Sign in to follow this  
Tookie140

Ratings for Barnsley game

Marshall   7   Made a couple of good saves, looked comfortable apart from hsi kicking. Not helped by back passes!

Semmy   7 Still worries me defensively, but overlapped well.

Bertrand     8   Looked composed, didnt put a foot wrong

Pearce    MOTM   9    Outstanding, Won every tackle, every header, good distrubution.

Doherty   7   Solid enough, but the odd clumsy moment is still there

Croft   6   Headless Chicken Syndrome. Runs, head down, into trouble, wastes good positions and cant shoot

Hucks   7/8   I thought he did really well. Was our only creative force. Without him we would have been doomed.

Gibbs   7   Steady, nothing spectacular. Neat and tidy

Pattison   6   Broke up play well but couldnt pass wind.

Cureton   7/8   Good goal, good link up play

Evans   7   Ran and ran, did well, but no huge impact.

Subs: Henry   Neat touches

Velascoc: One composed header!

Marshall 6.5 - poor distribution but kept tidily enough
Otsemobor 6.5 - one surging run 2nd half shows what he could do
Doc 6.5
Pearce 7.5 MoM
Bertrand 6.5 
Pattison 5 (8 for effort, 2 for passing)
Gibbs 6.5
Hucks 6.5 - good dead ball delivery but looked a shadow of his former self
Croft 6.5
Evans 6 - tidy but uninspiring
Cureton 7 - looked back towards his best, took his goal very nicely

Ref - 6/10

Barnsley fans - 8/10 - kept going throughout and were quite witty with it at times.  Shame the City fans had to resort to the rather lame "we shoot burglars" chant, not big or clever (or funny).

Marshall - 6- solid. Made a bad boo-boo in the first half and we were lucky not to conceed if it wasn''t for the mighty.....Ostemobor - 8 MOTM - Very good yesterday. Running, tackling, dangerous and attacking. Superb stuff. Made a clearence off the line and nothing came down his side.Doc - 5/6 - Made some elemantery errors and his distrobution was very suspect. Infact I thought it invited a lot of pressure onto us at times and I thought he stuggled in the air yesterday and gave barnsley quite a lot of cheap possession.Pearce - 7 - Good, not great though. Very composed looked soild and in control. His legs started to go towards the end, unfitness maybe. Good debutBetrand - 8 - He had a lot to deal with yesterday and coped fantastically. Got a caught in possession a few times but apart from that he did great, look confident going forward and got a cross or two in. I prefer him higher up the pitch but he does both roles very wellCrofty - 6 - Huffed and puffed without ever doing a great deal. Howard was very quick tracking back and slowed him down on breaks a lot.Pattison - 6- 9 for tackles and effort, -9 for passing - Says it all. He''s a wrecking ball and probably was the sole reason we didn''t let barnsley get too close to goal. Never stops running and had to cover for i''m-too-scared-to-tackle gibbs. His passing was holt-esque but I forgive him.Gibbs - 5 - All style no substance. No tackles, no 50/50''s, no running and tackling. Nothing. It''s like the incarnate of one mr. robinson the invisible man. he did some nice touches and passes but that was about it. If we didn''t have patty in the middle we would have been overrun, not saying that we wern''t, it just would have been worse.Hux - 7 Dangerous. Caused problems and made barnsley without ever doing a great deal. Looked very tired later on.Evans - 8 Superb perfromace. Great runs and movement and always sacred the barnsley defence.Cureton - 8 - You can knock him all you like but he got 1 chance and scored it. He ran his socks off and him and evans, if they had got more service would have scored more today.

Marshall 7 - 2 wonderful saves but decision making occasionally questionable. Caught in no mans land when cleared that one of the line.

Otsemobor 7 - Generally defended OK and one tremondous surging run.

Bertrand 7 - Slow start but got better as game went on. Please can we sign him permanently!

Doc 8 - Very very solid. Lost count of the number of headers he won. Distribution much better too.

Pearce 8 (mom) - Excellent debut. Defended well, composed and used the ball well.

Gibbs 7 - Solid. Got stuck and tried to pass the ball.

Pattison 6 - Never stopped but passing was dreadful.

Croft 7 - Lots of effort, set up the goal but needs a goal.

Hucks 7 - Decent set pieces and in the last 20 mins there were sone signs of vintage Hux.

Evans 7 - Worked hard, a couple of decent efforts but needs to relaise he has team mates!

Cureton 7 - Usual hard work and a brilliant finish. Why hasn''t he finished like that all year?

Henry 7 - Some nice touches.

Marshall 7- Looked soild, as always. Definatly one of PG''s better signings.

Otsemobor 6- Going forward looks very good, causes problems with his pace. Does not look secure when defending though, gives wingers too much space.

Bertrand 8- This guy could be very good for Chelsea. Had their winger in his back pocket.

Doherty 8- Gaining confidence with every game, won every header, and put his body on the line.

Pearce 9- Didn''t give his striker any room. Marking, tackling and heading were all spot on. Season long loan a possibility next year?

Croft 6- Not up to his recent good standards. Didn''t look up and spot the easy pass/cross. If he had a left foot he''d be a very dangerous player. Can''t fault his work-rate.

Huckerby 6/7- Doesn''t look fit, for some reason (it is February, not July!). Odd moments of flashbacks to 2004/05- probably didn''t do enough in this game to show he''s worth a new contract though, but there''s still time for him.

Pattison 5- Good tackling and work-rate, but his distribution was shocking. Our new Andy Hughes?

Gibbs 6- Condsidering it''s not his natural position, did ok. Didn''t really notice he was there though.

Cureton 7- Took his goal very well. Didn''t have the service to make a real impact though.

Evans 6- Worked very hard, won some good headers. Must pass the ball more!

Overall, a good effort, considering we had 3 key players out, however, t''s clear that Glenn will need to be busy this summer.

Marshall 7- didnt put a foot wrong

Otsemobor 7- great going forward, his positioning lets him down defensively

Doherty and Pearce 8- although not under a lot of pressure perforemd well

bertrand 9- this guy is destined to go to the top

croft 6- done very lttle

pattison6- great effort; the less said about the rest the better

gibbs 7- few good touches: looked a bit lost in the first half

huckerby5- little end product- his feet are slow and the final crosses were poor

cureton7- great finish

Evans9- was amaziing- he carried our whole attack and looked the senior professional

[quote user="HUDDY "]

Marshall   7   Made a couple of good saves, looked comfortable apart from hsi kicking. Not helped by back passes!

Semmy   7 Still worries me defensively, but overlapped well.

Bertrand     8   Looked composed, didnt put a foot wrong

Pearce    MOTM   9    Outstanding, Won every tackle, every header, good distrubution.

Doherty   7   Solid enough, but the odd clumsy moment is still there

Croft   6   Headless Chicken Syndrome. Runs, head down, into trouble, wastes good positions and cant shoot

Hucks   7/8   I thought he did really well. Was our only creative force. Without him we would have been doomed.

Gibbs   7   Steady, nothing spectacular. Neat and tidy

Pattison   6   Broke up play well but couldnt pass wind.

Cureton   7/8   Good goal, good link up play

Evans   7   Ran and ran, did well, but no huge impact.

Subs: Henry   Neat touches

Velascoc: One composed header!

[/quote]

You obviously saw the same match that I did Huddy. I would agree with all your markings and comments except that I felt Ched had a big impact and was a real handful for the Barnsley defence.

Most posters seem agreed that Bertrand and Pearce were outstanding and only Fellas seems to think both Doc and Gibbs had a mare.

So far everybody has agreed with me on gibbs. Except that the fact they obvious rate players who do nothing higher than I do. I don''t think anybody can say gibbs had a great game, or even an influencial game. Infact I never said anywhere that they had a "mare". Doherty had a good defensive game but I felt that he was partly responsible for letting barnsley to come on to us with his very poor heading and distrobution and clearences.

[quote user="Fellas"]So far everybody has agreed with me on gibbs. Except that the fact they obvious rate players who do nothing higher than I do. I don''t think anybody can say gibbs had a great game, or even an influencial game. Infact I never said anywhere that they had a "mare". Doherty had a good defensive game but I felt that he was partly responsible for letting barnsley to come on to us with his very poor heading and distrobution and clearences.
[/quote]

We all see different games and we all have personal ideas about each players quality.

In my opinion Gibbs had a fine game. He looked comfortable on the ball and was always neat and tidy in his passing. Obviously you don''t find him convincing enough yet. I would just ask you to look at the example of Ryan Bertrand. He looked nervous and a bit light weight in his first couple of outings but has grown into the part with each passing game. I firmly believe that Gibbs will show us a similar pattern in his development.

As for the Doc, some people are always looking for a reason to do him down. He is not the greatest passer of the ball but I thought he played several decent balls forward yesterday as well as being solid in defence.

If anyone had a mare then for me it was Pattison. Full of running and endeavour but the rest of his game was appalling. Also Crofty, another player who gets a lot of support on here for his running and endeavour. Yes he is quick but often his feet are going too fast for his brain. Yesterday we were treated to several examples where he tried to bamboozle a defender only to finish up tying himself in knots. In this respect he reminds me of Billy Punton. Perhaps Ray and some of the other old''uns would agree with me on this point.

We all have our different favourites and boogies Fellas, and in this repect I am no different to you.

Didn''t Doherty play a few superb lofted balls over the top out of defence yesterday - or were my eyes deceiving me?

[quote user="ricardo"]

[quote user="Fellas"]So far everybody has agreed with me on gibbs. Except that the fact they obvious rate players who do nothing higher than I do. I don''t think anybody can say gibbs had a great game, or even an influencial game. Infact I never said anywhere that they had a "mare". Doherty had a good defensive game but I felt that he was partly responsible for letting barnsley to come on to us with his very poor heading and distrobution and clearences.
[/quote]

We all see different games and we all have personal ideas about each players quality.

In my opinion Gibbs had a fine game. He looked comfortable on the ball and was always neat and tidy in his passing. Obviously you don''t find him convincing enough yet. I would just ask you to look at the example of Ryan Bertrand. He looked nervous and a bit light weight in his first couple of outings but has grown into the part with each passing game. I firmly believe that Gibbs will show us a similar pattern in his development.

As for the Doc, some people are always looking for a reason to do him down. He is not the greatest passer of the ball but I thought he played several decent balls forward yesterday as well as being solid in defence.

If anyone had a mare then for me it was Pattison. Full of running and endeavour but the rest of his game was appalling. Also Crofty, another player who gets a lot of support on here for his running and endeavour. Yes he is quick but often his feet are going too fast for his brain. Yesterday we were treated to several examples where he tried to bamboozle a defender only to finish up tying himself in knots. In this respect he reminds me of Billy Punton. Perhaps Ray and some of the other old''uns would agree with me on this point.

We all have our different favourites and boogies Fellas, and in this repect I am no different to you.

[/quote]

Cant agree with you about Billy Punton, Ricardo. Crofty doesn''t fall flat on his ''arris every time he kicks the ball. Billy was a better crosser though, and scored a lot more goals.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

Barnsley fans - 8/10 - kept going throughout and were quite witty with it at times.  Shame the City fans had to resort to the rather lame "we shoot burglars" chant, not big or clever (or funny). [/quote]

Doesn''t anyone else find it funny to hear the away fans singing "who are you?!!" - I always find that funny especially when they have travelled so far to watch the game - you would hope that they have turned up to the right game anyway![:P]

Marshall - 7 - Looked steady and made an important save late on. May owe Semmy one after his goal-line clearance in the first half.

Ostemobor - 7 - Looked particularly good going forward, links well with Croft. Could still improve defensively

Bertrand - 7 - Really solid performance, coped with all that came his way.

Pearce - 8 -  Superb, especially considering this was his first league start. Strong in the tackle, good distribution of the ball. Never once looked uncomfortable.

Doc - 7 - Defensively strong, and even provided a couple of the game best passes. Although typically provided a couple of dodgy one''s too. Wasn''t helped by Pattison''s distribution.

Croft - 6 - Full of running (think his 40-50 yard run late on to tackle their left winger shows how far he''s come!) little end product today though.

Gibbs - 7 - Good in possession both on the floor and in the air. Massive improvement on last outing.

Pattison - 5 - Hustled, harried and slogged it out to win the balll, but would so often lose it cheaply afterwards.

Huckerby -  7 - Looked dangerous and definitely worth his place. Will only improve with more games.

Cureton - 7 - Great finish for the goal but both he and Evans lacked decent service.

Evans - 7 - Ran hard at the Barnsley defence, often putting them under pressure. Can''t be faulted for effort but nothing broke for him today. 

Do you all honestly think that Ostemobor is a quality player, Roeder can''t see it, I can''t see it, how can u see it!

Can''t defend. Doesn''t understand how to defend. For how quick he is hes lazy, very rarely do you see him use his pace defensively and if anyone says he used his pace to produce a goal line clearence, whos mistake was it in the first place to set the player free and not be offside? In a world of his own!

Next game I would give Velasco a go, hes obviously got quality which we lack at that position. Otherwise not a bad performance.

Marshall - 7 - Kept us in the game early on                                                                                            Ostemobor - 6 - More effort required, provides good attacking support but need more oftern                       Pearce - 8- Exceptional for a debut, plays like a 30 year old, Cool Head                                                            Doc - 7- Solid                                                                                                                                       Bertrand - 8- A real class act, has great potential. Strong for his size.                                                          Croft -6- Not the best game, but will have a stormer against Blackpool.                                                      Pattison -6- Effort and tackling was exceptional, if he can sort his passing out would be a class act              Gibbs - 7- Improved as the game went on, more games under his belt and he can be a useful asset               Hucks - 7- A good first half, im sure hes not fit but a run of games will help and then we can see if Hucks still has the quality to earn a contract next year                                                                                                Evans-7- A lot of effort, never wastes a ball when at his feet, however could of passed it a couple of time in the final 3rd rather than running himself.                                                                                                      Cureton -7- Purely for the goal, excellent finsh otherwise really non-existent

[quote user="Words of Wisdom"]

Do you all honestly think that Ostemobor is a quality player, Roeder can''t see it, I can''t see it, how can u see it!

Can''t defend. Doesn''t understand how to defend. For how quick he is hes lazy, very rarely do you see him use his pace defensively and if anyone says he used his pace to produce a goal line clearence, whos mistake was it in the first place to set the player free and not be offside? In a world of his own!

[/quote]

What the hell are you smoking mate? Can''t defend? Oh so i see howard, one of the best players in this league, one of the best left footers in this league and barnsley''s best player ravaged him all game and had loads of shots and scored.... Sigh.

I believe the mistake you are referring to was doherty playing him onside mate. If you actually were at the game or even watched the highlights it''s pretty clear. Sounds as though you just don''t like him and are going to slate him no matter how well he plays.