Sign in to follow this  
Carrow89

41 years ago today - 18th Feb

We beat Man Utd in the  FA cup. I''ve rummaged out the programme I bought (yep, I went to the game and am putting up a few pen pictures to test your City knowledge........ Born Gorleston. Capped for England youth as amatuer. Signed full time May 1963.45 league and cup games last season as right back

........Born Woking. Previous clubs Arsenal 1961-65. Signed for Norwich February 1965 at a club record fee for a winger. Former youth international.

......Born Glasgow. Joined Norwich in in January 1966 from Millwall. Previously with Man Utd and Corby. 14 appearances last season with 6 goals/

......Born Calcutta. Joined Norwich from Wrexham in July 1963. Previously with Aston Villa on loan to Stockport and Kidderminster. Signed for Norwich for a moderate fee.any ideas who they are ?

Blimey Ralph, you feeling alright? First post I''ve read from you that isn''t an anti Ipswich rant!

Anyway, after recharging the memory cells and some quick research I think the answers are:

Dave Stringer

Terry Anderson

Hugh Curran

Kevin Keelan

Good post anyway.  

I remember this too. And last season we went to Chelsea in the cup vitually 40 years to the day after that memorable victory. We dreamed of a repeat but those dreams don''t come true very often.

Do you remember our league position Ralph? I believe we were 4th from bottom, we''d only won one away game all season and the nancy negs were certain we''d be relegated! They hated the bored too.. remember the dreadful "zigger zagger chanting" aimed at our now saviour Geoffrey Watling?

I know that Kevin "The Cat" Keelan was born in Calcutta. I think I read somewhere that his mother was Indian ? Before the PC brigade jump on my back.......... no, it wouldn''t matter to me one jot what ethnic origins KK had and, for once, here is a player who IMO can truly be described as a Norwich legend.. but I am just curious to know, that''s all.  

" Before the PC brigade jump on my back.........."God, you can''t say or post anything without you cretins spouting off. As to the chanting at CR I well remember the zigger ziggar zigger being chanted as tanker, tanker tanker, Watling is a ............... Shows how little many fans know.plus ca change

[quote user="And hes the smallest man on the pitch"]I know that Kevin "The Cat" Keelan was born in Calcutta. I think I read somewhere that his mother was Indian ? Before the PC brigade jump on my back.......... no, it wouldn''t matter to me one jot what ethnic origins KK had and, for once, here is a player who IMO can truly be described as a Norwich legend.. but I am just curious to know, that''s all.  [/quote]

In his book ''Keelan... The Story Of A Goalkeeper'' by Philip Webster it states that Kevin Keelan was born in Calcutta. His father was ''Welsh-English'' and was a warrant officer in the British Army. His mother was Indian- Portuguese'' and came from a wealthy landowning family which had settled in India many years previously.

The great man is quoted "I do not remember a great deal about India but I know we were fairly well off. Our home had seven bedrooms and we had several servants. The dhobjwallahs would come round to collect the washing. Our meals would be served to us by the servants. I suppose we were part of the aristocracy."

It was after independence was granted to India that the Keelan family came to England when Kevin was just seven. It say''s in the book that they set sail from Bombay and it was a six-week voyage to Liverpool where they arrived with nowhere to go and not sure what to do. They were virtually refugees. They ended up in a hostel near Kidderminster.

And what a day that was at Old Trafford standing behind the goal at the Stretford End. A group of us fifth-formers as we were then called went from the CNS on the train and had a wonderful, almost unbelieveable, day out. At that time, without the blanket tv coverage we get today, to see the likes of Charlton, Best and Law in real, live action left us totally gob-smacked and City winning was the shock of the year, languishing as we were at the time towards the bottom of what is now called the Championship. The last few minutes with City leading 2-1 were the most nerve-racking of my life but Keelan was having one of those days when a cruise missile wouldn''t have got passed him (apart from one Denis Law piece of brilliance which did). I remember the train pulling into Thorpe Station at about midnight with the Sunday papers already on sale and NCFC plastered all over the front and back pages. One of those occasions when I can say ''I was there'' and I can still remember it as though it was yesterday.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="And hes the smallest man on the pitch"]I know that Kevin "The Cat" Keelan was born in Calcutta. I think I read somewhere that his mother was Indian ? Before the PC brigade jump on my back.......... no, it wouldn''t matter to me one jot what ethnic origins KK had and, for once, here is a player who IMO can truly be described as a Norwich legend.. but I am just curious to know, that''s all.  [/quote]

In his book ''Keelan... The Story Of A Goalkeeper'' by Philip Webster it states that Kevin Keelan was born in Calcutta. His father was ''Welsh-English'' and was a warrant officer in the British Army. His mother was Indian- Portuguese'' and came from a wealthy landowning family which had settled in India many years previously.

The great man is quoted "I do not remember a great deal about India but I know we were fairly well off. Our home had seven bedrooms and we had several servants. The dhobjwallahs would come round to collect the washing. Our meals would be served to us by the servants. I suppose we were part of the aristocracy."

It was after independence was granted to India that the Keelan family came to England when Kevin was just seven. It say''s in the book that they set sail from Bombay and it was a six-week voyage to Liverpool where they arrived with nowhere to go and not sure what to do. They were virtually refugees. They ended up in a hostel near Kidderminster.

[/quote]

Just read this because I have been away all day after posting my question. Thank you very much for this reply Nutty, I found it very very interesting. Thanks again for taking the trouble.

[quote user="Barry Brockes"]And what a day that was at Old Trafford standing behind the goal at the Stretford End. A group of us fifth-formers as we were then called went from the CNS on the train and had a wonderful, almost unbelieveable, day out. At that time, without the blanket tv coverage we get today, to see the likes of Charlton, Best and Law in real, live action left us totally gob-smacked and City winning was the shock of the year, languishing as we were at the time towards the bottom of what is now called the Championship. The last few minutes with City leading 2-1 were the most nerve-racking of my life but Keelan was having one of those days when a cruise missile wouldn''t have got passed him (apart from one Denis Law piece of brilliance which did). I remember the train pulling into Thorpe Station at about midnight with the Sunday papers already on sale and NCFC plastered all over the front and back pages. One of those occasions when I can say ''I was there'' and I can still remember it as though it was yesterday.[/quote]What a wonderful post - you really made me wish I''d been there - that''s exactly what football should be all about. Funny how the football world was actually better in some ways without TV. If we were drawn against ManU at OT now, we wouldn''t see Rooney and Ronaldo, except shivering in their scarves in the stand.

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]" Before the PC brigade jump on my back.........."

God, you can''t say or post anything without you cretins spouting off.

As to the chanting at CR I well remember the zigger ziggar zigger being chanted as tanker, tanker tanker, Watling is a ...............

Shows how little many fans know.

plus ca change
[/quote]

Just out of curiosity, who is this post aimed at? Can''t see that anyone has ''spouted off'', and I also think that this post shows that fans do know the answers to your quiz. Btw, I''m honestly not being facetious - I just don''t understand what you''re getting at. [*-)]  

This was one of my first Norwich games, and what a game! As you say so many stars on view. I was in awe, being 10 years old at the time.I remember the coverage on the TV about a Norwich fan whno had dyed his hair yellow and green.Am I right in thinking that Gordon Bolland scored  or has the memory gone.The headline the next day on the back of the Sunday  paper said  1000-1  Norwich  beat United.   Priceless!!!!!

Fell asleep on the bus back home. Didn''t really take in the full meaning of it all at the time. Very young lad who had only been taken on friday night as my uncle couldn''t make it. Do remember singing on the way up with beer crates stacked in the aisle in the bus.Would strongly agree with how TV has changed football. All the air of mystery and atmosphere has to be forced and hyped up.Working man''s game with working men''s values. Sadly long gone.

[quote user="Ralph Wright"]" Before the PC brigade jump on my back.........."

God, you can''t say or post anything without you cretins spouting off.

As to the chanting at CR I well remember the zigger ziggar zigger being chanted as tanker, tanker tanker, Watling is a ...............

Shows how little many fans know.

plus ca change
[/quote]

I seem to remember "zigger zigger zigger, Watling is a ******" 
And I remember, even as a child of tender years, thinking what a ridiculous chant it was.