Sign in to follow this  
Infamy, Infamy

Roeder has sussed the Pinkun message board!

Quote from EDP24:

Roeder was quick to hit back at those who criticised Gibbs for his performance against Hull.

One or two people might have been critical, but then one or two people don''t understand football, they are clueless, to judge an

18-year-old on one game, 60 minutes
,” he said. “To say he looked out of his depth, whatever, whatever - how disgraceful''s that?

“And today has proved all those doubters wrong. He had a wonderful game for an 18-year-old in centre midfield. He got better and he got more confident the longer the game went on and you can see why Arsene (Wenger) values him so highly.”

Couldn''t have put it any better than that![:P]

What a load of tosh...  People were giving him a mark out of 10 for his performance, which on the day was poor, and he did look out of his depth (on the day during those 60 minutes)....  In fact he was so poor Roeder dropped him to the bench for the next match [:S].

I was hoping for better things Saturday and he certainly delivered a much improved performance.

He''s proved nobody wrong. I''m sorry but he''s no better than a carl robinson, the super invisible-man in the middle. I call players how I see them, I''m not ashamed to admit I''m wrong and not afraid to call a cr@p player cr@p. So far gibbs has been poor at best. If he plays against blackpool not only will I seriously be annoyed but I''ll be very dissapointed.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Roeder needs to remember the fans pay his wages....

jas :)

[/quote]

I just think his remarks are a tad foolish.  I mean, you read what was written on here about Gibbs and for the most part people reckoned he had a mare - most putting it down to it being his first game, he averaged 4.15/10 on the match ratings thread.  In fact he did so poorly in that game that Roeder dropped him for a right winger out of position on the left in the following match.

[/quote]

Just because you ''contribute'' towards his wages doesn''t mean you know what you are talking about[:D]

[/quote]

Perhaps he was just lifting a young kid who may have been a bit down after the criticism of him after one game? Knowing your manager will defend you to the hilt must be a confidence boost.

[quote user="Fellas"]He''s proved nobody wrong. I''m sorry but he''s no better than a carl robinson, the super invisible-man in the middle. I call players how I see them, I''m not ashamed to admit I''m wrong and not afraid to call a cr@p player cr@p. So far gibbs has been poor at best. If he plays against blackpool not only will I seriously be annoyed but I''ll be very dissapointed.
[/quote]

At last somebody speaking some sense and saying it as they see it, like I did rather than believe all the tosh being wtitten abour Gibbs!

He was dreadful Saturday, no tackling, no energy, Pattison working overtime to cover for him yet if you read the EDP today he gets 7/10, the same marks as Docherty who was superb and our best player. That in itself is ludicrous, Gibbs was at best 4 or 5 out of 10!

People not at the game and just reading the match reports in the EDP are being so mislead!

I''ve got the utmost respect for what Roeder has done for the club but obviously part of the deal in getting these loan players was that he has to play them and hes trying to cover this up and people have fell for it!

Shacks was very unlucky to get dropped cause he hasn''t done anything wrong but thankgod Pearce done well!

Most fans are only turning a bling eye to how poor Gibbs has been cause hes from Arsenal. If we''d of got him from another Championship club or a lower Division then people would be saying it as it is!

As I said before just saying it as it is!

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

I just think his remarks are a tad foolish.  I mean, you read what was written on here about Gibbs and for the most part people reckoned he had a mare - most putting it down to it being his first game, he averaged 4.15/10 on the match ratings thread.  In fact he did so poorly in that game that Roeder dropped him for a right winger out of position on the left in the following match.

[/quote]

But GR says it shows a lack of football nous to judge any young player on his first 60 minutes of championship football. Some of the comments on here were ridiculous. Surely you can''t argue with that. It seemed to me the I hate Donkerty brigade were about to find a new victim.

[quote user="Fellas"]He''s proved nobody wrong. I''m sorry but he''s no better than a carl robinson, the super invisible-man in the middle. I call players how I see them, I''m not ashamed to admit I''m wrong and not afraid to call a cr@p player cr@p. So far gibbs has been poor at best. If he plays against blackpool not only will I seriously be annoyed but I''ll be very dissapointed.
[/quote]

As I said on a different thread Fellas. You are entitled to your opinion of Gibbs.

.However that doesn''t prevent me from saying that I think you are talking a load of tosh.

[quote user="scott"]

[/quote]

At last somebody speaking some sense and saying it as they see it, like I did rather than believe all the tosh being wtitten abour Gibbs!

He was dreadful Saturday, no tackling, no energy, Pattison working overtime to cover for him yet if you read the EDP today he gets 7/10, the same marks as Docherty who was superb and our best player. That in itself is ludicrous, Gibbs was at best 4 or 5 out of 10!

People not at the game and just reading the match reports in the EDP are being so mislead!

I''ve got the utmost respect for what Roeder has done for the club but obviously part of the deal in getting these loan players was that he has to play them and hes trying to cover this up and people have fell for it!

Shacks was very unlucky to get dropped cause he hasn''t done anything wrong but thankgod Pearce done well!

Most fans are only turning a bling eye to how poor Gibbs has been cause hes from Arsenal. If we''d of got him from another Championship club or a lower Division then people would be saying it as it is!

As I said before just saying it as it is!

[/quote]

My comment to Fellas goes for you to Scott.

Utter tosh mate.

Now does this mean I can expect a selection from him on the Free Bet pages ? Or perhaps a meat order from him ? Or dare I say a recent departed one ? I am sorry if I sound mercenary but its a cut throat world we live in and I cant afford to lose a sale don''t you know ?[;)] arrdee

[quote user="ricardo"]

.However that doesn''t prevent me from saying that I think you are talking a load of tosh.

[/quote]Agree to disagree my friend, but the question is gibbs or betrand, gibbs or huckerby, gibbs or russell, gibbs or fozzy? I know which player I won''t pick everytime, and this is what I''m saying. I''m all for playing the youngsters. I love seeing the young guns like pearce and betrand and chedders who really go out and try and win every ball and aren''t content for it to go wrong. Unfortunately this is not what I see in gibbs. I don''t see that passion, him busting his gut to win those 50/50''s or to put a tide turning tackle. He came into the team against Hull with a swagger and arrogance and was sorely found wanting time and again. I think everybody can agree he had a much better game again Barnsley but then again, it''s just that, it was barnsley. He didn''t do any tackles, I can only remember say 1 or 2 at best but what I do remember were a couple of 50/50''s on the edge of the box that he pulled out of, which if he had won we would have been in a great position. Now ability wise, well he can pass and he can do the touches but if he doesn''t want to get stuck in and play an all-ound game then he''s not fit for the championship. We were very fortunate that we played a team like barnsley at home with him in the centre because if we played most other teams in the league our midfield would have been rolled-over just like when we had the infamous carl, invisible man, robinson. I''ll put it simply, if he plays next week I''m dissapointed because roeder has dropped a better player to accomoate him.

It''s funny how folk take different things from games. I fee the EDP''s assessment of Gibbs was not misleading. Gibbs did everything that Pattison didn''t and to be fair, Pattison did everything Gibbs didn''t. True, Gibbs was not strong in the tackle and he wasn''t exactly putting the fear of God into the opposition like Pattison, but Gibbs very rarely gave the ball away and kept it simple, relieving a bit of pressure and allowing players to take stock of the situation instead of hitting hollywood balls into the corners like Pattison did on numerous occasions. He also put in a better challenge in the air than Pattison and when he did win aerial balls he generally found somebody.The pair compliment each other well and it seems that folk''s opinion on players lies in the kind of player they prefer - the Patti battler or the Gibbs type player who was willing to drop deep to collect the ball and then keep it simple. Either way, both players would have looked worse if the other weren''t playing with them on Saturday.

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

Agree to disagree my friend, but the question is gibbs or betrand, gibbs or huckerby, gibbs or russell, gibbs or fozzy? I know which player I won''t pick everytime, and this is what I''m saying. I''m all for playing the youngsters. I love seeing the young guns like pearce and betrand and chedders who really go out and try and win every ball and aren''t content for it to go wrong. Unfortunately this is not what I see in gibbs. I don''t see that passion, him busting his gut to win those 50/50''s or to put a tide turning tackle. He came into the team against Hull with a swagger and arrogance and was sorely found wanting time and again. I think everybody can agree he had a much better game again Barnsley but then again, it''s just that, it was barnsley. He didn''t do any tackles, I can only remember say 1 or 2 at best but what I do remember were a couple of 50/50''s on the edge of the box that he pulled out of, which if he had won we would have been in a great position. Now ability wise, well he can pass and he can do the touches but if he doesn''t want to get stuck in and play an all-ound game then he''s not fit for the championship. We were very fortunate that we played a team like barnsley at home with him in the centre because if we played most other teams in the league our midfield would have been rolled-over just like when we had the infamous carl, invisible man, robinson.

I''ll put it simply, if he plays next week I''m dissapointed because roeder has dropped a better player to accomoate him.
[/quote]

Well Fellas, you either like the cultured player or the headless chiken. Personally I like to see a player who is aware of his positioning on the pitch and who always goes about his business in an unhurried and calm manner. To mine mind its the sign of a class player and I see these qualities in Gibbs. We have more than enough of the former type of midfielder who tackles everything that moves and covers every blade of grass on the pitch. I would venture to include Pattison and to an extent Rusty and Fozzy in this bracket. Granted they are all industrious and do a good job in breaking up the opponents play, but where is the creativity?

For me, the lack of a Gibbs type creative playmaker has been the main reason why we have failed to make enough scoring opportunities this season. If the lad gets an extended run I feel sure you will be amending your opinion of him pretty quickly. I say give the lad a few more games before you make up your mind about him. Glen and Mr. Wenger and good judges of a footballer and I don''t think they are too far wrong about young Gibbs.

This is supposed to be about whether Roeder dissed the regular fans at Pinkun, which I don''t think he did. He went after a few blowhards, that''s all.  But this has turned into a forum on Gibbs.  What is with all this jive talking about Gibbs? I mean, how deep is your love for the team if all you can do is criticize a guy for one game? His play was not a tragedy by any means. Wait ''til next game and he may play like he''s got Saturday afternoon fever. Then you''ll all be singing his praises. But then how do you mend his broken heart?  Start to joke that starts the whole world crying?

This seemed much funnier in my mind than it is on the page.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Fellas"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]Agree to disagree my friend, but the question is gibbs or betrand, gibbs or huckerby, gibbs or russell, gibbs or fozzy? I know which player I won''t pick everytime, and this is what I''m saying. I''m all for playing the youngsters. I love seeing the young guns like pearce and betrand and chedders who really go out and try and win every ball and aren''t content for it to go wrong. Unfortunately this is not what I see in gibbs. I don''t see that passion, him busting his gut to win those 50/50''s or to put a tide turning tackle. He came into the team against Hull with a swagger and arrogance and was sorely found wanting time and again. I think everybody can agree he had a much better game again Barnsley but then again, it''s just that, it was barnsley. He didn''t do any tackles, I can only remember say 1 or 2 at best but what I do remember were a couple of 50/50''s on the edge of the box that he pulled out of, which if he had won we would have been in a great position. Now ability wise, well he can pass and he can do the touches but if he doesn''t want to get stuck in and play an all-ound game then he''s not fit for the championship. We were very fortunate that we played a team like barnsley at home with him in the centre because if we played most other teams in the league our midfield would have been rolled-over just like when we had the infamous carl, invisible man, robinson. I''ll put it simply, if he plays next week I''m dissapointed because roeder has dropped a better player to accomoate him.[/quote]

Well Fellas, you either like the cultured player or the headless chiken. Personally I like to see a player who is aware of his positioning on the pitch and who always goes about his business in an unhurried and calm manner. To mine mind its the sign of a class player and I see these qualities in Gibbs. We have more than enough of the former type of midfielder who tackles everything that moves and covers every blade of grass on the pitch. I would venture to include Pattison and to an extent Rusty and Fozzy in this bracket. Granted they are all industrious and do a good job in breaking up the opponents play, but where is the creativity?

For me, the lack of a Gibbs type creative playmaker has been the main reason why we have failed to make enough scoring opportunities this season. If the lad gets an extended run I feel sure you will be amending your opinion of him pretty quickly. I say give the lad a few more games before you make up your mind about him. Glen and Mr. Wenger and good judges of a footballer and I don''t think they are too far wrong about young Gibbs.

[/quote]Nowhere in my posts do I alude to the fact that I like a "headless chicken" infact if anything I dislike this style of player and I was equally as unhappy with pattison as I was with gibbs. I would agree with you Ricardo but unfortunetely I cannot see any "play-maker" qualities from what I saw from the barnsley game. Now for me the highlighted sentence is incorrect. That should read: "for me, the lack of a MCVEIGH....". Now Mcveigh was a play-maker and made things happen on the pitch, bless gibbs'' heart, he''s a young lad and has time to become a play-maker if he so desires but I saw no "play-maker" like abilities in the barnsley game.Now Ricardo, I finally come to the killer part, now I''m all for playing loan players but we all know gibbs will not be here next year. Now to me, if Gibbs was to play he''d almost certainly be in the middle of the park. Now, due to rusty''s type of style he''d probably stay in the team, these means that player to be dropped would be none other than Fozzy, the player we can all say, that has been the key to our recent success (I''m not saying he is the sole reason, but a defining one). Gibbs is unlikely to be here, fozzy is likely to be here. For me there is no question whom I would choose. However, I will take one point of your arguement on board, I will watch him play some more games before I make my mind up and I will keep as an open mind as possible, all I can ask is for you, and every norwich fan to do the same.

lets put it this way - the ordinary punters who turn up week in week out do hold valid opinions on players, team, manager, club performances, which ultimately matter - however roedy dresses this up.  he might think we''re numpties who know jack bout footy -  but collectively if we hold adverse opinions then this will do for most managers - else he''d still be in charge of west ham.  in fact, roedy will find most naaarwich fans more tolerant than his beloved geordie fans - who did for him (unfairly and too soon in my view).  wonder what big sam thinks bout them too???as for gibbs - we''ve done this to death - but glad to see roeder played him in his preferred posi and he got a betta performance from the boy.  sounds like more improvement required though.  but roeders comments seemed over the top - most people on this message board gave a fair and reasonable assessment of gibbs hull peformance - which didn''t sit squarely with roeders assessment - so what???  they''re written words, and it may have upset a few gooners comin on here - but again so what???  if gibbs came on here, and thought - opps - i thought i did ok - then he was wrong and needs to know it.  if his confidence is that fragile, he won''t cut it in the rough and tumble of the champs - make no mistake.   if he''s a competitive boy and wants to succeed, then he''ll want to prove people wrong and shove our weasel words back down our virtual throats - and if he does, then fair play, cos then he''ll be giving performances worthy of the NCFC shirt.  imo gibbs got a good reception - live at carra rd - and received no jeers or badmouthing from the crowd - nor did he get cheered when his sub replacement came on - which is lucky given his performance.as for his future at city - despite a better showing against barnsley - i don''t think the boy will reach the required standard to force his way into the first team picture.  my opinion after 2 matches.

[quote user="scott"]He was dreadful Saturday, no tackling, no energy, Pattison working overtime to cover for him yet if you read the EDP today he gets 7/10, the same marks as Docherty who was superb and our best player. That in itself is ludicrous, Gibbs was at best 4 or 5 out of 10![/quote]Not in the game I saw. Pattison was total crap, and Gibbs was much better than Pattison. Gibbs improved, and will improve further given more time. But hey, let''s string him up before he can show us what Wenger and the England management see in him.P.S.Pattison really was crap.P.P.S. Well done Roeder for having a pop at the "I''ve paid my money so you''re gonna have to put up with whatever garbage I choose" gnat-brains. He saw where that leads, at West Ham. Seriously, it''s ruining football, leading to England fans booing the players, and other nonsenses.

[quote user="Fellas"]He''s proved nobody wrong. I''m sorry but he''s no better than a carl robinson, the super invisible-man in the middle. I call players how I see them.[/quote]

Judging by that comment, you must see them from a very long long way away.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

[quote user="Fellas"]He''s proved nobody wrong. I''m sorry but he''s no better than a carl robinson, the super invisible-man in the middle. I call players how I see them.[/quote]

[/quote]Nope actually I sit in row G.

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="Mister Chops"]

[/quote]

Nope actually I sit in row G.
[/quote]

Which stadium?

[quote user="Eastside Canary"]

This is supposed to be about whether Roeder dissed the regular fans at Pinkun, which I don''t think he did. He went after a few blowhards, that''s all.  But this has turned into a forum on Gibbs.  What is with all this jive talking about Gibbs? I mean, how deep is your love for the team if all you can do is criticize a guy for one game? His play was not a tragedy by any means. Wait ''til next game and he may play like he''s got Saturday afternoon fever. Then you''ll all be singing his praises. But then how do you mend his broken heart?  Start to joke that starts the whole world crying?

This seemed much funnier in my mind than it is on the page.

[/quote]

LOL.[:D]

But you really have picked up the point of this thread. There are still a few indignant ''self confessed experts'' who, having seen a lad play less than two full games, now know more about him than Wenger and Roeder put together.

I have to admit I haven''t seen Gibbs play! But who do i believe when it comes to a summary of his ability. Wenger, Roeder or Fellas?[^o)]

[quote user="Fellas"][quote user="ricardo"]

[/quote]

He didn''t do any tackles, I can only remember say 1 or 2 [/quote]

Ok Fellas. Which was it? None, 1 or 2? [^o)]

[quote user="Old Boy"]

P.P.S. Well done Roeder for having a pop at the "I''ve paid my money so you''re gonna have to put up with whatever garbage I choose" gnat-brains. He saw where that leads, at West Ham. Seriously, it''s ruining football, leading to England fans booing the players, and other nonsenses.
[/quote]

Gibbs was crap against Hull, no doubt about it, but most fans assessed him on that one game.  The comments in question came in the Match ratings thread.  If someone plays crap, they are going to get a crap assessment.

''He saw where that leads''  Yes, he managed West Ham and Newcastle...  Maybe because of this he has a bad view of fans, but in the most part they don''t come more tolerant than Norwich City fans, and pointless comments from Roeder won''t help the situation.

Glenn Roeder has a lot to prove, thus far in his career he has been an impact manager, performing miracles in his first season or so then following it up with a massive downturn in fortunes.  Did you know Roeder has 7th place finishes with Watford, West Ham and Newcastle!  In each case the following season resulted in relegation (Watford and West Ham) or a Relegation being on the cards (Newcastle).  In each case he was sacked the following season.

What is so bad about this lot - I have seen one hell of a lot worse on here in the past....

Gibbs - 5.5 - obviously needs to learn and with time on the ball he might be great, but was hustled out of the game and hardly had a kick.  Ended up playing inside left to try to see the ball.

Gibbs - 3  - poor introduction - and needs to improve 100% to warrant another run out imo. 

Gibbs poor - lightweight and like a rabbit in headlights.

Gibbs - 5 - Anonymous but he hardly got the ball

Gibbs - 5 - a wimp! he''s not being pampered in the premiership now! welcome to the championship Keiren! the players are bigger than you and yes, will try and kick you! Needs to learn to give as good as he gets and want to get involved instead of worrying about his image by getting tackled by "little" Hull.

Gibbs 3. Totally anonymous. Not sure whether that''s his fault or the system, but he contributed nothing either defensively or in attack. Should have been subbed at h/t.

Gibbs - 5 totally off the pace of the game, needs to be used as a sub

Gibbs - 4 - looked out of his depth and was almost anonymous. Should remeber it was his first ever league game - give him time. 

Gibbs: 4- My god what a pointless cameo he played. Clearly in the team to please Arsenal and didn''t contribute at all. Don''t get me wrong, with a couple of games under his belt he could come good, and I really hope he does.

Gibbs –3

Gibbs - 4, was he even on the pitch!! he was out of position far too much and look more like a central player to me, not a good first game