Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

How old were you when you fist started following football? And why the club?

Born & bred in Norfolk with a season ticket holding Dad...First game I went to, I was about 6, sat on the wooden benches in the Main Stand - loved it when all the old codgers banged their feet on the floor and lobbed their cushions at the ref...Early memories of Ron Saunders bringing Villa back to Carra Rud shortly after he left...and the outraged City fans...great early memories of Paddon, McGuire, Dunc etc...My little lad - 5, is already brainwashed, despite living in the heart of glory hunter land where you''re either a red or a blue...Always wants to know whether Norwich won - has his own scarf, yet to take the plunge with the kit though as he''s not yet really discovered the joys of a kick-about yet...!

Make the most of these days mate, you make me envious.

How time flies, it seems like only yesterday that I was taking my young son to football and enjoying every moment of it. Now at 15 he''s bigger than me and he looks after me instead of the other way round.

Enjoy.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Do you mean like Bly being a closet Red?[/quote]

Oh no ,no, no Rudy you''ve got it wrong, I''m a closet binner.

Ask nutty et al.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Ask nutty et al.

OTBC

[/quote]

Oh no ,no, no Bly you''ve got it wrong and a message to you Rudy - stop yer messin'' around - Bly is a closet Canary [:O] He keeps it well hidden but I have seen it from deep within [H]

Well where to start?!!Neither of my parents are great football or sports fans - my Dads sport of choice is fishing and my mum used to hide her plimsoles to get out of PE . . . . . However when I was younger a friend of the family used to take me along to games with her family. I have to admit that until I was about 9 or 10 it could be argued that I was more interested in playing the game than watching or following it in a great way although my Dad did occaisionaly have it on the TV - when it didn''t clash with the A-Team etc!But then we hit the magical European run - the whole atmosphere in my area changed. Neither of my parents are from Norwich although I was born and have lived here all but 5 or so years of my life. Even my parents suddenly became interested and hence following Norwich more closely grabbed my attention. I remember watching the European nights on TV and even the Inter game being put on at school (Avenues, Jas?) by Mr. Wright - a massive Norwich fan.At about the same time whilst visiting my grandmother my uncle tried to "poach" me as he is a big Arsenal fan, he said he would take me to an Arsenal game but for some reason that I can not remember I turned him down and my Dad went instead.Before that I had played - I knew a lot of the players because I used to do summer footie courses and a couple of these were held at the trouse training ground where the players used to train and so quite often a lot of them would be about.As for why - I had been in Norwich all my life at that point, why would I choose a team that was miles and miles away. And at that point in our nations history it was "cool" to support "your local team" rather than one that you are more likely to see on TV midweek in Europe.I have had a season ticket for a season or two back in the late 90s watching Riochs and Hamiltons teams and since then I have tried to get to as many games as possible although being a mixture of a skint student and trying to pay my way in London pretty much limited me. These days whilst I could afford a season ticket my work prevents me from being able to commit to one. I would miss quite a few games. But I get to the games that I can and when I play footy either in training or on a Sunday - I try to have an NCFC item on me even if it is just a sweat band.My age if it is of any great use is 26 (just turned in fact!).

This debate always pops up from time to time. I''m a glory hunter, the day we beat aresenal on the opening day of the prem, i said to my brother that i support norwich now( I was 8 at the time) and i''ve stuck with them! I''ve started to go and watch my local team, wrexham, and i think it''s great!! Plus I get to see the super skills of Chris Llewellyn!

First game was in 1972, can''t remember who against but we got promoted to div 1 for the first time that year, since then I''ve only missed 2 competetive home games, Spurs on boxing day about 13 years ago due to illness when we lost 2-0 and Southampton the last game of last season when we lost 1-0 again due to illness. I am a firm believer that you should support the team where you are born and bred, my eldest son asked me to buy him a manure shirt when he was about 7 and I refused, much to the dismay of my wife, I stood my ground and bought him a Norwich one, he now hates manure just as much as I do, job done.

Aged 8 in 1950 I went with a school pal to watch Colchester (Southern League I think it was) cos his Dad played for them, full back I think.  I know they lost so nothing much changes over the years.  In this respect Colchester is one of the most consistent clubs in the Football League.  I think I was probably attracted by the romance of the corrugated iron roof flapping in the gale.

Through another school friend whose Dad was either a director of Wolves or had some strong business connection with them he got us tickets to see England annihilate those strange people from Hungary who couldn''t possibly know anything about football.  The fact that it didn''t quite turn out like that did not, even at a young age, stop me appreciating the skills of Kocsis and Puskas.  I saw them both again a year later in one of the most exciting games I have ever seen - under new fangled floodlights Wolves beat Honved 3-2 after being 2-0 down very early on.  The pitch was a complete mudbath and had to be re marked at half time.

I decided this was a game worth watching and had taken it up myself by then.  I remember that Wolves and Honved were better than Colchester - I believe this is true of Wolves today but cannot say about Honved.

It was, however, a completely different game from today.  Personally, I prefer the original version although there are still many wonderful skills to behold.  The only people who dived in those days were goalkeepers and they were all on £25 a week with another £10 or £15 under the counter. 

My Mum was born in Sheringham (Station Road) but we moved and I decided to glory hunt with Colchester.  I am of course still glory hunting and ever optimistic.  I am hoping to buy a chunk of the corrugated iron roofing from Layer Road.

A great deal of football today reminds me of chess.  A look at 1950 league tables might interest some of you younger chaps to see how many goals were scored and how many were conceded even by those at the top of the table (s).  Different game.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Ask nutty et al.

OTBC

[/quote]

Oh no ,no, no Bly you''ve got it wrong and a message to you Rudy - stop yer messin'' around - Bly is a closet Canary [:O] He keeps it well hidden but I have seen it from deep within [H]

[/quote]

Tut, tut nigel.

You''re just jealous because you never saw Errol Crossan and Bobby Brennan play at Carrow Road.

Nor experienced the magic of Archie Macaulay.

[:P] [:''(]

OTBC

Could get a bit of stick for this, but here goes - I was born in Colchester, and my second ever game my Dad took me to was at Layer Rd for the 3 -2 win over Leeds Utd when I was 11! Prior to then we spent five years in Perth, where my team was East Perth (Aussie Rules!)

However a couple of years later we moved up to Lowestoft for my Dad''s job. The deal was supposed to be that Dad would keep taking me to watch Col U, however he ended up working with a certain Mr Butcher, who just happened to be Terry Butcher''s Dad.

You can guess what happens next, Dad gets seduced by the dark side of the force and starts supporting the scummers, me as a rebellious teenager decided to go in completely the opposite direction and by 1975 was a confirmed Norwich City Fan and been so ever since.

My Dad''s been passed away a long time now, but my Mum''s a Col U fan so will be likely to get a bit of stick either way after Saturday...

Born in Northern Ireland. No interest in football whatsoever when I was growing up, I think mainly because I was crap! Moved to Norwich in 1998, started to take a vague interest, and it went from there. I have now moved away from Norwich again (bloody jobs!) but go to as many games as I can, and bleed yellow blood. Take a lot of stick from mates who support Premiership clubs, but that is life. At least I can say I lived in Norwich, most of them have no connection with their club of choice, other than they liked the colour of the kit or something! OTBC!!!