Sign in to follow this  
Arthur Whittle

How old were you when you fist started following football? And why the club?

How old were you when you first started following football and how old are you now? Why do you follow your club?

I just ask as a fat bald idiot who shall remain nameless, who drinks in the old local follows ARSENAL! Now what winds me up about this is 3 things

1-He only started following football 7 years ago at the age of 30

2-He only supports Arsenal because he says-in his own words "they were the best team at the time".

3- He slates me for not going to home games anymore and claims to be more of a supporter than me because he watches all of Arsenals games live at The Pea stores bar.

Baffled? I am.

Now for me you are born in Norfolk you follow Norwich! If you are born in Norfolk and follow say Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd etc, then to me that is no different to being born in England but supporting Brazil!

Glory hunters should be hounded out of Norfolk! They only follow there team via sky and ceefax, have no links to the club, and have no appreciation of why or what it means to be a fan.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

How old were you when you first started following football and how old are you now? Why do you follow your club?

I just ask as a fat bald idiot who shall remain nameless, who drinks in the old local follows ARSENAL! Now what winds me up about this is 3 things

2-He only supports Arsenal because he says-in his own words "they were the best team at the time".

3- He slates me for not going to home games anymore and claims to be more of a supporter than me because he watches all of Arsenals games live at The Pea stores bar.

Baffled? I am.

Now for me you are born in Norfolk you follow Norwich! If you are born in Norfolk and follow say Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd etc, then to me that is no different to being born in England but supporting Brazil!

Glory hunters should be hounded out of Norfolk! They only follow there team via sky and ceefax, have no links to the club, and have no appreciation of why or what it means to be a fan.

[/quote]i actually agree with you for once. there are many people i know who support premiership teams solely for that reason, one of my friends was born in london and raised in norfolk yet supports manchester united. work that one out! it is rubbish, and these people in my eyes are not supporters, they are followers. they follow their team through the media, like you suggest, they don''t support anything either financially or vocally.as my die-hard manchester city fan mate says to united supporters, ''we are the pride of manchester, you are the pride of singapore''

In 1972, my family moved from Regina, Sask. Canada to Norwich for 1 year while my dad was working during his sabbatical.  I went to Avenue Road Middle School for 1st Year, so I was 8, and we lived at my grandparent''s house on Earlham Road.  I was indoctrinated into the NCFC family, and have been a scarf wearing, team supporting fan ever since, even though I have only actually been in Norwich for a few weeks here and there ever since.

I brought my sons over last Christmas to visit, and we took in a couple of games. They have all sorts of NCFC regalia in their rooms, and wear their scarves when it is cold enough, which is not very often in Houston.

[quote user="kirku"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Baffled? I am.

[/quote]

i actually agree with you for once. there are many people i know who support premiership teams solely for that reason, one of my friends was born in london and raised in norfolk yet supports manchester united. work that one out! it is rubbish, and these people in my eyes are not supporters, they are followers. they follow their team through the media, like you suggest, they don''t support anything either financially or vocally.

as my die-hard manchester city fan mate says to united supporters, ''we are the pride of manchester, you are the pride of singapore''
[/quote]

Nice to see you agree. I think its something that all true supporters would agree on to be honest, but what really got my goat is an Arsenal fan saying he is more of a supporter because he watches them every week on the telly?

Yep. Glory hunting supporters are pure t*ssers who need to grow themselves a set of Balls! - I actually think they''re worse than those who support the scum! I just love all the excuse and reasoning they come up with...

My dad supports them (So he''s a kn*b too is he)

They play great football (I might think that you''re girlfriend is hot but I wouldn''t sh*g her out of principle)

etc etc

I started supporting Norwich when I was about 8 or 9 (late start as none of my family are into football) even though I live in Suffolk (although closer to Norwich than Ipsh*t) - simple reason being I was born in Norwich and considered it ''my city'' as we''d always head there for days out etc etc because as we''re all aware Ipsh*t is a dump.

Dave Stringer''s last season in charge was my first following city  

Baffled? I am.

[/quote]

funny how the person u mention has made little or now effort to go to Highbury or the emriates isnt it? people like that have the ready made response "I cant get tickets!" yes you can.. supporters clubs.. they get a small number of tickets for every game... join up.. get a ticket.. off you go.. but then glory hunters wont do thats as they get found out for the 2 bob fans they are!

back on topic.. i have been attending matches since the age of 10 in 1991...

Had a season ticket every season since 1992/93 and have missed just 7 home games over that period. I can even remember which ones they were! Sheff wed (h) 92/93, Ipswich (h) 93/94, Swindon (h)93/94, Sheff u (H) 96/97, Southampton (H) 04/05, man city (h) 04/05 and Wolves (h) 05/06.

jas :) 

Baffled? I am.

[/quote]

I think I know who you are referring to when you say the "fat, bald idiot", Arthur, he''s one of Roy the landlord''s inner circle of special Arsenal chums, isn''t he? Like you, I despise these Naarfulk born and bred Arsenil/Manure/Chelski/Liverpool fans. How infantile is it for anybody over the age of  30 to pretend to follow one of these big clubs? On a number of occasions I have overheard one Norfolk person say to another: "Oh, "YOUR LOT" (meaning one of the big four) lost today - WE (meaning another big four team) did alright though at Bolton" (or wherever). This type of conversation immediately gives me the urge to either slap one or both of them, or chunder all over them. How bloody pathetic can people be! I was in the Reindeer (Man U supporting landlord and a number of the customers) one night and Man U were on the telly. I had to smile to myself when I overheard a couple of non-local chaps laughing at what they clearly thought was a Norwich/Norfolk propensity to be fond of the big clubs, as there were so many people wearing Man U shirts in the Reindeer that night. "Don''t they support their local team?" I heard one say. I agree, Arthur - hound these glory-hunting idiots out of the county!

Another couple of classics from people i have worked with.

1-Im not a glory hunter, i started supporting Man utd when they beat Benfica in the Europeon cup final 4-1?

2- { late 80s }How can you call me a glory me a glory hunter when man utd have only won the fa cup a couple of times recently.

3-im a proper fan ive been to anfield once.

All told to me in a broad Norfolk accent strangely?

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]By the way i followed Norwich since a nipper-why? Because i wass bloody born here![/quote] I''m getting worried arthur cos I''m finding myself agreeing with you more and more.

My son in law (a lovely lad) Norfolk born and bred, unfortunately is a Liverpool ''supporter''. For the love of me I just don''t understand. He has no interest in Norwich City at all yet never misses a game when ''Pool are on the television. My daughter is Norwich City through and through so you can imagine the flack he gets from us but still he sticks to his guns.

I guess it''s a TV thing. If kids families aren''t into football then the only games they get to see are on TV and that''s where allegiances are formed.

My dad took me to my first game when I was seven (1952) and the seed was sown . Probably the same with you arthur.

And without wanting to turn this thread into a board debate I have to say that their policy towards attracting kids to matches is the right one to ensure that those youngsters do as we did and support City for the rest of their lives.

Why does it always have to be a competition?

If he enjoys it, he enjoys it - well done to him to actually challenge the status quo and get into football later, admit to this and still find it enjoyable. He seemly enjoys it more than some aging, perpetually whinging fans, so bully to him!

[quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Baffled? I am.

[/quote]

I think I know who you are referring to when you say the "fat, bald idiot", Arthur, he''s one of Roy the landlord''s inner circle of special Arsenal chums, isn''t he? Like you, I despise these Naarfulk born and bred Arsenil/Manure/Chelski/Liverpool fans. How infantile is it for anybody over the age of  30 to pretend to follow one of these big clubs? On a number of occasions I have overheard one Norfolk person say to another: "Oh, "YOUR LOT" (meaning one of the big four) lost today - WE (meaning another big four team) did alright though at Bolton" (or wherever). This type of conversation immediately gives me the urge to either slap one or both of them, or chunder all over them. How bloody pathetic can people be! I was in the Reindeer (Man U supporting landlord and a number of the customers) one night and Man U were on the telly. I had to smile to myself when I overheard a couple of non-local chaps laughing at what they clearly thought was a Norwich/Norfolk propensity to be fond of the big clubs, as there were so many people wearing Man U shirts in the Reindeer that night. "Don''t they support their local team?" I heard one say. I agree, Arthur - hound these glory-hunting idiots out of the county!

[/quote]

Without naming names, yes you are on the right track. On sunday 2 people came in to watch the Arsenal v wigan game while i was in there and asked where Roys little Arsenal cliche were? Down the murderers said the barman so off they plodded. There is a new addition to the circle but one im not suprised at as he used to follow Ipswich but this season has become a Arse fan, it makes my blood boil!

[quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"][quote user="Arthur Whittle"]

Baffled? I am.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Im actually good friends with "the fat bald idiot" father and have known tubby since he was a nipper, he resembles a fat uncooked cumberland sausage. The Coachmakers Arsenal gang are all actually ok, they just wind me up by putting down Norwich and this "us", "your lot" etc attitude, whilst all talking in broad Norfolk accents.

I have been a Norwich fan since I can remember.  I was born here but that is not why, it is all becuase of my Dad.  My dad took me to my first home game when I was about 6 years old, I was hooked from then.  If he had taken me to see Ipswich, or Tottenham would I have supported them instead, don''t know.

I have no problem with people outside the area following different teams.  I knew a couple of lads once who used to go and watch Leyton Orient a minimum of once a month, more often if they could.  Another mate who used to go to most of Millwalls games.  A friend of mine is a Middlesborough fan, his little boy wants to support the same team as his Daddy, and quite rightly so.  Now my little boy, wants to follow the same team as all his friends at school, bloody Liverpool.  But don''t worry, if I have to I will thrash it out of him, to within an inch if I have to Wink [;)].

Basically what I am saying is I think it is your family who determine who you support, not necessarily your birth place.  Do hate glory hunters though, wish I could be one though.  It would be nice to support a team who won something for a change...

I became a norwich fan as a young lass after having many a discussion with my grandad while on holiday in Norwich. i dont get to many games at all but dont feel I am any less of a fan than the next man/woman. my kids and nephews/nieces are being brought up to be Norwich fans as well. So I dont support my local team but cant exactly say I''m a glory supporter can I? Not unless there is an illustrious history recently that i have missed

[quote user="ob1"]

If he enjoys it, he enjoys it - well done to him to actually challenge the status quo and get into football later, admit to this and still find it enjoyable. He seemly enjoys it more than some aging, perpetually whinging fans, so bully to him!

[/quote]

Seems you are in the minority. Most people seem to agree with me { for once } that glory hunters have no real understanding of what it means to be a "fan". You dont pick your team beacuse they are the best.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"]By the way i followed Norwich since a nipper-why? Because i wass bloody born here![/quote] I''m getting worried arthur cos I''m finding myself agreeing with you more and more.

My son in law (a lovely lad) Norfolk born and bred, unfortunately is a Liverpool ''supporter''. For the love of me I just don''t understand. He has no interest in Norwich City at all yet never misses a game when ''Pool are on the television. My daughter is Norwich City through and through so you can imagine the flack he gets from us but still he sticks to his guns.

I guess it''s a TV thing. If kids families aren''t into football then the only games they get to see are on TV and that''s where allegiances are formed.

My dad took me to my first game when I was seven (1952) and the seed was sown . Probably the same with you arthur.

And without wanting to turn this thread into a board debate I have to say that their policy towards attracting kids to matches is the right one to ensure that those youngsters do as we did and support City for the rest of their lives.

[/quote]

Dont worry too much Lappin mate, im sure we will disagree very soon again no doubt . LOL

sprowston lads when i was four years old .. local and because alot of my friends played there .. however, looking back alot of my mates started at different clubs and you just wonder where have the rest of the players gone ?

My dad, despite being from Sunderland and a Sunderland fan at the time, thought it would be good for me to support my local team and so took me to a few games in 1986 (I was 6). The first one was Luton Town (0-0). I was hooked. We went together for years.

My dad says that I turned to him during that first game and said ''dad, these men are swearing''. My dad said ''yes, well, it''s football and there are lots of grown ups here and sometimes grown ups swear''. I replied ''oh i know that, but they are swearing at our team!''. Little did I know! (for the record it was Robert Rosario they were swearing at).

Arto you lovely old boy , I was 5 in 1955 , my first game at Carrow Rd , It was even before I went to school . arrdee.

I think it''s worse in schools. Thank god im in my last year.Apart from me and a select few, the rest follow either Chelski, Manure or Liverpool.What really gets to me, is how they compare their team to Norwich all the time, trying to insult me. Sorry but there''s a difference between supporting your local club despite how well they do, and supporting a team in the top 4 of the Premiership.And yes, the excuses are always there. "Because Norwich are s***" or even "Im going to move their when im older" Or the old chestnut "My uncle/father/distant relative told me they were good when i was young. Even such things as "They''re the first team i saw on Television"It''s dissapointing, because if everyone in Norfolk supported Norwich it could really benefit us. However the laughs on them, how often do they get to see ''their'' team play live? Once..Twice...Not at all a year?

i myself have always and will always be a norwich supporter, with my first game being the last game in the premiership back in 1995, but i think these days there is alot more norwich fans wearing the shirt at a younger age and theyre will always be fans that claim to be arsenal fans or man utd fans, but theyre fans not supporters..but at the same time you can every know and then get a proper ''big 4'' fan,

a bloke a year older then me used to and still does go (despite being born and bred in norfolk) to anfield, he has a season-ticket there, and never fails going home(anfield) or away, ''away'' often being closer then the home matches! and this includes, carling cup, fa cup, the premier league and even europe, including some dodgy places such as turkey

Glory hunters should be hounded out of Norfolk!

[/quote]

Not the only people you''d like hounded out of Norfolk eh, Arthur?

Seems you are in the minority. Most people seem to agree with me { for once } that glory hunters have no real understanding of what it means to be a "fan". You dont pick your team beacuse they are the best.

[/quote]

Agreed. I actually feel sorry for these people because they don''t really feel it in the same way when "their team" wins or loses (or draws, come to that). I can''t see how anyone can have a real attachment to a team they decided to support just because they''re good.

I''ve supported Norwich since I was around 9 years old, I had no influence from my Dad as I was born in Suffolk and 30 minutes from Ipswich. But with Yellow and Green in my veins I wanted to support a local team, rather than be a glory hunter so I supported Norwich over Ipswich. As with my canary instinct I hated Ipswich.

[quote user="hogesar"]I think it''s worse in schools. Thank god im in my last year.

Apart from me and a select few, the rest follow either Chelski, Manure or Liverpool.

What really gets to me, is how they compare their team to Norwich all the time, trying to insult me. Sorry but there''s a difference between supporting your local club despite how well they do, and supporting a team in the top 4 of the Premiership.

And yes, the excuses are always there. "Because Norwich are s***" or even "Im going to move their when im older" Or the old chestnut "My uncle/father/distant relative told me they were good when i was young. Even such things as "They''re the first team i saw on Television"

It''s dissapointing, because if everyone in Norfolk supported Norwich it could really benefit us. However the laughs on them, how often do they get to see ''their'' team play live? Once..Twice...Not at all a year?
[/quote]

waheyy select few[:D][;)]

hmmm i have to say that i completely agree they all have a go at us for being naff fans because aparantly according to them we support a "naff" team when actually its them who are the naff fans as they hardly ever even get to even go and see their team.

i garuntee that if we ever became a regular top team or the four big teams sumhow started doing really bad and got relegated they would all turn to Norwich....

[quote user="Arthur Whittle"][quote user="ob1"]

[/quote]

Seems you are in the minority. [/quote]

Because no-body answered my question because they were too busy trying to prove themselves they are the greatest fan ever...

[quote]

Most people seem to agree with me { for once } that glory hunters have no real understanding of what it means to be a "fan". You dont pick your team beacuse they are the best.

[/quote]Never mentioned that once in my post did I? About his choice of team? I was just saying that someone has the right to get into a sport/hobby or interest at any times in their life and shouldn''t be derided for enjoying something.So this guy choose Arsenal, so what? I once met a kid who choose Norwich City, not because he was born there or had ever been there (except for games) but because he liked the colour when he was young! He has less reason than any of us to support City - but he was a fan "all his life (tm)" - do does that make him even more of fan than any of us? Most hobbies/sports and pasttimes encourage all people to get involved - but not football - oh, no! Unless you''ve been a fan for life, then your aren''t a "real" fan - and man, you just don''t understand... well - here is a clue - SO WHAT? He isn''t here to "understand what it''s like to be a real fan" (vomit) he is here to enjoy himself! And that he is bei

Damn! The computer said "I''m going to die" so I banged "post" quickly... I think I was saying...

He is just enjoying an new sport (or something). Any other sport, those fans would encourage participation of new people. If you tried out a marshall art - I recently tried Kendo, not one person banged on to me about how I did understand what it was like to be *real* kendo-ka... and then have them turn their nose up at me, because, they''d be Kendo-ka for years blah blah blah.

I''ve been a geek for years - I certain didn''t give my nan stick or abuse or "real geek" talk when she decided she wanted to learn (at age 70) - I was so bowled over - I put a lot of encouragement and effort into nurture (sp?) her interest.

So - yeah - you are a miserable old Norwich fan whos been a Norwich fan for years and hates watching them and hates everything about the club - spending every spare moment whinging about them and enjoying seeing them loose. So he has only got in football recently and chose Arsenal because they were popular and good, and amazingly, really enjoys watching them and football in general and doesn''t feel the need to prove squat. You are the winner here, obviously mate.

From what i cam remeber i had a city shirt before i ever went to a game! My 1st game was boxing day 1978 when we played the binners in the famous 3-3 draw, my dad is a coach driver and he used to take a supporters club from our hometown of thetford to all away games, which i was always allowed a seat on the engine cover of the coach(a little uncomfortable but well worth it!)

Since then i''ve worked all over the uk, but still follwed city, then i settled in Kings Lynn and have been a season ticket holder since 96, upper barcley,but may have to move to jarrold soon or get better glasses as my eyesight is failing!