Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

How would you feel about Keown?

I see in a couple of the Nationals today we''ve been linked with Martin Keown. What do you think to this? I''m not sure. Although he has bags of experience and knowhow, I''m not sure if he''s the man for us. I think we''re all agreed that we''d need a pacey centre back to compliment Flem and Malky. Keown certianly isn''t this. I''m sure there are worse defenders we could bring in, but I would have thought there are a lot better!

would think he would bring in excellent valuable experiance.to bring him in could only be a plus.

No thankyou! I don''t think he''s the man for us. We need a more youthful, lithe and sprightly individual, whose able to successfully pursue Mr Henry and other speedsters. Can''t see where we are gonna get a "Billy Whizz" defender from, unless Huckerby drops into the back four.

Maybe we will be allowed to install trip-wires, booby traps and bear pits with the installation of the new playing surface. It would hopefully, slow the Formula 1 premiership strikers down a little!

No Keown for me.....I want Huth if he''s available on loan from the Arse...nal.

Actually he plays for Chelsea and is rumoured to be going elsewhere on loan which is good because he is a donkey, a young donkey I grant you.

Whereas Keown is an old donkey.

Keown on Wolves wanted list according to Sumnday Mirror, as well as other Arsenal (unlike Huth) starlets Bentley and Pennant. I should think they are now in dreamland now that the Black Country Giants are interested, after all Wolverhampton is such a nicer place to live than sleepy old Norwich.

I really would rather we go for someone younger and hungrier, and that goes for any other signings as well, reason being that IMO it would be better - (if we have to) - to go down again and come back reasonably quickly (hopefully) much stronger next time. I actually think we will have enough to stay up and build from there, but in case we don''t this would seem to be the better option. A player like Keown is less likely to stay and help us get back up if the worst case scenario happens.

I agree keown is not exactly the way forward in terms of the future i think we need to have somebody who is prepared to play second fiddle to mackay and flem as the ywill start first choice next season and so should they after the season they had

I don''t see why we need a centre back anyway what about shaknell ? he totally marked earnshaw out of the home game against cardiff i know it was only one game but looked good filling in for drury also

I don''t know if he has got much pace though?

Personally I feel Keown would be an excellent signing for us, even if it would just be for a season or two. As i''ve stated before on this message board, one of my major concerns for next season is that our defence lacks any Premiership experience, the signing of Keown would certainly put an end to that issue. Also, i''ve read people saying he is slow, Keown is not slow. Keown was always very quick for a big defender, ok he may not be as quick as he used to be but i''m sure he''s still faster than Malky and Flem.

It''s ok saying "we need someone younger", but good youngsters who would do a job in the Premiership are hard to come by and when somebody is available they:

A) Tend to cost quite a bit of cash which I don''t think we''ll have.
B) Will be sought after by a lot of other clubs who i''m sure will have more spending power than us.

Keown would be relatively cheap, he''d be on a short term contract so wouldn''t be too much of a problem if we did get relagated and most importantly of all he would bring valuable experience to the defence.

Personally I don''t think he''ll come here anyway, I think there''ll be a queue of Premiership clubs fighting for his signature, most i''m sure offering more attractive deals (MORE CASH) than us, but you never know, "The Rash" could yet be gracing Carrow Road next season.

Hmm I think a bit fat no to Keown. He is slow and more often than not resorts to fouling people because he is just not good enough anymore. As DD said we need some pace at the back. I personally would like to see Danny Gabbidon, he''s looked pretty good for Wales in international matches and he doesn''t seem to be being mentioned with any other prem clubs.

Wouldn''t be a bit embarasing to own the attack monkey. He is the ugliest player in the premiership unless Chadwick is still going. No offence Martin (well a little bit but its tongue in cheek).

I cant see that McKeown would bring us anything that we dont already have. He is not exactly pacey, the biggest fear about Malkay and Flem, so where is the benefit? We need a much younger player for the centre of our defence...Chris Riggot will do fine!!

That''s ok FatMan. I know what you mean. A player like Riggot would be ideal. I saw today that Darren Purse might be available from Brum. Unfortunately, I think he''d be more likely to go to a more established Prem club

Keown ? ............... ex England .......... full blooded attitude in defence .......... vast experience ! ........... ignore the age / slowing bit , it can be a myth ! ....... for my money he can only be a good influence in our defence ........ set him on !! besides ... he does look a bit evil ..... would scare the sh*t out of a lot of players when he goes at them , LOL

Been there,done it,got the t-shirt,and what a role model for Shackell worth signing for that only,and Bentley will feel at home

Is age an issue if the player can defend? The likes of Baresi & Maldini played well into their thirties and current Italian clubs have defences with an average age of 35. Look at valencia this season - won La Liga with games to spare with a left back of 39.

Keown is one of the very few true defenders England have had in recent times - can man mark well and takes control where needed - he is good at defending - just not as good at passing. His defensive ability is one of the reasons why he is so universally hated.

If he can prove Worthy that he has the hunger to play for us and we can get his to take a pay as you play contract then he would be worth considering.

OTBC

Keown? No, No and no.

He is exactly the sort of player City don''t want. For every pound of talent he mave have (or rather did have) comes a lot more baggage, bad attitude and flaws in his play. He is short of pace, but that is not as much of a problem as his short temper and arrogance. Surely we don''t want a player who behaved so disgracefully against Van Nisteroy at Old Trafford earlier this year?

No doubt he would still command a top Premiership salary - money that could be spent elsewhere.

No one truly believed big Iwan was up to the Premiership because of his age, his lack of pace and his fouls. Keown is the same in a different position and the same principle applies. Only difference is Iwan is a gentleman and a true City legend. Keown is a past it thug with a bad attitude.

''Nuff said.

Damn it Master Nagus!, the voice of reason as ever. You''ve taken the words right out of my mouth. The guy is old, and a nasty piece of work in my opinion.

As you so aptly put it, nuff said.

WISE UP MasterNagus and 1st Wizard, and that is what Keown would add to our defence. Green and Drury are class players but need premiership know how and I believe Keown is the man to bring that to the club. He would be in my opinion the most important signing this close season if he joined the boys in yellow. I see Everton and others would like to sign him and Wenger stuck by him because they can all see that you need a Keown is your side even if you players like Henry and Berkamp.

Village: Oh, I''ve wised up alright, are you a scummer by any chance?. Wolves had the same tastes and ideas as yourself, packing the team with old ''experianced'' players, were are they playing next year?, oh thats right, I remember now, Division 1!.

So, maybe its you who should wise up yes?. And if Wenger rates him so bloody highly, why is he damn well letting him go?.

Next please!.

1st Wizard: A scummer?? Been a carrow road season ticket holder since 1976 does that make me a scummer. I agree too many older players causes the team to be a failure. I remember John Bond playing too many older experienced players for both Norwich and Man City and failing. But I do believe that some premiership experience is needed and alot could be obtained from one player ie Keown. Green Drury and Shackell could learn alot from him and I think wenger believes he can do a job in the premier but at his age needs weekly football to keep his body fit. Only my opinion in the end and Worthy seems to have ruled him out. And as at last we have a manager that I trust - what do I know!

For anyone who saw Worthy''s interview on Anglia tonight I hope you were left, like me, in no doubt that we will not be signing players of Keown''s age or near it...at least that was my interpretation of his statement that such players may well have experience of playing in the Prem. but "they wouldn''t have any legs between them", i.e. they won''t be better than what we have already got. Did anyone see it and think differently to me?

Yeah I saw it Susie B and am of the same opinion as yourself. I believe Worthy knows who he wants and we will get a lot of media buzzes over the next few weeks but like Worthy said as soon as there is something to know then he will let us know. My only concern is that the younger players mentioned (ie Darren Purse) seem to be wanted by at least two or three other clubs as well and will they be more financially secure (ie Charlton) to offer better deals which leads me to believe that we may well end up with a lot of the milk instead of the cream.