Sign in to follow this  
ca

Roeder's attack on Neil Adams

Looks like Neil has upset Glenn big time re the Hucks situation. Wonder how long Neil will be coaching the under 10''s for and how long he''ll be doing the radio commentary for?

Glenn says '''' What I don''t like is the way people in and around the club have tried to say there is a problem between the two of us. He has gone out of his way to say there isn''t. I have gone out of my way - although I don''t feel I have to go out of my way - to say there isn''t.“And yet these nasty, irritating people that try and cause confrontation between myself and a player, between myself and supporters, are just bad people. “They are people who will never manage a football club, they have little idea of managing a football club and yet they have a voice that reaches our supporters. Me and Huckerby get on very well. I don''t have favourites, I don''t do favourites. I pick the best team and at the end of the day it is my call.“It is easy being a manager when you are one of 25,000 sitting in the stand or if you are an ex-player who is now working for the media who will never manage anything better than an under-10 team, thinking he knows best - and you know what I''m talking about, and I will deal with that, trust me. I''m a nice bloke, but not always.”Full interview http://new.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED25%20Feb%202008%2008%3A08%3A16%3A060

Er? ave I missed something Angel? has Adams had a ''pop'' at the alledged Roeder/Hucks situation? 

I don''t listen to Canary Call or read his PU column I''m pleased to say.

Ouch. I have to say this is a side to Roeder i don''t much like. I''m more than happy that he''s our manager right now and he''s the kind you want as your manager, not as an opposing manager. And i totally trust his footballing judgement.

But he does himself no favours with these kinds of outbursts. How can he expect people not to think he might have a problem with some players when he so clearly and easily has a problem with others he chooses? Maybe him and Hucks are fine, but he''ll do nothing for the rumour mill talking like this. And i like how he says he doesn''t think he has to go out of his way to say something but says it anyway. Oh, and by the way Glenn, did you know, we had 8 points in November? I''m sure he doesn''t feel he has to point this out - but he does it anyway. EVERY week!

To be fair Glenn can have a whinge, but Hucks has proven it was a poor decision to drop him from the squad.  As for Neil Adams commentary, he assumed that the reason Hucks was left out was cos of some sort of problem, because he couldn''t think there was any other valid reason to drop him.

Performances and results showed that Glenn made a mistake - it was a poor decision,  Fortunatly we havent seen too many poor decisions from Glenn as he is doing an excellent job so far.

As for Neil Adams, it shows how tough it can be commentating on a situation when you are on the clubs payroll.  It again shows why Waghorn was always towing the club line about Worthy and Grant too.

If GR cannot take criticism then you have to question why he is in the job. Whilst I must admit that sometimes Neil Adams winds me up with his praise of Huckerby he has a right to his opinion. For GR to imply that Neil is a "bad person" is ludicrous-he has his opinion which he is entilted to express wherever he likes as of course does GR. Perhaps GR should stop to think that perhaps Neil Adams has no desire to manage/coach anything other than an under 10 team. The thought of GR as a sports summariser and columnist is laughable-just listen to him in interviews. In my opinion GR should get on with what he is doing reasonably well-making sure that NCFC are not relegated. Whilst it may be easy being a manager whilst "sitting in the stand" GRs record over the past years is not that impressive so perhaps he should "put up and shut up" As for being a nice bloke,don''t you believe it! As for Neil Adams I say "good on you"-say what you feel provided there is evidence to back up it up.  

Why did Roeder react to this. If he knows how to Manage a football club he would undertand that people have opinions. Once again he could have dealt with this quietly but such an outburst proves to me how insecure this man is.Roeder would have been best to ignore this as Adams has a rather captive audience and can spin this however he wants whenever he wants.  

[quote user="cityangel"]

Looks like Neil has upset Glenn big time re the Hucks situation. Wonder how long Neil will be coaching the under 10''s for and how long he''ll be doing the radio commentary for?

Glenn says '''' What I don''t like is the way people in and around the club have tried to say there is a problem between the two of us. He has gone out of his way to say there isn''t. I have gone out of my way - although I don''t feel I have to go out of my way - to say there isn''t.“And yet these nasty, irritating people that try and cause confrontation between myself and a player, between myself and supporters, are just bad people. “They are people who will never manage a football club, they have little idea of managing a football club and yet they have a voice that reaches our supporters. Me and Huckerby get on very well. I don''t have favourites, I don''t do favourites. I pick the best team and at the end of the day it is my call.“It is easy being a manager when you are one of 25,000 sitting in the stand or if you are an ex-player who is now working for the media who will never manage anything better than an under-10 team, thinking he knows best - and you know what I''m talking about, and I will deal with that, trust me. I''m a nice bloke, but not always.”Full interview http://new.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED25%20Feb%202008%2008%3A08%3A16%3A060

[/quote]

rather than having a war of words with adams in the press - shouldn''t roedy has picked up the phone and spoke to adams - who lets be fair - always strikes me a decent and honest bloke.   also, the week that the doc gets a new contract and hucks agent makes disgruntled noises, hucks doesn''t make the final 16 - which if a player of his ability isn''t injured, is frankly unexplainable - unless you assume there''s a problem between player and manager.  so, it seems if roedy doesn''t have favourites, and always picks his best team, that there''s no personal problems between hucks and roedy, and that hucks is training well with good attitude - we can only assume rodey doesn''t always rate hucks amongst his best 16 players.  therefore, i think its right that adams publically questioned this, cos in our wafer thin squad - surely hucks must always rank and be named in the first team on match days in terms of his ability???  nothing to do with politics of playing young loanees to satisfy other clubs then???one thing for sure, we can assume adams is no longer a fave of roedy!!!

So much for those who say that Adams is a mouthpiece for the club.  Maybe Roeder and Adams should have a chat, it''s possible that things have been misconstrued, or have become out of proportion.  It''s not easy filling 2 or 3 hours of air-time per broadcast, often twice a week, and any speculation is bound to be commented upon as a means of filling that time.  

[quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

Blimey and people say that NCFC spin a good line, please tell me where Glenn Roeder actually mentiones Neil Adams because I for sure cannot see his name, other than the reporter thinks that is who he might be referring to.  [;)]

This is the first time I have actually thought "Glen, what are you doing?".Firstly, we all know that Adams is not a "nasty" person, so that one is way wide of the mark. And secondly, this outburst is really quite unprofessional and, I would imagine, a bit of a PR nightmare for the club. Not only has he publically threatened the guy, but he''s also massively overreacting and appears quite threatened. Perhaps Roeder should take a little of his own advice - stop "crying like a baby" and just get on with his job.Seriously, if he is going to react like this each time somebody in the media expresses a differing view, I really do wonder how long it will be before his popularity starts to wane.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

Er? ave I missed something Angel? has Adams had a ''pop'' at the alledged Roeder/Hucks situation? 

I don''t listen to Canary Call or read his PU column I''m pleased to say.

[/quote]

Neil just made the point that he couldn''t understand why Hucks wasn''t in the 16 man squad for Leic last week. Think someone rang up canary call and also queried the decision to have Gibbs, Henry and Pattison ahead of him and Neil agreed and said that he didn''t understand it either and that Hucks would always make his 16 man squad.

Think Neil is a big Roeder fan and have said so many times so the ourrburst and words used seem a bit harsh when Neil was just questioning his team selection and giving his opinion, which I think he and us are quite entitled to do.

Think he should have sorted this behind closed doors not in the press.

Bet you can guess what Neil will get asked in canary call this week?

I''m glad Roeder said what he did. I find it incredible that fans put more weight on the views of Neil Adams than they do professionals like Roeder, Grant and Worthington.

[quote user="a1canary"]

Ouch. I have to say this is a side to Roeder i don''t much like. I''m more than happy that he''s our manager right now and he''s the kind you want as your manager, not as an opposing manager. And i totally trust his footballing judgement.

But he does himself no favours with these kinds of outbursts. How can he expect people not to think he might have a problem with some players when he so clearly and easily has a problem with others he chooses? Maybe him and Hucks are fine, but he''ll do nothing for the rumour mill talking like this. And i like how he says he doesn''t think he has to go out of his way to say something but says it anyway. Oh, and by the way Glenn, did you know, we had 8 points in November? I''m sure he doesn''t feel he has to point this out - but he does it anyway. EVERY week!

[/quote]

I agree with you on this A1.

Roeder has done astonishingly well for us since coming in but this is not the first verbal outburst from him whenever an issue winds him up. Remember the spat at Hartlepool when they delayed Paul Stephensons appointment? From memory, Rodere ''went into one'' and promised to ''name the person'' who was causing the delay. I don''t think he ever did.

Neil Adams comments about the Roeder / Hucks situation have always seemed pretty mild and balanced. Certainly no need for GR to spout off like he seems to have done. The comments (assuming he has not been totally misquoted) are amazing. Say what you like about Neil Adams but he does''nt deserve that kind of treatment!

To me this shows up an alarming flaw in GR''s make up i.e. he ain''t particularly good at ''man management''. Maybe Murray was right when he accused him of being ...''a nasty manager'' or words to that effect. We all dismissed that as sour grapes but maybe he had a point?   

Now if we continue to make progress under GR I don''t suppose anyone will care less but, to me, this kind of incident does not bode well for the future once GR comes under pressure as he surely well as / when results turn and the honeymoon period ends.  

For too long we''ve been a ''nice'' club. I like that Glenn is prepared to be a to55er if it''s neccesary.

Nice guys finish last. Stoke and Bristol City aren''t going around playing beautiful, perfect football are they?! They battle and do what ever it takes to get the points.

It should also be pointed out that Adams had his say about the Hux/Glenn situation BEFORE they both came out this week and said there was no probs.

All seems a bit of a fuss about nothing to me!

Glenn Roeder is doing a brilliant job for Norwich City and therefore perhaps he feels he should be above all criticism. I wonder if he''s a bit touchy because he thinks he hasn''t received enough praise for his efforts - maybe he would have a point there. Having said that, I think his remarks regarding Adams and Huckerby were childish and totally unnecessary. As another poster has said he should have contacted Adams privately instead of ranting in the press as he did. Maybe somebody should have a quiet word with Glenn and tell him to calm down a bit!

Cannot believe peope are having a go at Roeder. Do I really need to get out the form table link again?!Do you honestly believe if a lowly local radio commentator (who works for the club as well apparently, did not know this myself) started questioning Alex Ferguson''s or Jose Mouriniho''s team selections in the local papers that they wouldn''t cut this guy out straight away? Yes as a fan Adams should have an opinion but as a professional he has totally crossed the line. All the good managers have an aura of authority and respectability and if this is challenged they are all ruthless enough to show who''s boss.Glenn is spot on in his reaction and I''m really glad he has this side to him. If you lot want some sentimental, fence sitting, favourite selecting, all round ''nice bloke'' then go and support Newcastle.Let''s be honest, if some of you were in charge we''d have Iwan Roberts as manager, Darren Eadie on the right wing and Hucks would choose the team!Sentimentality gets you no where in football, all it does is hinder progression and if you snooze, you lose.

Every post seems to end at Huckerby''s door  whether for or against his inclusion in the side as for me i let Glenn chose HIS team and will back whoever selected .       I was not switched on to Neil on saturday as i attended carrow rd  [ an all to rare visit these days ]  but i know from several  phone-ins after matches and Neil has always stated D H would be the first name on his teamsheet .   He played okay saturday no more than that  , to my mind his inclusion did little  to alter the result on this showing but there is undoubted talent in this player i personally wish we would see the best of him more frequently perhaps this is his final season ?    .........................come on city......................

There has always been a potential conflict of interest with Neil Adams being employed by the club (jn his u-10 coaching role or whatever it is) and his job as an objective commentator. As a media commentator and pundit it is his job to say what he thinks, the Huckerby situation has been a matter of public debate, and it would be wrong if he couldn''t give his view. I can understand Roeder feeling irritated that someone they employ is speculating publicly on a sensitive issue. On the other hand Adams would be letting his listeners and readers down if he didn''t discuss a hot topic like this. Maybe it''s time for him to decide what he wants to be - pundit or coach?

Glen''s comments are a bit OTT, but I don''t mind him letting off steam, as long as Adams is allowed to continue saying what he thinks, even if it annoys the manager. (And actually Adams seems to me to be always very careful about what he says and how he says it - he''s scrupulously fair, even when faced with Canary Call''s finest...)

OTBC     

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I''m glad Roeder said what he did. I find it incredible that fans put more weight on the views of Neil Adams than they do professionals like Roeder, Grant and Worthington.

[/quote]

I take what you say apart from the ''Grant'' part, him and Duffy''s views I would take with more than a pinch of salt...

As for Adams, I happen to think on this occasion, about the only time he has ever stepped off the fence about anything, he was right, he couldnt understand any reason for Hucks not to be in the 16.  As it is it was just a mistake from Roeder - he hasn''t made many at city so far mind!

Norwich R Us - Completely disagree with you on your main point and as for the rest you just rambled off the subject. I don''t think for one moment that any NCFC fan thinks that GR is anything but an excellent manager and none of us need you or anybody else to show us the current form table. We know it already. But none of that means that we fans lose the right to criticize Roeder if feel the need to and I, for one, agree that his comments about Neil Adams are out of order, nasty and unnecesary. As it happens, I enjoy listening to NA on Canary Call and I do believe he has the right to have an opinion. After all, he isn''t a BBC newscaster who by definition, if not in practice, should be neutral.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

To be fair Glenn can have a whinge, but Hucks has proven it was a poor decision to drop him from the squad.  As for Neil Adams commentary, he assumed that the reason Hucks was left out was cos of some sort of problem, because he couldn''t think there was any other valid reason to drop him.

Performances and results showed that Glenn made a mistake - it was a poor decision,  Fortunatly we havent seen too many poor decisions from Glenn as he is doing an excellent job so far.

[/quote]

I dont agree with this.  How many games did hucks play in during the 14 game unbeaten run?  

We won on saturday cos Croft crossed and Cureton scored.  We would have won without hucks on saturday because he was average, at best.

Glenn has proven time after time that it was a good decision to drop hucks and the results since December have spoken for themselves.

Let me ask you, how many games since the 1st December has Darren Huckerby won for norwich?

Roeder has yet to give us a reason why huckerby wasn''t even in the 16 when he was fit. All this agressive and scathing words are just hiding the fans from the fact again. A lot of us fans are sick and tired of being fed spin and attacking comments at the media which hide the real issues.

Roeder''s probably as sick as I am of hearing Adams (assuming of course that it''s Adams he''s talking about) spout "Huckerby''s our best player" and "you''ve got to play your best players" endlessly. Both those comments are wrong - Huckerby WAS our best player, but he isn''t now (he wasn''t as effective as Croft on Saturday, for example), and you have to play your best TEAM, which may not be your "best" player. Luckily for Hux, he wasn''t in the squad for the latest no-show, but he''s been on the pitch for most of them during the last four years. I''m as keen as anyone that Hux should go out on a high, but I think he''s let it go for too long, and he can''t do it any more.I do feel a bit queasy when Roeder shoots from the hip like this and I wish he wouldn''t, but I guess he''s wearing his heart on his sleeve because he cares about the job. And I''d certainly back his judgement against Neil Adams''s: I seem to remember NA in the side for a lot of no-shows himself.

All hail Glen for he is the Messiah! 

Look folks I really can not see what all the fuss is about with Glen’s comments, he is the best thing at our club since the ‘Sainted One’ cleared off to Leicester with the potential, if properly resourced and backed, to be one of the greatest ever but there will be casualties along the way. 

Frankly if  Glen  suffered from raging tourettes   in each and every interview he gave I for one couldn’t give a monkies provided the football is worth watching and apart from the Leicester debacle its been superb. 

The article suggests the monotone one is next on Gelen’s hit list  and  if  so a hearty three cheers!  Let’s get somebody who at least possesses some humour and is willing to dispatch some of the  cretins  who clog the phone in up week after week and provide us with some solid post match entertainment.   

The next time Basil Fen-Gibbon from Acle phones in to proudly tell us “It was definitely off side when I heard it on the radio” cut the b-----y bloke off and move along to the next one, Adams messes  around pandering to these buffoons and giving them air time. 

Now as for the Adams & Hux debate we all know Hux has been a great and loyal servant and if it had ever been down to his agent he would never have come in the first place so it’s hardly surprising to hear him stirring things up, Hux said so as much recently. 

Furthermore  it is also clear is Hux would like to stay at the club but clearly he has some nagging long terms injury issues which may mean that playing the numbers of games at the level he preformed at is just no longer possible, unfortunately with some players that is how it is. 

If Hux is 100% he will give you 101% of that we can pretty damn sure over the last few seasons and any drop off in his performance will be as a result of his over all condition and absolutely not because he wants away. 

Whilst I was as fed up as everybody else at Leicester to not even see Hux on the bench I will back Glen to get it right and given the comeback our club has made over the last few months I think we should all do the same.  So let’s pack Adams bags for him hope Hux still has a good season or two with us left in him and enjoy the end of this remarkable season.

B F-G                   “Yes Neil, I think Huckerby was a disgrace today”

NA                         “Did you go to the game Basil”

B F-G                   “No I had to look after the pig but it sounded like it on the radio”

Got to agree with this.  Anyone with eyes can see Huckerby is past his best and at times now a liability - look at saturday and how often second half he was wandering back without a care leaving our flank exposed.

My concern is that Roeder, who we all know is doing a good job, bothered to say this in the press. Go and see Adams and have it out if he feels it will gain anything, but to slag off the under 10 coach who is also a respected explayer and commentator, in public is nothing short of PR stupidity.

[quote user="Duffman"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

I dont agree with this.  How many games did hucks play in during the 14 game unbeaten run?  

We won on saturday cos Croft crossed and Cureton scored.  We would have won without hucks on saturday because he was average, at best.

Glenn has proven time after time that it was a good decision to drop hucks and the results since December have spoken for themselves.

Let me ask you, how many games since the 1st December has Darren Huckerby won for norwich?

[/quote]

GR should have done this privately, I don''t want a manager who winges all the time, but then look what he has done and the potential of what he could do, I would rather him to have a pop at someone then lose him. With regards to Adams, god he made an opinion that he thought Hucks should have played, like most of us. He talks on a radio programme that is there to cause a reaction, like this board. If GR does not like that, don''t listen to it. Its not like that GR has been wrong on the Hucks debate too, he had played bit part roles in the matches where we had our long unbeaten run.

[quote user="All dots"]

Norwich R Us - Completely disagree with you on your main point and as for the rest you just rambled off the subject. I don''t think for one moment that any NCFC fan thinks that GR is anything but an excellent manager and none of us need you or anybody else to show us the current form table. We know it already. But none of that means that we fans lose the right to criticize Roeder if feel the need to and I, for one, agree that his comments about Neil Adams are out of order, nasty and unnecesary. As it happens, I enjoy listening to NA on Canary Call and I do believe he has the right to have an opinion. After all, he isn''t a BBC newscaster who by definition, if not in practice, should be neutral.

[/quote]As ''mazy run'' pointed out he probably needs to choose what to be, an NCFC employee or a 3rd party commentator. If he''s working as part of Roeder''s coaching set up then he doesn''t get to make comments about team selection. This situation would never happen at a well managed club. Is this really too hard to understand?I''ll repeat - As a fan he is entitled to question Glenns team selection.  As an employee of the coaching set up he''s not going to get away with it.Still confused?Besides, other posters have cleared this issue up already: 1. the name Neil Adams hasn''t even been mentioned so people are attacking glenn and using speculation as evidence.2. This all boils down to fans sticking up blindly for Huckerby at any oppurtunity. As citizen journo said, we are the 2nd best form team in the division and Huckerby has not directly helped us win a game in a long long time. Yes, he''s a city legend, but we must allow things to change or we''ll be stuck in the mud for a very long time.This "Roeder has realised he made a mistake" is utter self righteous bulls**t, I''ve got an inkling that roeder knows what he is doing a bit better than you guys!

[quote user="Duffman"][quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I was only talking about the recent matches in question where Gibbs and henry took the left wing slot and both had mares.  And really it was about Hucks being dropped from the 16 against Leicester.  But agreed, we have done better especially away from home with just the one winger, and Hucks is nothing like the player he once was.  You can''t knock Roeder at all on what he has done at NCFC in such a short space of time.

[quote user="Norwich R Us"]1. the name Neil Adams hasn''t even been mentioned so people are attacking glenn and using speculation as evidence.[/quote]

Who else does this description fiit then other than Neil?

Glenn said ''''An ex-player who is now working for the media who will never manage anything better than an under-10 team, and they has a voice that reaches our supporters''''

Look - sorry to have to raise the Hucks debate, but i just can''t let this ''Hucks hasn''t contributed during our unbeaten''

As recently as the Saints away game, Roeder introduced Cureton and Hucks as second half substitutes just as we were beginning to defend deeper and deeper. Result? Hucks took three players with him. Had one great run within minutes of coming on and we looked a different side for the last 15 minutes.

Same again against Hull at home. Hull looked to press for the winner until Hucks came on. Result? Minimum of two marking him -Hull time wasted and played for a draw.

We all know football is about opinions but I dont think we can do without Hucks as a squad player.

Roader looks as if he could well be a really successful manager for us and these little outbursts of his could all be part of a cunning plan, but I think he should have confirmed exactly what Adams had said and then, if necessary, discussed it privately with him.