Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

This is ambition Mr Doncaster!. (Ipswich after Nugent)

I think its more about setting realistic goals at this stage of the season Wiz.

If we were pushing for playoffs like the scum, then I would love us to make a move like this. But where we are now, I would see such a move as a waste of money considering we would have to pay premiership wages for the rest of the season. End result would be spending more money to and up in the same league next year as we would have had we not spent the money.

Put the clubs position into some perspective before using the "A-word".

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_3172864,00.html

Ipswich boss Jim Magilton has confirmed he has approached Portsmouth about a three-month loan deal for out-of-favour striker David Nugent.

The 22-year-old scored Pompey''s winner against Ipswich in the FA Cup third round in January but has started only seven games since a £6million summer move from Preston.

Nugent, who scored on his only England appearance to date, is currently recovering from hernia surgery.

"Nugent is a possibility," Magilton told the Ipswich Evening Star. "We have asked Portsmouth about taking him on loan and they have not ruled it out.

"We are well aware if he did come he is not at 100% but he is making massive strides to get fit so we will wait and see what happens.

"He loves Portman Road and he loves scoring goals here so it would be good to have him in a Blues shirt."

As much as it hurts I think we have to face up to the possiblilty that Ipswich have done well to get an investor who has got millions to spare is prepared to back Jim especially when he wants to get a player in.

Also you have to admire them for the way they have made some shrewd purchases

Macedonian midfielder Velice Sumulikoski, 26 cost them £600k in Jan and is being touted to be a talented midfield worthy of the Premier in the next year or so -

Alan Quinn -midfielder cost £500k in Jan - Ipswich fans say he''s a real find and one of the best midfielders they have purchased for years

Owen Garvan - home grown talented 20 yr old midfielder who has been their star up to the arrivals of their new midfielders

Jonathan Walters - right midfielder/striker -  25 cost hardly anything from Chester - probably their player of the season so far.

So why they are getting tough talented midfielders in for £500k we''ve got Gibbs, Henry and Pattison.

I still think that Roeder has done a great job so far but no-one can deny that them up the road have done a fine job too this year and have got themselves into a good position for a play off challenge without spending much cash up to January.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Id sooner have booby Zamora than a 1 season wonder in Nugent

jas :)

[/quote]

not sure on booby zamora dont know who he plays for

but nugent hardly one hit wonder in this league is he mate

he been doing it for past 4 seasons

[quote user="we8wba"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Haha! what a typo.

I assume that is the David Nugent that Redknapp said wouldn''t be sent out on loan, and himself said he wanted to stay and fight for his place at Pompey for the rest of the season rather than going out on loan?

Is that not just BLIND ambition?  Am sure we can target plenty of players who we have no hope of getting.

Btw absolutely blinding typo Jas!

[quote user="we8wba"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry but i don''t rate Nugent either. Very over rated in my opinion. Give me Zamora anyday!

Oh right!

One point from the last six and we are comparing ourseleves in a bad light with piswich. Get real, we changed our manager during this season and they didn''t. Their season has been continuous and ours hasn''t. Since we drew with them in Roeders first game it''s :-

Norwich P19 W9 D6 L4 F23 A21 Pts33 +2

Piswich  P20 W8 D5 L7 F27 A22 Pts29 +5

Roeder has obviously out performed Magilton over that time and our players have out performed theirs. And what''s Pattison suddenly done wrong apart from occasionally being played on the left where......

Why do you lot do this to yourselves?

Proof of their ambition will be whether the Binners get him. It''s very easy as a piece of PR to say you''re looking at someone good (seem to recall we''ve been spun that line a few times), only for nothing to come of it. So unless he actually goes there I think there''s a fair chance that is just something to give the impression that the Binners are being ambitious...

Would be a good signing for them though, if it happened. Fingers crossed it doesn''t...

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Oh right!

One point from the last six and we are comparing ourseleves in a bad light with piswich. Get real, we changed our manager during this season and they didn''t. Their season has been continuous and ours hasn''t. Since we drew with them in Roeders first game it''s :-

Roeder has obviously out performed Magilton over that time and our players have out performed theirs. And what''s Pattison suddenly done wrong apart from occasionally being played on the left where......

Why do you lot do this to yourselves?

[/quote]

I defiantly understand your point of view nutty

but

1. ipswich got more money

2. ipswich higher in the league

3. chance promotion

4. ipswich shows more ambition in the current market - signings i.e norris compared to loanees

so any player got choice between the two would go to ipswich 8/10 times i would say

(before someone says yes wba same to wolves)

as to nugent the guy is quality at this standard, you lot wouldnt moan if he linked to norwich as one poster said

Yep, he''s going to play up front with Jeffers.Thankfully these ambitious folk also managed to hang on to their keeper in January as well signing their former keeper the former poorman rd hero Plug in the summer. No loanees at poorman rd is there wiz ?

Roeder may have done well but I''d much rather be in their shoes than ours, they are looking good bets for at least a play off place and even if they fail this year they will have more money to spend in the summer so will be a good bet to go up next year. We will somehow need to sign 10 players in the summer, if Auntie Delia is still in charge then it is difficult to see where the money is going to come from and it is most likely we will go into next season with a very small squad because we don''t have the money to buy enough players. I''m desperately hoping a new investor arrives in the summer to at least give us a chance of building a squad capable of challenging next season.

[quote user="kdncfc"]

Roeder may have done well but I''d much rather be in their shoes than ours, they are looking good bets for at least a play off place and even if they fail this year they will have more money to spend in the summer so will be a good bet to go up next year. We will somehow need to sign 10 players in the summer, if Auntie Delia is still in charge then it is difficult to see where the money is going to come from and it is most likely we will go into next season with a very small squad because we don''t have the money to buy enough players. I''m desperately hoping a new investor arrives in the summer to at least give us a chance of building a squad capable of challenging next season.

[/quote]

good, honest and realistic post, good to see a person with some sense

i think next year if you have to purchase 10 or so players midtable safety would be great news

as to ipswich, as much you guys hate to hear this, they are certainly heading in the right direction

[quote user="kdncfc"]

[/quote]

Well, it''s entirely possible we would have been in "their shoes" as you put it if Roeder had been here all season. What is the attraction with them? Wouldn''t you rather be in Stokes shoes, or Watfords or Bristol City''s or West Broms or Charltons? Some of you have a morbid fascination with that lot from down the road. I would never rather be in their shoes. And, as for having money to spend, they still have to spend it wisely.

[quote user="we8wba"]

i think next year if you have to purchase 10 or so players midtable safety would be great news

as to ipswich, as much you guys hate to hear this, they are certainly heading in the right direction

[/quote]

You''re such a wind-up merchant. Even if you''re right, there''s no other reason for a fan of another club to post this on our message board!

Please, go back to the Wolves boards and worry about your own matters rather than patronising us with your West Midlands ''wisdom''...

[quote user="we8wba"]

[/quote]

If you don''t purposely come on here to wind up City fans then you certainly do a very good impression of someone who does.

So which is it we8 m8? Are you Rory Bremner[Z][~]...... or a troll? [:^)]

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_3172893,00.html

And yes, I am hacked off, like being in big debt hurt them!.[8o|]

[/quote]Hmm..ambition indeed. The difference is their current position compared to ours. Welcome to blame it on the board, the old manager or whoever wiz =]But unfortunately thats the situation and hold your breath for next season. I''m not expecting magic, but hopefully we''ll see a few signings we can ALL be happy with =]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]Holding the scum up as role models now wiz. Now that really is plumbing the depths !!   [:''(]

[/quote]

It sure is, and Im a little suprised to be fair, tut tut Wiz lol [:O]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]Holding the scum up as role models now wiz. Now that really is plumbing the depths !!   [:''(]

[/quote]Taking the yellow and green tinted glasses off more like, I hate Ipshite as much as any other Norwich fan but there''s no denying that they have done well this season and whether we like it or not we are in danger of being left behind them without new money coming into the club and that hurts like hell. I speak as a fan of 37 years who wants the best for my football team, we are halfway there with a decent manager who will get us at least to the play offs next year if he''s backed with some hard cash, sadly I fear that our board will again fail dismally to provide the necessary cash unless something changes.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[/quote]

Their big debt is still there mate, even a lot of Ipswich fans are not totally convinced with him and too be honest, I would not want him but I would have his money. I will wait for the big fall from them, but in the mean time, I feel they will go up either this year or next. Dam.

[quote user="Norfolk&Chance"]

I think its more about setting realistic goals at this stage of the season Wiz.

If we were pushing for playoffs like the scum, then I would love us to make a move like this. But where we are now, I would see such a move as a waste of money considering we would have to pay premiership wages for the rest of the season. End result would be spending more money to and up in the same league next year as we would have had we not spent the money.

Put the clubs position into some perspective before using the "A-word".

[/quote user="Norfolk&Chance"]

If we had pushed the boat out in Jan and actually signed someone other than a bunch of teenage loanees then going for Nugent would be more viable as we may still have been within 3 or 4 points of the play offs. Personally I don''t give a f... who they sign down the road. It is what we do that really matters to me. Like it or not we are probably a years or so behind them in building a team. Lets finish this season strongly and then kick on next year.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="kdncfc"]

[/quote]

Well, it''s entirely possible we would have been in "their shoes" as you put it if Roeder had been here all season. What is the attraction with them? Wouldn''t you rather be in Stokes shoes, or Watfords or Bristol City''s or West Broms or Charltons? Some of you have a morbid fascination with that lot from down the road. I would never rather be in their shoes. And, as for having money to spend, they still have to spend it wisely.

[/quote]

I second you fully on this NN!!

" as to ipswich, as much you guys hate to hear this, they are certainly heading in the right direction"yep the £30 odd million debt still there, in fact now back accruing interest, yet more debts to various banks unpaid£8m borrowed to meet annual losses on the wage bill, this means another £600k repayments to find every yearshareholders stuffed, as were local traders and a charity previouslyand finally, the club handed over for a little less than they paid for the terminally useless Finito Georgepoor old paupers

[quote user="kdncfc"]

Taking the yellow and green tinted glasses off more like, I hate Ipshite as much as any other Norwich fan but there''s no denying that they have done well this season and whether we like it or not we are in danger of being left behind them without new money coming into the club and that hurts like hell. I speak as a fan of 37 years who wants the best for my football team, we are halfway there with a decent manager who will get us at least to the play offs next year if he''s backed with some hard cash, sadly I fear that our board will again fail dismally to provide the necessary cash unless something changes.[/quote]

I wasn''t wearing the yellow and green tinted glasses when I pointed out that Norwich have out performed piswich since the derby in November.

What tinted glasses show us in danger of being left behind them? I admit to having the thickest pair of green and yellow tinted welding goggles ever made [8-|] but they don''t distort these facts.

Ipswich are seeing Nugent as possibly the difference between a play off place and automatic promotion.

We could get him in and, realistically, see him as the difference between perhaps 8th or 9th place or 12th or 13th place.

Not worth it for us, worth the gamble for them.

Problem is, with all the loanees clearing off in the Summer, and Roeder needing, as he says, 6+ players, people are then going to expect a promotion push on what might be a totally different team-possible yes, probable no.

The "spine" of his team will be Marshall-Doc-Foz-?   -everyone else looking over their shoulders a little bit more?

I don''t hate Ipswich, my feelings towards them are largely of irrelevance, but they have, in general, always had a pretty decent record in the transfer market (and all clubs have their terrible signings) and they have certainly had an Academy system that works for them. Would that ours could.

But the thing is they have been awesome since spending over £3 Million on there 3 new midfield players, who I''m afraid to say look very good indeed!