Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

The Next Two Games Are Critical

Of course, I''m just another poster saying the two games coming up next are critical. The difference now, of course, is that it''s absolutely correct. Let''s forget about Colchester and Scunthorpe overtaking us in the standings. That''s not going to happen. Let''s also forget about the four teams that currently separate us from the bottom three. If those four teams fail to overhaul us that will just be gravy to us, and we cannot afford to be complacent and count on the gravy.  

No, all that is critical is what is in front of Norwich and Leicester in each of the next two matches both clubs need to face. We are 4 points clear of Leicester - not 5 as the standings show. Given our strike rate there is no indication of likelihood that we will overturn the superior goal differential they enjoy so, to ensure we finish above Leicester, we have to also ensure we finish at least one point better than they do. Equal points won''t get the job done. We would end up below them in that event. On the next two Saturdays we face Sheffield United away and Colchester at home. Leicester face WBA away and Hull at home. Most oddsmakers would say that Leicester has the tougher task. After that, the odds move significantly in the favour of Leicester for the remainder of the season. This is why the next two matches for both clubs are critical.

Glenn Roeder has to muster the best preparation on all fronts, including team selection, to give us the best chance of trying to gain at least a further 3 point advantage against Leicester. If we move 8 points ahead of them with 6 games remaining. This would place all the pressure on them. If we fail to achieve it then I believe considerable pressure moves in our direction and, given what''s occurring at the moment, I''m not sure we would perform better under pressure. 

When Liverpool scored aginst Inter-Milan yesterday all the pressure fell away and it showed. We need such an event over the next two matches.

Brushing aside my lack of modesty, I like the point I made on this post although nobody else seems to. The reason I like it is because it reduces, NOT eliminates, the fear of relegation to its simplest form; the next two matches, focusing on only one other relegation candidate ( Leicester....because if we finish a point above them at the end of the season we are safe ), and by removing pressure we are more likely to play with confidence.

After making this point I read the article by Richard Balls, who categorically states that we only need to win two more games and we are safe this season. I checked, and would suggest that Richard is a trifle premature in making that statement. It would have been accurate of him to opine that, but to state it categorically is not accurate. If you review the fixture lists for Leicester and the three teams between them and Norwich, you would see that each of the teams, including Leicester, have ample opportunity to win enough points to see us relegated with 52 points. This is true even after taking into account the very few games that these four teams play against each other. So, taking the standing of the worst of the four teams at the moment, Leicester have 41 points with 8 games to play. Given my assertion ( that they would only have to tie us ) they would require 11 points from 8 games. Not easy I grant you for teams at the wrong end of the table, but highly possible.

http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/sport/RichardBalls/default.aspx

Did anyone else just hear Neil Adams opening comments on Radio Norfolk? He thinks 5 or 6 points are required to be certain we retain our place in the Championship. He and Richard Balls must be sipping the same kind of beer. If we lose today and Leicester pulls off an upset I will be very interested to see how Neil adjusts his comments in the post game comments.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Of course, I''m just another poster saying the two games coming up next are critical. [/quote]

I''ll stop you talking to yourself.

Frankly, it''s not the next game, or two games, or three games.  Given the oddities of the Championship, every remaining game is critical.  We could go to Sheffield Wednesday on the last day of the season needing a point to stay up, as could they... wouldn''t fancy that much.

Thanks Mr. Chops but I don''t mind talking to myself. I make a lot of sense to me. Sometimes I even get a chuckle at what I''ve just written.

With respect to the point I have made ( that is playing the rest of the season under pressure or not ), then the next two games are critical. If we are able to stretch the gap between us and Leicester to 8 points then there is a tremendous pressure shift to them versus us. Simple point really.

Thanks Mr. Chops but I don''t mind talking to myself. I make a lot of sense to me. Sometimes I even get a chuckle at what I''ve just written.

With respect to the point I have made ( that is playing the rest of the season under pressure or not ), then the next two games are critical. If we are able to stretch the gap between us and Leicester to 8 points then there is a tremendous pressure shift to them versus us. Simple point really.

[/quote]

And if we don''t, the next two games are critical... and then the next two... equally simple counter-point.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]i''d love a point today and 3 next saturday to settle everyones nerves!!!
[/quote]

Do you see Mr. Chops, Lucky got the point without any difficulty at all.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]i''d love a point today and 3 next saturday to settle everyones nerves!!![/quote]

[/quote]Do you practice being condescending, or is it a natural gift?

[quote user="James Maloney"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]i''d love a point today and 3 next saturday to settle everyones nerves!!!
[/quote]

[/quote]

Do you practice being condescending, or is it a natural gift?
[/quote]

I''m simply a conduit James. All the activity takes place in the mind of the receiver. Have you had yours checked lately?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Did anyone else just hear Neil Adams opening comments on Radio Norfolk? He thinks 5 or 6 points are required to be certain we retain our place in the Championship. He and Richard Balls must be sipping the same kind of beer. If we lose today and Leicester pulls off an upset I will be very interested to see how Neil adjusts his comments in the post game comments.[/quote]

If Leicester wins at West Brom and we lose, I can hardly wait to hear what kind of course correction Mr. Adams does in his post-game commentary. Last week he was telling everyone there was no chance of Norwich going down.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Did anyone else just hear Neil Adams opening comments on Radio Norfolk? He thinks 5 or 6 points are required to be certain we retain our place in the Championship. He and Richard Balls must be sipping the same kind of beer. If we lose today and Leicester pulls off an upset I will be very interested to see how Neil adjusts his comments in the post game comments.[/quote]

If Leicester wins at West Brom and we lose, I can hardly wait to hear what kind of course correction Mr. Adams does in his post-game commentary. Last week he was telling everyone there was no chance of Norwich going down.

[/quote]Looks like the next two games are going to be critical.(cough)

[/quote]

Looks like the next two games are going to be critical.
(cough)
[/quote]

James, sarcasm does not become you. Now, look carefully at the original point of this thread. The point being made was, that if we could create a FURTHER gap between ourselves and Leicester over the next two games then we would be able to play with less pressure in the remaining six games, which is usually a good thing in a relegation battle. On the other hand, if we were not successful and, given the remaining schedule, the pressure would likely switch to us. If only people could A) read, B) think and then C) write, it would be possible to have some really interesting debates on here. 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="James Maloney"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]Looks like the next two games are going to be critical.(cough)[/quote]

James, sarcasm does not become you. Now, look carefully at the original point of this thread. The point being made was, that if we could create a FURTHER gap between ourselves and Leicester over the next two games then we would be able to play with less pressure in the remaining six games, which is usually a good thing in a relegation battle. On the other hand, if we were not successful and, given the remaining schedule, the pressure would likely switch to us. If only people could A) read, B) think and then C) write, it would be possible to have some really interesting debates on here. 

[/quote]But we haven''t been able to do that.So are the next two games now critical, Yankee?  I think they are...Which, for all your attempt to sound insightful, is on a par with pointing out the sun is yellow, the sky is blue, and alcohol makes you drunk.

[quote user="James Maloney"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="James Maloney"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

(cough)
[/quote]

[/quote]

But we haven''t been able to do that.
So are the next two games now critical, Yankee?  I think they are...
Which, for all your attempt to sound insightful, is on a par with pointing out the sun is yellow, the sky is blue, and alcohol makes you drunk.
[/quote]

James, just one more time to see if the penny can drop for you. Now, read carefully this time. ALL the remaining games are critical and always were, and I NEVER said they were not. What I did say was that if we were able to increase the gap during the next two games ( including today''s ) this would be critical if we were to reduce the pressure that we could play under for the rest of the season. If we failed to do that ( which we have ) then the remainder of the schedule would squarely place the pressure on us. Which has now come to pass.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="James Maloney"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="James Maloney"][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]Looks like the next two games are going to be critical.

(cough)[/quote]

[/quote]But we haven''t been able to do that.So are the next two games now critical, Yankee?  I think they are...Which, for all your attempt to sound insightful, is on a par with pointing out the sun is yellow, the sky is blue, and alcohol makes you drunk.[/quote]

James, just one more time to see if the penny can drop for you. Now, read carefully this time. ALL the remaining games are critical and always were, and I NEVER said they were not. What I did say was that if we were able to increase the gap during the next two games ( including today''s ) this would be critical if we were to reduce the pressure that we could play under for the rest of the season. If we failed to do that ( which we have ) then the remainder of the schedule would squarely place the pressure on us. Which has now come to pass.

[/quote]Yes, but if we can just win our next two games and create some space between us and Leicester...

[/quote]

(cough)
[/quote]

Benolyn is quite good for that, you can get it at any chemists

We have to win our 4 home games ... and being postive ... it is possible .. v bottom side Colchester, Burnley, inconsistent WBA and Grand Prix side Q.P.R. .... why not ...

Our 3 away games will be much more difficult ..... so come on City ... come on Carrow Road !!!!

omg i am sitting here wetting my pants at both of you. Loving your retorts James, written with such simplicity yet achieving maximum irritation to get yankee''s knickers in a twist it really has made my day. Prior to reading this post I was a busy musing over the inadequacies of the ratfink and his ramblings of total utter b**sh*t, however now I am smiling and waiting for the next installment of "The next two games are critical" saga!

[quote user="Dell Girl"]omg i am sitting here wetting my pants at both of you. Loving your retorts James, written with such simplicity yet achieving maximum irritation to get yankee''s knickers in a twist it really has made my day. Prior to reading this post I was a busy musing over the inadequacies of the ratfink and his ramblings of total utter b**sh*t, however now I am smiling and waiting for the next installment of "The next two games are critical" saga![/quote]

But I hear Yankee doesn''t wear knickers, Dell - he twanged his last g-string on here a couple of days ago.

Accounts for his rather sagging analyses and irritability I suppose, poor chap.

OTBC

Having read the original post, thought about it I disagree with what YC is saying, I think it was the first ten league games that were critical, in particular the 8th and 9th league games where we lost at home to Sheff Wed and only managed to draw at home against Scunny and failed to score a single goal... The point is YC yes we need to do well against Colchester but the fact remains that it will not be the result of that match or the next one that determines if we stay up or go down but how many points we accrue over the 46 games, which ever way you slice it. Fans posting messages about the next two games being critical only serves to add more pressure on the team....... 

SOB, the helmet must be getting a little tight again. I''m sure you''ll take it off as the warmer weather arrives. Fans posting messages on this forum has nothing to do with whatever pressure team members will experience.  

Of course, what happens over the 46 games will determine our fate. Rather stating the obvious isn''t it? My point on this thread was that, up until yesterday''s results, if things had gone the right way we could have placed ourselves in a position to play the reminder of our games this season under considerably less pressure. If the reverse occurred we would likely play the rest of the season under fairly considerable pressure and, most importantly in my view, the makeup of our squad at the moment is not conducive to yielding the best results under pressure. 

I don''t believe for one minute there isn''t a sensible poster that disagrees with what I''ve stated. If we woke up this morning and had an 8 point gap on Leicester for the final relegation spot with both clubs having played the same number of games, then that would paint an entirely different picture than waking up with a 3 point advantage over Sheffield Wednesday when they have two games in hand and we go to Hillsborough for the last game of the season. This changes the level of pressure in a significant way.

P.S. To Dell Girl....I can understand why comments written with "such simplicity" are so appealing to you.

P.S. To Dell Girl....I can understand why comments written with "such simplicity" are so appealing to you.

[/quote]Nice to see that in addition to your Masters degree in stating the bleeding obvious, you have a diploma in condescension.  Regular little charmer ain''t you, Yankee?

YC - You are rather missing the point old fruit, had we beat Sheff Wed and Scunny we would have 5 extra points and would be all but safe. I have typed this bit slowly for you......it is utter piffle to suggest that any one/two/three etc games define a season

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]YC - You are rather missing the point old fruit, had we beat Sheff Wed and Scunny we would have 5 extra points and would be all but safe. I have typed this bit slowly for you......it is utter piffle to suggest that any one/two/three etc games define a season[/quote]

Sorry BOD but, with respect to those old long in the tooth games you referred to, you can''t re-write history. Now I can tell you''re thinking a little more clearly which suggests you''ve had a little movement on the helmet. Now, give it a good yank ( no pun intended ) and all will become clear. My original comments on this thread were written in advance of yesterday''s matches. Any retort that you have to my thinking should be in that context. If you cannot, which I can well appreciate that you are not alone in that failing on this forum, then your additional historic wanderings are redundant insofar as I am concerned.