Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

sp.. just WHO WOULD make your greatest 11.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

obviously fans of an "older generation" are going to have an advantage having seen the greats of yesteryear...

[/quote]

It''s not really an advantage Jas when you consider how many the OG''s have to choose from. It makes it more difficult really. I pick from 1967 onwards and choose from: -

GK: Keelan, Woods, Gunn, Green.

RB: Machin, Culverhouse, Nedergaard.

LB: Sullivan, Downes, Bowen.

CB: Stringer, Forbes, Jones, Powell, Hareide, Watson, Bruce, Butterworth, Linnighan, Polston, Newsome, Fleming, Mackay.

MF: Bryceland, Anderson, Paddon, Livermore, Suggett, Peters, O''Neill, Phelan, Williams, Crook, Townsend, Phillips, Safri.

Wingers: Foggo, Neighbour, Barham, Gordon, Fox, Adams, Eadie, Huckerby.

Forwards: Curran, Cross, Bone, MacDougall, Boyer, Reeves, Fashanu, Royle, Deehan, Channon, Drinkell, Fleck, Sutton, Ekoku, Robins, Bellamy, Roberts, Ashton, Svensson, Earnshaw, Dublin.

So... I always start with Keelan and include Peters but otherwise choose a different eleven everytime.

Tell you what though... it''s great being an old git and seeing that lot play for City [;)][Y]

[/quote]

Pretty good Nutty but I beg to make a few additions.

Keepers           Nethercott

Backs              Dennis Morgan,  Barry Staton

CB                 Monty Norman,   Barry Butler

MF                Jimmy Hill

Wingers          Bobby Brennan,  Errol Crossan

Forwards        Ron Davies,   Terry Allcock

Impossible to pick one team when you''ve seen so many good players but I would have to agree with you that Peters and Keelan pick themselves. All else is personal preference.

[/quote]

"

''fraid that''s before nutty''s time Ricardo.

Annoys the devil out of him that he wasn''t there.

Accounts for summat I s''pose!

[;)][:)]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][

OTBC

[/quote]

That''s exactly why I put from 1967 on my post. Others put the years they began supporting on theirs too. What did you put? 1956-1960??

Two of the players from my list were on the pitch at The Ricoh on Saturday. Dion was one, do you know the other Babes?

1. Bryan Gunn

2 Ian Culverhouse                                                                                    3. Mark Bowen

4. Steve Bruce                      5. Duncan Forbes

7. Ian Crook                   8. Martin O''Neil                     11. Andy Townsend

10. Martin Peters

6. Darren Huckerby

9. Dean Ashton

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][

OTBC

[/quote]

That''s exactly why I put from 1967 on my post. Others put the years they began supporting on theirs too. What did you put? 1956-1960??

Two of the players from my list were on the pitch at The Ricoh on Saturday. Dion was one, do you know the other Babes?

[/quote]

oooooooooooooooo........I say.

Itchy knickers syndrome?   [*-)]

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

No.. it wasn''t him, I can''t even remember him! This player played for both clubs.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

No.. it wasn''t him, I can''t even remember him! This player played for both clubs.

[/quote]

juan Velasco was indirectly "playing" for both clubs with his performance on saturday

jas :)

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]This is bugging me.  I can''t remember his name.  IIRC  he didn''t quite make it onto the pitch, the half-time tombola was on the touchline.

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

This is bugging me.  I can''t remember his name.  IIRC  he didn''t quite make it onto the pitch, the half-time tombola was on the touchline.
[/quote]

Yeah, he only made it to the touchline! He won player of the year for us in our promotion season of ''82 and won the FA Cup with Coventry in ''87 when he crossed the ball for their first equalizing goal.

Jas you lovely boy if you are asking me to name my best ever team in a 4-3-3 line up it would be ,

Keelan

D Morgan                                    M Norman                     B Butler                       M Bowen

O Burton                                    M Peters                      J Hill

E Crossen                                                       R Davis                                                B Brennan

Jerry Goss was a shocking platyer im afraid! he''s remembered for a few goals and not much else! he was a perennial sub in his time here and nearly sold on more than 1 occasion.

jas :)

This is my 34th season so here you go but first a question, whilst Keelan was a great keeper and a great Norwich City player was he actually better than Chris Woods?

Woods

Culverhouse

Watson

Bruce

Bowen

Gordon

Paddon

O’Neil (Martin)

Eadie

Sutton

Bellamy

Mananger: John '' I love the little fella'' Bond

From the official list of players, the voting of the Yellow Rider jury is as follows:

Keeper : Keelan

Full Backs : Culverhouse and Bowen

Centre Backs: Bruce and Watson

Midfielders: O''Neill, Peters, Crook

Winger; Huckerby

Strikers: Davies, McDougall

Wow! What a line up that is, although I don''t go much on the ''work rate'' in midfield! That''s why I sacrificed an out and out right winger for a more ''midfield'' type player in O''Neill.

Problem is I was too young to see the likes of the 59 team so cannot comment on them in detail but fans then would undoubtedly include Barry Butler.

Martin Peters must be an absolute ''nail on'' to make the Greatest Ever - if not there is something seriously wrong with fans judgement (anyone over about age 45 would remember Peters playing for us).

At centre back I think Bruce & Watson was one of the best partnerships we''ve ever had, certainly more class and flexibility than Forbes / Stringer.

Forwards were a real problem - although I rated Iwan in his last few years in truth he is very lucky to ''make the cut'' and be considered against others on this list like Ron Davies, Chris Sutton, John Deehan etc. Deehan is often very underrated due largely to fans opinion being coloured by his unsuccessful spell as manager. As a forward he was outstanding in almost all aspects of his game - ball control, hold up play, vision (watch any video and you will see how he played with his head up), heading and shooting ability.

Almost any two forwards from the list could be picked with real justification but Davies was one of the best headers of the ball in the game at the time and McDougall was a top finisher.      

Nearly forgot the manager - again a difficult choice but Ken Brown wins it for me.