Sign in to follow this  
ca

Roeder's attack on Neil Adams

To be perfectly honest I don''t think there was a personal issue between Glenn and Hucks, I just don''t think Hucks has the same match winning quality that he had for the last few years.

Dropping Huckerby was a professional decision - he''s no longer the best winger at the club so he doesn''t get in the team straight away. It''s sad but that''s football.

The problem comes up that Adams and a few others openly suggest that the only reason that Huckerby could be dropped is because it''s a personal decision, and I think Glenn is quite right to put these people in their place.

The suggestion that Glenn should have communicated to the rumourmongers in private should really think what that achieves - there is no public admonishment for the speculation so it continues and eventually some berk will turn around and say ''well the lack of a denial must mean there''s a problem''.

For people to look at how far we''ve come since Glenn took over and still come to the conclusion that Huckerby should be starting simply lends more credence to Glenn''s statement that ''they are people who will never manage a football club, they have little idea of managing a football club...''

Suddenly people are commenting that Ian Murray may not just be a sour puss. Seriously? The man who thought losing under Grant was more fun than winning under Roeder is suddenly a person to be listened to?

For years we''ve wanted someone at ''little old norwich'' to show a bit of backbone, and Glenn''s doing it. Fantastic is all I can say.

Cheers,

Tickers

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Look - sorry to have to raise the Hucks debate, but i just can''t let this ''Hucks hasn''t contributed during our unbeaten'' As recently as the Saints away game, Roeder introduced Cureton and Hucks as second half substitutes just as we were beginning to defend deeper and deeper. Result? Hucks took three players with him. Had one great run within minutes of coming on and we looked a different side for the last 15 minutes. Same again against Hull at home. Hull looked to press for the winner until Hucks came on. Result? Minimum of two marking him -Hull time wasted and played for a draw. We all know football is about opinions but I dont think we can do without Hucks as a squad player. Roader looks as if he could well be a really successful manager for us and these little outbursts of his could all be part of a cunning plan, but I think he should have confirmed exactly what Adams had said and then, if necessary, discussed it privately with him.[/quote]

I do not know the rights or wrongs of this and I don''t much care but I do know one thing for CERTAIN: you don''t hear two hats in this business (journalism): you are either an independent commentator/writer for a Media organisation or you are an employee of the firm being "commentated" upon - you cannot possibly be both.

If you are  both you eventually get your bollox snagged on the razor wire - sooner or later. 

[quote user="Yellow Rider"][quote user="a1canary"]

Ouch. I have to say this is a side to Roeder i don''t much like. I''m more than happy that he''s our manager right now and he''s the kind you want as your manager, not as an opposing manager. And i totally trust his footballing judgement.

But he does himself no favours with these kinds of outbursts. How can he expect people not to think he might have a problem with some players when he so clearly and easily has a problem with others he chooses? Maybe him and Hucks are fine, but he''ll do nothing for the rumour mill talking like this. And i like how he says he doesn''t think he has to go out of his way to say something but says it anyway. Oh, and by the way Glenn, did you know, we had 8 points in November? I''m sure he doesn''t feel he has to point this out - but he does it anyway. EVERY week!

[/quote]

Now if we continue to make progress under GR I don''t suppose anyone will care less but, to me, this kind of incident does not bode well for the future once GR comes under pressure as he surely well as / when results turn and the honeymoon period ends.  

[/quote]

Exactly. Hopefully he knows this attitude is not one to employ on his own players when things aren''t going well. He''s shown he certainly has it in him to be nasty as Murray said and Adams has found out. I don''t buy this ''nice guys finish last'' mantra. Yes many successful people aren''t nice, but the likes of Bobby Robson, Terry Venables, Martin O''Neill, Mourinho (to his own players!) prove that it is not neccessary to be nasty to be successful.

p.s. Note to those who see this as ''slagging off'' GR, or who ''can''t believe people are slating him'' etc etc zzzz, zzzz...  It''s just an observation - no-one is saying he''s not doing a great job and that they don''t want him here. We can''t have everything, but I would like a manager who doesn''t think he can say what he wants, to who he wants, how he wants. Worthington thought that when talking about us fans. I actually wasn''t bothered when he laid in to us, but we all know how it ended.

Can''t see why what Neil Adam''s said should in anyway rile Glen Roeder.  Is he therefore saying those at the club can''t disagree with him. Has he not heard of constructive critisism or the pooling of Ideas?  For goodness sake GR, were all tremendously grateful for what youve achieved thus far but keep those toys firmly in the pram.  Frankly all this stems from his not playing Huckeby, and dare I say it, subsequent realisation that he made a mistake.As for the comment''s saying he will in someway demote Neil Adam''s that''s just rubbish as is the idea the media will distance themselves from him - may have escaped certain people''s notice but the media actually rather like a liitle friction - It sells. 

Once again can someone please point out where Glenn Roeder states his comments about Neil Adams, because I have read through it time and again and can''t see his name mentioned at all.

Adams shouldn''t be on the radio anyway.  Talk about cosy media/club relationships... how''s he supposed to be objective and/or insightful if he''s looking over his shoulder at the Donk''s payslip?

And yes, Roeder''s right in what he said.  There''s too much wannabe punditry everywhere.  Graham Taylor commentates on England games, for heaven''s sake.  Imagine if it were Steve McLaren?  Probably will be one day.

The key points are that both Hux and Roeder have said that there''s no problem between them, that Huckerby has acknowledged that he hasn''t played well enough to earn an extended contract, and that now he seems fired up for a good end to the season. Whatever the pro''s and con''s of Roeder''s outburst, and he doesn''t hold back when he probably should, if he gets the results, who cares? Anyway, as a radio pundit, Neil isn''t that good - his comments are too guarded. I''ve listened to other League games on other local stations where the pundit is much more forthright and interesting. But the worry is that, if Glenn is this thin-skinned when things are going well, how will he cope when things go badly?

Roeder is a pain in the neck. Although he has dragged us out of the mire I have no regard for him at all. He has a lot of Brownie points at the moment so can get away with a lot. He is going to do more harm to this club in the long term than many at this moment can imagine. Adams or Roeder "nasty and irritating"?. It''s not Adams.

I think it''s very understandable from Glenn. Both he and Hucks have repeatedly now said that their is no problem, however often Adams gives the impression that the only time Hucks is ever dropped is because of a personal problem. Now, with all these rumours about, it can set fans against fans, players speaking with each other about the possible situation and everything can be blown out of proportion.Although, this does seem another one of his way of showing everyone that he is no longer this ''nicey nice'' manager that everyone labelled him as after Newcastle.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Once again can someone please point out where Glenn Roeder states his comments about Neil Adams, because I have read through it time and again and can''t see his name mentioned at all.[/quote]

Who else is an ex-player who coaches the Under 10s? Hmm?

[quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"]Glenn Roeder is doing a brilliant job for Norwich City and therefore perhaps he feels he should be above all criticism. I wonder if he''s a bit touchy because he thinks he hasn''t received enough praise for his efforts - maybe he would have a point there. Having said that, I think his remarks regarding Adams and Huckerby were childish and totally unnecessary. As another poster has said he should have contacted Adams privately instead of ranting in the press as he did. Maybe somebody should have a quiet word with Glenn and tell him to calm down a bit![/quote]

Good to read a sensible post and one that stayed on rather than strayed off the original point. No one can dispute that Roeder has worked wonders for the club but he was out of order saying what he did about Adams (and there is no doubt that it was Adams he was talking about). And why some of the posters should have distorted the original post into bad mouthing Adams is beyond me. Being a Canary in exile I particularly enjoy Canary Call and I always find Adams very constructive, fair and interseting.  

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Once again can someone please point out where Glenn Roeder states his comments about Neil Adams, because I have read through it time and again and can''t see his name mentioned at all.[/quote]

Glenn said ''''  ''''An ex-player who is now working for the media who will never manage anything better than an under-10 team, and they has a voice that reaches our supporters''''

Neil Adams is an ex player, works for the media, coaches our under 10 team and has the voice on saturdays which reaches our fans.

Who else could it be within the club?

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Once again can someone please point out where Glenn Roeder states his comments about Neil Adams, because I have read through it time and again and can''t see his name mentioned at all.[/quote]From Pinkun article:Roeder''s comments are believed to refer to BBC Radio Norfolk

summariser and Pink Un columnist Neil Adams, the former City midfielder

who is a coach within the club''s youth set-up.Adams yesterday

said he stood by comments he made this week when he said he would play

Huckerby - but that Roeder''s record in leading City out of the

relegation zone could not be argued with.“It is not me saying

that he should have played - because results show that the manager has

got it right,” said Adams. “I am a big fan of Huckerby''s, but it''s

results that count and it''s results that the manager has got.”

[quote user="tribes"]Roeder is a pain in the neck. Although he has dragged us out of the mire I have no regard for him at all. He has a lot of Brownie points at the moment so can get away with a lot. He is going to do more harm to this club in the long term than many at this moment can imagine. Adams or Roeder "nasty and irritating"?. It''s not Adams.[/quote]So - although no club has ever stayed up given where we were in November, and we''ll be the first, you have "no regard for him at all"?  How strange.Come on then, entertain me.  What harm is he going to do to this club, and how will he do it?

[quote user="Yellow Rider"]

To me this shows up an alarming flaw in GR''s make up i.e. he ain''t particularly good at ''man management''.

[/quote]

errrrrrr...................sorry? Not good at man management.......?

Just bare with me while I get my head round this.........

ok...

so...

he took on a team with NO CONFIDENCE that was 24th in the table with a measly 8 points from 16 games who were playing utterly garbage football and barely registering a shot in every single game.

a few months later, said team had been turned into outsiders for the playoffs after a run involving 2 defeats in 18 games.

...this is correct fact, you agree, yes?

and then after all of this you come on here and say :-  "To me this shows up an alarming flaw in GR''s make up i.e. he ain''t particularly good at ''man management''".

[:|]

As a person I have no regard for him. For what he has achieved in pulling is out of the abyss I applaud him. Entertain you no thanks, patroniser.

[quote user="alex_ncfc"]

Who else is an ex-player who coaches the Under 10s? Hmm?

[/quote]

Is that what I asked??? Erm no, I said where is his name mentioned, so smarty pants please point out where his name is mentioned.  Please read my questions carefully before having a snipe, many thanks and good health [:)]

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Once again can someone please point out where Glenn Roeder states his comments about Neil Adams, because I have read through it time and again and can''t see his name mentioned at all.[/quote]

From Pinkun article:

Roeder''s comments are believed to refer to BBC Radio Norfolk summariser and Pink Un columnist Neil Adams, the former City midfielder who is a coach within the club''s youth set-up.

Adams yesterday said he stood by comments he made this week when he said he would play Huckerby - but that Roeder''s record in leading City out of the relegation zone could not be argued with.

“It is not me saying that he should have played - because results show that the manager has got it right,” said Adams. “I am a big fan of Huckerby''s, but it''s results that count and it''s results that the manager has got.”
[/quote]

You see where it says believed, it''s a neat way of having no legal comeback stating something that isn''t true, or might otherwise be misconstrued as such.  So where does it say please that GR said it WAS Neil Adams, erm it says nowhere for a fact, point proven.  The media sometimes have a lot ot answer for IMHO.

I think it''s great. Neil Adams can communicate directly with thousands of fans for hours - he has a responsibility to think about the consequences of his communications and the effect they may have on a team/morale/success of a team or individual players. Glenn probably reckons he''s gone over the line and had a right go - I would''ve preferred Glenn had phoned in and given it to Neil on the airwaves, rather then ''sort it'' behind closed doors which some people have suggested.Glenn is cool and has given us some steel, identity and vigour. I''d rather his communcations than Grant or Worthingtons. Whether he is right or wrong, he''s the man to protect the team and the players. I think he''s done pretty well so far.

[quote user="tribes"]As a person I have no regard for him. For what he has achieved in pulling is out of the abyss I applaud him. Entertain you no thanks, patroniser.[/quote]As a person I couldnt give a damn what he is like.  As Norwich Citys manager is all I care about and the guy has been nothing short of world class.I think you need to stop being childish and realise that you have probably never met GR and never spent any amount of time with him, so how you can have no regard for him as a person is quite astounding.  Grow up son.  Unless of course, you are Neil Adams [;)]

Can we just cut Glen a little slack here, as manager, he must have a few pressures we''re not even aware of, the bloke has worked miracles here and does not deserve any flak over this.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]Can we just cut Glen a little slack here, as manager, he must have a few pressures we''re not even aware of, the bloke has worked miracles here and does not deserve any flak over this.[/quote]

Cutting people a little slack is a bit rich coming from you, you who normally doesn''t take prisoners ! J

I got involved in this discussion because of the unwarranted attacks on Neil Adams but I must admit that I am getting more and more uncomfortable with Roeders prickly, barbed outbursts. As someone else has already said, if he''s super sensitive now what''s he going to be like when he does come under pressure ? After all, frankly he was really in a no lose situation when he arrived and now he is surrounded daily by praise and compliments to such an extent that the worry is that they will go to his head or have already done so. He seems to be behaving like someone who knows that they are currently indispensable. I''m the first to concede that he has worked flipping wonders with our club and I can''t thank him enough for it and long may he stay but that doesn''t make him immune to criticism. He isn''t perfect, no one is, and if we can''t have a constructive debate about some of his negative points as well as his many postives then it''s a poor show.

And he''s the smallest man on the pitch wrote:  Cutting people a little slack is a bit rich coming from you,

Its a bit rich.................but it is fair.................if Adams is employed in any capacity by the club, he should have kept his gob shut on this matter...........you don''t bite the hand what feeds you!.   [:|]

[quote user="1st Wizard"]And he''s the smallest man on the pitch wrote:  Cutting people a little slack is a bit rich coming from you,

Its a bit rich.................but it is fair.................if Adams is employed in any capacity by the club, he should have kept his gob shut on this matter...........you don''t bite the hand what feeds you!.   [:|]

[/quote]

Agreed [Y]

Best post on this subject so far (from ''Smallest man on the pich'')! Pity some others can''t see the real issue that many of us have concerns about.  

It ain''t nothing to do with Hucks or GR''s record here to date but everything to do with his quite amazing outburst via the media where he appears to have labelled certain people ''in and around the club''  (almost certainly Neil Adams) as .....''nasty, irritating and bad'' . If that were Worthy he would have been strung up outside Norwich Castle by now! But hey what the heck, we''re on our way to Wembley to beat ''The Scum'' in the Play Off Final so nothing else matters!   

I think they should have ''Guest Presenters'' from the Pink Un message board on Canary Call. We could have a rota just like Arrdee has for the Free Bet. I''m sure it would be more interesting to call Smudger and Cluck or Wizard and Babes rather than Neil and Chris. Maybe Arthur would prefer this project to his newspaper column. Arthur and Ralph presenting Canary Call.. what a thought.

Has anyone here ever rung in to Neil?

[quote user="1st Wizard"]And he''s the smallest man on the pitch wrote:  Cutting people a little slack is a bit rich coming from you,

[/quote]

Unfortunatly many people thought Waghorn''s stance on Worthington was due to his links with the club.  He even alluded to it himself.  The media put very little pressure on Worthington for fear of alienating the club.

I hold my hands up and didnt see a lot wrong with what Adams said, I mean he is frustratingly on the fence over almost every issue and refused to say he thought Worthington should go even when that was his opinion.  Myabe holding these two jobs isnt the best situation, but one thing is true, where he to be sacked he woyuld be far more critical of teh club than he ever is now.  I think NCFC are lucky to have him working for them, considering the position he holds in the media.

[/quote]1st Wiz, today is a great day as I, Norwich " R " Us, am in agreement with you 110% !  This is the only point that should matter ^ . I think some of you lot are being highly hypocritical.  Lets put you in Glenns boots for a second.. Im sure some of you are high up in a company or own your own business or something, if not pretend you are.So after years of hardwork and the gaining of invaluable experience you find yourself manager of a company/branch/team.  Then one day the office messenger comes a long and starts s**t stirring in the local papers, inciting speculation that you have fallen out with an employee meaning both parties have to go out of there way and publicly condemn this as rubbish. You have employeed this guy and now he''s causing you undesirable problems, in public. Are you honestly telling me you would not be angered and annoyed by this? That you would just let it pass quietly and never confront it?  If you are, you''re either 1. lying or 2. such a walk over that you''d never get close to being in this position anyway.Going back to reality now, I just don''t know how you can sit on a message board telling Glenn how he should / shouldn''t be reacting in this situation, and you can''t say "should have done it in private" when Neil Adams was the one that brought it into the public eye in the first place! Back to an original point, do you think Sir Alex Ferguson would allow this disrespect from within his own set up? I don''t.

Madness.