Sign in to follow this  

Now before anyone thinks I''m slating Edworthy - I''m not. I think he''s been one of our four or five best players this season. But I think it''s understood that Keith Briggs isn''t really up to standard, and we don''t want Gary Holt being ''wasted'' out there should Edworthy get injured. I think Holt will prove vital in central midfiled this coming season.

Looks as though Griffin is off the list, according to The Sun:

''PORTSMOUTH have signed defender Andy Griffin from Newcastle. The 25-year-old full-back has signed a four-year contract at Fratton Park after joining on a Bosman transfer. Griffin is Pompey’s first signing of the close season.''

BUT, in the same paper, maybe a possibility to challenge Edworthy for that spot, and an international to boot!:

''MARK DELANEY will consider his Aston Villa future if he fails to start games next season. The Wales defender will play his first match for three months against Norway tomorrow night. Delaney, 28, is disappointed not to have regained his right-back slot at Villa after recovering from a knee injury. And he is preparing for showdown talks with boss David O’Leary. He said: “I thought I’d be playing again by now. And if I don’t start the new season as first-choice I’ll be asking to speak to the manager.''

Definitely one for Worthy to consider I think.

Oh and Huth has said that he wants to go to Villa on a year''s loan, and Villa want him, so that one''s out of the question too.

OTBC

Delaney not demanding to move therefore only likely to be available in January and not Aug, might be too late then to splash the cash.

Suggest his wages at Villa may be a stumbling block as he does not want away as we speak.

Huth a teutonic donkey, good luck at Villa.

If Briggs had no future would have been gone, see Easton, Heckingbottom etc.

I believe we are ok at right back, need cover/replacement for Flem/Malky, Purse would be a good option, if at right price.

I agree that the players who have been released clearly have no future here, but that''s not to say that everyone left is a part of Nigel''s plans.

There''s only so many players you can release without replacing them. If he had got rid of Rivers, Briggs, etc. now (on top of those already released) we would be down to the bare bones. I think Nigel might be waiting to see who he can bring in before he decides to release anyone else. Might be wrong though :)

As for Delaney, if he''s disgruntled now, might be worth putting a cheeky offer in, just to test the water.

Granted, though, I''m not sure about his wages or contract length.

Just another name to throw into the hat!

OTBC