Sign in to follow this  
Andy Down Under

Darren Purse anybody?

According to Alan Brazil this morning its a done deal with Brucey doing us a favour.

But then according to Alan Brazil Ipswich are the best team in the world..

Football 365 says he is on his way for £500k, at last a realistic target that will add to our squad.

Gary Megson sure to be interested, although he may be distracted by the others he has been linked with.

Hah, I linked us with him three or four days ago on my lets get realistic . . . posting. A good signing indeed. And I hope we do get him.

As for Megson, he has signed or is trying to sign every player under the sun. How many more will go knowing that they already have a largish squad and they are less likely to start regularily.

What he has so far is nothing I would be bothered about. Dickov isnt that great and neither is Scimica. If Scimica was good he would be going to portugal instead of Phill Neville.

Darren Purse has at least been linked with playing for England in the past but has just has an unlucky season with injury. I think he would be a great signing. Along with Pennant if we can get him. They are the two that I am most interested in.

How old is Purse and what sort of pace has he got (bearing in mind that Malky''s possible lack of it against Prem strikers is a concern)?

Purse is 27 and has a couple of season premier experience. Pace is not exceptional but better than Malkays. I have heard of a £500k deal being muted too which sounds reasonable. He fits most of the requiements, - prem experience, correct position, right age, still has something to prove so it sounds hopeful - damn sght better option than Scimeca.
Is this one down one to go for chicken?

I also see that Dominic Matteo is looking for a new club, Leeds will sell and have turned down a season long loan request. Not sure what price they ae looking for though. At 29 he is probably at the top end of the age range but certainly not out of it and has a wealth of experience.

OTBC

I would definitely like to see Purse here - he was amazing in Division One for them, and has never really been given a chance in the Premiership. When he has played, though, he''s looked pretty good from what I''ve seen.

The price sounds good (if £500k is to be believed), and he plays in one of the positions that definitely need strengthening.

Just out of interest, I looked on CM4 at the ''Pace'' rating for Purse, Malky and Flem. The results are... (drum roll please...):

Flem: 10 / 20
Purse: 15 / 20
Malky: 7 / 20

Oh dear, Malky!

OTBC

we shouldnt all be too worried about Malks lack of pace.. its all about positional play.. hes ok.. lets face it.. if Henry gets half a yard hell skin even the quickest defender in the world anyway... same as most prem strikers..

we shouldnt all be too worried about Malks lack of pace.. its all about positional play.. hes ok.. lets face it.. if Henry gets half a yard hell skin even the quickest defender in the world anyway... same as most prem strikers..

With regards to Matteo it is likely leeds would let him go for a million according to football365

I''m with Carlies dad about Malkays pace, or lack of it.
I see that Charlies Dad is following that most important of marketing maxims, "It''s not what you say that''s important, it''s the number of times that you say it!!"

So, MG7, we are now basing decisions on "CM4"??
I prefer the fact that when the players of Division 1 picked their "PFA Division 1 Team" then Malkay was our only outfield defender selected. I prefer the fact that based on scores given at every match last year by the EDP team of sports writers then Malkay came out as our top outfield defender player. I prefer the fact that he is now being picked as an international defender......."CM4"???? Tosh!!!!

I heard this too, Goss-pel, and it''s interesting that Man. City allegedly cannot come up with the money to finance a permanent deal, hence their approach about a season-long loan!

One would hope so, Super S C. I would rather accept the judgement of people involved in watching Norwich day after day than the judgement of some "techies" who simply want to write a program.