Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

When is an England U19 player a 'hot prospect'? A ramble.

Mainly when he''s on the books of a premier league club apparently.

Let''s get things in balance.

If he was a real hot prospect the he''d be in the U21 squad by now, wouldn''t he?

Joe Lewis is in the current U21 squad. He was our 3rd string and we sold him to a League 2 club.

Ryan Jarvis and Rossi Jarvis to name two were fairly regular at U19 level - and younger age groups.

The Arsenal and Reading youngsters were obviously brought in as rather desperate last minute squad fillers - us having pushed out some of the dead wood in January. Rather like a job lot, I suppose.

And if we have commitments to give them substantial first team playing time and they turn out to be not ready (for whatever reason) then what?

Just my rather unputtogether thoughts.

The thinking behind the club''s January transfer window activities is unclear. In the current euphoria surrounding Glenn''s undoubted success so far one is reluctant to go down the path of the club bottling an opportunity to make a run for the playoffs, but...

Things change so quickly in football these days that an opportunity missed at the flood is opportunity spurned. Who knows what next season will bring despite the waves of optimism the club is now enveloped in?

I''ll stop rambling now, but someone may be inclined to make more sense of my thoughts! And of course some of you may wish to flush them! Be my guest.[:)]

OTBC

What player are you talking about in this post??  I am asuming Gibbs because Bertrand is in the England U19 squad and he is a great little player.  I think you should make your posts more clear.

Yep, total rambling nonsense!  Loans brought in to fill gaps after weeding out the unmotivated.  Judge Roeder on his purchases and signings in the next 12 months and are position at the end of NEXT season.  For this season just be elated we can still dream of playoffs to the premier league next season.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Mainly when he''s on the books of a premier league club apparently.

Let''s get things in balance.

If he was a real hot prospect the he''d be in the U21 squad by now, wouldn''t he?

Joe Lewis is in the current U21 squad. He was our 3rd string and we sold him to a League 2 club.

Ryan Jarvis and Rossi Jarvis to name two were fairly regular at U19 level - and younger age groups.

The Arsenal and Reading youngsters were obviously brought in as rather desperate last minute squad fillers - us having pushed out some of the dead wood in January. Rather like a job lot, I suppose.

And if we have commitments to give them substantial first team playing time and they turn out to be not ready (for whatever reason) then what?

Just my rather unputtogether thoughts.

The thinking behind the club''s January transfer window activities is unclear. In the current euphoria surrounding Glenn''s undoubted success so far one is reluctant to go down the path of the club bottling an opportunity to make a run for the playoffs, but...

Things change so quickly in football these days that an opportunity missed at the flood is opportunity spurned. Who knows what next season will bring despite the waves of optimism the club is now enveloped in?

I''ll stop rambling now, but someone may be inclined to make more sense of my thoughts! And of course some of you may wish to flush them! Be my guest.[:)]

OTBC

[/quote]

Joe Mattock - England Under 21 first choice left back, subject to a number of seven figure bids from Premiership clubs = Hot Prospect.

Actually, on re-reading my thoughts I think they make a lot of sense. Far from a ramble. So I''m changing the name of the post to refocus it as the synopsis for a case study.

[:)]

OTBC

Rambles maybe but can see some sense out of them!

Just cause a player plays for England U19''s doesn''t gaurantee he''ll become a wonder player - Afterall look at the Jarvis Bros neither are going to be good enough for anything other than 4th Division at best and our steady but very unspectacular Daryl Sutch played for England U21''s! 

Gibbs was like a scared kid afraid to express himself against Hull. He maybe highly rated but unless we hit a crisis like Saturday is turning out to be them he doesn''t deserve another chance!

As for Mr Henry - Unless he starts getting stuck in and looking just a little bit determined then he''ll not make the grade and I certainly don''t want to see him play our club again. Glens done a great job so far but omitting Pattison and Hucks for clearly not ready for it and up for it loanees has been a massive own goal!

[quote user="foxile"]Joe Mattock - England Under 21 first choice left back, subject to a number of seven figure bids from Premiership clubs = Hot Prospect.[/quote]

I forgot to say hes only 17.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Actually, on re-reading my thoughts I think they make a lot of sense. Far from a ramble. So I''m changing the name of the post to refocus it as the synopsis for a case study.

[:)]

OTBC

[/quote]

Makes complete sense to me Bly.

I can''t see where the loanees fit with building for the future.

Glenn has done extremely well to get us out of a dark hole but I fancy the next step is going to take a lot more real investment.

The present euphoria seems to have hidden the fact that this investment is unlikely to happen if the past few close seasons are anything to go by.

Will we be happy come next August? I would like to be pleasantly surprised but I somewhat think that things will be much the same

I think the step up from under 19 to under 21 is as big as from under 21 to full international level. You just don''t know how some one is going to fare at this early stage in their careers. With regards to our loan signings, I thought yes they may have been a slight panic buys, but they are loans and we needed the players in the squad, on the face of it, Gibbs and Bates had massive potential, poor old Bates did not get a real go with the injury cutting jos stay. Gibbs, given time whether this season or next, will come good. Not sure about the others, and to be honest, I only care about the loan players here and there performances here, what they get up to after they have left us, is none of my concern. I''m just GR done the right thing and got bodies in, they all provide very good cover in nearly every position except maybe Forward.