Sign in to follow this  
The Voice of the Thorpe Area

Doc's staying. Discuss

Good news on the home page of the pinkun, lloks like Doc is ready to sign a new contract.

I know he causes alot of discussion, espacially on Canary Call, but for me, he has been a solid performer all season long, yes, makes the odd mistake, but to buy a defender who doesn''t would cost £5m plus.

All we need now is Fozzy to sign up, and next season is looking better with every day!

Warranted and needed- he is a lot better than he is given credit for- and the record of goals leaked when he is in compared to out speaks for itself. Of course he is not blessed with beauty which I suspect lies at the heart of why he gets the stick he does. Which is sad and pathetic.

Very happy with this.

He is a good character - proven by welcoming competition whilst still being our most solid performer this season.

Good job Glen to get this man tied down and to the Doc - keep up the good work!

On recent form you can''t argue with it I suppose although if this means we dont bring in another CB in the next window I will be disappointed.

For me though, Fotheringham is more important as he is the ''engine room'' of the team and a good championship midfielder. There is an incredible amount of rebuilding to be done in the Summer although I trust Roeder more than Grant.

A bit sad reading this...

McLeish pays Taylor tribute

Alex McLeish has lavished praise on defender Martin Taylor for his recent performances for Birmingham.

However, he earned a recall for the game against Derby and has since been a permanent fixture at the back alongside Liam Ridgewell.

Having missed out on signing Gary Cahill in the January transfer window, McLeish has been delighted with the form of Taylor and has also paid tribute to his hard-working attitude.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11694_3174312,00.html

Whilst I have never been a big Doc fan he has definately improved under GR & Co''s guidance.  He always gives 100%, is passionate about NC, and ok so he makes the odd mistake, but he is twice the player he was under Granty.

Based on form this season hard to quibble with this.  Sure the guy sometimes makes a mistake and these have proved costly on occasion, however he is the unwarranted subject of abuse in my view.  Gives his all whenever I have seen him play and although he is certainly not a Prem quality defender he is good enough at this level.  I would like to see some competition for him and Shacks at the back but our recent defensive record (Leicester aside) suggests that this is less a problem area than some would have us believe at the moment.

I like Docs when he plays well and not so much when he doesn''t. Same as any other Norwich player.

But from now on Im not going to lay blame on individual performances. I am going to blame the team tactics. Apparently a player can have a bad game and it wont be his fault. Gibbs anyone? [:D]

Docs has done more than enough for me this season to warrant a new contract.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

A bit sad reading this...

McLeish pays Taylor tribute

Alex McLeish has lavished praise on defender Martin Taylor for his recent performances for Birmingham.

However, he earned a recall for the game against Derby and has since been a permanent fixture at the back alongside Liam Ridgewell.

Having missed out on signing Gary Cahill in the January transfer window, McLeish has been delighted with the form of Taylor and has also paid tribute to his hard-working attitude.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11694_3174312,00.html

[/quote]I agree, we all know he would have been a quality addition to the squad and a real step in the right direction. I''m not one of these constant board bashers but this transfer issue does annoy me greatly. I have no idea why we didn''t stump up at the beginning, considering it became evident that 1 mill was there to spend. We wanted him, he wanted to come here and Birmingham wanted rid and we still managed to mess it up. It''s worrying that this isn''t the first time, our lot sitting around for 2 months being ''clever'' while the other party gets over it and moves on. I''m really hoping more ruthlessness and intent is shown during the summer window, pipe dream or not!As for Doc, excellent news. He is our best central defender without doubt and we will need him for next season. Shackell is still growing and improving and has been much better since roeder came in but it''s insane that that''s all we''ve got. Playing dublin there is a get out of jail card and really shouldn''t be plan B!A good league finish (no not play offs...) should help us out come summer, that''s all i hope for now.

Contract renewal is a cheaper and easier solution than buying a new player, who might not fit in with the team.

Mind you (ouch!!!), the Doc has done okay in recent weeks. He still a long way to overcome fans perceptions from his "initial settling in" period........of 3 years mind you....[;)]

Doc''s a limited player technically but in general he fulfils the primary element of his job which is to defend. He gets his foot in when he has to and doesn''t attempt to over-elaborate, which is good thing for him really! We all know he''s a bit clumsy and does appear to be ''on edge'' during a game as if he''s primed to make a mistake but he hasn''t made many since Roeder''s arrival and his partnership with Shacks is improving. He''s looked solid of late.

Would like to see him make more of a nuisance of himself in the opposition box and bag 4-5 goals a season though!   

I''d renew his contract. Even if we sign another CB he''d make decent cover.

To celebrate I think Doc should then do the dignified thing and shave his damn head! Go bald gracefully fella!!   

[quote user="Stone"]

To celebrate I think Doc should then do the dignified thing and shave his damn head! Go bald gracefully

fella!!   [/quote]

Here here

Does anybody else think that Doc looks about 45 years old even though he is 28? Isnt there a name for this? Dean Ashton looks about 45 too and he is only 24! Is it the stress or playing for our club that speeds up the age process?

[quote user="1st Wizard"]Sometimes I envy the Lemmings!.[:''(][/quote]

Sometimes it easy to use a scapegoat to make your point as well Wiz.

How many times have you actually watched the Doc live. How many time have you seen the good things he does rather than hear about the bad.

He isn''t the best centre back in the world he isn''t the coolest on the ball and he doesn''t always have the best distribution.

He is however the best centre back at this club. He is one of the best tacklers at the club and he is one of the hardest working and committed at the club.

We need a hat full of player I count our blessing that we only need one new centre back to replace Shackell.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="Stone"]

To celebrate I think Doc should then do the dignified thing and shave his damn head! Go bald gracefully

fella!!   [/quote]

Here here

Does anybody else think that Doc looks about 45 years old even though he is 28? Isnt there a name for this? Dean Ashton looks about 45 too and he is only 24! Is it the stress or playing for our club that speeds up the age process?

[/quote]

Nah, just look at Paul McVeigh!

Anyone noticed how Ashton bleaches his hair so that it hides his bald patch. When the dye grows out you can really see it against his natural dark colour. Funny as - the lengths these guys go to in denial!

Just realised I sound like I have an unhealthy obsession with balding footballers! Er, guess I''m just observant!

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]

How many times have you actually watched the Doc live. How many time have you seen the good things he does rather than hear about the bad.

[/quote]

Lost count of how many times Hardhouse, although seeing him once was enough for me!.[:|]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Hardhouse44"]

[/quote]

Lost count of how many times Hardhouse, although seeing him once was enough for me!.[:|]

[/quote]

Ok Wiz. How do you rate him compared to Shackell?

[quote user="Hardhouse44"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Hardhouse44"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ok Wiz. How do you rate him compared to Shackell?

[/quote]

To be totally honest here Hardhouse, I rate him higher then Shacks, although Shacks looked better with Taylor alongside him.

Yes, I know your next question, but the Doc injured Svenny badly in a premier league game and I haven''t forgiven him for it yet.

[quote user="The voice of the Thorpe Area"]

I know he causes alot of discussion, espacially on Canary Call, but for me, he has been a solid performer all season long, yes, makes the odd mistake, but to buy a defender who doesn''t would cost £5m plus.

[/quote]

You can''t buy a defender who doesn''t make mistakes, for any price! How much did Ferdinand cost Utd???

I''m glad we have Doc, a good honest hard working footballer who loves the club and gives the team some backbone.

And will people stop going on about TINY !!  Which part of HE WASN''T FOR SALE don''t you understand !!

Good!

Forget all the unwarranted scapegoat crap that many people go on about Doc (and Shacks for that matter), hes a solid defender and it would take a lot of money to replace him!

Some people seem to think that a defender should never give it a big lump, never gets stretched, or that players in general are robots and never make mistkes. Well in the real world a defenders first job is to defend and sometimes that requires the big lump. I''ve also thought its a good measure of a defender if he is able to do a good job when stretched. Also if you watch any top class game the players make mistakes. 

Obviously Taylor was the best centreback at the club when he was with us and probably would be if he does eventually rejoin but he made mistakes and people ignored them while if Doc does something the ''scapegoaters'' soon start ''crowing''! 

[quote user="djc"]

Contract renewal is a cheaper and easier solution than buying a new player, who might not fit in with the team.

Mind you (ouch!!!), the Doc has done okay in recent weeks. He still a long way to overcome fans perceptions from his "initial settling in" period........of 3 years mind you....[;)]

[/quote]Actually I think you''ll find that 3 year settling in period includes the year he won ''Player of the Season''.Not too bad for someone struggling to overcome the fans perceptions.

Do you think that Doc could become more of a utility player?...make more use of  him in forward position next season in the way that Dion has performed this year.  Of course he''d have to learn how to direct those headed balls that he so often sends well wide or over the bar when he comes up for corners,

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="The voice of the Thorpe Area"]

[/quote]

You can''t buy a defender who doesn''t make mistakes, for any price! How much did Ferdinand cost Utd???

I''m glad we have Doc, a good honest hard working footballer who loves the club and gives the team some backbone.

And will people stop going on about TINY !!  Which part of HE WASN''T FOR SALE don''t you understand !!

[/quote]

Intelligent post.

The year Doherty won player of the year, what was our goal difference?

Also, ever since he''s been at Norwich, has ANYBODY else shown the slightest interest in him?  Are there any clubs that would put up money to get him?  Enough for the board to accept without looking too foolish for dropping what I believe was a million on him when he was brought in?

I don''t doubt that he has heart and wants to help, but his mistakes are too costly. This is not basketball, where a goal conceded counts for 2% of the opponent''s total.  

Why do Norwich fans always rally around scrubs and turn their noses up at bona fide players at the drop of a hat?  Doherty (hey, I just realized you can type in most of his name with 4 letters in a row on the keyboard!) is an overrated scrub. No doubt he wants to stay because he knows if he leaves he will only continue playing at a lower division club.

My wife is an animal rights activist, so she sent me all over town trying to find a flea shampoo for the dogs that had not been tested on animals. HA HA!

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

The year Doherty won player of the year, what was our goal difference?

[/quote]

That''s a meaningless comparison... there are typically 4 defenders in a side (under Worthy, there were about 7).  PotS doesn''t get handed out on the basis of goal difference alone.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

Why do Norwich fans always rally around scrubs and turn their noses up at bona fide players at the drop of a hat?  Doherty (hey, I just realized you can type in most of his name with 4 letters in a row on the keyboard!) is an overrated scrub. No doubt he wants to stay because he knows if he leaves he will only continue playing at a lower division club.

[/quote]

No, I don''t want no scrubs. 

Doc''s not a scrub!  And who exactly do we turn our noses up at?  What a silly statement.