Sign in to follow this  
Shifty Sid

Roeder v Huckerby

In my opinion, Huckerby has been a great servant for the club and an amazing player.  But, he said two seasons ago that when his contract ran out, that he would probably not be staying - he said, quote "I don''t want to be playing once I am past my best, as a winger you can''t play until you''re 34 or 35".

The reason, I think, that he isn''t in the team is because of his ego.  He''s always used to being the big name in the team, thinking the world evolves around him.  Take the end of last year, when he openly slated his team mates and said it was the weakest team he''d been in.  Ok, he may have been right - but that was highly unprofessional and completely undermined Peter Grant and probably finished off his job here a few weeks quicker that it otherwise would have done.  Again, not a bad thing - but Huckerby is in my opinion a bad apple in the squad and we''re probably now in a postion where we are better off without him.

One thing of note, is that since Roeder has been here, we haven''t had players mouthing off to the press.  I guess he''s already laid down the law on that one.  He''s managed bigger and better players than Huckerby and he won''t be taking any crap from him.  Hucks obviously doesn''t like not being the big fish in the small pond anymore - fair enough, step aside and let the rebuilding begin.

On Roeder, after what he''s achieved this season I can not believe people on here are slating him after one bad result!  Had it not been for the sending off it would have been a mundane 2-0 defeat.  By playing 3 at the back he was merely not conceeding defeat - what do you prefer?  Go for damage limitation or try and get something out of the game, even if you end up losing by a few more?

Some people on here love nothing more than having a moan at someone.  First it was Grant, then Delia and Doncaster, now it''s Roeder (becuase of the Huckerby situation, not because of tactics/results).  If Hucks genuinely wants to stay, he needs to get his back side in Roeder''s office and ask for a new contract, like Fozzy and Doc already have.  Hucks things that is beneath him and that Roeder should go begging him to stay.  Well it aint going to happen!

Huckerby is soon to be the past.  Roeder is our future, so I know which side of the fence I am on.

[quote user="Shifty Sid"]

Huckerby is soon to be the past.  Roeder is our future, so I know which side of the fence I am on.[/quote]

Its not about taking sides, its about giving a loyal decent player who bleeds green and yellow some respect and letting him walk away with his head held high. Plus its about having the best 16 players named in the squad on match days.

I don''t understand what''s so difficult about this.Simple choice - Do you want to play a) Gibbs, b) Henry or c) Huckerby.People who answer a or b need their heads looking at. It''s absolutely disgusting that Darren Huckerby sits at home whilst a couple of kids who have done nothing for the club, and will walk away from the club at the end of the season, botch passes and bottle tackles.

This is Darren Huckerby''s last season for Norwich City FC - but unlike Iwan Roberts and Dion Dublin, he''s being robbed the great hero''s send off by Glenn Roeder that he thoroughly deserves - and it makes me bloody angry.

Shifty Sid - Absolutely brilliant post. Agree with every single word written here, i''m so bloody sick of this Roeder hate being spouted because he won''t play a player who is too old, under-performing, and who 6months ago all fans were crying out for him to be dropped.

.  If Hucks genuinely wants to stay, he needs to get his back side in Roeder''s office and ask for a new contract, like Fozzy and Doc already have.  Hucks things that is beneath him and that Roeder should go begging him to stay.  Well it aint going to happen!

[/quote]After the last two games, you have to ask the question - how does freezing Huckerby out of the frame completely or only playing him on the right help anyone? including the most important element - the team!

[quote user="kick it off"]Shifty Sid - Absolutely brilliant post. Agree with every single word written here, i''m so bloody sick of this Roeder hate being spouted because he won''t play a player who is too old, under-performing, and who 6months ago all fans were crying out for him to be dropped.[/quote]Where has anyone said they hate Roeder? most people are just discussing if Huckerby really should be pushing a shopping trolley around a supermarket on  Saturday afternoons or should make the first 16

[quote user="John Boubepo"][quote user="Shifty Sid"] 

.  If Hucks genuinely wants to stay, he needs to get his back side in Roeder''s office and ask for a new contract, like Fozzy and Doc already have.  Hucks things that is beneath him and that Roeder should go begging him to stay.  Well it aint going to happen!

[/quote]
After the last two games, you have to ask the question - how does freezing Huckerby out of the frame completely or only playing him on the right help anyone? including the most important element - the team!
[/quote]

or even playing young right winger Henry on the Left.  Or subsequently shifting Right Winger Croft there, a position he has been pretty poor in when played there.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Shifty Sid"]

Huckerby is soon to be the past.  Roeder is our future, so I know which side of the fence I am on.[/quote]

Its not about taking sides, its about giving a loyal decent player who bleeds green and yellow some respect and letting him walk away with his head held high. Plus its about having the best 16 players named in the squad on match days.

[/quote]

Absolutely spot on CA. This general topic is something I know we both agree on, but I always struggle to articulate it so succinctly!

[quote user="MK Canary"]I don''t understand what''s so difficult about this.

Simple choice - Do you want to play a) Gibbs, b) Henry or c) Huckerby.

People who answer a or b need their heads looking at.. [/quote]

Fantastic post MKCanary.  The litmus test as fas as I''m concerned on this whole topic.

Suspect 95% of fans would vote C after Saturday''s game.  Including (if they''re honest and know anything about football) Rudeoph Hucker, Jas et al.

One point everyone seems to overlook is Huckerby''s attitude, not ability.  We only see his public attitude.  His private one, within the club might be entirely different. 

It happens everywhere.  Look at United.  Paul Ince became known as the Guv''nor, Fergie says ''There''s only one Guv''nor round here'', and next thing Ince is on his bike.  Same thing with Fergie and Beckham.  I don''t recall too many people slating Fergie for now knowing what he''s doing.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="John Boubepo"][quote user="Shifty Sid"] 

[/quote]After the last two games, you have to ask the question - how does freezing Huckerby out of the frame completely or only playing him on the right help anyone? including the most important element - the team! [/quote]

or even playing young right winger Henry on the Left.  Or subsequently shifting Right Winger Croft there, a position he has been pretty poor in when played there.

[/quote]as was hucks on the right wing on tuesday - everyone knows he can''t play there.  even at the height of his powers under worthy - hucks was a mere mortal on the right, and god-like on the left!!!

One point everyone seems to overlook is Huckerby''s attitude, not ability.  We only see his public attitude.  His private one, within the club might be entirely different. 

It happens everywhere.  Look at United.  Paul Ince became known as the Guv''nor, Fergie says ''There''s only one Guv''nor round here'', and next thing Ince is on his bike.  Same thing with Fergie and Beckham.  I don''t recall too many people slating Fergie for now knowing what he''s doing.

[/quote]

We can only judge on his ability until Glenn tells us different.

Even a half fit, off form Huckerby would be in the best 16 players at this club!!

Roeder has done an amazing job so far but that does not mean he is immune to criticism. His team selections in the last 2 games have been wrong and we have picked up one point and a hiding as a result.

I really hope we aren''t playing all these loan players because we are being pressured to by their clubs. Players such as Pattison, Otsemebor, Spillane and Martin are all likely to be part of the squad next year and are missing out on games because we are playing other clubs young players some of whom do not look up to it so far. Fair enough if Hucks is off then maybe he shouldn''t be an automatic starter but why not play Pattison on the left at Leicester? He is a young player we have outlayed a fair wedge for and he isn''t getting a game....

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Shifty Sid"]

[/quote]

Mr Roeder is in charge of your team.  What he says must go.  He will ultimately stand or fall by it and if he does not want Mr H in for a game then that''s it: he doesn''t want him in.

The buck does not stop with Mr Huckerby or any other player.  It never does.

It stops with the man in charge.  Mr Huckerby is not in charge.

I have no idea if there are "reasons" although, as an outsider I have suspicions, but in any case it does not matter.  Roeder picks the team, not Mr Huckerby.

There are various approaches to this both from players and managers: witness a recent event at my quite hapless Colchester.

Dropping one Teddy Sheringham to the bench (perhaps even more famous than the famous Hucks in his day?) our Manager politely inquired of this lovely guy: "Would you like a full game in a Reserve match?"

"Yes please" said Mr Sheringham.

And thus it was at 2 pm on February 5th in the  Pontins Holiday Combination League before all of 56 people one T. Sheringham played the full 90 minutes and laid on both goals for Mr Guy in our 2-2 draw with the mighty Northampton Town Reserves.

He was still an unused sub in our reasonably creditable draw away to Hull City on Saturday (which we should have won but heigh ho or hey ho even).

There are legends and legends.  I know which one is currently mine (and, yes I respect Mr Huckerby very much indeed).

Perhaps Mr  Huckerby could grace the Reserves with his presence.........just to get a game?

Maybe there is a simpler answer to all ''the why Huckerby is not in the squad scenario?''

Huckerby is suffering from a well publicised hip injury. Since his injection he was involved at the Southampton and Cardiff away matches.

My guess is those 2 games the team flew rather than travel by coach which would have been kinder on Huckerbys dodgy hip.

[quote user="camuldonum"]

...witness a recent event at my quite hapless Colchester.

Dropping one Teddy Sheringham to the bench (perhaps even more famous than the famous Hucks in his day?) our Manager politely inquired of this lovely guy: "Would you like a full game in a Reserve match?"

And thus it was at 2 pm on February 5th in the  Pontins Holiday Combination League before all of 56 people one T. Sheringham played the full 90 minutes and laid on both goals for Mr Guy in our 2-2 draw with the mighty Northampton Town Reserves.

He was still an unused sub in our reasonably creditable draw away to Hull City on Saturday (which we should have won but heigh ho or hey ho even).

There are legends and legends.  I know which one is currently mine (and, yes I respect Mr Huckerby very much indeed).

Perhaps Mr  Huckerby could grace the Reserves with his presence.........just to get a game?

[/quote]

An interesting post and must admit I''m surprised to learn that Sherringham''s learned some humilty in his old age.  However, I think the Sherringham scenario is a little different to ours with Hux.  It may or may not have been appropriate to drop Sheringham.  In our case, we''re suggesting Hux should be playing. 

After 2 suspect team selections and performances, I think if we were to find Hux in the reserves, it would add insult to injury.

[quote user="Chunky"]

Maybe there is a simpler answer to all ''the why Huckerby is not in the squad scenario?''

Huckerby is suffering from a well publicised hip injury. Since his injection he was involved at the Southampton and Cardiff away matches.

My guess is those 2 games the team flew rather than travel by coach which would have been kinder on Huckerbys dodgy hip.

[/quote]

Doubt it, I notice Roeder hasn''t mentioned Hucks in the press.  Its pretty obvious there has been a major bust-up.

In fact noone in the press has even mentioned Hucks in an interview.

There will only be one winner here and it will be Roeder.

I really do not want to see Huckerby going out in this way but things don''t look good at present and it was always on the cards.

Good post BTW Camul.

[quote user="LeedsYellow"][quote user="camuldonum"]

[/quote]

An interesting post and must admit I''m surprised to learn that Sherringham''s learned some humilty in his old age.  However, I think the Sherringham scenario is a little different to ours with Hux.  It may or may not have been appropriate to drop Sheringham.  In our case, we''re suggesting Hux should be playing. 

After 2 suspect team selections and performances, I think if we were to find Hux in the reserves, it would add insult to injury.

[/quote]2 suspect performances - one each for the loanees - as opposed to the 12 or 13 suspect performances Hucks has all to himself this season....I would bet anything that Dion would play for the reserves if he couldn''t get a game in the first team, an opportunity to showcase his talents and why he should be in the team - a chance to stake a claim on a shirt, surprise surprise Huckerby considers himself above that. There is one thing that has always stopped Huckerby achieving as much as he could....His ego.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]

There will only be one winner here and it will be Roeder.

I really do not want to see Huckerby going out in this way but things don''t look good at present and it was always on the cards.

Good post BTW Camul.

[/quote]I think a lot depends on results, injuries and performances of the teenage loanees etc, Roeder could end up with some serious egg on his face, on the other hand, given 20 odd games Gibbs may turn out to be just as good as Huckerby

[quote user="LeedsYellow"][quote user="camuldonum"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

But Sheringham was happy to do it, apparently to get a game.  I have admiration for that, personally.

Not that many legends or potential legends would volunteer for 90 minutes against Northampton Town Reserves unless you were desperate to play (My opinion).

I am torn in a way, he is one of my favorite players to have played in a Norwich shirt, he deserves to leave on a high. Like has been said, we don''t know what he is like in training, around the camp etc. I think that he would be a pain in the ass, but a loyal one, who would command the best out of everyone.

But on the other side of the coin is that we are a team, club and a future, we have to do what is best for the club, not for the individual player involved. I still think that Hucks, warrants a place in the squad,  not always first choice as he has not been palying to his own high standards. Oh, I''m torn. I can imagine him playing on Saturday and playing well.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

Not quite sure if you are talking about Bobby Brennan or Bill Punton.

Could you be an angel for me and clarify? Thanks.

OTBC

P.S.  Just had a thought. Couldn''t be that other golden oldie of the left - Darren Huckerby - that you are talking about, could it?