Sign in to follow this  
Boyo

Well played Gibbs!

After the Hull game Gibbs got alot of stick for not playing to well, but today I thought he put in a good performance.  Whenever someone got the ball he always made himself an option and if they gave him the ball he would play a nice tidy pass and not try to do anything to special and he put his body around aswell wich was good.  So all in all a good performance by Gibbs, well played son!

I thought he was ok today, nothing special, but a lot better than Patty, who apart from his tackling, was bloody woeful, Rusty and Fozzy do not have anything to fear of him. Back to Gibbs, you could tell he had more confidence and was a willing player, but he has to realise that he does not have the time and space as Arsenal''s traing ground.

You are having a laugh or you watched Norwich V Barnsley in a parallel universe!

Gibbs didn''t tackle, wasn''t on the pace, his passing was below average and he generally looked scared to express himself! - He was a passenger and his partner Pattison weas having to work overtime to cover for his limitations!

Don''t get sucked into believeing all this hype about him being a wonder player cause in 2 Norwich peerformances he has done absolutely nothing and has looked our worst player. looks no better than Rossi Jarvis!

Comeback Russell and Fotheringham quickly!

[quote user="scott"]

You are having a laugh or you watched Norwich V Barnsley in a parallel universe!

Gibbs didn''t tackle, wasn''t on the pace, his passing was below average and he generally looked scared to express himself! - He was a passenger and his partner Pattison weas having to work overtime to cover for his limitations!

Don''t get sucked into believeing all this hype about him being a wonder player cause in 2 Norwich peerformances he has done absolutely nothing and has looked our worst player. looks no better than Rossi Jarvis!

[/quote]

Who''s the one in a Parallel universe? by what your saying suggests you think Pattison had a good game. i personally saw nothing wrong with Gibbs performance today, his passing was better thand Matty P''s, His heading was better than Matty P''s,  one think Matty had on him was desire and workrate. but he reminds me of a hybrid Hughes/Holt. Runs around like Holt and Hughes, but just tries that killer ball too much. he needs to simplify his passing abit more. thas all. confidence he needs too. Gibbs is a fine player and will grow into a good qaulity Prem Player, maybe not now but he is young but he has the technical ability to succeed.

[quote user="scott"]

[/quote]

and why did he look scared to express himself?(not that i think he did) because prats judge people after 1 game and destroy any of the confidence he may have had. Support the boy ffs!

Yes, fully support to our no. 18 -- as I am wear his Norwich shirt now! :)

Gibbs was a midfielder who can play left back or left wing, with a good skill on the ball, but I admit he need an experience player liked Fozzy or Rusty play alongside him, I would say the three man midfield would be fit him very well

Gibbs still looks well out of his depth. The whole game I don''t think brook it to sweat and if I remember rightly had real applause only twice We have to remember he was only playing because there was no one else available and most probably he has to play so many games in his loan contract. Pattison worked hard also partly to cover for Gibbs but cant pass a ball. In this universe both players are really bench warmers.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST 

[quote user="scott"]

[/quote]This is really harsh.  Gibbs played well yesterday, he was tidy and didn''t give the ball away much.  Pattison had to work hard to cover up his own pathetic passing.  He can''t pass it ten yards, so why he kept hitting the fifty yard cross-field pass, I have no idea at all.  He''s good at tackling but that''s all.

Gibbs started the game quite poorly, but as the match progressed he got a bit more confident and sarted playing a fair bit better.  Would still have liked to see more from him though.  But having a central midfield partner who kept passing the ball into touch doesn''t really help!!  I think Fozzy will come straight back into team, but alongside who.  Even though he was rubbish yesterday, I would say Pattison, but purely as a ball winner and battler than any other reason.

I thought Gibbs had a reasonable game - good in flashes but also a little out of his depth at times; a good prospect though, you''d imagine that after a few games in the side he will only improve.

I do wish people would lay off Pattison a bit - yes his passing at times was off the mark yesterday, but then so was everyone''s.  But for his battling, harrying and tackling in the middle of the park, you do wonder how much more possession Barnsley would have had.  IMO he is the sort of player we thought Brellier would be for us, maybe not the best passer but someone who will try 100% all the time and never give up.  For me, you need at least one player like that in your side - Rusty usually fits the bill, but as he is out for the next 2 games I hope the next game is Patty and Fozzy in the middle.

I''m glad a few others see what I''ve seen so far from Gibbs!

I never said Pattison was that great either!

Pattisons workrate (had to work overtime being with Mr Gibbs in the middle!), desire, and commitment were first class but unfortunately his passing was Sunday league!

Like I''ve said on other threads thank god we were playing a poor Barnsley team!

Gibbs began like a fish out of water, but he is clearly a good player, stuck to the task and improved. He may be a confidence player. As for matty patty I though he worked like a  trojan to make up for Gibbs being lightweight but let himself down with his passing.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

I do wish people would lay off Pattison a bit - yes his passing at times was off the mark yesterday, but then so was everyone''s.  But for his battling, harrying and tackling in the middle of the park, you do wonder how much more possession Barnsley would have had. 

[/quote]

This is what I call Gary Holt syndrome.

Some fans see Pattison tackling and winning the ball in midfield and applaud him.

Some fans note that while he is particularly good at winning the ball back, nine times out of ten it''s his terrible passing that gave the ball away in the first place.

Pattison needs to stick to ten yard passes at most.  Every time he hits a crossfield pass, it''s misdirected and either goes out of play, goes behind our player meaning a loss of momentum while he runs back to retrieve it, or it goes to an opposition player.  His dead ball delivery is seldom better.

Effort & commitment - 9/10

Passing and technical ability - 2/10.

He makes Russell look like Ronaldinho.

Thanks for all these comments boys.!  And I would like to add dont you think Pattison would be a better player if he just played a simple ball rather than trying to play a killer ball.  Because then we would keep possesion for longer and then if MP worked on his longer passing in training and left it of the pitch for a while he would become a great all round player.

I thought Gibbs showed huge improvement against Barnsley, he rarely lost possession and looked tidy both in the air and on the ground. Had this not have been the case we would have been under real pressure because Pattison''s distribution was poor.

After the (rather harsh) stick he got for his performance agianst Hull he deserves some credit because he proved an able replacement for Fozzy. He will improve given more games and obvioulsy needs to build up his strength to thrive in this league - but I guess that''s why he''s here on loan - to learn, toughen up, and improve his game. 

Sad to say it - he already looks streets ahead of Rossi Jarvis!

I think it was the great Wayne Gretzky who said "100% of the shots you don''t take don''t go in".  By the same token 100% of the "killer passes" you don''t try don''t come off.  Come on people, why not give the guys, especially Patty, some credit for trying.  It would only have taken one of them to work and you''d all have been saying "what a fantastic ball to set up that goal".  I seem to remember a great many people being critical of midfielders who only play the short ball or only pass backwards or sideways.  Ambition is never a bad thing.

[quote user="Boyo"] And I would like to add dont you think Pattison would be a better player if he just played a simple ball rather than trying to play a killer ball.  Because then we would keep possesion for longer and then if MP worked on his longer passing in training and left it of the pitch for a while he would become a great all round player.[/quote]If he did that, he''d become an adequate player.

[quote user="Scooby"]

I think it was the great Wayne Gretzky who said "100% of the shots you don''t take don''t go in".  By the same token 100% of the "killer passes" you don''t try don''t come off.  Come on people, why not give the guys, especially Patty, some credit for trying.  It would only have taken one of them to work and you''d all have been saying "what a fantastic ball to set up that goal".  I seem to remember a great many people being critical of midfielders who only play the short ball or only pass backwards or sideways.  Ambition is never a bad thing.

[/quote]Yes it is - when it''s allied to a complete lack of ability to pull the pass off.The problem with MP is that 90% of the passes he does take don''t come off.  It''s just not good enough.

I thought Gibbs was pretty good on Saturday, though I think he was fortunate to be playing in centre-mid against a Barnsley team who weren''t that keen on tackling with their cup quarter-final coming up. He looks like a player with great potential who will be too lightweight for the Championship. The thought of him playing against Stoke....Loved the comment about him being ''streets ahead of Rossi Jarvis''. What a compliment. I''d like to add that I think he''s also better than me. I thought what was great about Holty was that he didn''t try to pass more than ten yards. He went and got it, gave it to Lardy Mulryne, who played the Hollywood pass.Pattison needs to do the same as Holt. He''s got fabulous commitment, and is a really good ball-winner at this level. He needs someone with a decent pass alongside him. Fozzy, basically.On a side note, I have a theory. I reckon when these guys come down to the Championship from Premier League clubs, they bring with them a lot of confidence. They think they''re awesome. Pattison was great on debut, as was Pearce on Saturday (that step-over...can''t see the Shack trying that...). After a while in the Championship, they realise what a tough league it is, and fade slightly. Certainly has happened to Patty, and I reckon it''ll happen to Pearce.But whatever you believe, none of these players will ever get any better if they get jeered. I thought some of the reaction to Pattison on Saturday was awful.

[quote user="BBFF"]

Gibbs still looks well out of his depth. The whole game I don''t think brook it to sweat and if I remember rightly had real applause only twice We have to remember he was only playing because there was no one else available and most probably he has to play so many games in his loan contract. Pattison worked hard also partly to cover for Gibbs but cant pass a ball. In this universe both players are really bench warmers.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST 

[/quote]

Thought I''d enter the Gibbs debate and say that he looked better in the Barnsley game but I have to agree with BBFF that he still looks out of his depth and in my opinion is lighweight, afraid to tackle and no better than any midfielders that we have at the club.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="BBFF"]

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST 

[/quote]

Thought I''d enter the Gibbs debate and say that he looked better in the Barnsley game but I have to agree with BBFF that he still looks out of his depth and in my opinion is lighweight, afraid to tackle and no better than any midfielders that we have at the club.

[/quote] Precisely!

Yes he isnt the best midfielder weve got but give praise where praise is due.  He did miles better than against Hull and if we keep moaning at him he will never get his confidence and we will never see the best of him.  So give him praise (because he deserves it) and give him some confidence.

[quote user="Boyo"]Yes he isnt the best midfielder weve got but give praise where praise is due.  He did miles better than against Hull and if we keep moaning at him he will never get his confidence and we will never see the best of him.  So give him praise (because he deserves it) and give him some confidence.[/quote]

But should we be seeing  much of him when Russell, Fozzy, Pattison and Hucks are fit????

I am not a Fozzy fan so I would like to see him play one mpre game but with Russel, but although Hucks is fit (im not a fan of his either.) I think it would be an idea to put him on the left for a game.