Sign in to follow this  
Yellowfuture

WHAT WOULD IT BE LIKE IF WE WERE ANY GOOD

With over 18000 tickets sold you have to be amazed at the support we give to our club. Year after year we sell massive numbers of season tickets, get great crowds and generally in recent history serve up pretty poor stuff on the field.

Just imagine if we became a really successful club, won promotion under Glenn and stayed up.We become an established Prem team just like Glen thinks we should be and start again to challenge for the top four, where we have been in the past. Imagine it, what is the potential for season ticket sales and weekly crowds then. How big a ground would we need to meet the demand, is 40000, 50000 possible? Geographically we are not well placed for a fan base but most people in the County at least seem to take an interest in the club.There is plenty of land around the outskirts of the City, a new stadium is not unrealistic with the possibility of a good return for the sale of Carrow Road. 

How big can Norwich City be? A question the Turners need to be asking themselved when they start looking at a businnes plan and how much to plough into the club for next seasons team. 

Is the sky the limit for LILL AWL NARRRICH?

I`m not really amazed by the level of support and i disagree that we are geographically not well-placed for a big fanbase. Norwich is the regional capital with a population of 300,000 (see boundary change reports) and a county population of 835,000 which attracts people from all over East Anglia for its top 10 shopping centre, pubs, theatres etc. Bearing in mind the lack of competition from other clubs and sports, i think we are getting up towards the level of support we should expect in such an area.

As for the sky being the limit, Doncaster stated that demand was there to sell 35,000 tickets a game in the promotion/Prem seasons so that would indicate we could sell a hell of a lot more for the top games. Having said that i wouldn`t want to see a 40,000+ ground which is half-empty when we are doing poorly.

One thing which is absolutely obvious is that the "little Norwich" outlook which infects so many people connected with the club is now ridiculous. The sad thing is that whilst it continues to hold sway we will continue to underachieve whilst smaller, more ambitious clubs jump above us.

I think we could easily get 120,000 each week given our catchment area. We''d obviously have to sell off Carrow Road though, but instead could build a Nou Camp-esque stadium on the ring road.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

I`m not really amazed by the level of support and i disagree that we are geographically not well-placed for a big fanbase. Norwich is the regional capital with a population of 300,000 (see boundary change reports) and a county population of 835,000 which attracts people from all over East Anglia for its top 10 shopping centre, pubs, theatres etc. Bearing in mind the lack of competition from other clubs and sports, i think we are getting up towards the level of support we should expect in such an area.

As for the sky being the limit, Doncaster stated that demand was there to sell 35,000 tickets a game in the promotion/Prem seasons so that would indicate we could sell a hell of a lot more for the top games. Having said that i wouldn`t want to see a 40,000+ ground which is half-empty when we are doing poorly.

One thing which is absolutely obvious is that the "little Norwich" outlook which infects so many people connected with the club is now ridiculous. The sad thing is that whilst it continues to hold sway we will continue to underachieve whilst smaller, more ambitious clubs jump above us.

[/quote]Again I would like to point out that this "little Norwich" thing is a complete myth. There are a couple of fans who may think like this but I wouldn''t say the club and fans as a whole have that mentality. I think what is more common is people saying that we are not a "big club" which I think is not so bad.If you pay any attention to the Club itself - they suggest that we are a "growing club". Which I think is possibly even more true.As for all of the people that could possibly be in our catchment - I am afraid it doesn''t prove very much. The best thing to go by is the information from the club and the history of demand for tickets. There have been times in the past when our games have attracted over 40,000 - albeit a long time ago now.Again the real point that comes up is investment. Whilst our catchment area is large it is not densely populated. The companies that are up here and earn a good deal of money tend not to be owned by people from here - there are ofcourse exceptions but if you look around these days how many Norwich / Norfolk owned companies / people are there that have enough money to bankroll what is needed for a football team these days?I am not saying it is impossible but this is what has happened in the past - people have a lot of things to say negatively about this club and how certain members won''t sell up etc. The problem when Delia arrived we had the same problem - no one coming forward to invest. At the moment it is not ambition that is lacking - its the weight to back that ambition up with.

[quote user="Grando"]I think we could easily get 120,000 each week given our catchment area. We''d obviously have to sell off Carrow Road though, but instead could build a Nou Camp-esque stadium on the ring road.[/quote]

Problem with the Nou Camp is it doesnt have a roof! Interesting views on the size of our potential catchment area. The Sc.m take in a lot of support(for want of a better word) from Essex and Northern Herts, we dont have those more densly populated ares on our doorstep. However if we did become really successful then no doubt people would want to come from further away, I know we already have quite a lot of fans coming in from Cambridgeshire, I suspect this would increse markedly with quality footy being played.

"As for the sky being the limit, Doncaster stated that demand was there to sell 35,000 tickets a game in the promotion/Prem seasons so that would indicate we could sell a hell of a lot more for the top games. Having said that i wouldn`t want to see a 40,000+ ground which is half-empty when we are doing poorly"

Think small stay small

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

As for the sky being the limit, Doncaster stated that demand was there to sell 35,000 tickets a game in the promotion/Prem seasons so that would indicate we could sell a hell of a lot more for the top games. Having said that i wouldn`t want to see a 40,000+ ground which is half-empty when we are doing poorly

Think small stay small

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="chicken"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[/quote]

Again I would like to point out that this "little Norwich" thing is a complete myth. There are a couple of fans who may think like this but I wouldn''t say the club and fans as a whole have that mentality. I think what is more common is people saying that we are not a "big club" which I think is not so bad.

If you pay any attention to the Club itself - they suggest that we are a "growing club". Which I think is possibly even more true.

As for all of the people that could possibly be in our catchment - I am afraid it doesn''t prove very much. The best thing to go by is the information from the club and the history of demand for tickets. There have been times in the past when our games have attracted over 40,000 - albeit a long time ago now.

Again the real point that comes up is investment. Whilst our catchment area is large it is not densely populated. The companies that are up here and earn a good deal of money tend not to be owned by people from here - there are ofcourse exceptions but if you look around these days how many Norwich / Norfolk owned companies / people are there that have enough money to bankroll what is needed for a football team these days?

I am not saying it is impossible but this is what has happened in the past - people have a lot of things to say negatively about this club and how certain members won''t sell up etc. The problem when Delia arrived we had the same problem - no one coming forward to invest. At the moment it is not ambition that is lacking - its the weight to back that ambition up with.
[/quote]

Sorry Chicken but i receive the annual reports and read pretty much everything which is written about the club and pretty much everything i read suggests a small club mentality. In recent annual reports Munby has stated that we were "in financial terms, a mid-table Championship club" (and this whilst we were receiving £7.1m parachute payments), also that we "over-achieved" in winning promotion and that we hoped to continue over-achieving by fighting for promotion again. I have never heard or read the phrase "growing club" from anyone at NCFC.

And why the constant suprise over our level of support?  As i have said we are in a lucky position as regards being the regional capital of a huge population with no competition, and the only suprising thing is that we haven`t had such a good level of support at times in the past.  As far as relying on information from the club goes about our potential support, it was reported (from quotes by Doncaster) that we had 70,000 enquiries for tickets when we played Chelsea in the cup about 5 years ago and that demand was there to sell 35,000 seats each week in the promotion and Prem seasons.  However anyone wants to spin it that is "big club" demand for tickets.

Even in the championship there are games where we could sell many more tickets than we have avaliable, Ipswich is usually sold out 3 or 4 weeks before the event and many people are left disappointed, a 30000 plus crowd would definitely be possible for that game in the championship and 40000 would be possible if it were in the prem. Leicester a few weeks ago was also sold out several days before the game was played, it is probable that game could have attracted 27000 plus had more tickets been avaliable. I still believe with the right financial backing we are more than big enough to compete in the top half of the prem and ruffle the feathers of the big four on a regular basis as we did 20 years ago.

[quote user="kdncfc"]Even in the championship there are games where we could sell many more tickets than we have avaliable, Ipswich is usually sold out 3 or 4 weeks before the event and many people are left disappointed, a 30000 plus crowd would definitely be possible for that game in the championship and 40000 would be possible if it were in the prem. Leicester a few weeks ago was also sold out several days before the game was played, it is probable that game could have attracted 27000 plus had more tickets been avaliable. I still believe with the right financial backing we are more than big enough to compete in the top half of the prem and ruffle the feathers of the big four on a regular basis as we did 20 years ago.[/quote]

No doubt, so why is it so hard for the Turners to see this? They are sitting on a potential gold mine. A heafty investment could provide them with an extremely valuable asset!

absolutly pure genious coming on this post

we could quite easily be barcelona etc...

anways

norwich would only get 35k max

main reasons why you wont get more

• novelty will wear of after 2-3 seasons in the league much like boro, bolton, fulham, blackburn all suffered the same
  • costs - i.e increased tickets, merchandise etc..
  • if its such hotbed why arent they coming now reguuarly? and if valid reason would you want glory hunting fans if you had good year or two? should norwich fc do more to encourage these fans now? i.e promotions etc...

we8wba, they ARE coming now, that`s the whole point of this thread. We`ve already sold 18,500 season tickets (2000 ahead of last year) and season tickets will be capped yet again at 20,000- in other words, we could sell plenty more if there was no cap. Keep up.

i understand that, but then theres only so many fans who actually go isnt there?

there maybe 100,000 norwich supporters in the area, but 40,000 who can actually afford it, 30,000 who can actually go, and 20,000 who actually wants to go (these arent proper figures just example)

everyone says what a catchment area couldnt same be said for cardiff, swansea, plymouth, bristol r, ipswich ???

im not doubting your abilities to get 25k but getting to the next level i.e 40k regularly not just to see manutd but to watch say fulham at home is big BIG ask what i dont personally think many teams can do really

[quote user="we8wba"]

i understand that, but then theres only so many fans who actually go isnt there?

there maybe 100,000 norwich supporters in the area, but 40,000 who can actually afford it, 30,000 who can actually go, and 20,000 who actually wants to go (these arent proper figures just example)

everyone says what a catchment area couldnt same be said for cardiff, swansea, plymouth, bristol r, ipswich ???

im not doubting your abilities to get 25k but getting to the next level i.e 40k regularly not just to see manutd but to watch say fulham at home is big BIG ask what i dont personally think many teams can do really

[/quote]

Thats true, I think we could easily sell out 30k per game and at a push 35k but wouldn''t want to move into a 40k/50k stadium as it would end up like Boro and Fulham and be half empty

In the promotion season the club claimed (and often to some of my family member who couldn''t get season tickets) that they could have sold the ground two times over easily (i.e. 16,000 x 2 = 32,000).Norwich could easily get 35k+ in the prem. And I think near 30,000 in the ccc if our ground was bigger. And 100,000 supporters in norfolk we8wba? lol. you really do know nothing. Now get back to looking after the nhs''s profit.....[^o)]

[quote user="we8wba"]

absolutly pure genious coming on this post

we could quite easily be barcelona etc...

anways

norwich would only get 35k max

main reasons why you wont get more

• novelty will wear of after 2-3 seasons in the league much like boro, bolton, fulham, blackburn all suffered the same

• costs - i.e increased tickets, merchandise etc..

• if its such hotbed why arent they coming now reguuarly? and if valid reason would you want glory hunting fans if you had good year or two? should norwich fc do more to encourage these fans now? i.e promotions etc...

[/quote]

Pure genius we8wba, you dont really know much about us do you? 

[quote user="we8wba"]

[/quote]

Yes those clubs would have decent arguments but there are counter-arguments: ie. more competition from other clubs and sports like rugby.  The point is none of those clubs have ever had anything like 20,000 season tickets for four seasons running when the team have been poor. And neither have Wolves [:P]

But i have already said that i wouldn`t want to see a 40,000 stadium which won`t sell out when we`re not doing well. 35,000`s about right.

I wish someone would write to the Editor of the Sunday Times and tell him about the size of the catchment area and the size of the fanbase.

I always buy the paper in the hope that there will be more than a couple of lines about Norwich F.C. but almost always there is sod all.

Little ole Narwich....... not much happens there.... but then thats why I live here I suppose. Wasnt there a murder in Hethel about 200 years ago? And the airship when was that built? And Team Lotus won the Constructors title.... Hmm!

I don''t often agree with we8wba, but I think he''s got this one about right. I think our top level of support would be around the low 30,000s if things were looking up on the playing front.

We''re in the lucky position at the minute in that people are still prepared to renew their season tickets out of fear of not being able to do so, because the ground is only just big enough. I think this is why our average attendance has held up so well despite our indifferent form for the past couple of seasons. Were we to have a much bigger stadium the incentive to renew would be lost and people might hold off buying a ticket safe in the knowledge that they could always renew if things picked up.

I think there could still come a point the season after next where if we underachieve again and people''s hopes aren''t replicated on the playing side I think you will see attendances drop off (a comparable situation would, I think, be Leicester - they have a 30 thousand-odd capacity stadium that they used to fill in the Premiership when things were going well, but now get around the 20k mark.)

My comment about the Nou Camp was ironic, in case anyone actually bought into that. In any case it''s academic - our biggest hope of attendances at Carrow Road larger than 25,000 rests on terraces being allowed back, and I don''t see any political hurry to bring them back (I can''t see where the money for another tier on the City Stand will come from - £7ish million + for another 5,0000 people will be the most that brings)...