Sign in to follow this  
Unlucky Fried Kitten

Are some of the "Barclay Boys" chants a bit too nasty at times?

I stood in block E of the lower Barclay on Saturday and, quite frankly, was ashamed and embarrassed by some of the bile flung at Barnsley fans during the match. I had a nice chat to a group of Barnsley fans before the game who were friendly pleasant folk, and so maybe this is why I felt quite bad about some of the things shouted by our fans. Don''t misunderstand me, I''m all for good-natured banter between different sets of fans, but to my mind a lot of the banter on Saturday crossed the line into unnecessary hatred and nastiness. I would prefer far more positive chanting supporting our team, rather than so much goading of the opposition - and Ipswich.

Would anybody else agree?

I never have understood that element to watching sport and supporting your team. Good natured banter is one thing but often it does seem to tip over into something else. What I really dont get are the people who have spent lets face it a fortune getting in to watch the match but spend the whole time trying to wind up the opposition fans n dont even seem to watch the match at all.

This is not just a problem here. Unfortunatly it is ingrained in a lot of people as the football mentality.

I went to the England vs Croatia game and whilst walking from the station to the stadium a Croatian fan had his hat taken a flung. He was laughing also and everyone around had a chuckle and he got it back.

However there was a guy stading behind him, probably about mid-30''s, screaming at the guy saying he was a c***, and that he was going to f****** kill him and pulling his hand across his throat. The Croatian guy was just a normal football fan looked bewildered. I thought this was the most discusting thing  had ever seen.  

Your absolutly right JJG, banter is appropriate and fun. But it seems some people just dont have the intelligence and use football to vent sheer anger. 

i used to sit (well stand) there and it is a bit embarrasing at times.

most of the time its very funny but when they get onto racist chants or picking on little kids or old people in the away stand it takes it a little too far, and i was embarrased to be amongst them

you can never have enough chanting about the scum tho!

Have stood in the lower barclay for 15 years and I have never heard anything too bad, but we aren''t in the area closest to the away fans, so can''t always hear what is being chanted.  I have to say anything racist is normally picked up on by the stewards and police who closely monitor the stands via their eye''s in the sky, ok some of the language is a little choice at times, but it''s always been that way.  If you do not like what you hear or see simply move to another area. Not rocket science Im afraid.

[quote user="YellowIce"]

This is not just a problem here. Unfortunatly it is ingrained in a lot of people as the football mentality.

I went to the England vs Croatia game and whilst walking from the station to the stadium a Croatian fan had his hat taken a flung. He was laughing also and everyone around had a chuckle and he got it back.

However there was a guy stading behind him, probably about mid-30''s, screaming at the guy saying he was a c***, and that he was going to f****** kill him and pulling his hand across his throat. The Croatian guy was just a normal football fan looked bewildered. I thought this was the most discusting thing  had ever seen.  

Your absolutly right JJG, banter is appropriate and fun. But it seems some people just dont have the intelligence and use football to vent sheer anger. 

[/quote]

No that sort of behaviour is vile and not what football banter is about. I think it would be nice if we could be more like the rugby crowd, where rival fans mix and have fun. there should always be more mutual respect but I am sure this is asking too much.

[quote user="JaundicedJockGeorgy"]

I stood in block E of the lower Barclay on Saturday and, quite frankly, was ashamed and embarrassed by some of the bile flung at Barnsley fans during the match. I had a nice chat to a group of Barnsley fans before the game who were friendly pleasant folk, and so maybe this is why I felt quite bad about some of the things shouted by our fans. Don''t misunderstand me, I''m all for good-natured banter between different sets of fans, but to my mind a lot of the banter on Saturday crossed the line into unnecessary hatred and nastiness. I would prefer far more positive chanting supporting our team, rather than so much goading of the opposition - and Ipswich.

[/quote]

I sat in the Barclay, but block A, and apart from the ''We Shoot Burgalars'' chant (used to be superb but it''s not really topical anymore) can''t say I heard anything else out of the ordinary. Care to elaborate?

I sit at the back of block D and didn''t hera anything. They were getting very wound up at some of the chanting but as far as I am concerned that was mighty amusing.

Only problem with the Block E lads is that they have no sense of timing as to when to start particular chants and all seem to have the same manic clapping disease which means that every chant they sing is so ridiculously fast you can''t get any proper volume.

As a good case study they should watch/listen to the Spurs fans doing the first verse of "Oh when the spurs go marching in." Some of our lot can''t even get to the end of the first line without moving to hyperspeed!

What was being sung on saturday then?????  We cant comment unless we know what was being sung because I sit at the other side of the ground.

I think it may be and its all I heard was a song about them liking Northerners and we actually hating them and about them singing a song about them going to Wembley, then we told them that they wouldn''t.

Apart from that nowt, I sit in D block and heard diddly squat, we have quite a load area to with plenty of ''singers''

With regards to someone saying he heard racist shouting etc, I ain''t heard a thing in all my years in the Barclay end, not one.

[/quote]

no... makes the football game better and makes it so much better when you get a result. its part of football. you cant take it away

Don''t misunderstand me, I''m all for good-natured banter between different sets of fans, but to my mind a lot of the banter on Saturday crossed the line into unnecessary hatred and nastiness. I would prefer far more positive chanting supporting our team, rather than so much goading of the opposition - and Ipswich.

[/quote]

Yes, I agree with you.

Barnsley''s fans were witty and I really liked them.  Our lot were lost for humour and/or originality.  We don''t have banter, we have thuggery.

"We shoot burglars" - pathetic.

And recent examples of sheer nastiness included "Pardew, you''re a ****" at the Charlton game.  That took the biscuit.

[quote user="Boyo"]What was being sung on saturday then?????  We cant comment unless we know what was being sung because I sit at the other side of the ground.[/quote]

It basically went:

Barnsley: "You''re just a small town in Ipswich"

Norwich: "You dirty northern b*stards"

Barnsley: "You''re just a town full of inbreds"

Norwich: "We shoot burglars"

Barnsley: "What''s it like to, what''s it like to, what''s it like to sh@g your mum?"

Norwich: (embarrassed silence)

Barnsley: (one-nil down) Que sera sera, whatever will be will be, we''re going to Wembley...

Norwich (here''s the witty retort of the century): Que sera sera, whatever will be will be, you''ll never see Wembley...

Barnsley 2, Norwich 0.

All for a bit of banter, humour and wind ups but please no racist, swearing or threatening chants, we are a family club, let''s support the team these are the guys we pay to watch not the away fans.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

[quote user="Boyo"]What was being sung on saturday then?????  We cant comment unless we know what was being sung because I sit at the other side of the ground.[/quote]

It basically went:

Barnsley: "What''s it like to, what''s it like to, what''s it like to sh@g your mum?"

Barnsley: (one-nil down) Que sera sera, whatever will be will be, we''re going to Wembley...

Norwich (here''s the witty retort of the century): Que sera sera, whatever will be will be, you''ll never see Wembley...

Barnsley 2, Norwich 0.

[/quote]

lol is that it??? Sheesh and people got upset over that?  Oh well, different strokes for different folks

Must admit I never really got the ''we shoot burglars'' chant. Great, so Tony Martin shot some kid at point blank range with a shotgun is someone to look up to! (Please don''t let this comment open the floodgates about the rights/wrongs of: a) vigilanteism/defending your own home b) gypsies... Whatever your views on those issues, let''s agree that Tony Martin isn''t someone who should be a folk hero... And as a witty un-topical riposte ''We Shoot Burglars'' is hardly Shakespeare is it!)

OK agreed, there'' is no place for racist chants in football, of which I have heard none at Carra.

But get a life will you !! Chanting and "friendly" abuse are all part of football and I doubt anyone is being malicious.  I mean, how many "inbred" chants have we had sung about us over the years.

As for slagging off the Barclay Boys for not being witty enough and having no imagination.  Well if you think you can do better then stand up and bloody well sing something yourself.  I expect most of these negative comments are from people who regularly sit elsewhere and don''t even sing "On the ball....." Probably because they don''t even know the words!!

Leave the Barclay Boys alone ! Without then Carrow road would be as silent as a graveyard.

Banter and interplay between rival fans is brilliant, and, in some cases, hilarious.

Pointless abuse is un-neccessary but its going to happen wherever there is football and a few thousand blokes (mostly) who just want to puff their chests out and prove they''re the hardest. Has always happened, will always happen.

I can''t remember which game is was (might have been the 4-3 at Southampton towards the end of the season) but when it was all but done and we had lost it, the Saints fans started chanting "going down going down going down" at us, to which some of the Norwich replied "so are we so are we so are we" which quite amused me! Graveyard humour is best at football!

[quote user="Marty"]

No that sort of behaviour is vile and not what football banter is about. I think it would be nice if we could be more like the rugby crowd, where rival fans mix and have fun. there should always be more mutual respect but I am sure this is asking too much.

[/quote]

Why not go the whole hogg and throw in a game of ‘cup & ball at half time and then all off to Mrs Miggins pie shop for a slap up supper after the game when you can all take part in a competition to compare jaunty scarf tying with your trousers round your ankles

Your grasp of reality to put it politely tenuous

What a shame that some idiots still think it''s funny to chant "we shoot 16 year old boys in the back." How can anybody celebrate the killing of a boy no matter what he has done? And I speak as somebody who has had a run in with a burglar in my own house at 5 in the morning. A shameful chant.

[quote user="Bury Green"] the whole hogg and throw in a game of ‘cup & ball at half time and then all off to Mrs Miggins pie shop for a slap up supper after the game when you can all take part in a competition to compare jaunty scarf tying with your trousers round your ankles

[/quote]

LOL!!!

[quote user="Bury Green"][quote user="Marty"]

[/quote]

Why not go the whole hogg and throw in a game of ‘cup & ball at half time and then all off to Mrs Miggins pie shop for a slap up supper after the game when you can all take part in a competition to compare jaunty scarf tying with your trousers round your ankles

[/quote]

So how exactly does wishing for a slightly more respectful banter between fellow supporters (which obviously suits thousands of rugby fans) make my grasp of reality tenuous? OK, I admit that the social backgrounds of football and rugby fans might be slightly different but I do not accept that there should not be similarities in behavious since both sets of fans are actually human!

Oh how in an ideal world everything would be rosey.  Except we don''t live in an ideal world, which is a shame but a reality.

Have heard lots of fans saying they wish football fans were more like rugby fans, all sitting together, being chummy.  It will never work in football because it''s all about the rivalry in the ground.  Outside the ground fans from different clubs mix and chat over a pint (apart from on derby day), but once in the ground it''s all about supporting your team with a passion, and with that comes the banter.  I admit sometimes chants can be abusive and not nice, but it''s all part of the atmosphere, but I have never heard anything too bad at CR and I have always sat in the Barclay Lower.

I would much rather the LB had the fans it does, creating the atmosphere it does rather than the no atmosphere at the RE, maybe once or twice a season I hear a little noise at the RE and almost pass out with shock lol.

Can you imagine us NC fans sitting side by side with binners?  Erm, no it wouldnt happen, ever.

[quote user="Marty"]

So how exactly does wishing for a slightly more respectful banter between fellow supporters (which obviously suits thousands of rugby fans) make my grasp of reality tenuous? OK, I admit that the social backgrounds of football and rugby fans might be slightly different but I do not accept that there should not be similarities in behavious since both sets of fans are actually human!

[/quote]

Well the fans sit together, so there aint too much chanting at Rugby matches, certainly not banter chanting,  I find rugby tedious anyway, let alone the friendly ''supposed'' rivalry...

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

It basically went:

Barnsley 2, Norwich 0.

[/quote]

The worst line there is "You dirty northern bas**ards" which was only sung after a late tackle. Why are you so wound up about it? Maybe another sport is best for you to watch?

[quote user="mickfoot"]What a shame that some idiots still think it''s funny to chant "we shoot 16 year old boys in the back." How can anybody celebrate the killing of a boy no matter what he has done? And I speak as somebody who has had a run in with a burglar in my own house at 5 in the morning. A shameful chant.[/quote]

how can Bolton Fans go to old Trafford and make air plane noises?

How can Man utd Fans go to Anfield and chant about hillsboro and Heysel?

How can Millwall fans sing about fights in the past?

Its football.. im not condoning it.. but if u dont like the chanting best u sit at home listening to Chris Goreham and Neil Adams isnt it.. because it wont go away.

jas :)

[quote user="Marty"][quote user="Bury Green"][quote user="Marty"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

After having read your incessant whining about the Leicester game with all this ‘Fact’ twaddle you ran out you now see fit to suggest we give up one of the most enjoyable aspects of a Saturday afternoon, the singing of rude, offensive and provocative songs at the opposition.

For pity’s sake man you sounded like a scene from the Life of Brian in the Leicester thread and whilst I apologies for the plagiarism you really ought to listen to yourself.

PARVUS:

Shut up, you Jewish t--d!

MR. BIG NOSE:

Who are you calling Jewish?! I''m not Jewish! I''m a Samaritan!

GREGORY:

A Samaritan? This is supposed to be a Jewish section.

PARVUS:

It doesn''t matter! You''re all going to die in a day or two.

GREGORY:

It may not matter to you, Roman, but it certainly matters to us. Doesn''t it, darling?

MRS. GREGORY:

Oh, rather.

GREGORY:

Under the terms of the Roman occupancy, we''re entitled to be crucified in a purely Jewish area

Whilst clearly you are under some misguided belief that football should be taken away from the working man and given to the bl---y Guardianista you seriously want to turn our national sport into some limp wristed watered down excuse bereft of the very things it was built upon? You are far to keen suggest people you neither understand or want to understand are somehow lesser beings than yourself but there again there is nothing very liberal about a supposed Liberal when they don’t agree with you

Now before Marty rocks off on another one of his ‘Fact’ monologues yes I did attend a private school, to avoid any class war accusations, yes I played rugby union for many years but I sure as hell would never want my beloved Carrow Road taking on the atmosphere of a poxy rugby union league match.

What a terrible thought, a Saturday afternoon surrounded by men keen to pour pints of bitter over their herds with their trousers round their ankles whilst partaking in large amounts of hearty back slapping and farting competitions

For heavens sake man you are seriously suggesting the removal of one of the very keystones of the game, does your girlfriend not like it? If it is really that bad why don’t you clear off and watch the rugby there won’t be any Stone Island jackets about