and set it high. He achieved it for a while, and if we''re honest, got us over-achieving. But we can''t expect him or the players to keep that up without some injection of extra quality.

But it''s the way he reacts when the standard falls that bothers me. He does go in for a lot of the psychological stuff that he really shouldn''t bother himself or the club with. That Watford nonsense about their ''unique'' football was such a load of bull. Barely a week later he was saying that Stoke are much the same as Watford. But hang on Glenn, i thought Watford were unique. I don''t care that what was actually going on was that he was choosing to have a dig at Watford, damning them with faint praise and making out his ''brand'' of football was superior. Which it may well be given the same resources. But why bother Glenn, what''s the point? Concentrate on your own team. Is this how you treat your players, little digs here, little digs there? I rather think it might be given much of what you say in the press. And this is what concerns me. Add this to the reports of similar alienating behaviour that any West Ham or Newcastle fan could relate to, and you have the makings of another Glenn... Hoddle. Very astute football brain (not as astute though in GRs case) but fatally flawed in the most important aspect of football management - man management.

I hope i''ve got him all wrong, i really do. And i also can''t stand it when people are critical of something or someone and then say "i hope i''m wrong" as some kind of get out in case they ARE wrong. And now i''m doing it. But it''s not a get out, really, it''s just that i do have this concern about him and his management style. And i don''t think i''m the only one.  Or am i? 

I understand where you''re coming from a1 but the problem is we are losing games and sliding back down the table. If we were winning games and climbing up the table people would react differently to what the manager has to say.

The mood of the fans will always mirror the fortune of the team and that governs the way we react to what we read and hear. I bet sometimes Roeder would prefer not to give any interview but there''s no hiding place in this media obsessed age.

Wiz is the best barometer to the mood of the fans, in varying degrees there''s a First Wizard in all of us! [;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Wiz is the best barometer to the mood of the fans, in varying degrees there''s a First Wizard in all of us! [;)]

[/quote]

Oh, you poor sods![:D]

i don''t think 1st wiz was the 1st wizzard .. i heard that was some sort of seedy barron playing fuss on the ol'' cornhole was