Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

would it be a bad thing to be relegated???

in the best interests of NCFC would''nt it be best to see a new majority shareholder at the club???  aside from 2 seasons, the rest have been poor failures.  these are the facts.  at the business end - we''re closer to relegation to the 3rd division than at any time in 40 years.  we''ve the smallest first team squad in our history.  ( we don;t own half of ''em).  MWJ was right on one thing - its a watershed season.  if we went down, surely delia would walk, and we could get some new blood onto the board who are fully in-step with today''s crazy football world???  although the way she clung onto worthy it wouldn''t be a foregone conclusion.or even if we survived by goal difference, then wouldn''t that produce a revolution at board level thats sorely needed imo???  so being in the cr@p may just be the best thing for the club - a mid-table posi means business as usual for the powers that be.  fozzy and roedy recently issued a prem challenge to the board - all i''ve seen from cullen, mumby and doncaster is the same old evasive pap that ultimately means insufficient funds to properly do the job.  but, i don''t envy their task one jot, being skint and trying to make ends meet is stressful and not much fun.  roeder has done a good job until recently - but clearly if he had the dosh, (and further assurances of more in the summer) he''d have signed tiny, and wouldn''t have signed 4 young loanees.  ''what else could i do???''  i believe him on that one....

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]in the best interests of NCFC would''nt it be best to see a new majority shareholder at the club???  aside from 2 seasons, the rest have been poor failures.  these are the facts.  at the business end - we''re closer to relegation to the 3rd division than at any time in 40 years.  we''ve the smallest first team squad in our history.  ( we don;t own half of ''em).  MWJ was right on one thing - its a watershed season. 

if we went down, surely delia would walk, and we could get some new blood onto the board who are fully in-step with today''s crazy football world???  although the way she clung onto worthy it wouldn''t be a foregone conclusion.

or even if we survived by goal difference, then wouldn''t that produce a revolution at board level thats sorely needed imo??? 

so being in the cr@p may just be the best thing for the club - a mid-table posi means business as usual for the powers that be. 

fozzy and roedy recently issued a prem challenge to the board - all i''ve seen from cullen, mumby and doncaster is the same old evasive pap that ultimately means insufficient funds to properly do the job.  but, i don''t envy their task one jot, being skint and trying to make ends meet is stressful and not much fun. 

roeder has done a good job until recently - but clearly if he had the dosh, (and further assurances of more in the summer) he''d have signed tiny, and wouldn''t have signed 4 young loanees.  ''what else could i do???''  i believe him on that one....

[/quote]

It would be a terrible thing if we were relegated.

What makes you think Delia would walk away?  A full house of season tickets, a book to plug... we''re being treated like gullible suckers by a bunch of self-aggrandising celebrities and their cliques.

Relegation could be a disaster of biblical proportions for City. Adminstration for starters, as we have no one to sell and nigh on 20.000 adjustment refunds on season tickets to give back to fans.

Hell, even Mr Doncaster might have to resign.

Err?....................hang on................

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]in the best interests of NCFC would''nt it be best to see a new majority shareholder at the club???  aside from 2 seasons, the rest have been poor failures.  these are the facts.  at the business end - we''re closer to relegation to the 3rd division than at any time in 40 years.  we''ve the smallest first team squad in our history.  ( we don;t own half of ''em).  MWJ was right on one thing - its a watershed season. 

if we went down, surely delia would walk, and we could get some new blood onto the board who are fully in-step with today''s crazy football world???  although the way she clung onto worthy it wouldn''t be a foregone conclusion.

or even if we survived by goal difference, then wouldn''t that produce a revolution at board level thats sorely needed imo??? 

so being in the cr@p may just be the best thing for the club - a mid-table posi means business as usual for the powers that be. 

fozzy and roedy recently issued a prem challenge to the board - all i''ve seen from cullen, mumby and doncaster is the same old evasive pap that ultimately means insufficient funds to properly do the job.  but, i don''t envy their task one jot, being skint and trying to make ends meet is stressful and not much fun. 

roeder has done a good job until recently - but clearly if he had the dosh, (and further assurances of more in the summer) he''d have signed tiny, and wouldn''t have signed 4 young loanees.  ''what else could i do???''  i believe him on that one....

[/quote]

What makes you think Delia would walk away?  [/quote]

Simple answer.. shares lose value.... she wont be getting as much cash so it will be time to sell up and walk away

jas :)

It would be a mare, look what happened to Forest, they thought the same, god rid of their incompetant board and got new people in, doing well arn''t they?????????

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]in the best interests of NCFC would''nt it be best to see a new majority shareholder at the club???  aside from 2 seasons, the rest have been poor failures.  these are the facts.  at the business end - we''re closer to relegation to the 3rd division than at any time in 40 years.  we''ve the smallest first team squad in our history.  ( we don;t own half of ''em).  MWJ was right on one thing - its a watershed season.  if we went down, surely delia would walk, and we could get some new blood onto the board who are fully in-step with today''s crazy football world???  although the way she clung onto worthy it wouldn''t be a foregone conclusion.or even if we survived by goal difference, then wouldn''t that produce a revolution at board level thats sorely needed imo???  so being in the cr@p may just be the best thing for the club - a mid-table posi means business as usual for the powers that be.  fozzy and roedy recently issued a prem challenge to the board - all i''ve seen from cullen, mumby and doncaster is the same old evasive pap that ultimately means insufficient funds to properly do the job.  but, i don''t envy their task one jot, being skint and trying to make ends meet is stressful and not much fun.  roeder has done a good job until recently - but clearly if he had the dosh, (and further assurances of more in the summer) he''d have signed tiny, and wouldn''t have signed 4 young loanees.  ''what else could i do???''  i believe him on that one....

[/quote]

What makes you think Delia would walk away?  A full house of season tickets, a book to plug... we''re being treated like gullible suckers by a bunch of self-aggrandising celebrities and their cliques.

[/quote]sure choppo - bates didn''t walk from leeds thats true.  btw - don''t get me wrong - obviously relegation should never be courted - but if it were to

happen, it might turn out to be in the best long-term interests of the

club.  thats all i''m saying...

I fear that relegation would result to years of league 1 football. Not at any cost is it to be welcomed...after all some people said the same thing when relgated from Prem....dont underestimate how hard league 1 is

If we went down we wont be coming back up anytime soon thats for sure. I think it would be an absolute disaster. Which is why as fans we need to get behind the team and do our best to ensure this does not happen.

[/quote]

Actually Cullum is the one we actually want, lets not castigate him before he has even joined the Board (If he ever joins that is!)

Apart from that, if thats what it takes to be rid of Delia and get some proper investment then so be it.  The only problem is, would she actually go if we were relegated or would this just be a chance for the Board to invest even less money?

Would it be a bad thing to get relegated???  Now there''s a tough question!

Yeh it would.  Terrible.

The thing is i think we all know deep down that the boards reaction to relegation would be paranoia about the lost tv./ away supporter/ casual ticket revenue, so the first thing which would happen would be swinging cuts to the budget for squad strengthening in the summer- which would almost certainly result in Roeder, Fozzy, Doc, Croft and probably a few others leaving.  So we would start the season on a massive negative straight away much as we did when we came down from the Prem.  Our board budget for failure and in so-doing they blatantly court it.

Then of course we have the more practical stuff.  We will be seen as a big scalp by most of the clubs in that league and as we are more a "nice footballing club" than a "gritty, tough it out club" we are likely to be a soft touch.  I don`t believe City supporters will tolerate a switch to physical, direct football even if it improves our chances of promotion.  Sorry, but i think if we went down we would have ultra-prudence and paranoid extreme caution to thank for many years in the lower leagues.

Let''s just hope it''s only us and not the Board of NCFC who ask this question.

The reality is as a 3rd div team next year, the neccesary rebuilding of the squad could be comfortably achieved on a £3,000,000 budget. Obviously no guarantee of success but at least we''d have a full squad. If we don''t get relegated I fear we will lose not only most of the 15 or so we already expect but that we also lose one or two that we don''t expect to be leaving us. (Remember Earnshaw or Etuhu anyone?)

Even if and it''s a big if, none of our contracted players find a getout clause and a buyer, I just don''t believe that we have the funds to rebuild succesfully to Champs standard  in one fell swoop this Summer. We should have started in January, building a solid core of a team to go forwards with but penny pinching and that damned prudence got in the way.

In short, we''ve sold the tickets and banked the cash, now we could save immensely on transfers and wages just by going down a div. buying a little time for the off field investments to mature..... Or even worse just balancing the books for another year.

2008-2009 is THE year above any other year for NCFC to make a LOSS!!!! Offset it against previous profits and it''s not really that bad a thing to do Delia. But spend or sink if it''s not already too late.

To be relegated would be an absolute disaster. A very good friend of mine is a season ticket holder at Sheffield Wednesday and I will be sitting with him on the last day of the season as he sat with me at the home game. He fears that they will need to get a result against us to stay up(I''m beginning to have the same fear myself!!) . They have been to Div 1 and he says that after 3 years back in the Championship they are still recovering from the time spent away and never want to go back there again. We must do what ever it takes to stay in this league, if means a couple of ugly battles for the minimum six points we need then so be it. But survival must be followed by a 100% backing from the board (Delia is going nowhere) for our Manager.

What''s worse than the pompous and arrogant attitude which demands that Delia should put her entire life savings into this club, is that we should just "drop down" a division as if its a passing whim, like a drive down a nasty street to see how poor people live. If we get relegated it will be because we deserve to be, that means we will have been one of the owrst three teams out of 24 and there will be teams in the higher echelons of Div 1 who will be highly motivated to climb to the Champ. We will be on a spiral down they will be on a spiral up.

Anyone remember the "on Loan to the Endsleigh" signs when we wnet to Luton back in ''95? They got wrapped up pretty damn quickly.

And what I don''t understand is how some folks think that Delia is so unutterably bad that they would even countenance throwing this club''s whole future into doubt just to get in someone else yet they dont even know who or what he/she would do with the club? Frankly you''ll deserve what you get should that be your wish, some short term asset stripper who''ll move us to a brownfield industrial estate, sell off the ground, dividend out the gate receipts, pocket millions and walk away for someone else to pick up the mess.

March down Riverside if you really feel the need, but countenancing relegation is just a psychological ploy for the mentally weak to make acceptable the unacceptable.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]

What''s worse than the pompous and arrogant attitude which demands that Delia should put her entire life savings into this club, is that we should just "drop down" a division as if its a passing whim, like a drive down a nasty street to see how poor people live. If we get relegated it will be because we deserve to be, that means we will have been one of the owrst three teams out of 24 and there will be teams in the higher echelons of Div 1 who will be highly motivated to climb to the Champ. We will be on a spiral down they will be on a spiral up.

Anyone remember the "on Loan to the Endsleigh" signs when we wnet to Luton back in ''95? They got wrapped up pretty damn quickly.

And what I don''t understand is how some folks think that Delia is so unutterably bad that they would even countenance throwing this club''s whole future into doubt just to get in someone else yet they dont even know who or what he/she would do with the club? Frankly you''ll deserve what you get should that be your wish, some short term asset stripper who''ll move us to a brownfield industrial estate, sell off the ground, dividend out the gate receipts, pocket millions and walk away for someone else to pick up the mess.

March down Riverside if you really feel the need, but countenancing relegation is just a psychological ploy for the mentally weak to make acceptable the unacceptable.

[/quote]chelsea slumped and look where they are now.  also the man u rotted in the ole 2nd division, and look where they are now.   clubs do bounce back - but some don''t, its true.  no-one is saying delia is bad - but she''s looking old age - the footy world has moved on in the last 4 years and our board hasn''t.  regretfully, they haven''t got the finances to compete in this league.  and with no credible or serious prem intent - we''re a busted flush hoping for a miracle.  and with no prem intent, how long before roeder goes, and how can we attract ambitious players.  so unfortunately, if delia hasn''t the dosh, or doesn''t want to spend it, then she''s not the right majority shareholder for NCFC - if you love the club more than she.  i''m not happy with the state of english footballs fantasy economics but the reality is we''re light years away from where we want to be and not looking like getting closer to it anytime sooner.  (although many city fans don''t want to be in the nasty ole prem, and be beaten every week)with a chronically weak and small squad, that worthy, grant and roeder all picked up on, its clear the football squad has been underfunded for yonks.  there''s nothing dishonest about the board, they''ve done their best, but its not happening.the truth is, we''ve flirted with our champs status through underinvestment - and if we go down, then its deserved.  bringing young loanees into a thin squad in jan looked naff at the time - its looking negligent now.  of course, no one wants city to go down - that much is painfully obvious - and from posters repsonses its clear that this course of action would be disasterous in the short term.  and maybe the longer term.  but clubs do survive and move on.  relegation needed be the end, it could be the beginning........

[/quote]

I agree with alot of what you say, but you have to ask why we are in the downward spiral in the first place?  Our current squad cost about the same as that which got us to the play-offs and later promotion, despite the massively higher income in the last three years from Sky/player sales/sell-outs etc.  Some of us have been warning for years that this chronic under-investment in the team would come a cropper and you could argue that the people who "deserve" relegation are those who have condoned it.

As for your asset-stripper, if you can point out one club where this has successfully taken place then you might have a point.  If you can`t then i suggest you are just scare-mongering because you can`t face the change that is required to change the direction of the club.

When we were relegated from the Premiership a good mate of mine said "oh well at least we''ll see us win a few games now" thinking that is was going to be much easier at a lower level. The truth was far from that with our best players leaving, Worthy buying in crap and the board cutting back funds. Far from winning more often we have ended up in a situation where we could go doen again.

Why on earth would anyone think it will be any better in League 1? It patronising in the extreme to think we''ll just pop down there for a season while we re-group. Division 3''s history is littered with so called big clubs spending years in the muck trying to get out. Teams like Wolves and Bradford even end up going down again FFS. 

If and when we do come up again do you think it will be easier in the Championship as a promoted club rather than a relegated one with two years of parachute payments to back us up? It wont, it will be harder.

If we go down we can look forward to years of struggle - we need to do everything we can to avoid it. 

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

I agree with alot of what you say, but you have to ask why we are in the downward spiral in the first place?  Our current squad cost about the same as that which got us to the play-offs and later promotion, despite the massively higher income in the last three years from Sky/player sales/sell-outs etc.  Some of us have been warning for years that this chronic under-investment in the team would come a cropper and you could argue that the people who "deserve" relegation are those who have condoned it.

As for your asset-stripper, if you can point out one club where this has successfully taken place then you might have a point.  If you can`t then i suggest you are just scare-mongering because you can`t face the change that is required to change the direction of the club.

[/quote]

I totally agree with Tumbleweeds post Mr Carrow. And argueing that people deserve relegation, and I assume you mean the board, is a step too far for me. And while it doesn''t surprise me that you used this thread to play your broken record, and while you know that I agree with parts of that record, you neglect to say whether in your opinion being relegated would be a bad thing.

In my opinion, being relegated would be the worst thing I have ever seen happen to my club in the 40+ years I have supported them.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Relegation could be a disaster of biblical proportions for City. Adminstration for starters, as we have no one to sell and nigh on 20.000 adjustment refunds on season tickets to give back to fans.

Hell, even Mr Doncaster might have to resign.

Err?....................hang on................

[/quote]

On the football side of things the Board may see relegation as a means to balancing the books, Wiz, and I really don''t think enough fans would be yearning to have their season tickets refunded;  ''least not enough to make much of a financial difference - I doubt even away attendances would be affected that much.

It isn''t about genuine football supporters anymore, Wiz, it''s about family days out at the Riverside.

I seriously don''t think many of the growing numbers of wives & kids attending Carrow Road these days care two hoots where the football club is at so long as they get their full quota of ten-pin bowling, cinema & eating out.

Mistakes have been made, but name one football club that hasn''t. Simply put my points relevant to this debate are:

1. Investment does not guarantee success. Abramovich''s millions only bought two league titles when harnessed with an inspirational manager and even then failed in the Champs League. middlesbro have spent as much as anyone else outside the top 4 yet languish with diminishing crowds and also fear of relegation. Look at Newcastle the archetypal underachievers and waht ultimately what happened to Leeds. Investment is so much more than just money, its about decison-making and interpersonal skills, development of youth, training attitudes, customer satisfaction (thats us you know) and facilities, marketing, pricing policies, community penetration, financial management, and so on. Get all these right and you might get somewhere. Finally, EVEN if you DO have the financial investment, there are others with just as much or more so how then will you make sure you spend your money better than the next guy?

2. Relegation would be an unmitigated disaster. GR may well leave, tickets would be way down the season after next, players would leave, others would not want to come. Unless we escaped immediately we would be another Forest or an Oldham or Bradford. Anybody wishing for that is bonkers (or a scum fan, or both).

[quote user="shyster"]

I seriously don''t think many of the growing numbers of wives & kids attending Carrow Road these days care two hoots where the football club is at so long as they get their full quota of ten-pin bowling, cinema & eating out.

[/quote]

Well thats tragic then mate.

When I first started following City, oh so many years ago now, they were a third division side, I have no great desire to do a Michael Palin and go ''Full Circle'' now.

Frankly, it would break my bloody heart![:''(]

Mistakes have been made, but name one football club that hasn''t. Simply put my points relevant to this debate are:

1. Investment does not guarantee success. Abramovich''s millions only bought two league titles when harnessed with an inspirational manager and even then failed in the Champs League. middlesbro have spent as much as anyone else outside the top 4 yet languish with diminishing crowds and also fear of relegation. Look at Newcastle the archetypal underachievers and waht ultimately what happened to Leeds. Investment is so much more than just money, its about decison-making and interpersonal skills, development of youth, training attitudes, customer satisfaction (thats us you know) and facilities, marketing, pricing policies, community penetration, financial management, and so on. Get all these right and you might get somewhere. Finally, EVEN if you DO have the financial investment, there are others with just as much or more so how then will you make sure you spend your money better than the next guy?

2. Relegation would be an unmitigated disaster. GR may well leave, tickets would be way down the season after next, players would leave, others would not want to come. Unless we escaped immediately we would be another Forest or an Oldham or Bradford. Anybody wishing for that is bonkers (or a scum fan, or both).

[/quote]fair comment tumbleweed.  re point one - its clear that money alone is neve enough, but its also obvious that consistently the most successful teams are those who also spend the most.  thats an inescapable fact.  you cite the failures of newcastle - and they certainly spend enough to suggest they harbour top 4 ambitions, and even though they may might make it, they and their supporters at least know they are trying.   the only side who have been promoted outa this league with virtually no spending in recent years, to my knowledge, was watford.  indeed, in the summer, donny cited their example as encouragement - when revealing the size of our black hole - as in, see - no money can gain you promotion.  equally, if it goes wrong - you''ve more chance of being relegated, than a side with underperforming quality players in - cos at some point they will gel and gain wins.  if average players underperform, you''re down - sure as eggs are eggs.  as for city - its not obvious we''ve not spent enough to create a genuine prem promotion intent.  so therefore, our real intention is to survive in this league first, and if all the magic ingredients came together - a top 6 finish.  that seems to be the reality now and for next season.  re point 2 - relegation would cause a huge upheaval at the club and would in the short term be a disaster for city - only a fool would wish for it - make no mistake.  but equally, it needn''t be bad in the long term -  there are examples in everyday life of success following failure.   and thats the truth - however unpalatable. 

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="shyster"]

[/quote]

Well thats tragic then mate.

When I first started following City, oh so many years ago now, they were a third division side, I have no great desire to do a Michael Palin and go ''Full Circle'' now.

Frankly, it would break my bloody heart![:''(]

[/quote]

As recent reports from the media have suggested, Wiz, many genuine football fans are preferring to support their local & amateur sides because of the present state of the game - they, like you & I, hanker for those long lost days before football became prima donna players on huge salaries hence an overly expensive pastime for the mollycoddled in nanny state Britain.

Sad times indeed.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

The thing is i think we all know deep down that the boards reaction to relegation would be paranoia about the lost tv./ away supporter/ casual ticket revenue, so the first thing which would happen would be swinging cuts to the budget for squad strengthening in the summer- which would almost certainly result in Roeder, Fozzy, Doc, Croft and probably a few others leaving.  So we would start the season on a massive negative straight away much as we did when we came down from the Prem.  Our board budget for failure and in so-doing they blatantly court it.

Then of course we have the more practical stuff.  We will be seen as a big scalp by most of the clubs in that league and as we are more a "nice footballing club" than a "gritty, tough it out club" we are likely to be a soft touch.  I don`t believe City supporters will tolerate a switch to physical, direct football even if it improves our chances of promotion.  Sorry, but i think if we went down we would have ultra-prudence and paranoid extreme caution to thank for many years in the lower leagues.

[/quote]

I think you must have missed this post Nutty.

I agree with you there LGT, the Board have erred on the side of parsimony as far as funding for players is concerned, although we don''t really know what budgets have been made available. My fear is that you can solve one problem but just create another elsewhere which then leaves you in the same position but with more debt. Remembering how bad I felt in ''95 when we lost at Leeds, it''d be 10 times worse if it is to the old third division.

[/quote]

It`s not about a few mistakes, it is about the overall policy.  This is the third season now that the club have tried to maintain a Championship side on the cheap whilst tv., transfer and ticket revenue has been pouring in at unprecedented levels.

And the "Investment does not guarantee success" line is about as stupid and pointless as the "if we show a bit of ambition on the pitch, we`ll do a Leeds" one.  Virtually NOTHING is guaranteed in football (or life for that matter) but that is an absolutely pathetic excuse for not even trying.  Virtually all the clubs challenging for promotion/play-offs have spent more than us and the lowest spenders are almost all near the bottom.

Can anyone tell me honestly that they are absolutely convinced that the board have strained every available sinew to get our club promoted again in the last three seasons?  If not can i suggest a good think as to where the root of the problem is?