Sign in to follow this  
scott

Please Glen play your best line up possible!

Iam grateful for the sterling job that Glen Roeder has done for Norwich City since becoming manager in October!

He has turned us from relegation certainties to a team that is very close to securing safety for next season and in the process has made some good decisions when bringing in players and shipping out deadwood!

But yesterday at Leicester I felt cheated for myself and for the other 3000+ fans present.

As with Gibbs last Tuesday against Hull, Henry the loanee from Reading gave a poor performance that was lacking of any commitment, bottle and aparent ability to do any good for the team. Playing him upset the balance of our team and then Roeder swapped him over flanks with Croft which effectively put Croft out of the game as he was playing out of position.

Playing the likes of Gibbs and Henry instead of far more capable players in namely Pattison and Hucks doesn''t make any sense especially when you consider we aren''t safe yet and still had a chance of creeping into the play offs. Its obvious that Roeder has ''issues'' with Hucks and it look like hes going at the end of the season but the fact is that now hes still under contract to us still a potential match winner although not as effective this year but still far superior to scared young loanees who don''t look good enough! 

Comon Glen you rightfully got rid of Hartson cause he wasn''t doing enough but he was more threatening and effective than Gibbs and Henry have been so far!

Your going against your earlier ethics in playing ineffective out of their depth players like Henry and Gibbs instead of Hucks and Pattison!

Personal issues with a player like Hucks shouldn''t be made to effect the team! 

[quote user="scott"]

As with Gibbs last Tuesday against Hull, Henry the loanee from Reading gave a poor performance that was lacking of any commitment, bottle and aparent ability to do any good for the team. Playing him upset the balance of our team and then Roeder swapped him over flanks with Croft which effectively put Croft out of the game as he was playing out of position. 

[/quote]

This is what worries me.  Roeder is giving the young loan players every chance in their natural position, which means Croft, who is a proper City player in every way, plays for the shirt and thrives on confidence, is asked to play out of position to accomodate an unproven young lad who''s going back to his club before long.  Meanwhile, Hucks doesn''t make the squad.  I find everything about this amazing.

Totally agree, the one player who looked like getting behind Leicester was Croft - on the right - once he was switched Leicester looked almost trouble free and grew in confidence. I am sure these players were loaned on the basis that they played but we must come first. Also was Bertram unfit yesterday as his inclusion on the left would have been a much better option.

got to agree with post,i think if we had been more attacking minded the leicester defence would have crumbled but foregive me for saying to hoof it up to dion hopefully is not the way foreward.we cant blame the pitch because leicester scored  4 goals on the ground.not a fan of hucks when hes not trying but got to say with wingers runing at the leicester defence we would have had them on the back foot.SORRY Dion fans but he has no legs and when we play a target man sucsess is only limited.watch the top clubs here and abroard they get the ball down and pass.

Yep spot on. I posted something very similar, got slagged off. Now people are coming to terms that it is correct.

I am mystyfied at what is going on. Not playing your strongist team to accomodate loan players is akin to receiving a backhander and I don''t believe the Board would allow that.

I think that Munby,as Chairman, should ask Roeder to explain what is happening and then make some sort of guarded statement to the fans that can be understood if one reads between the lines. Munby is good at that.

Three thousand fans coughed up the best part of £100,000 in gate money and travel to watch the game and they should NOT be shortchanged with the team selection.

Have to agree with you Scott. It seems Glen is becoming a bit of a victim of his own success. He gets the loan players in, great, but then seems obliged to play them, even if they are not the best players for the job in hand. Yesterday on a heavy pitch Henry was lightweight, small and not competative. The game was crying out for the likes of Patterson, someone who could get stuck in and win the ball. Hucks still terrifies defences on my opinion, any Championship side would be delighted to have him in the squad and at least have him on the bench. we are still paying his wages and should be getting some value out of him. He is a hero and despite his big ego, does not deserve to be playing second fiddle to teenage loaneees who are not yet up to the job. 

Learn something from this. This ain’t no sugar rush quick

fix season. Roeder has taken certain players with certain caveats. He needs to

play them for many reasons. Not least of which is to learn. A football team is

a constantly changing, living thing. Sometimes you think you know what you need

to make the organism faster, stronger, healthier, but sometimes these things

have a negative effect. Alternatively it makes sense therefore to now and then

throw the dice. This is the same in any business. I’ll repeat that word....

business.

I sympathise, really.  I’d have been gutted if I’d gone Saturday....

I was at Palace that day with most of you. But GR has a way of doing things.

Some of you might not like it. Some of the players certainly don’t. But its

kind of old school and its the way I would do things also. Its a system that

weeds out not just the leeches, but also those that think they are above having

to dig deep in the freezing rain at some dump like Selhurst Park.

This season is a big learning curve for GR, his coaching

staff, the board, the players and the fans.

I suggest you hold on tight... there’s some interesting

stuff ahead

Forget the best line up this season. Enjoy the bigger picture for a few months.... maybe 18 of them to savour.

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]

Learn something from this. This ain’t no sugar rush quick fix season. Roeder has taken certain players with certain caveats. He needs to play them for many reasons. Not least of which is to learn. A football team is a constantly changing, living thing. Sometimes you think you know what you need to make the organism faster, stronger, healthier, but sometimes these things have a negative effect. Alternatively it makes sense therefore to now and then throw the dice. This is the same in any business. I’ll repeat that word.... business.

I sympathise, really.  I’d have been gutted if I’d gone Saturday.... I was at Palace that day with most of you. But GR has a way of doing things. Some of you might not like it. Some of the players certainly don’t. But its kind of old school and its the way I would do things also. Its a system that weeds out not just the leeches, but also those that think they are above having to dig deep in the freezing rain at some dump like Selhurst Park.

This season is a big learning curve for GR, his coaching staff, the board, the players and the fans.

I suggest you hold on tight... there’s some interesting stuff ahead

Forget the best line up this season. Enjoy the bigger picture for a few months.... maybe 18 of them to savour.
[/quote]

What a load of bo11ocks.  Don''t play your best line up?  I had to read it twice to make sure I hadn''t misread. 

Glenn - please disregard the above post from Attack Barclay and revert to Scott''s message at the top. 

Please play your best team and we need you to get over this problem you seem to have with big-name players coz the image is following you around like a bad smell.

You''re doing a cracking job but not playing Hux, Mo, Semmy and Pattison over recent games and playing too many inexperienced kids has cost us 5 points and if you continue, will quickly undo all the good work and dent your credibility. 

''Bigging up'' these young loanees whilst dropping more effective players who we own is bad management, bad for morale and bad business (for Attack Barclay''s benefit, I''ll repeat that word.... business... it devalues our assets).

I was one of the few who supported your appointment and thought you were very badly treated at West Ham and Newcastle - however, I do worry about this apparent stubborn streak and how it bodes for the future.

[quote user="Attack Barclay 2nd Half FFS"]

Learn something from this. This ain’t no sugar rush quick fix season. Roeder has taken certain players with certain caveats. He needs to play them for many reasons. Not least of which is to learn. A football team is a constantly changing, living thing. Sometimes you think you know what you need to make the organism faster, stronger, healthier, but sometimes these things have a negative effect. Alternatively it makes sense therefore to now and then throw the dice. This is the same in any business. I’ll repeat that word.... business.

I sympathise, really.  I’d have been gutted if I’d gone Saturday.... I was at Palace that day with most of you. But GR has a way of doing things. Some of you might not like it. Some of the players certainly don’t. But its kind of old school and its the way I would do things also. Its a system that weeds out not just the leeches, but also those that think they are above having to dig deep in the freezing rain at some dump like Selhurst Park.

This season is a big learning curve for GR, his coaching staff, the board, the players and the fans.

I suggest you hold on tight... there’s some interesting stuff ahead

[/quote]

What bigger picture???  Other teams players????  Monday of this week we were 4 points behind the 6th place team with a reasonable shout of play-off contention.  Two dubious selections later and we have dropped off considerably. 

It seems clear to me that to get all of these loan signings into the club, Roeder promised Coppell, Southgate, Wenger, Grant and Ericsson that these young players would all get games. Without promising that these young lads would get games, we would never have got them on loan. Now Roeder has to live up to his promise, which is why Bates, Henry, Evans, Gibbs and Bertrand are all getting into the team. ahead of our established first teamers. Which is of course absolutely criminal, as wiht the exception of Evans and Bertrand, the other players are not a patch on Hucks and Pattison. I put Camara in a slightly different band, as he is an established pro, and well worth his first team place at left back, and is not here for experience. He''s here because Derby don''t need him anymore, and we do.

It just goes to show the mess we have temporarily got ourselves into under Peter Grant, and the strategy Roeder has been forced to follow, is both the cheapest and best option to ensure our survival. But at a cost which means first team players get pissed off on the bench or out of the team.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="scott"]

[/quote]

This is what worries me.  Roeder is giving the young loan players every chance in their natural position, which means Croft, who is a proper City player in every way, plays for the shirt and thrives on confidence, is asked to play out of position to accomodate an unproven young lad who''s going back to his club before long.  Meanwhile, Hucks doesn''t make the squad.  I find everything about this amazing.

[/quote]sensible post scott - and agreed choppo - its clear that these young loannes are upsetting the balance of the club, and putting more experienced players noses well outa joint.  obviously, that wasn''t the plan by roedy and clark, but it seems these young boys smack of panic buys by a manger with little, time, money or choice in the jan window.  looks like wenger and coppell sold roeder short.