Sign in to follow this  
alex_ncfc

Bryan Gunn's testimonial

Yeah i know this seems a bit random, being it was 8 years ago, but I was reading an old program which mentioned that the match was coming up, Vs Manchester Utd, and I remember that I went to the game. It got me thinking, and this is the best place to ask, who was playing that night for both teams, because although I went, I didn''t get a program, and the only thing I can remember is Carrow Road was completely packed and that ''we'' lost 3-0. I''m just curious if anybody knows the teamsheets?

Hey Alex. I went to Gunny''s testimonial too. I do have the programme but it''s at home and I''m at uni. I can remember Mulryne playing for United before he came to Norwich. I can also remember we got stuffed. That''s about it!!

I was there too, in the snakepit (I think). I have the programme somewhere, but I can''t find it anywhere! I''ll keep looking..

What I do remember is that Cantona was immense for Man Utd, but they didn''t want to score against Gunny, so he was backheeling it from six yards out instead of shooting, etc.

Then Gunny went off with ten minutes left to a huge ovation, and on came Flapper Marshall. In the next ten minutes he conceded three!

OTBC

If you people can wait a week I will be back home where I have my much treasured Bryan Gunn testamonial programm.

I do know that Steve Bruce was playing and got cheered nearly as much as one of our players. I think Cantona made the trip also.

Anyway, should have the full list for you by next tuesday if that helps any!

Why wait a week when you have me!

Here you go:

Norwich City: Gunn (Barber, 61), Newman (Scott, 56), Wright, Sutch, Bradshaw, Crook (Wilson, 79), Adams (Simpson, 45), Fleck (Akinbiyi, 56), Milligan (Llewellyn, 45), Goss (Hilton, 56).

Manchester United XI: van der Gouw, Clegg, Curtis, Bruce (Wallwork, 56), Casper, Appleton (Mulryne, 79), Cantona, Cooke, McClair, Scholes, Thornley (Notman, 69).

Score: Norwich 0, Manchester United XI 3 (Cooke 63, Scholes 64, Thornley 67)

Attendance: 21,077.

Paul Barber a blast from the past, think iam right in saying he only played a couple of games for the first team. He was not my fave player as he was not that good a keeper (which is a nice way of putting it)

Remember the night well as i sat 3 seats away from the tunnel great views of players managers remember cantona doing a few tricks in front of barclay that amazed me

Damn you Peter!

I was conviced it was Marshall that came on for Gunn. That''s ruined it for me!

Well at least I was right about Gunny keeping a clean sheet, and the sub keeper conceding three in the ten minutes after he came on...

OTBC

Looking at that Norwich team on the night I don''t think that a single one of those would get in the current team. Maybe in thier prime Gunn, Fleck and Goss would stand a chance but it would still be touch and go.

Crook would be the first name on today''s current teamsheet. Him and Holt in the middle would be awesome.

Crook would be the first name on any Norwich teamsheet since I''ve been watching us, if you ask me.

The guy was a legend, and probably would have played for England if Spurs didn''t have Hoddle at the time. In fact, I''m glad that they did, or he would never have come here in the first place!

OTBC

I was a season ticket holder from the start of Mike Walker''s second spell for four years so he was possibly past his best. During this time he was just the master of the backwards or sideways pass. I would probably stick with the current.

Ian Crook and Gary Holt in midfield, OH!!! It''s too good! Hopefully I will see this combination if I am still alive! It was superb combination for sure!