Sign in to follow this  
BBFF

The snake pit?

Can anyone help, why is the snake pit called the snake pit?

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

Game against QPR in 1996... everytime Andy Impey got the ball for some reason they hissed at him....

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

Game against QPR in 1996... everytime Andy Impey got the ball for some reason they hissed at him....

jas :)

[/quote]Thanks

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

I am 100% convinced of my theory, but have never heard anyone else confirm it for me.Soon after the Thorpe Corner was built, I definitely heard the Barclay sing "Steep bit, give us a song" (because the seats in the corner are at a steeper angle than those in the Barclay).I''m pretty sure that Snake Pit grew from Steep bit.Am I insane?

This one dates back to Roman times. Gladiatorial contests, like chariot races, were originally held in large open spaces with temporary seating; there is evidence that some munera were held in the Roman Forum, for example. As the games became more frequent and popular, there was need for a larger and more permanent structure. Although the Circus Maximus was often pressed into service because of its huge seating capacity, the Romans eventually designed a building specifically for this type of spectacle (called an amphitheatrum because the seating extended all the way around the oval or elliptical performance area. Famed for their loyal service to the spectacle despite their lower status in Roman society, the term Ekans was formed which derived from Econs, (or economy seaters) which described the lower classes that sat in the curved areas at the end of the elliptical amphitheatrum.

Tradition around this time was that due to their fame and loyal support of the contests, the wealthier spectators would throw coins to them as a charitable event. The Ekans would often hold up signs saying ''Tip Ekans'', encouraging the donation of coins. On his first visit to the arena, Claudius preened himself in his mirror whilst waiting for the first contest of the day and caught sight of one of the many signs being held up in the mirror. In his confusion he exclaimed ''Snake Pit!'' whilst reading the sign backwards and it was then seen as fit to change the name of this area of the arena to spare the blushes of the emperor.

If I''m wrong, then ''Call my Bluff''

..........Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it "the snake pit", which of course in German means a whale''s vagina............

.............I''m sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don''t know what it means. I''ll be honest, I don''t think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.

Thank you Ron Burgundy. I believe it is called the Snake Pit because the fans who originally watched from there smelled like the underarms (pits) of snakes.

[quote user="canaries in Bed"]Because they are all slimey te he.................[/quote]

i agree ..

The area is probably called the snake pit cause from the late 90''s it has been occupied by vociferous Canary fans, mainly old Barclay terrace fans fed up up of the parts of the Barclay lower becoming a teenybobber area! 

I have always wondered this too.  I think the most likely reason is the one that Jas :) said.

[quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[/quote]

On account of the abundance of polyester clothing, and the "humourous" abuse dished out to all away players. I think it should be rebranded the Chav Pit.

[quote user="Yellow Rages"]

This one dates back to Roman times. Gladiatorial contests, like chariot races, were originally held in large open spaces with temporary seating; there is evidence that some munera were held in the Roman Forum, for example. As the games became more frequent and popular, there was need for a larger and more permanent structure. Although the Circus Maximus was often pressed into service because of its huge seating capacity, the Romans eventually designed a building specifically for this type of spectacle (called an amphitheatrum because the seating extended all the way around the oval or elliptical performance area. Famed for their loyal service to the spectacle despite their lower status in Roman society, the term Ekans was formed which derived from Econs, (or economy seaters) which described the lower classes that sat in the curved areas at the end of the elliptical amphitheatrum.

Tradition around this time was that due to their fame and loyal support of the contests, the wealthier spectators would throw coins to them as a charitable event. The Ekans would often hold up signs saying ''Tip Ekans'', encouraging the donation of coins. On his first visit to the arena, Claudius preened himself in his mirror whilst waiting for the first contest of the day and caught sight of one of the many signs being held up in the mirror. In his confusion he exclaimed ''Snake Pit!'' whilst reading the sign backwards and it was then seen as fit to change the name of this area of the arena to spare the blushes of the emperor.

If I''m wrong, then ''Call my Bluff''

[/quote]

OOOH OOOH OOHH, i call bluff i call bluff. [:D]

Emporer(sp?) Claude didn''t speak English!!

do i win anything?! [:P][:)][:P][:)]

[quote user="Beaker"]

..........Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it "the snake pit", which of course in German means a whale''s vagina............

.............I''m sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don''t know what it means. I''ll be honest, I don''t think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.

[/quote]I think you will find it means Saint Diego - While we are on questions, am i right in thinking that Diversity is an old old wooden ship, used in the civil war era?

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Beaker"]

[/quote]

I think you will find it means Saint Diego - While we are on questions, am i right in thinking that Diversity is an old old wooden ship, used in the civil war era?
[/quote]

(as brick) *nods head in agreement*

My understanding was that it derived from a critical letter sent to the EDP mistakenly believing that the ''infill'' was responsible for racist chanting. The naive correspondent claimed that that area of the ground was like a ''snake-pit'' of vipers. Correct me if I am wrong, as I am no fact and figures nerd, but my recollection was that we were chanting ''Ulf, Ulf, Ulf'''' in honour of Ulf Ottosson (who played for City in 1997), and some people mistook this for racist monkey chants. That''s it.