Sign in to follow this  
Hooleyfan

Do you all really like standing in the lower Barclay?

From my seated vantage point in the Snakepit yesterday it struck me just what a battle it appears to be to get those to the left of the goal in the lower Barclay to take their seats. Stewards are constantly moving from the front to the back to encourage sitting and I wonder  who has the stronger will. I have mates who have season tickets in that area, but are forced to stand along with the rest just to see the game. If its noise and atmosphere that you think are compromised by sitting then I think the Snakepit debunks that theory...what''s your story?

Personally I would be happy to stand the whole game and get annoyed by contantly be told to sit down.  That said I suppose the rules are the rules, but like I said I see no issue with standing.

[quote user="Hooleyfan"]I have mates who have season tickets in that area, but are forced to stand along with the rest just to see the game.[/quote]If youtr mates don''t want to stand why on earth do they have season tickets in that area - move.  I sit there and enjoy standing, although i''m not bothered if seated.  Standing certainly helps people be more vocal.

With regards to the battle of wills there will only be one winner...

Does anybody remember the first season of all seater Carrow Road, when about a 1,000 fans or more were ejected from the Barclay at a game against Coventry for refusing to sit???

Not saying, so other areas please dont get me wrong as we are all passionate about our club as we wouldnt have stuck with it through thick and thin. But the raw passion comes from the Barclay and the  Snake Pit , thats where the noise is and where the chants start. I stand as much as I am able in the Pit. These are the areas where the players turn to for noise and   the best place for them to celebrate the goals you dont get that in the areas where people want to sit. Nothing against people wanting to watch thier football like that, I dont want to which is why my seat is where it is. If you dont like the way it is move to where you feel happier. The standing crowd creates the outflow of passion far more effectively than the sitting crowd. The atmosphere created in The Barclay and The Snake Pit is second to none in the rest of the ground and that partially comes from the standing and giving it large. Dont wish to offend but please get real.

I sat next to an elderly lady in The Barclay on Saturday who couldn''t get up very easily or quickly and clearly missed points of play because a middle aged man, not out of any ill will - just excitement - kept standing up at certain points.

The same problem must affect children, many women and the vertically challenged.

Hooleyfan

The answer to your question is yes, we do. I am speaking on behalf of the crowd near to me, all of them seasoned back row D/E block ST holders. I joined them this season and it''s a great area to watch the game. Granted, at just over 5ft tall I can''t see every area of the pitch when we are attacking, but I will compromise on that for at least feeling I am at a live game.

I have sat in the South Stand and the front areas of the Lower Barclay during the past ten years or so and my current seat (on back row) is the best yet. I can fully appreciate that some fans want to sit down, well that''s okay, they have over 80% of the ground in which to do so.

The stewards near us don''t try and make us sit down, although during the recent cup match v Bury they told us the club had tried to encourage them to do this as many regular ST holders didn''t go, therefore diluting the regular support.

I stood in the back row of the Snakepit in its first two seasons, but we had to move as they turned our seats into those for the use of stewards!!

This Saturday the atmosphere was dire, granted, our little group tried our best to sing - but as a long standing supporter I have to maybe disagree with you that it''s far easier to sing standing up. Ask any professional singer.

That''s why people never stand in the N&P..... (well they do a couple of times a game)

[quote user="Smudger"]

With regards to the battle of wills there will only be one winner...

Does anybody remember the first season of all seater Carrow Road, when about a 1,000 fans or more were ejected from the Barclay at a game against Coventry for refusing to sit???

[/quote]

Don''t know who it was against, I''ve slept since then, but I was one of the ones ejected for refusing to sit down.