Sign in to follow this  
All dots

Norwich the launch pad back to the Premiership for Roeder ?

Citizen Foghorn (I think) said time will tell whether or not GR is more than an impact manager. Personally, I believe he will maximise on his short term achievement here and use it as a platform to get back into the premiership during the summer. Let''s face it, he must realise by now that the Directors talk a good talk when it comes to ambition and backing the manager but they just don''t deliver. And, whilst I''m at it, when did the Turners come on Board and what is the point of them ?

I would be willing to put money on Roeder being here next season. I think suggestion otherwise is naive.

Talk about the club putting a spin on things!!!   None of us know anything of the sort, ok it''s a discussions board but at least let discussions have some substance!

OTBC

I very much doubt whether GR will move on in the summer. He wants to prove that he is not a ''one season wonder'' and is keen to keep the momentum going that he has started since he came in. Why go to a Premiership club? The pressure would be increased several times over and any bad run of results would invariably mean the sack. Look what happened to Allardyce, Sanchez, Lee, Jol, Davies and Hutchings!!  

As for the Turners, I''m distinctly underwhelmed by them at the moment but, for now, we must wait and see. I have never heard Sharon Turner say anything (even at the AGM) whilst Andrew Turners remarks were memorable only for his opinion that ......''Peter Grant was just unlucky''! Oh dear! 

I have heard on the grapevine that the rest of the Board may be getting a little impatient and quite soon will want a clear sense of direction from the Turners as to their future intentions. Clearly they are under no obligation whatsover to shovel in loads of money but the time for ..........''checking the books'' and ''seeing how the club is run'' is long overdue and in pretty blunt terms (in my opinion) they need to ''put up'' or not. 

[quote user="Wings"]I would be willing to put money on Roeder being here next season. I think suggestion otherwise is naive.[/quote]

If a team came calling with money, or a lower premier club come to that, GR would jump ship pretty quick imo. Its just a feeling I have about the man, nothing more.

Earnshaw was great for us, and I see this the same way.

[quote user="All dots"]Citizen Foghorn (I think) said time will tell whether or not GR is more than an impact manager. Personally, I believe he will maximise on his short term achievement here and use it as a platform to get back into the premiership during the summer. Let''s face it, he must realise by now that the Directors talk a good talk when it comes to ambition and backing the manager but they just don''t deliver. And, whilst I''m at it, when did the Turners come on Board and what is the point of them ?[/quote]

If we are talking about the board and Glen Roeder exclusively then they haven''t had an opportunity yet to back the manager.  Judge in the summer. 

Impact manager, platform back to the premiership.  Don''t think so personally.  I reckon Glen is here to stay.  We have potential as a club, if the board match that potential with cash in the summer (I think they will) then Glen will be here for the long haul.  I mean lets look at from a different perspective.  The club needs rebuilding from the ground up, I would imagine for a manager that would be an enjoyable task.

The point of the Turners, don''t know.  Imagine we will find out soon enough.

[quote user="All dots"]Let''s face it, he must realise by now that the Directors talk a good talk when it comes to ambition and backing the manager but they just don''t deliver.[/quote]

Or is it maybe the case that they were willing to "deliver" as you put it, but either of these two things happened and these events have given the perception that the board hasn''t delivered.

a). He was unable to persuade the club to part with a player - Ameobi.

b). He was unwilling to pay the asking price set by the other club - Martin Taylor.

Further to that Maybe he decided that he was best off getting the maximum ammount of loans he could, so that he didn''t have to commit money to transfer fees and 2-3 year contracts at a time when the market is at it''s most inflated (January transfer window).

Perhaps the delivery part is in the summer.

I have been accused of many things but naivety is not one of them. Cynical, possibly. Realistic and pragmatic, definitely. Roeder is clearly an intelligent guy. Therefore, I can see him trading in his chips whilst they still have commercial value.

I understand the Turners have put a lot of time into making the non playing staff at Carrow work longer hours and harder too.

The problem of Munby, Smith,and Doncaster was that none of them have a great deal of experiance working in big companies...... well yes I know that Munby worked at Colemans but he was a Brand Manager there not administration.

Safety at work, and employment law are big things these days and can cost companies a lot of money if the proceedures laid down by the Government are not followed. Would seem to me that the Turners are probably earning their crust in these fields.....boring, boring areas.... so lets not knock them.

[quote user="All dots"]I have been accused of many things but naivety is not one of them. Cynical, possibly. Realistic and pragmatic, definitely. Roeder is clearly an intelligent guy. Therefore, I can see him trading in his chips whilst they still have commercial value.[/quote]

By the same token then "Dotty" do you not think his "chips" will have far higher commercial value as a manager who took a team from the bottom of the Championship to the Premier League and kept them there???  Now perhaps a manager who could do that would be worth his weight in "chips" and be a target for a truly big club.  Otherwise he might only be offered a job by the likes of Bolton, Newcastle(again), Birmingham etc.

I would see Glenn go with a large thank you after 3 or 4 years if he left us mid table in the Prem to go to a top 6 club.  Personally I think he''s the kind of man who sees a challenge and is prepared to meet it head on.  He wants us in the Premiership and he wants to be the man to take us there.  I can''t see him going anywhere unless the board do not keep to the promises they made to get him here in the first place.

[quote user="All dots"].  I can''t see him going anywhere unless the board do not keep to the promises they made to get him here in the first place.

[/quote]

Just one thing there All dots, You dont know what, or even if, he has been promised anything, he just might want to do it hes way, (build a team to go up into the prem). Just to prove a point to his last clubs. But we will never know what, or if, he was promised anything, as that is between him and board. Sorry just a point.

But i say good luck to him, hes done wonders since hes been here, and NO i cant see him jumping to a prem team, not till he gets us to the promised land, (or gets sacked becuse the "crowd" dont think hes doing a good job) remember we lost 5 since hes been here and after the last game some people are now saying hes a crap manager, people are so fickle. I swear some wants us to go down, just so they can say "I told you so". I guess we will have to live with them, and tell them, "I told you so" when we go up next season. Its the nature of the beast i guess, there to be shot at.

[quote user="blood wagon"]

[quote user="All dots"].  I can''t see him going anywhere unless the board do not keep to the promises they made to get him here in the first place.

[/quote]

Just one thing there All dots, You dont know what, or even if, he has been promised anything, he just might want to do it hes way, (build a team to go up into the prem). Just to prove a point to his last clubs. But we will never know what, or if, he was promised anything, as that is between him and board. Sorry just a point.

But i say good luck to him, hes done wonders since hes been here, and NO i cant see him jumping to a prem team, not till he gets us to the promised land, (or gets sacked becuse the "crowd" dont think hes doing a good job) remember we lost 5 since hes been here and after the last game some people are now saying hes a crap manager, people are so fickle. I swear some wants us to go down, just so they can say "I told you so". I guess we will have to live with them, and tell them, "I told you so" when we go up next season. Its the nature of the beast i guess, there to be shot at.

[/quote]

.......... but I didn''t write that. Did I ? Or am I going mad ?!

[quote user="Bobert"]

I understand the Turners have put a lot of time into making the non playing staff at Carrow work longer hours and harder too.

The problem of Munby, Smith,and Doncaster was that none of them have a great deal of experiance working in big companies...... well yes I know that Munby worked at Colemans but he was a Brand Manager there not administration.

Safety at work, and employment law are big things these days and can cost companies a lot of money if the proceedures laid down by the Government are not followed. Would seem to me that the Turners are probably earning their crust in these fields.....boring, boring areas.... so lets not knock them.

[/quote]

Possibly, but I know for a fact that Neil Doncaster (for example) has worked an enormous number of hours each week / month well before the Turners ended up at Carrow Road.

You don''t necessarily need previous experience of working in ''big companies'' either. Norwich City Football Club (from a commercial / ''business'' angle) is not a particularly ''big'' company. The number of key personnel to observe, shadow, interview etc. etc. is comparatively small and there is only one ''business'' site to visit! OK the Turners also have their own business outside of NCFC but they have been at Carrow Road best part of 8 or 9 months now so the ''due diligence'' bit should have been done and dusted a long time ago

My perception (and it is only that) is that the ''business'' side of the club is a well run ship and far more professional and open than many other similar size clubs. Now the ''money'' could arguably be spent in different priorities and that particular issue has run and run in the past and will continue to do so but I doubt whether there is much more the existing staff could do by working .....''longer hours and harder''.  

[quote user="Scooby"]

[quote user="All dots"]I have been accused of many things but naivety is not one of them. Cynical, possibly. Realistic and pragmatic, definitely. Roeder is clearly an intelligent guy. Therefore, I can see him trading in his chips whilst they still have commercial value.[/quote]

By the same token then "Dotty" do you not think his "chips" will have far higher commercial value as a manager who took a team from the bottom of the Championship to the Premier League and kept them there???  Now perhaps a manager who could do that would be worth his weight in "chips" and be a target for a truly big club.  Otherwise he might only be offered a job by the likes of Bolton, Newcastle(again), Birmingham etc.

I would see Glenn go with a large thank you after 3 or 4 years if he left us mid table in the Prem to go to a top 6 club.  Personally I think he''s the kind of man who sees a challenge and is prepared to meet it head on.  He wants us in the Premiership and he wants to be the man to take us there.  I can''t see him going anywhere unless the board do not keep to the promises they made to get him here in the first place.

[/quote]

Ah, but there''s a flaw in your argument. You said : By the same token then "Dotty" do you not think his "chips" will have far higher commercial value as a manager who took a team from the bottom of the Championship to the Premier League and kept them there???  You are already assuming that GR will achive promotion next season and that''s one whacking great big assumption.

Hypothesis : One of the bottom 10 teams in the premiership comes a calling for GR in the summer offering a great big salary and loadsamoney to spend on players. Does he :-

(A) laugh in their faces saying "no thanks" I will gamble all on being able to take Norwich up this coming season even though I know that I will not be given much money to spend (the Turners according to one poster on here today only providing expert advice on ''ealth and safety and employment legislation at the club !) ... or ......

(B) think, Mmmmm, a bird in the hand is worth two in The Nest, take the money and run i.e. instead of gambling all on a rank outsider I will cash in my chips now and leave whilst I''m ahead of the game.

The point being that this time next year, Norwich could be fighting relegation and Gr''s chips worth nothing.

[quote user="Scooby"]

[/quote]

You are assuming ''All dots'', that his ''achievements'' here are enough to attract attention from Premier clubs. While i don''t dispute what he has acheived here so far, outside of Norwich, taking a championship club from the bottom of the table to the middle of the table doesn''t win you any prizes or do anything more than raise an eyebrow of the few in the Prem who even give a sh*t!!

He will need to get us up, and up fast. By next season to really put himself back on the map. We know better than many about his managerial talents, but don''t forget what most of us thought of the appointment - underwhelmed would be the word. By the appointment of a man who was most remembered for playing a large part in getting West Ham relegated and for failing at Newcastle. That''s what many of us thought and so don''t think that''s no longer what everyone else thinks. He needs to turn that view around, and getting us from the bottom to 13th by the end of the season won''t do that. He needs to stay and get us up if he wants to move on himself, and for that reason, at this precise moment in time, Glenn Roeder and Norwich City go together very well.

I wouldn''t call that a flaw in my arguement Dotty old chap, just my optimistic nature and sunny disposition [:D]

I don''t think Glenn came here thinking it was a "gamble" trying to take Norwich to the premiership.  I think it''s all part of his ambitious nature and he certainly thinks that he has the opportunity to do it here.  He''s probably looked at the infrastrucure (let me finish here Wiz), the fans and the potential and thought that everything is in place and that this should be a Premiership club.  Colchester or Scunthorpe may be a gamble, Norwich, more of an ambitious challenge. 

A bottom half club in the prem? Maybe on the slide? Maybe one too many managers already? Probably thinks, Nah.... been there, done that.

I would think that Norwich city is THE ideal club for a top class manager, which I believe Glenn will prove to be, to stamp his mark on. He''s maybe had a look, seen that we were rock bottom and thought there''s nowhere to go from here but up.  The only question is, how far can he take us?  I don''t believe he has any intention of leaving until he has answered that question for himself.

If everyone really is so paranoid that Glenn''s off, then surely it could be argued that the latest ''correction'' in our results - the recent defeats that have seemingly knocked any unrealistic playoff ambitions into touch - is a good thing. We will probably finish just below mid-table, which is hardly likely to attract all and sundry. Now if we were to finish around 7th or 8th other clubs might well take note of our meteoric rise under Roeder.

(Actually I never think it''s a good thing when we lose, but can''t see the point of hypothesising over what Roeder may/may not do in the close season when the board do/don''t give him ample funds for team rebuilding...)

[quote user="All dots"][quote user="blood wagon"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry All dots it was a quote from scooby.

OK I got it wrong again lol.

Sorry

[quote user="blood wagon"][quote user="All dots"][quote user="blood wagon"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry

[/quote]

Well Bloodwagon ( ! ) if you will look at the PinkUn message board at 4.53 in the morning (really ???) what do you expect ?!

[quote user="All dots"][quote user="blood wagon"][quote user="All dots"][quote user="blood wagon"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry

[/quote]

Well Bloodwagon ( ! ) if you will look at the PinkUn message board at 4.53 in the morning (really ???) what do you expect ?!

[/quote]

Wel if you notice All dots, I do live in states and am working nights,so I jump on after work,just to see whats going on, and then when I get up because the board changes so much. But yes i guess i was reading it wrong, which is not unusual for me.lmao

Agree with a1 canary. I think that the only clubs who would offer him a job are in the championship, outside of that many chairman will look at him being sacked from Newcastle and West Ham and ignore Norwich.