Sign in to follow this  
Bovril

Fotheringham 'Back Roeder with transfer funds or risk losing me'

http://new.eveningnews24.co.uk/content/Sport/story.aspx?brand=ENOnline&category=Sport&tBrand=ENOnline&tCategory=Sport&itemid=NOED21%20Feb%202008%2010%3A17%3A10%3A530

Very interesting article in the evening news, basically Mark Fotheringham states that he has already been contacted by several clubs about his avaibility when his contract runs out in June...

He has stated that ''he loves the clubs and crowds we get'' and would like to sign a new deal, but has urged the board of directors to give Roeder the cash to make a good premier league promotion campaign..and if not he will sign somewhere else

Its interesting that the manager and coaches defintaely have the backing of all the players it seems but once more the board might be looking to be prudent..time to spend big?

Well a lot of players and managers have left Norwich over the 30(and more) seasons I have been watching the team. For some it has turned out well and for others not so.

Things are different however of late. The influx of foreign players into the Premier League and the Clubs''own training camps overseas and in the UK means that a Championship Player (or Manager) has little chance of going anywhere other than another Championship Club.

I think Fotheringham would be better keeping his opinions to himself rather than threaten the Board or the Manager with moving out.He might just be told to "get on the ''bus" and finding somewhere better than Norwich (and Norfolk) might not be so easy.

When you come to think of it if Fotheringham was Premier League standard that is where he would be ...... wouldn''t he?

A bit arrogant given his journeyman career to date for this sort of outburst.  However, he is a good player and I think he could be an integral part of the squad for next season.

Glen does need funds, serious funds to build a squad as we will be so very thin at the end of the season.  I am quite confident he will get the backing he wants.  But despite that I think next season we will see the bulk of the rebuilding done via the Bosman and loan markets.  In all fainess, and unusually pessimistically for me, I think we will onlt see 2/3 permanent signings in the summer.

good on fozzy. hes put the board in a very precarious situation now, if they don''t back glenn and fozzy goes they''re going to look like a real gang of numpties and have ALOT of fans baying for blood.check

now now you know players dont get involved in the politics of the club. He has been here five minutes and speaks out, Hucks does it and he is a villain.

Mark Fotheringham states

''he loves the clubs and crowds we get'' and would like to sign a new deal, but has urged the board of directors to give Roeder the cash to make a good premier league promotion campaign..and if not he will sign somewhere else

Do you think he''s been reading posts from Wiz and Arthur ?

So we can assume that if he signs a new contract, GR has been promised significant funds for the summer.“There have been a couple of other teams who have contacted my agent. I

have told the people at the club and given Glenn my word that I want to

stay, but there are a few things that are important for me to make my

decision
.”

Fotheringham knows more about what goes on at the club than we do and he''s saying the board needs to back Roeder with enough money to give him a chance to make us a success "on the pitch."

Some of us have been saying the same thing for years and years but we all know "off the pitch" will always comes first for this board.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

[quote user="Steve Burns"]

Do you think he''s been reading posts from Wiz and Arthur ?

[/quote]

No doubt he has................and he has bloody good tastes Steve.[;)]

I dont get the impression that Fozzy has a great deal upstairs, and him making ultimatums to the Board is pretty stupid on his part. However,I think the fact that he is the captain and seems to have the confidence of the manager is sigmnificant, if Roeder was confident of a good pot of money to rebuild then it would not have been necessary for Fozzy to come out with this. A worrying early signal of what may lie ahead?

Maybe he''s taken over as spokesman from Hucks who''s maintaining a dignified silence nowadays.

Thing is if he is asking the question then it makes you wonder if Roeder isnt sure whether he''ll be backed in the summer which in turn could mean we''ll have problems keeping him here as our manager.

Still it puts pressure on the board to respond doesn''t it?

Some guys talk so much about spin, but they can''t see it when its right in front of them.

[quote user="Steve Burns"]

Mark Fotheringham states

''he loves the clubs and crowds we get'' and would like to sign a new deal, but has urged the board of directors to give Roeder the cash to make a good premier league promotion campaign..and if not he will sign somewhere else

[/quote]

This is just Fozzy''s manager telling the world he needs a better contract with his current form. Its about more money. It has nothing to do with Roeder or the summer transfer window at all.

Remember. All footballers are selfish.

I think that the only thing he is really interested in is how much of a pay inrease he will get if he stays. Perhaps the Boad should sanction money for a new central midfielder?

Personally I feel due to this outburst he should be frozen out of the team ala Huckerby, the press convinced it''s a purely a ''footballing decision'' as he''s not part of our a future and we have better squad players, somewhere.  Not sure where at this current moment but we shall leave no stone uncovered in our search down at Colney.

[quote user="The Lord"]

Very interesting article in the evening news, basically Mark Fotheringham states that he has already been contacted by several clubs about his avaibility when his contract runs out in June...

[/quote]

which equates to Tapping up... Doncasters a Solicitor, best he take action against the clubs concerned.

an interesting article though.. Fozzy is signalling his intent and wants to captain a succesful side. its good that someone who Glenn holds in such high regard is speaking up for his manager and the rest of the squad. he wants the club to move in the right direction and is hoping the board will rise to the challenge.

time will tell

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"][quote user="The Lord"]

[/quote]

which equates to Tapping up... Doncasters a Solicitor, best he take action against the clubs concerned.

an interesting article though.. Fozzy is signalling his intent and wants to captain a succesful side. its good that someone who Glenn holds in such high regard is speaking up for his manager and the rest of the squad. he wants the club to move in the right direction and is hoping the board will rise to the challenge.

time will tell

jas :)

[/quote]

Pretty sure clubs are allowed to speak to Fotheringham as he is in the last 6 months of his contract and thus can sign a contract now taking effect from the summer if he so wishes to. Just thought id say before the predictable posts start slagging off Doncaster for being clueless...

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

I thought he was free to talk to other clubs due to his contract running out in the summer.

He won''t know until the end of the summer transfer window whether the board have stumped up or not will he?

So he will have to wait until then to decide whether or not to sign a new contract!

Duh!

Boll*cks!

OTBC

I''m dissapointed by fozzy. He should lead by example and not try to get blood out of a stone. He''s club captain and good role model for the young players that even if your career looks dead and baried, if you put the effort in, it can turn around. At the end of last season fozzy hadn''t done nothing and many thought his contract was extended, it was and I guess to some degree he has grant, the board and the club for doing so. Although I agree with his opinions, he''s captain, he has to lead by example and this is just a case of trying to get more money and not being ''loyal'' to a club that''s stood by him and even promoting him up to a position of leadership on the pitch.

He''s right in saying that the board need to back Roeder in the summer, couldn''t care less if he does leave in the summer though cos he''s not really that good anyway.

Dont think so Jas, because technically they wont be receiving anything for him.  If they dont give him a contract before the last 6 months then he is free to explore other avenues without the clubs consent.  If they have a problem with it then they should offer him a contract and then they will have a say in who he can talk to.Thats my limited understanding of the rule

Funny this is

1.  does he realise if norwich spend money he will probably not be in the side (squad yes - first XI no)

2.  does he realise he probably wont play for better club than norwich ever in his career from now on! i cant personally see him going to say watford, charlton or even teams slighty ahead of you in ipswich and wolves. size wise he will end up with a plymouth at best

3.  is he that good? personally i wouldnt be happy if they said wolves bid 200k for him, i havnt seen him to much but what i have seen of him he just seems ordinary and does nothing different or spectuclar

4. im sure if he left, norwich could find a perfectly capable centre mid to fill in his role

Like it or not, he''s played a big part in our revival, can control the midfield on his day, and has been a big part of Roeder''s impact on the team. All capped/endorsed by being made captain by a very well respected, succesful, ex-premiership manager. I''d say thats a pretty big boost to his CV.

Plenty of clubs out there with money to burn on someone like that.

Plenty of managers out there who''d want to see just how good Fozzy could be, in a midfield with a bit more quality, passing ability and vision.

Infact, Fozzy could turn out very well for this board - profit wise. Again.

[quote user="we8wba"]

Funny this is

1.  does he realise if norwich spend money he will probably not be in the side (squad yes - first XI no)

2.  does he realise he probably wont play for better club than norwich ever in his career from now on! i cant personally see him going to say watford, charlton or even teams slighty ahead of you in ipswich and wolves. size wise he will end up with a plymouth at best

3.  is he that good? personally i wouldnt be happy if they said wolves bid 200k for him, i havnt seen him to much but what i have seen of him he just seems ordinary and does nothing different or spectuclar

4. im sure if he left, norwich could find a perfectly capable centre mid to fill in his role

[/quote]

Keep dreaming 200k, people who say he is over rated are morons, he may not be a Gerrard or Lampard, but he is good at this level and has made a massive impact on our season since he has been back.

I want him to stay, but it sure as hell is none of his business what GR gets, its his job to play, its GR job to sort out the money side. And like it has been said, it would be ironic if he were to lose his place to a new signing.