Sign in to follow this  
nutty nigel

It's all about how you handle defeat ....

City are now nine points off the play-offs, and Roeder is clearly not giving up the chase.

“Everyone is looking at them,” he said. “I don''t predict in football, all I predict is next week against Barnsley you will see a vastly different Norwich City team, and I don''t mean players, I mean in terms of performance.

“I believe that we will zip this unbeaten run and we will start another run next week against Barnsley, and hopefully that will continue right to the end of the season.

“It is all about how you handle a defeat. You can lay down and cry like babies or you can stand up like men and march on and for me there is only one alternative and that''s the latter.”

This got me thinking about us posters. Who are standing up like men and marching on [Z] and who is left crying like babies [:''(]

I''m not crying Nutty because our long run had to come to an end sometime it was just the manner of the defeat which upset me. I will go marching on but I hope I''ll be marching with the best 16 for the job against Barnsley on Saturday.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

City are now nine points off the play-offs, and Roeder is clearly not giving up the chase.

“Everyone is looking at them,” he said. “I don''t predict in football, all I predict is next week against Barnsley you will see a vastly different Norwich City team, and I don''t mean players, I mean in terms of performance.

“I believe that we will zip this unbeaten run and we will start another run next week against Barnsley, and hopefully that will continue right to the end of the season.

“It is all about how you handle a defeat. You can lay down and cry like babies or you can stand up like men and march on and for me there is only one alternative and that''s the latter.”

This got me thinking about us posters. Who are standing up like men and marching on [Z] and who is left crying like babies [:''(]

[/quote]

Nail. hit. head.

[quote user="cityangel"]I''m not crying Nutty because our long run had to come to an end sometime it was just the manner of the defeat which upset me. I will go marching on but I hope I''ll be marching with the best 16 for the job against Barnsley on Saturday.[/quote]

We have had our differences but this post is spot on our best 16.

Its was just one game nutty, one loss after 13 games without losing. Ok its was 4 - 0 but so what all teams get stuffed once in a while. What far more important is what happens in the summer? Roeder has done wonders with what he found and with what he got in but come the summer we will want at least 9 replacements, that''s another total rebuild. We all know the club has money from past player sales but will the board let Roeder build a real Norwich City FOOTBALL team or are we destined to rebuild every season with 6 or 7 loan player? I think I will be crying next season if other clubs hold the registrations of half of the team we put out in our first game?

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

Spot on post. How can we have a "team" when it is packed with loan players with little long term interest in the club? It is a dangerous game that GR and the board play. Surely the summer must see some stability come into play with signings that are for the long term. The last two games have been a wake up call -I wonder why it was not spotted earlier. Seems that survival is the objective this season(probably achieved) but a lot rests on GR and the board. At the moment I feel my season ticket is a bit of a fraud as it is not the real Norwich City out there-more a bunch of passing strangers.

[quote user="The Sweeney"]Spot on post. How can we have a "team" when it is packed with loan players with little long term interest in the club? It is a dangerous game that GR and the board play. Surely the summer must see some stability come into play with signings that are for the long term. The last two games have been a wake up call -I wonder why it was not spotted earlier. Seems that survival is the objective this season(probably achieved) but a lot rests on GR and the board. At the moment I feel my season ticket is a bit of a fraud as it is not the real Norwich City out there-more a bunch of passing strangers.[/quote]

do the loaness really care if they come 22nd than 6th? most loanees will never play norwich after this season so maybe there motives arent all right. i mean if this chap of reading is on verge there team and 50/50 will he go in 100% risking long term injury if comes of worse? but then you can turn coin round and say he go the extra mile to prove he good enough

These are professionals.  Loans or permanents.  To believe they don''t have the desire or will to come out each day and try to win each and every game is insulting to them.  Unless anyone can point to a player obviously not giving effort or training well, then there''s no reason to believe a team full of loanees would act any different than a team of permanent players.

good post NN. im of the opinion that we can, and hopefull will, bounce back from this... I''d take a darw against Barnsley, never an easy team to beat and undoubtedly on a high id expect after the weekend...

then we have Blackpool at home, they are struggling and we should take 3 points off them.. then its 2 games unbeaten and everyones happy again.

jas :)

With you on this one.I can take that defeat because I would prefer to be beaten 4-0 in one game than 1-0 in four games.

[quote user="cityangel"]I''m not crying Nutty because our long run had to come to an end sometime it was just the manner of the defeat which upset me. I will go marching on but I hope I''ll be marching with the best 16 for the job against Barnsley on Saturday.[/quote]its a great rallying cry nutty, and i applaud roeder - the man only knows one way - however, it would be more realistic in my mind, if he could take experienced men with him onto the field of battle, than young loannes - its rather like the hitler youth trying to defend the fatherland in the dying days of WW2!!!if he gets us into the playoffs, let alone promotion, then it would surely rank as the greatest achievement in city''s history imo, and deserve a statue of roedy outside the ground - cos seriously, the odds are stacked well against him.  rather than getting teanager loanees in jan window, imagine getting 3/4 experienced players in???the board didn''t support roedy in jan with the intention of mounting anything than a mid-table finish, and i think thats we''re we''ll end up.  fair enough, if a realistic playing budget is made available for roedy in the summer window. at least we had 2 days this season when we could allow a play-off dream to enter our thoughts......

[quote user="we8wba"]bouncebackability is needed for norwich[/quote]

"Boing Boing" as your pathetic local rivals would say[;)] (although they are top of the tree atm so not so pathetic maybe, but still its a crap catchphrase they''ve adopted)

Well of course you you are right  Nutty Nigel , everyone who knows football should know that . I for one can''t wait to see the team that Glenn puts out next season , when our assault starts on the championship proper  [Y] arrdee .

[quote user="newyorkcanary"]    These are professionals.  Loans or permanents.  To believe they don''t have the desire or will to come out each day and try to win each and every game is insulting to them.  Unless anyone can point to a player obviously not giving effort or training well, then there''s no reason to believe a team full of loanees would act any different than a team of permanent players.
[/quote]

Steve Walsh and Tony Cottee?.......

[quote user="paint_me_yellow"]

"Boing Boing" as your pathetic local rivals would say[;)] (although they are top of the tree atm so not so pathetic maybe, but still its a crap catchphrase they''ve adopted)

[/quote]

top tree 4th nowdays? hmmm not when last checked!!! if you on about those tesco carrier bags then i didnt see much boing boing vs us last march or october nor even at playoff final

they will reach fa cup semis, which is GREAT!!as i get to see them get their hopes up, go to wemberly and get crushed by manutd!! live actually couldnt be sweeter on my view of them

[quote user="cityangel"]I''m not crying Nutty because our long run had to come to an end sometime it was just the manner of the defeat which upset me. I will go marching on but I hope I''ll be marching with the best 16 for the job against Barnsley on Saturday.[/quote]

CA, as strange as it sounds, I was not overly concerned or indeed jarred off that we lost on Saturday. We have done very well of late, GR has done a great job. We will kick on now, rise a few more places. I think that Saturdays game, could be the most important game of the season, I''m not saying that we will get sucked in the relegation battle again. But with another defeat comes less and confiedence again, I suppose a bit like when Granty was here, but another win, will kick in the confiedence again and the players will think that we have lost once in 15-16 games. If I''m right, that is the first game we have conceded more than once since the last time we lost in early December to Stoke.

[quote user="we8wba"][quote user="paint_me_yellow"]

[/quote]

top tree 4th nowdays? hmmm not when last checked!!! if you on about those tesco carrier bags then i didnt see much boing boing vs us last march or october nor even at playoff final

they will reach fa cup semis, which is GREAT!!as i get to see them get their hopes up, go to wemberly and get crushed by manutd!! live actually couldnt be sweeter on my view of them

[/quote]

Why don''t you run along now and go and learn to write English on NHT time instead of bothering us.

You could come back in a couple of years or so when Wolves are in League 1. Problem is then that with us in the Prem you wouldn''t have much to talk about would you. Assuming that the NHT waste sleuths haven''t sussed you yet.

Clement Atlee is resting peacefully - now don''t you go and make him turn over, there''s a good lad.

OTBC

OTBC

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]
the board didn''t support roedy in jan with the intention of mounting anything than a mid-table finish, and i think thats we''re we''ll end up.  [/quote]

Please show us the evidence for this as you repeat this statement constantly as if it were a fact. Actually if you go back over the transfer window period GR made it clear that there were a least of couple of players he would have liked to sign but was not able to for differing reasons. I think the fact that sensible offers (according to GR''s valuations) were made does not show a reluctance of the Board to part with cash?

[quote user="The Sweeney"]Spot on post. How can we have a "team" when it is packed with loan players with little long term interest in the club? It is a dangerous game that GR and the board play. Surely the summer must see some stability come into play with signings that are for the long term. The last two games have been a wake up call -I wonder why it was not spotted earlier. Seems that survival is the objective this season(probably achieved) but a lot rests on GR and the board. At the moment I feel my season ticket is a bit of a fraud as it is not the real Norwich City out there-more a bunch of passing strangers.[/quote]

Maybe because we kept winning. These "passing strangers" in the near past included such rising stars as Crouch and Bentlley, who have done pretty well for us. We have every reason to take pride in playing part in their progress, besides: we were in no position to make them permanent signings anyway. Compared to them, and with hindsight, how much more long term interest did Etuhu, Ashton or some other permanent players had  in us? With the loan players at least we know what to expect.  Now we have Evans, who seem to have a great future in the game, while Bertrand and Camara are also doing well. (Taylor and Bates were good loans too.) In professional football it''s ambition over loayalty, and the loanees, who are fringe players at their clubs, must  work hard to prove themselves -- not only for NCFC but for their clubs as well.

While new players will certainly come in in the summer, it will still be a thin sqad even with 5 to 7 new permanent signings, so good loans will still be much needed to add depth and competition.

[quote user="we8wba"][quote user="paint_me_yellow"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I failed to notice they were now 4th...oops [:$]. They''re still doing well I suppose

Still a crap catchphrase WBA have though.[;)]

prety funny bly - norwich in prem wolves in league 1

Last time i checked wolves finished above you last two seasons and currently above you and look like theyll stay above you

USACANARY - makes v.good point. short and sweet and its correct

in anycase you cant tell until you play few games how you handle defeat

[quote user="bunny"]

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]the board didn''t support roedy in jan with the intention of mounting anything than a mid-table finish, and i think thats we''re we''ll end up.  [/quote]

Please show us the evidence for this as you repeat this statement constantly as if it were a fact. Actually if you go back over the transfer window period GR made it clear that there were a least of couple of players he would have liked to sign but was not able to for differing reasons. I think the fact that sensible offers (according to GR''s valuations) were made does not show a reluctance of the Board to part with cash?

[/quote]you''ve answered your own question!!! roeder identified targets, but we didn''t secure them - and instead finished up with young, fresh faced loanees - who have bombed thus far???  sensible offers that don''t materialise into signings (cos we can''t afford to pay the going price) has been city''s forte of late, but thats to be expected given our income.   i''m suggesting that a small squad of 14 fit first teamers and 4 loanees (as was in jan) isn''t demonstrating prem ambition because the board set their sights on avoiding relegation this term, rather than believing we could go on a huge run and even make the play-offs.  is that rational enough for you??? oh, and that may well be the most prudent thing to do, but 2 games ago we were 4 points off the play-offs and imagine we''d signed 3 experienced men in the jan window, than young loanees!!!  our run has faltered, and lets all hope we win on saturday, cos i don''t fancy being dragged back down into the dogfight again.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]  our run has faltered, and lets all hope we win on saturday, cos i don''t fancy being dragged back down into the dogfight again.

[/quote]

This was the point of the thread Lucky! 1 defeat and some fans are ''crying like babies'' about relegation. Do you realise that in the first 13 games this season under Grant we manged to pick up 8 points. Surely the most pessimistic of fans don''t see the last 13 games being that bad or worse?