Sign in to follow this  
Barry Brockes

Team for Next Season

At the risk of being somewhat premature and on the assumption that we will be in this league next season which players presently at the club do we think are good enough to be in a side that is going all out for a top two finish. I''m not referring to squad players able to fill in where needed but players who, if they''re fit and available, should be in GR''s starting eleven week in, week out going for that top two slot with the qualities that are needed to do just that. I''m also assuming that Dion and Hucks will be gone and all the loanees will have returned from whence they came.  

if loans go back, hucks dublin leave/retire your left with

goalies - marshall, gilks

defenders - shackell, drury, ostemphor, doherty, r.jarvis, lappin

midfielders - croft, chadwick, fotheringham, russell, pattison, eagle, spillane,

strikers - cureton, martin, renton,

looks bit short numbers - 3strikers none particarly prolific. one with experience who could score 10goals in this league at push

midfield - russell gets injured then your in deep poo poo

defence - drury gets fit, covers your left back position and solves few probs

goalkeeper - marshall top notch in this league, can norwich hold off those vultures? even if team like wba went up they could pinch him

obviosuly norwich will go into the market in summer, but you need quality over quantity or you will struggle again

[quote user="we8wba"]

midfielders - croft, chadwick, fotheringham, russell, pattison, eagle, spillane,

[/quote]

You''ve missed Cave Brown (defender) Camara( think he''s staying) one of the Jarvis brothers, Ryan is a striker and Rossi is a midfielder, Bally Smart( midfielder) plus  its Ostemober not Ostemphor!!

camara stay isnt assured is it? sorry missing out those players im sure they will be somewhat positive players for you next season

ermmm, I''m sure it''s Otsemobor actually!! I''ve never seem one person''s name spelt or pronounced incorrectly so many times, it''s really not that difficult is it?

Out of those i dont think Eagle, Lappin or either Jarvis will be with us....  Camara is still only a loan but imo is better the drury so would like to see him sign on and give depth in that position..

So we would need  to give us a smallish but workable squad....

2x Centre Halfs  (Taylor or Gabbidon and a young loan/prospect?)

2x centre Mid  (Lee Johnson/Commons/Bowyer/Doyle)

1x Winger  (Stelios/Bell??????)

2x Strikers  (Any of Ameobi/Eastwood/Carroll/Zamora/Evans/Sibierski/Porter/Mclean etc)

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="we8wba"]

[/quote]

You''ve missed Cave Brown (defender) Camara( think he''s staying) one of the Jarvis brothers, Ryan is a striker and Rossi is a midfielder, Bally Smart( midfielder) plus  its Ostemober not Ostemphor!!

[/quote]

Come on CA give him a little credit he has managed to work out how to post on a message board even though hes from wolverhampton.

Ac[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="we8wba"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Actually CA, its Otsemobor. :)

russell''s red card is out of character - i''d say underneath he''s unsettled - possibly cos he''s attracting attention from bigger clubs.  if so, we''ll sell - in the current inflated market - he''d go for £1m - £1.25m.  unless we have serious dosh to compete with the relegated and sugardadied clubs in this league, of which there are now plenty - roedys strategy will be to identify free''s and loanees.   we need a striker to take us forward, cos young martin and hucks saved us last year from the drop, and chedders has done the same for us this year - he''s only a young boy and played above his years, but he could easily have flopped at his age - and imagine where we''d be then???

So, who are the cast-iron sure-fire starters in the team for the first game of next season from the present squad if they haven''t moved on: Marsh, Semi, Shacks, Doc, Dreary and Rusty? Are they of sufficient quality to enable us to go for a top two finish? It leaves us mighty thin in other areas and in desperate need of two quality strikers plus at least one midfielder and a winger who can chip in with ten goals each. Sorry but Fozzy and Crofty won''t do that.  

We''ll probably inherit a percentage of Kings Lynn''s cast-offs.......

No rising stars in our current squad (apart from a certain loan from Sven) and the rest of the present squad are at best quite average - to be perfectly honest.....

I await with curiosity - on what is to occur during the close-season and the coming and goings, of not only the playing squad......but some ''other areas'' of NCFC.....

Goalkeeper - Marshall, Gilks, Arnold - Blessed in this department, Marshall is one of best in the league and Gilks is able cover with Arnold being third choice, no problem here!

Right Back - Otsemobor, Cave Brown, Velasco?! - Otsemobor is a good attacking right back in this league and is fine defensively, if Velasco stays then he will provide good competition and also maybe a more able defensive option, Cave Brown again being a good third choice and should get a few games

Centre Back - Doherty, Shackell - Definately one area that needs strengthening, Pearce will not be staying, so we need two more cb, preferably Taylor with one other on loan or lower league player on the cheap

Left Back - Drury, Lappin, Camara?! - Plenty of depth if Camara stays with him pushing Drury for a start and Lappin, if he stays providing back up although not entirely convinced he wont want to move back up north

Right Midfield - Croft, Chadwick, Smart - Able cover in this position with Smart who will get his chance, Croft and Chadwick are two good champ standard for this league and will be fighting for the starting place

Centre Midfield - Russell, Fozzie, Pattison, Spillane - Good cover in this area with Spillane and Pattison will keep Russell and Fozzie on their toes, with who on their day are one of the better cm combinations in the league

Left Midfield - Eagle, Pattison?! - If a cm is brought in then only one lm is needed to compete with Pattison, however if Pattison is needed in the centre then a first choice like Commons or Hoolahan is needed with a year long loan, perhaps someone like Gibbs for the season to see what he can do

Centre Forward - Cureton, Martin, Renton,  - None are particularly prolific with Cureton hugely disappointing this season, if Evans is brought in permanently he will get us around 15 goals a season and would need to be paired with a bigger striker who will create goals as well as getting them, someone like Ameobi would be perfect, however Eastwood or Paterson would be more likely although not that big

So all in all it would look at bringing in 8 players

Velasco - Free

Camara - Free

Taylor - 750 000

Ramage/ Bates - Loan

Hoolahan/ Commons - 500 000

Gibbs - Loan

Evans - 1 million

Paterson - 1 million

So in total 3.25 million

although we have our differences poor man earnshaw - i like the look of possible midfielders

hollahan will cost more 1m now though, commons will be on free i believe but if he signs new deal will cost around 1.5m reportatedly what they told wolves in jan

think if evans go norwich need target man striker, dont know who out there but they need that sort player

also maclean may leave p''boro if they fail for promotion, he says he wants to stay but lets face it money talks.

left back i dont think you go know wrong than williams of scunthorpe, especially if they go down

paterson - also be available if they go down

centre backs - loan say mancienne of chelsea or hobbs of liverpool

personally those 5 or 6 would do the job

quality over quanity

Sadly we are looking like be in a similar position to last summer when Grant had a big rebuilding job to do.

We could need as many as 10 new players (more if some are better players move on). History tells you that maybe only half of all signings are successful, although hopefully Roeder will have a better strike rate than poor old Grant.

Personally, we could do with getting another 10 points asap and then giving the likes of Spillane, Martin, Cave-Brown, Eagle, Renton & Smart a few games to see if any of them can make the step up.

Without doubt, we''ll see a flux of new loanees arrive next season... but while i''m sure Manchester City will bend over backwards to offer us pretty much most of their youngsters I hope Arsenal don''t snub us following the unsuccessful Gibbs loan... it''s crucial that Gibbs ends on a high with us. We need to back the lad... it could open up opportunities next season and completely change our season.

if these loaness dont sign perm, then next year could be considered another re-building season for norwich where midtable is expected anything more is a bonus

with the mancity loans, if they were to sign another striker or that bulgarian chap bojilnov comes back fit then maybe sturridge could be a possibilty. maybe a bit long shot but if they keep having strikers a guy his quality wont want to stay in reserves as he getting impatient

Is there an attempt at humour here - or just gratutitous rudeness?   We obviously have a big re-building job to do but I don''t think this sort of comment contributes anything, except cynicism and an attempt to disparage people who will obviously do their very best.

[quote user="Michael Starr"]Without doubt, we''ll see a flux of new loanees arrive next season... but while i''m sure Manchester City will bend over backwards to offer us pretty much most of their youngsters I hope Arsenal don''t snub us following the unsuccessful Gibbs loan... it''s crucial that Gibbs ends on a high with us. We need to back the lad... it could open up opportunities next season and completely change our season.
[/quote]

Hope you are not trying to say that the Gibbs loan is unsuccessful already?  As you say give the lad a chance, its is first shot at first team football and Wenger rates him highly.

I think you will find some more Arsenal players here next season, Wenger and Roeder obviously have a common respect for each other and that is not going to change even if Gibbs fails to impress for the rest of this season.  Personally I wouldnt be surprised if Gibbs is here for the whole of next season too!

If they''re looking for a big centre forward, Sam Vokes of Bournemouth would fit the bill.  Only 18, the club are in administration, Crewe had a 200K bid accepted but turned down by the player, so wouldn''t cost much.  He also plays alongside Ched at under 21 level.  Know he''s young but the average age of that team (under 21s) is 18 years 2 months so he''s a bit of an old timer.  Then it would be a case of trying to prise Ched away from Man City at as cheap a price as you could get.

Velasco is only here on a short term deal.. 3 months.. its low risk for us and him.. if it works out we offer him a contract.. if it doesnt he goes back to being a free agent...

Camara will sign permanently...

as will Henry (mark my words.. Roeder Rates him!!!)

we need a Centerback, Left winger and 2 strikers...

jas :)

For next season with all the loaness going back etc, Norwich will need, A couple of full backs, a couple of centre backs, A central midfielder, a winger and 2 strikers, leaving something like this.

Marshall and Gilks

Otsemobor, Doherty, Shackell and Drury (add the full backs and centre halves)

Croft, Chadwick, Fotheringham, Russell, Pattison, Spillane,  Lappin (add the central midfielder and left winger)

Cureton and Martin

For the full backs i am guessing Camara could be signed permanantly, need cover for Otsemobor at RB. The centre halves are anyone''s guess, but Norwich will need 1 at least, if not 2. The right hand side should be covered with Croft and Chadwick, but Russell and Fotheringham will need cover other than Pattison and the Left hand side will only have Lappin, who isn''t good enough and will proably be sold, plus the fact that Bertrand is going back and it looks like Huckerby is leaving, it leaves this side bare. The only recognised strikers left will be Cureton and Martin, with Evans returining to Man City and Dublin retiring, will need at least 2 more.

In total i reckon Norwich will need another 6 or 7 players next season to make a promotion push, quality as well not just quantity.

[quote user="Delias Tasty Nibblets"]we8wba, you make the point about a big rebuilding job, but its the same job that Mcarthy made last year on a budget, it is possible,so forgive a little optimism, but I trust Roeders transfers and contacts.[/quote]

Indeed delias you do make valid point, my point was mainly next year will be re-building year again for norwich if this was the case, wolves had to do it and got somewhat fortunate in getting in playoffs after we was thinking more relegation battle

but then look at us this year. my main point is its silly for norwich fans to come out and say we have to do this next we have to get in playoffs etc... you will be very much in re-building process

[quote user="Boba Fett"]

Out of those i dont think Eagle, Lappin or either Jarvis will be with us....  Camara is still only a loan but imo is better the drury so would like to see him sign on and give depth in that position..

So we would need  to give us a smallish but workable squad....

2x Centre Halfs  (Taylor or Gabbidon and a young loan/prospect?)

2x centre Mid  (Lee Johnson/Commons/Bowyer/Doyle)

1x Winger  (Stelios/Bell??????)

2x Strikers  (Any of Ameobi/Eastwood/Carroll/Zamora/Evans/Sibierski/Porter/Mclean etc)

[/quote]

Gabbidon/Bowyer/Stelios/Ameobi/Zamora/Sibiersky
Your living in a dream world mate if you think Norwich can attract these sorts of players
What a joke

Correct Adam, as proved with the Ameobi fiasco earlier in the season, cos he was ever going to come to Norwich, same with Taylor and Zamora.