Sign in to follow this  
ca

Roeder's attack on Neil Adams

[quote user="1st Wizard"]And he''s the smallest man on the pitch wrote:  Cutting people a little slack is a bit rich coming from you,

Its a bit rich.................but it is fair.................if Adams is employed in any capacity by the club, he should have kept his gob shut on this matter...........you don''t bite the hand what feeds you!.   [:|]

[/quote]

wiz is right.. this is why i feel Radio Norfolk would be best employing a former player who perhaps is still in touch with certain people at the club, but isnt employed by the club and can say it how it is.... Iwan Roberts or Darren Eadie perhaps?

jas :)

[quote user="1st Wizard"]And he''s the smallest man on the pitch wrote:  Cutting people a little slack is a bit rich coming from you,

Its a bit rich.................but it is fair.................if Adams is employed in any capacity by the club, he should have kept his gob shut on this matter...........you don''t bite the hand what feeds you!.   [:|]

[/quote]

I think you are correct Wizard when you say "You don''t bite the hand that feeds you." However, I think you stopped short in your thought process ( nothing unusual about that ). If you follow your principle a little further Mr. Roeder also made a comment that he appears to have been given a free pass on when he said, "It is easy being a manager when you are one of 25,000 sitting in the stands." Where did that come from Glenn? All the fans realise that your statement is correct but the important question is why did you feel the need to say it? Something that Mr. Bill Shankly NEVER would have done. Judging by the observers on here nobody sees a problem with that comment. I can understand that when things have been going so well. However, remember football is a game of ups and downs, winning and losing runs. I doubt Glenn''s comment on the fans would have been so readily overlooked if we were on a run of 14 or 15 games without a win. Then, I suggest, Wizard, you would have been one of the first to be saying, "Don''t bite the hand that feeds you Mr. Roeder."

Norwich '' R '' Us

You''re getting carried away now. You seem to clout down any reasonableness expressed on this board only of course if it''s not in agreement with your views which you so vigorously express. You and 1st Wiz agreeing on anything must be akin to fascism evenually finding common ground with stalinism. A full circle of extremism. And yes, I am using hyperbole to illustrate a point so, no, I am not really accusing you of being fascist or stalinist.

1. Can you confirm unequivocally in what capacity Adams is employed by the club ? Please answer this question factually not speculatively.

2. Can you confirm exactly what it was that Adams said to annoy Roeder so intensely ? I have listened to and read everything that Adams has written on the subject of Roeder and Huckerby and I can state without any fear of you trying to contradict me that nothing he has said has been nasty, unconstructive or unreasonable. In any case, he''s employed to comment and give his opinions on Norwich City FC. 

3. Why should all posters concur with your views and why are you so obnoxious when expressing your disagremment with other posters ?

Yankee - I don''t have a problem with it because for the last five or six seasons this message board has been full of people who arn''t just making opinion based suggestions for team line ups - they are harshly criticising players, managers and the club using as a base nothing but conspiracy theories.This has carried on even now after a fantastic run. For 13 games the most popular subject was not - "wow Glenn is doing well" - it was why isn''t Huckerby playing or we could have won if Huckerby was playing and finally Glenn must not like Huckerby. Even though Hux had an injury and had to take treatment for it.I think Roeder has every right to criticise those who criticise him - especially after one of the most successful runs in recent years. No one should criticise and then expect to avoid any criticism in return.Get behind the team, get behind the manager and get behind the club - end of.

[quote]

I got involved in this discussion because of the unwarranted attacks on Neil Adams but I must admit that I am getting more and more uncomfortable with Roeders prickly, barbed outbursts. As someone else has already said, if he''s super sensitive now what''s he going to be like when he does come under pressure ? [/quote]

Have you forgotten so soon the farcical nature in which our previous two managers have dealt with the media?

We have Peter Grant slating Cureton in public for having a shot in a match where he was on a hat-trick.

How about Nigel Worthington''s brilliant handling of the Ashton debacle?

Roeder coming down heavy on Adams'' inane comments is about setting the boundary for the local media and employees from the club about simply making up stories or speculating about the personal relationships inside the club. Glenn has been very careful to keep reprimands and criticisms of individual players very private, which I quite like. Even when we know that words have been said we all know that those words are between Glenn and the player.

Huckerby hasn''t come out and implied anything negative, Fozzy even goes so far as to tell the board to back Glenn in the Summer and Lappin, despite being on the outskirts of the side, is still cropping up every week saying that he wants to return to Carrow Road to fight for his place. All of this is really quite positive and supports the idea that Glenn''s interaction with the players is much better than Grants. There is nothing negative about either players or managers coming out of the club, and that''s a good thing, Adams'' simple lack of thought upsets that balance, that he is an employee of the club to boot simply makes his comments more foolish.

Cheers

Tickers

I''d be amazed if the club sack Adams. As someone said earlier, having him on the payroll mitigates what he can say. Roeder will probably give him a dirty look and ignore him for a bit, but I''m sure Doncaster et al will want to keep Adams employed, because he''s likely to become more bitter and actually start having stronger opinions if they are to chuck him out. In terms of good radio, it would actually be better if he were to leave the club though - then he could be controversial on occassion (though I don''t really think he''s that kind of character).

This must be the biggest storm in a teacup ever, when you read what Adams actually said (and yes, assuming that Adams is who Roeder was talking about)!

[quote user="tribes"]Roeder is a pain in the neck. Although he has dragged us out of the mire I have no regard for him at all. He has a lot of Brownie points at the moment so can get away with a lot. He is going to do more harm to this club in the long term than many at this moment can imagine. Adams or Roeder "nasty and irritating"?. It''s not Adams.[/quote]

Talk about gossiping bitter old women, this board is absolutely full of them. We have a manager who has worked an absolute miracle, I doubt there is any other manager in the Football League or the Premiership that could have done any better than he has, yet people still find an excuse to have a go at him. His personality and style are what make him what he is, it may not be attractive to everyone but it woks so quit moaning and support the club and the manager. I am begining to suspect that a lot of the posters on here are premenstrual women, I will probably regret that remark but you know what I mean!

[quote user="chicken"]Yankee - I don''t have a problem with it because for the last five or six seasons this message board has been full of people who arn''t just making opinion based suggestions for team line ups - they are harshly criticising players, managers and the club using as a base nothing but conspiracy theories.

This has carried on even now after a fantastic run. For 13 games the most popular subject was not - "wow Glenn is doing well" - it was why isn''t Huckerby playing or we could have won if Huckerby was playing and finally Glenn must not like Huckerby. Even though Hux had an injury and had to take treatment for it.

I think Roeder has every right to criticise those who criticise him - especially after one of the most successful runs in recent years. No one should criticise and then expect to avoid any criticism in return.

Get behind the team, get behind the manager and get behind the club - end of.
[/quote]

Chicken, I understand your sentiments and agree with them insofar as getting behind the manager/players/Board wholeheartedly. A positive environment in any walk of life requires everyone getting behind the bus and pushing in the same direction to achieve success. However, that''s not what Glenn was doing in throwing out that unnecessary comment in the fans direction. The best football managers of the past know that to do that at any time is unwise and certainly unwise when not called for.

[quote user="Tickers"][quote]

I got involved in this discussion because of the unwarranted attacks on Neil Adams but I must admit that I am getting more and more uncomfortable with Roeders prickly, barbed outbursts. As someone else has already said, if he''s super sensitive now what''s he going to be like when he does come under pressure ? [/quote]

Have you forgotten so soon the farcical nature in which our previous two managers have dealt with the media?

We have Peter Grant slating Cureton in public for having a shot in a match where he was on a hat-trick.

How about Nigel Worthington''s brilliant handling of the Ashton debacle?

Roeder coming down heavy on Adams'' inane comments is about setting the boundary for the local media and employees from the club about simply making up stories or speculating about the personal relationships inside the club. Glenn has been very careful to keep reprimands and criticisms of individual players very private, which I quite like. Even when we know that words have been said we all know that those words are between Glenn and the player.

Huckerby hasn''t come out and implied anything negative, Fozzy even goes so far as to tell the board to back Glenn in the Summer and Lappin, despite being on the outskirts of the side, is still cropping up every week saying that he wants to return to Carrow Road to fight for his place. All of this is really quite positive and supports the idea that Glenn''s interaction with the players is much better than Grants. There is nothing negative about either players or managers coming out of the club, and that''s a good thing, Adams'' simple lack of thought upsets that balance, that he is an employee of the club to boot simply makes his comments more foolish.

Cheers

Tickers

[/quote]

If Adams is a remunerated employee of the club then there is no doubt that he is unwise to criticise Roeder or the club and, if that''s the case, he should not be working for Radio Norfolk. Simple case of conflict of interest.This is why I have asked for conclusive proof that he is a remunerated employee of the club as opposed to helping out the under 9''s from time to time. In any case, as I keep saying Adam''s comments were hardly offensive, malicious or deliberate mischief-making and therefore did not warrant the reaction they received.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="1st Wizard"]And he''s the smallest man on the pitch wrote:  Cutting people a little slack is a bit rich coming from you,

[/quote]

I think you are correct Wizard when you say "You don''t bite the hand that feeds you." However, I think you stopped short in your thought process ( nothing unusual about that ). If you follow your principle a little further Mr. Roeder also made a comment that he appears to have been given a free pass on when he said, "It is easy being a manager when you are one of 25,000 sitting in the stands." Where did that come from Glenn? All the fans realise that your statement is correct but the important question is why did you feel the need to say it? Something that Mr. Bill Shankly NEVER would have done. Judging by the observers on here nobody sees a problem with that comment. I can understand that when things have been going so well. However, remember football is a game of ups and downs, winning and losing runs. I doubt Glenn''s comment on the fans would have been so readily overlooked if we were on a run of 14 or 15 games without a win. Then, I suggest, Wizard, you would have been one of the first to be saying, "Don''t bite the hand that feeds you Mr. Roeder."

[/quote]I agree with this Yankee. I think Glenn has stepped the line in this ''saga''. Both of our previous managers tussled with the fans, particularly Worthington, which my first post on this forum was about. The fans of the club, as all fans around the world, always like to think they are invloved in team selection. Glenn has been fortunate that we have gone on a long unbeaten run, because comments like those echo what Grant and Worthy have said before and landed them in hot water. Norwich city fans are some of the most laid-back in the country.In addition is this whole: "adams is employed by the club" thing going a bit far. After all he is only the u10 manager, not a big paying high ranking job. I very much doubt that adams could retire from the media and use his wages as u10 manager to fund his retirement. I thin people are reading too much into this, as I see it Adams is doing the club a favour by himself, being a professional footballer, educating and training these children in football. I believe he has every right to speak his opinion and if the club want to censor what all their employees say then I feel that is wrong. If Sally the IT admin worker was to say the same comments that Adams did then would this be such a big issue? I hopefully doubt it otherwise people would start questioning whether poor Sally should have a job.

Adams being an employee wasn''t the point, setting boundaries within the media was the point I made.

Considering that Adams'' comments question the professionalism of both Glenn and Hucks (that a personal falling out is why he doesn''t play) I think it''s perfectly valid that Glenn is angry at the insinuation.

I don''t think Neil means any ill will, I think he just didn''t give enough consideration to what he was saying. The key difference between Adams and Roeder is that one sees Huckerby as a star talent and the other doesn''t. That''s why Huckerby isn''t in every starting line up.

If Adams had not decided to wonder about more scandalous reasons for him being dropped then he wouldn''t be in this mess.

"And he''s the smallest man on the pitch":

Norwich '' R '' Us

You''re getting carried away now. You seem to clout down any reasonableness expressed on this board only of course if it''s not in agreement with your views which you so vigorously express. You and 1st Wiz agreeing on anything must be akin to fascism evenually finding common ground with stalinism. A full circle of extremism. And yes, I am using hyperbole to illustrate a point so, no, I am not really accusing you of being fascist or stalinist.

1. Can you confirm unequivocally in what capacity Adams is employed by the club ? Please answer this question factually not speculatively.

2. Can you confirm exactly what it was that Adams said to annoy Roeder so intensely ? I have listened to and read everything that Adams has written on the subject of Roeder and Huckerby and I can state without any fear of you trying to contradict me that nothing he has said has been nasty, unconstructive or unreasonable. In any case, he''s employed to comment and give his opinions on Norwich City FC. 

3. Why should all posters concur with your views and why are you so obnoxious when expressing your disagremment with other posters ?

-------------------------------------------------

O...K Mr. Political, thats good. I could probably find some ambiguous

way of comparing you to Pol Pot.... but I''ll spare you the confusion.

1. This was from my very first post: "Do you honestly believe if a lowly local radio commentator (who works

for the club as well apparently, did not know this myself) started

questioning Alex Ferguson''s or Jose Mouriniho''s team selections in the

local papers that they wouldn''t cut this guy out straight away?"So

I didn''t know and I never pretended I did. But since the issue came to

light in this thread and was then confirmed by others I did a bit of

research and found it to be true. That ok? Or do you want me to go down

to Colney and check myself?

2. He is employed by radio

norfolk to give his opinions on NCFC. Thats fine. The problem is he is

also employed by the NCFC and thus it''s very unproffessional for

certain opinions to arise in the media! The nature of the 2 roles mean

that this line was always going to be crossed, as concluded on here

previosuly by various posters, perhaps Neil doing both jobs at the same

time is not going work out well! Not rocket science now is it! I

don''t know exactly what was said and I''ve never pretended to, after

all, I am not Neil Adams... but it didn''t take long before Archant were

printing "Adams: I''d play Huckerby" headlines. Whatever was said, with

him being on the NCFC payroll this situation should never have come up

and I believe Roeder''s response was totally justified. No one

has answered my question yet: do you think Sir Alex Ferguson would be

happy with such intrusion? I can''t imagine it, feel free to disagree!

I only make ''obnoxious'' posts in response to those that have used so

little brain power to make a point that it''s actually embarrassing. See

"Re: Man-management" post above. If its a well thought out post that I

don''t agree with there''s no way I''d disrespect it in such a way. I use

the term unreasonable because a lot of posts on here are uncalculated,

disillusioned, knee jerk rubbish and it pains me reading them. You can

call that snobbery if you like, I really don''t care. Another thing that

irks me is this attitude of "i fink dat Roeder is nasty". PLEASE - He

was brought in to steer a big ship towards success, he wasn''t brought

in to be your friend. Boo hoo. Do you honestly think the most

successful managers, in all walks of life, are like the jolly nice man

down ''acle road''? It just doesn''t happen like that. Please, someone

answer my Sir Alex Ferguson question!

I hope that answers all your questions. Peace.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]

[quote user="tribes"]Roeder is a pain in the neck. Although he has dragged us out of the mire I have no regard for him at all. He has a lot of Brownie points at the moment so can get away with a lot. He is going to do more harm to this club in the long term than many at this moment can imagine. Adams or Roeder "nasty and irritating"?. It''s not Adams.[/quote]

Talk about gossiping bitter old women, this board is absolutely full of them. We have a manager who has worked an absolute miracle, I doubt there is any other manager in the Football League or the Premiership that could have done any better than he has, yet people still find an excuse to have a go at him. His personality and style are what make him what he is, it may not be attractive to everyone but it woks so quit moaning and support the club and the manager. I am begining to suspect that a lot of the posters on here are premenstrual women, I will probably regret that remark but you know what I mean!

[/quote]

Whilst I could easily take offence at the Premenstrual woman comment I won''t because I have a SOH, plus I agree with you about how people still find excuses to have a go at GR.  Annoys the hell out of me.

I can understand Roeder''s frustration, but Adams is still entitled to his opinion, whether he''s on the payroll at City or not. Roeder''s harsh words make me wonder if Adams and other people have been saying stuff about it around Colney as well as Adams having his say on the radio and in the NEN (Norwich Evening News). Adams is in a bit of an awkward position really, commenting on Roeder''s team selection while doing his media work as a pundit on BBC Radio Norfolk. In fact, I would go as far to say that his position within the youth set-up, and possibly that of other people''s as well (Be they other players, other coaches etc.), could prove to be a bit untenable now, as it seems that you either toe the Roeder line, or you''re out.

Roeder is the football manager after all, so I''m sure that he would oversee all the team set-ups when he can. For this, he would also need to have coaches in place that he could trust. Would he be able to trust Adams and those other people that he''s alluding to now? Because of this I wouldn''t be a bit surprised if, come the start of next season, Adams is doing media work only.

I must admit though, even though he didn''t actually name Adams (He didn''t have to as I''m sure most, if not all, fans that have read the article know who he''s on about) or others, choosing to take a swipe like that through the local media, instead of keeping it within the club, is rather Grant-like. Roeder is getting a bit of personal flak over this from a few fans which, while I don''t think it was really necessary to go through the media, is a bit unfair as he should be judged more as a manager and not as a person.

People need to be very wary of Mr. Roeder. I can''t remember now if it was him or his wife admitting this in the EDP interview a while ago, but due to the brain tumour that very nearly killed him while at West Ham, it certainly does appear to have given him a harsher, more confrontational edge.

Obviously I really like Roeder, he''s doing a fantastic job, but I wouldn''t dare cross him if I worked within the club that''s for sure.

[quote user="Bigmarkcanary"]IObviously I really like Roeder, he''s doing a fantastic job, but I wouldn''t dare cross him if I worked within the club that''s for sure.

[/quote]

And this is a fantastic attitude for people within the club to have!

[quote user="Bigmarkcanary"]

Obviously I really like Roeder, he''s doing a fantastic job, but I wouldn''t dare cross him if I worked within the club that''s for sure.

[/quote]

I just can''t understand why Roeder needed to comment like this?  He could have put the whole subject to bed earlier had he come out in the press and given us his reasons for dropping Hucks.  Hopefully this isn''t the start of the downfall of Roeder''s reign as at his previous clubs.  If little things like some fans critisism of Gibbs first performance (one so bad Roeder dropped him for a right winger playing out of position) and Neil ''Fence Sitter'' Adam''s not particuarly controversial comments have got to him that badly I wonder how he takes other comments around the club?

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"][quote user="Bigmarkcanary"]

[/quote]

I just can''t understand why Roeder needed to comment like this?  He could have put the whole subject to bed earlier had he come out in the press and given us his reasons for dropping Hucks.  Hopefully this isn''t the start of the downfall of Roeder''s reign as at his previous clubs.  If little things like some fans critisism of Gibbs first performance (one so bad Roeder dropped him for a right winger playing out of position) and Neil ''Fence Sitter'' Adam''s not particuarly controversial comments have got to him that badly I wonder how he takes other comments around the club?

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more with your post Citizen but others on this thread who have expressed similar and perfectly reasonable comments have been slaughtered for their temerity at any hint of criticism of Roeder. We are all in accord that Roeder has turned our club around and we all recognise that we owe him a debt of gratitude but that doesn''t mean to say that he has carte blance to to say whatever he wants and IMO his coments went to far and, worryingly, revealed an element of his character that perhaps doesn''t bode well for the future. Only my personal view of course. As a supplementary comment, it wouldn''t surprise me if he left in the summer for a premiership club anyway. Cue GBH for N R Us and 1st Wiz etc.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

Quite agree CJF there was no need for him to comment in public and he could have put the whole subject to bed much earlier.

I think the man is doing a great job but like the rest of us he''s not perfect and will make mistakes and when he does he will be challenged.

A bit scary. a whiff of paranoia, a hint of menace and a waft of vindictiveness, a flavour of arrogance - I guess that''s normal for managing football at the top level. Sends shivers up yer spine though. I hope he doesn''t turn on the supporters sometime.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

Quite agree CJF there was no need for him to comment in public and he could have put the whole subject to bed much earlier.

I think the man is doing a great job but like the rest of us he''s not perfect and will make mistakes and when he does he will be challenged.

[/quote]I know a certain player who does it quite regularly, but never receives such criticism for doing so...

[quote user="UEA Canary"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I know a certain player who does it quite regularly, but never receives such criticism for doing so...
[/quote]

Ahhhhh but you see that''s because he''s whiter than white and could never do any wrong in some people''s eyes [;)]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="a1canary"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]Once again can someone please point out where Glenn Roeder states his comments about Neil Adams, because I have read through it time and again and can''t see his name mentioned at all.[/quote]From Pinkun article:Roeder''s comments are believed to refer to BBC Radio Norfolk summariser and Pink Un columnist Neil Adams, the former City midfielder who is a coach within the club''s youth set-up.Adams yesterday said he stood by comments he made this week when he said he would play Huckerby - but that Roeder''s record in leading City out of the relegation zone could not be argued with.“It is not me saying that he should have played - because results show that the manager has got it right,” said Adams. “I am a big fan of Huckerby''s, but it''s results that count and it''s results that the manager has got.” [/quote]

You see where it says believed, it''s a neat way of having no legal comeback stating something that isn''t true, or might otherwise be misconstrued as such.  So where does it say please that GR said it WAS Neil Adams, erm it says nowhere for a fact, point proven.  The media sometimes have a lot ot answer for IMHO.

[/quote]For goodness sake ''we are''! Do you need it spelling out? I know it doesn''t categorically say Roeder is talking about Adams but everyone who has anything to do with the club or the local media accepts this to be the case and neither Roeder nor Adams are disputing who is talking about who. Does GR have to spell it out for you and say it? Bin Laden hasn''t categorically said "i WAS involved in the 9/11 terror plots" but it''s a bit bloomin obvious!!