Sign in to follow this  
The Norwich Family!!

Ambition- Town set to sign Nugent

Over rated. Just back from injury, would be okay, but not Alan Shearer Mk II.

The scum also have something to play for, we don''t. Us signing him onloan now would be a waste of cash. We''d get much more value for money from Ched.

Roeder tried to sign Rasiak and Taylor in the window but was unsuccessful. That shows there is cash to spend.

[quote user="The Norwich Family"]Never thought it would happen- not good news!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/7265376.stm
[/quote]

Another one of Babes new friends? [:|]

They are in a good position for the play offs, have a backer with plenty of money and this is their best chance to go up and make themselves £50m + and having a proven championship striker like Nugent will help them achieve that.

We are only 7 pts from the play offs also need a proven experienced striker for that final push but will Delia & Michael or Andrew& Sharon Turner cough up some money, I doubt it!!!!

Could well be the final piece in their promotion jigsaw , just goes to show what a little investment can do for a football club , the last few seasons they have been glad of a freebie or two now they are paying £2million for Norris and signing top players like Nugent .Rather puts all Roeders "coups" in the loan market into perspective .

Well I guess it will give us a chance to decide whether Nugent is any good after all, he certainly didn''t do anything at Pompey before his injury and I''m still to be convinced how good he is - there''s a lot of players who ''fit'' at one side and look better there than anywhere else in their career, never living up to their price tag.  

[quote user="cityangel"]

They are in a good position for the play offs, have a backer with plenty of money and this is their best chance to go up and make themselves £50m + and having a proven championship striker like Nugent will help them achieve that.

We are only 7 pts from the play offs also need a proven experienced striker for that final push but will Delia & Michael or Andrew& Sharon Turner cough up some money, I doubt it!!!!

[/quote]

Nail hit firmly on head Angel, well said, but you''ll be flamed for it!.[:|]

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]Well I guess it will give us a chance to decide whether Nugent is any good after all, he certainly didn''t do anything at Pompey before his injury and I''m still to be convinced how good he is - there''s a lot of players who ''fit'' at one side and look better there than anywhere else in their career, never living up to their price tag.  [/quote]Well said BP - didn''t Ade Akinbiyi go for a substantial sum one time? Wasn''t Mark Robins a prolific Premiership quality striker for one season...?

Well, we can say good bye to Town then, thats them promoted in my view, cracking little player and they have had the cash to go and get him, I would say he would not cost less than 4 million and if they get up to the prem, it will be worth it. And I still think he can make it in the orem, he has had many knockbacks in his career and is a determined player. I would have loved him here but hey ho we don''t and we are in a different circumstances compared to Scum, so lets not get too involved in the ambition side of the argumant.

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We are better than this[:|]

Look at the original post, the username, are you really that envious of them? If I went on their message board and posted like this I''d be "over the moon" if the binners reacted like some of you.

They haven''t signed him yet, I still have my doubts whether they will sign him at all. But if they do sign him he still has to be a success.

Why do some posters always want what other clubs have especially if its that lot. It really is like small children who always want the toys their friends have and not their own and yet would be devastated if theirs were taken away.

What puts Roeders signings into perspective is their performances. Ched Evans has 6 goals in his time here. Since we have been playing Roeders signings we have been out performing that lot week in and week out.

Come on City fans, for goodness sake show some pride.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

They haven''t signed him yet, I still have my doubts whether they will sign him at all. But if they do sign him he still has to be a success.

Why do some posters always want what other clubs have especially if its that lot. It really is like small children who always want the toys their friends have and not their own and yet would be devastated if theirs were taken away.

What puts Roeders signings into perspective is their performances. Ched Evans has 6 goals in his time here. Since we have been playing Roeders signings we have been out performing that lot week in and week out.

Come on City fans, for goodness sake show some pride.[/quote]

Nigel,

I''ll be honest, I am envious that they have the cash to go out and buy a proven striker, that they have gone out and found themselves an investor who is willing to put millions into their club and that their board is more ambitious than ours.

Who wouldn''t be?

CA

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Look at the original post, the username, are you really that envious of them? If I went on their message board and posted like this I''d be "over the moon" if the binners reacted like some of you.

[/quote]

Couldn''t agree more - besides any of this other waffle, I don''t see that Nugent is any better than Evans, imo.

Yes this ambition but Ipswich are pushing for the play offs.  So they need someone like that.  We are also trying for the play offs but we wont get there and if we signed him all he would do is help notch us up a couple of places for the end of the season.

Any way if he had a choice to sign for us or Ipswich he would choose Ipswich every time because they are one piont of the play offs and we are seven points.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="cityangel"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hail St. Nigel of Norfolk [A] standing in the trenches and fighting off those darned closet binners[6].

Grow up nutty.

OTBC

P.S. What on earth will you do with yourself if Ipswich get promotion this year and we don''t? Blame the Ipswich Town FC board? (I don''t really expect an answer).

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Nigel,

I''ll be honest, I am envious that they have the cash to go out and buy a proven striker, that they have gone out and found themselves an investor who is willing to put millions into their club and that their board is more ambitious than ours.

Who wouldn''t be?

CA

[/quote]

But he isn''t proven CA, not for them. He is injured. He has made 11 appearances for Portsmouth all season. Harry Redknapp tried to re-sell him before he''d even played a game in the summer.

Ched Evans has played 17 games for us and scored 6 goals. Since he has been here we have out performed Ipswich week in week out to the extent that the gap between the two clubs is now only 6 points. Ched Evans has shown a desire to play for us, a desire to come back for a second time and has scored some wonderful goals. He deserves some respect back from the fans.

If we had Nugent and they went to Man City and secured Evans on loan many of you lot would be on here complaining that we were getting journeymen while they had the ambition to go get young hungry players who wanted to play for them.

The grass is not always greener on the other side.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

P.S. What on earth will you do with yourself if Ipswich get promotion this year and we don''t? Blame the Ipswich Town FC board? (I don''t really expect an answer).

[/quote]

I''ll tell you what I''ll do babes. If they get promoted this year I won''t react to any of your attention seeking drivel the whole time they are in the Premier League. But when they don''t you leave me alone for the whole time they are in the Championship. Do we have a deal?

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Nigel,

Who wouldn''t be?

CA

[/quote]

Have they bought Nugent ca? What I''ve been reading suggests it''s a loan. Hardly a "generous loan" on Portsmouth''s part or a nailed-on benefit for Ipswich given that Nugent is still working his way back to fitness, at a time when there''s only 12 games to go. The other point about Ipswich having "found" an investor willing to put millions in to the club has been well covered previously. He was the only investor interested after a year-long search. He acquired the club for a relatively small risk in order to see if a large benefit can be achieved by making the Premiership. If he was a investor with a real long-term interest in Ipswich Town FC then he would have put more money in to acquire better players and improve their odds of making it this season or, failing that, next season. This would have raised his ratio of investment to return to an uncomfortable level with promotion not guaranteed, which is probably why he didn''t pursue that course.  The probability of Ipswich making the Premiership is by no means certain. It''s highly probable that they won''t get one of the automatic spots. It''s even possible they won''t make the play-offs and, if they do, only one of the four teams is going to go up. Evans is rolling the dice but that''s what it is for him....a gamble. If the gamble doesn''t come off I would not be at all surprised to see Evans abandon ship. He might be inclined to hang around for the first half of next season but, if it becomes apparent the Premiership is not going to happen IMO he''ll be gone. This is a different type of investor than what Norwich has, which are people who are there for the longer term.

Who knows what will happen? It will all become clear in 8-9 weeks, and maybe sooner. However, if Ipswich and Norwich both remain in the Championship at the end of the season I know which club, from a financial perspective. I would rather head into the summer with.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="cityangel"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Nigel,

Who wouldn''t be?

CA

[/quote]

Have they bought Nugent ca? What I''ve been reading suggests it''s a loan. Hardly a "generous loan" on Portsmouth''s part or a nailed-on benefit for Ipswich given that Nugent is still working his way back to fitness, at a time when there''s only 12 games to go. The other point about Ipswich having "found" an investor willing to put millions in to the club has been well covered previously. He was the only investor interested after a year-long search. He acquired the club for a relatively small risk in order to see if a large benefit can be achieved by making the Premiership. If he was a investor with a real long-term interest in Ipswich Town FC then he would have put more money in to acquire better players and improve their odds of making it this season or, failing that, next season. This would have raised his ratio of investment to return to an uncomfortable level with promotion not guaranteed, which is probably why he didn''t pursue that course.  The probability of Ipswich making the Premiership is by no means certain. It''s highly probable that they won''t get one of the automatic spots. It''s even possible they won''t make the play-offs and, if they do, only one of the four teams is going to go up. Evans is rolling the dice but that''s what it is for him....a gamble. If the gamble doesn''t come off I would not be at all surprised to see Evans abandon ship. He might be inclined to hang around for the first half of next season but, if it becomes apparent the Premiership is not going to happen IMO he''ll be gone. This is a different type of investor than what Norwich has, which are people who are there for the longer term.

Who knows what will happen? It will all become clear in 8-9 weeks, and maybe sooner. However, if Ipswich and Norwich both remain in the Championship at the end of the season I know which club, from a financial perspective. I would rather head into the summer with.

[/quote]

Yep, Yankee, for the long term in the Championship so far - and with very few tilts at the ''big time'' in a 12 year span..

But they seem to have got in our best manager since Martin O''Neil, so if they can put together a decent transfer budget in the summer and hang on to Glenn & his team, who knows? The possibilities are certainly there, but do our lot have the balls to run with it? I still have serious doubts. 

And yep, I wouldn''t disagree with the sentiments in your last paragraph.

OTBC

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

I''ll tell you what I''ll do babes. If they get promoted this year I won''t react to any of your attention seeking drivel the whole time they are in the Premier League. But when they don''t you leave me alone for the whole time they are in the Championship. Do we have a deal?

[/quote]

[:''(][:''(][:''(]

You like to dish it out nigel, but you can''t take it.

If you can''t stand the heat then stay out of the kitchen.

[:''(][:''(][:''(]

OTBC

.....I don''t think it''s a good loan for them. He''s really prone to injuries and I reckon he''s lost his bottle. My bookmaker friend in Ipswich is convinced he''ll be injured first match (tripping over a rake or hoe - those plucky farm hands) and thinks P''mouth are tickling the binners potatoes. Remember, why did he sign for Derby in the summer for about a week then sign for  P''mouth.

How much have they paid for Nugent for 12 games - my guess is around £500K. Will be well spent if it works, but IMHO would not be wise for us to use that sort of money now rather than the Summer. Heres the quote from Portsmouth, and knowing how Harry works, Pompey will have squeezed as much money out of Ipswich as possible   -   It''s a good deal for us financially too which is important. "Chief executive Peter Storrie has been dealing with their chairman (David Sheepshanks) and they have made a good offer. "Lots of clubs have asked about taking David, but Ipswich are the only ones to come forward with a decent offer.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

When it comes to financial spend in the summer I have serious doubts over how much Roeder will get.  The quibbling over 250K which cost us the opportunity to sign an excellent proven defender at this level for an extremely reasonable price of 1 million puts our budget into perspective.

It is a real shame these loanees are not for sale.  And I cannot see us push the boat out stoke style to pick one up.

[/quote]

When it comes to financial spend in the summer I have serious doubts over how much Roeder will get.  The quibbling over 250K which cost us the opportunity to sign an excellent proven defender at this level for an extremely reasonable price of 1 million puts our budget into perspective.

It is a real shame these loanees are not for sale.  And I cannot see us push the boat out stoke style to pick one up.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]  And I cannot see us push the boat out stoke style to pick one up.[/quote]

It''s only my opinion, and as such I stand to be proved wrong, but I don''t believe the Stoke way is the way to go. I am coming round to believing that what Roeder is doing here could the way forward. I guess it all depends on how much money Stoke have for next season if they are promoted but I doubt the players they have there now are good enough to be much better than Derby are in the Premiership.

Different types of player are needed to get out of this league, I think we all agree with that. So maybe if they are loan signings that get you up it''s easier to assemble a new team for when you arrive. So I am beginning to think loan one type to get out of this, then loan another type when you arrive and then gradually build a team of permanents as the big money comes in. What would help is if the academy produced a few more along the way.

Once again we are on about the £250K "we didn''t spend on Taylor". Do any of you spend more than you value an item for? I doubt it. We are managing quite well without Taylor at present and have achieved what most of us would have settled for a month or two ago. Munby has stated that they will back Roeder this summer to build the right team that Roeder wants. Just for once give them a chance, they have admitted mistakes and are trying to put right the wrongs made. Do you really need someone to hate that badly or is it a continuos winge for the sake of it.Yes we have all been disapointed in the past BUT IMO the prospects look better now than for many years.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]  And I cannot see us push the boat out stoke style to pick one up.[/quote]

It''s only my opinion, and as such I stand to be proved wrong, but I don''t believe the Stoke way is the way to go. I am coming round to believing that what Roeder is doing here could the way forward. I guess it all depends on how much money Stoke have for next season if they are promoted but I doubt the players they have there now are good enough to be much better than Derby are in the Premiership.

Different types of player are needed to get out of this league, I think we all agree with that. So maybe if they are loan signings that get you up it''s easier to assemble a new team for when you arrive. So I am beginning to think loan one type to get out of this, then loan another type when you arrive and then gradually build a team of permanents as the big money comes in. What would help is if the academy produced a few more along the way.

[/quote]

I definatley agree loan players are the way forward.  In our case however, much of the need for these guys has come from having a poor squad to start off  with, and taking 7 has meant some players are going to be disappointed.  But it has worked, results prove that.

In Stoke''s defense they have used the loan market however:

PlayerFromStartEnd
Stephen WrightSunderland03-08-200703-01-2008
Ryan ShawcrossMan Utd09-08-200716-01-2008
Jody CraddockWolves17-08-200719-09-2007
Gabriel ZakuaniFulham31-08-2007 
Leon CortC Palace02-11-200713-01-2008
Danny PughPreston02-11-200714-01-2008
Paul GallagherBlackburn31-01-2008 
Marton FulopSunderland22-02-2008 

last season even more so

PlayerFromStartEnd
Jeff WhitleyCardiff18-08-200601-10-2006
Andy GriffinPortsmouth08-09-200607-05-2007
Lee HendrieAston Villa29-09-200601-01-2007
Salif DiaoLiverpool10-10-200624-01-2007
Rory DelapSunderland11-10-200611-11-2006
Liam LawrenceSunderland17-11-200601-01-2007
Patrik BergerAston Villa23-11-200601-01-2007
Lee MartinMan Utd25-01-200707-05-2007
Lee HendrieAston Villa30-01-200707-05-2007
Gabriel ZakuaniFulham30-01-200707-05-2007
Johnathan FortuneCharlton31-01-200702-03-2007
Johnathan FortuneCharlton09-03-200707-05-2007
Jon ParkinHull City09-03-200707-05-2007

Also note they have purchased some of the players taken on loan in Diao, Lawrence, Cort, Pugh and Shawcross.

[quote user="YankeeCanary "]

Have they bought Nugent ca? What I''ve been reading suggests it''s a loan. Hardly a "generous loan" on Portsmouth''s part or a nailed-on benefit for Ipswich given that Nugent is still working his way back to fitness, at a time when there''s only 12 games to go.[/quote]

No they havent bought him Yankee but I understand the loan could be made permanent in June if both sides agree.

The other point about Ipswich having "found" an investor willing to put millions in to the club has been well covered previously. He was the only investor interested after a year-long search. gone. [/quote]

Yes but thats my point Yankee at least they searched for an investor be it short term or long term.

This is a different type of investor than what Norwich has, which are people who are there for the longer term.[/quote]

How do we know that Yankee? Delia says she''s willing to hand over the reins if the right investor approaches us, the Turners arrive who I believe may want to take the reins ,but will Delia ever let go We don''t know that the Turners are in it for long term do we, cause they''ve gone very quiet.

[/quote]

No we don''t know what will happen but we have seen time and time again over the past few years that the board puts prudence before ambition, what makes you think that will ever change?

Also if the board had handed over about £6m in January and we had bought 4 experienced players(striker, left back, midfielder, central defender) instead of the 7 loanees in the January window would we be perhaps more optimistic about making the play offs now?

Just seems to be that they are more ambitious down the road with them actively seeking an investor and then buying the likes of Quinn, Norris,  Sumulikoski and now Nugent.

I still think that Roeder is absolutely the right man for the job but aren''t 100% convinced that the board will back him adequately in the Summer.

Don''t know what they''ve spent on Loans since Jan 1, but interesting to see that Stoke spent £931,900 on Agents Fees in last 6 months of 2007, only topped by Leicester at £1,067,000 in Championship, and we spent £155,200 in same period. Just goes to prove, comparing Stoke to Leicester that its not how much you spend but how...