Sign in to follow this  
The ghost of Michael Theoklitos

Ched Evans - more than just wonder goals!

OK, we all saw yesterday what Ched Evans is capable of. He is clearly a class act, and has been instrumental to our change in this years fortune. The more I think about it though, I believe the Ched Evans effect in the squad might go a little bit further than putting the ball in the back of the net. I can''t help but think that Ched Evans is going to have a positive effect on the rest of the quad, especially Chris Martin.

We all saw the potential of Martin this time last year, and reading between the lines of what has been said by Roeder since he has come in, it seams pretty apparent Martin has been struggling this year with the attitude and maturity required to be able to perform at the top level. Enter Ched Evans. A guy around the same age as Martin, arguably with more talent and potential, and from what I gather from Roeders comments today, he alsy appears to have the character required to succeed in the game.

Roeder said: "He is overall a very sensible young man and I don''t think his feet will come off the ground. That is how he will go on improving and go on scoring goals."

I sincerely hope that this can have a knock-on effect to young Martin. If Chris is watching Evans put in good performances on the pitch as a result of a grounded attitude off, Martin might be able to pick up a few good habits and challenge for a first team shirt. I don''t think its a coincidence that Martins recent good form with the Reserves has happened the same time as Cheds good form coming back for his second loan stint. Martin has to be thinking "anything he can do I can do better".

Tuesdays team selection will be very interesting. I doubt Dublin will be able to back up after Saturdays game, so will most likely take a place on the bench. Therefore, assuming Roeder is going to play 4-4-2 (which he should at home), the only options he has to partner Evans up front is to play Huckerby as a striker, or have promote Martin to the starting lineup. Personally, I dunno how either one will work without a big man up front, but each option will result in a pretty pacy front combination.

I think it will be interesting to see what Roeder does.

I think there`s a lot to what you say Norfolk. The problem we have is if a good accadamy player gets into the first team and has a few good games, like Chris did last year, he becomes an instant hero. If he had been at a Premiership club surrounded by big names he would have been kept in his place. Because Norfolk is a relatively small community, everyones attention is on a "local lad made good," this is quite understandable, but in fact has the negative effect of making the youngster believe he`s a lot bigger and better than he really is. All the attitude problems then follow. I know that Ryan Jarvis used to swan around Colney as if he was gods gift and it sounds as if Chris does the same. At Man U for example the youngsters are surrounded by greats, they are in a big City and there isn`t the same instant hero effect. You cant blame Chris, if the local press are building you up then you must surely tend to believe it when you are 18 yrs old. The challenge for us is to bring good young talent into the team without the pressure of fans and local press blowing their heads up and ruining their work ethic.I hope Chris will learn from the Ched experience and work hard to deliver his full potential, no doubt Glen is the right man to save him!

Excellent threat... Martin will go one of two ways... he''ll either see what''s happening and change for the better... or he''ll react in a teenage way and become even more arrogant and somewhat disillusioned... he''ll probably drop a couple of leagues, then fire his way back up in his 20s when he matures out.

However, i''d like to think that he''d sort himself out now, so that we can benefit from his obvious talent. I''m sure we can pull him in line, especially with the likes of Roeder, Huckerby, and Dublin around him. Surely he can see the benefits of amendment... Ched Evans is the prime example. I''m sure there''s jealousy there, Martin is no longer kid fantastic... but we can only hope he''s mature enough to understand the statement Roeder is sending.

he looks cracking player

norwich must do there best to try and secure long term deal or at worst season long loan next year! only threat is if team such as fulham stay up and loan him

looks cracking prospect who could easily be sold on for big money in future or have the fire power to get you promoted next season

he is the only loan player i really rate at norwich, and boy dont i rate him after seeing him few times lol

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]I think there`s a lot to what you say Norfolk. The problem we have is if a good accadamy player gets into the first team and has a few good games, like Chris did last year, he becomes an instant hero. If he had been at a Premiership club surrounded by big names he would have been kept in his place. Because Norfolk is a relatively small community, everyones attention is on a "local lad made good," this is quite understandable, but in fact has the negative effect of making the youngster believe he`s a lot bigger and better than he really is. All the attitude problems then follow. I know that Ryan Jarvis used to swan around Colney as if he was gods gift and it sounds as if Chris does the same. At Man U for example the youngsters are surrounded by greats, they are in a big City and there isn`t the same instant hero effect. You cant blame Chris, if the local press are building you up then you must surely tend to believe it when you are 18 yrs old. The challenge for us is to bring good young talent into the team without the pressure of fans and local press blowing their heads up and ruining their work ethic.I hope Chris will learn from the Ched experience and work hard to deliver his full potential, no doubt Glen is the right man to save him![/quote]I think that''s a brilliant post. I am personally very frustrated with Martin''s lack of progress this year, but after reading your post I am a bit more understanding. Let''s hope he comes good. Certainly Roeder''s pedigree with young players bodes well.