Sign in to follow this  
......and Smith must score.

The minutes silence today at Old Trafford

I must confess that I''ve little time for the modern Man Utd and all it''s arrogance but it was nice to see that the minutes silence for the 1958 Munich victims was impeccably observed  by the Man City fans before today''s derby match at Old Trafford

It seemed madness to pair these arch enemies together for such a solemn occasion. Having been in Utd''s shadow for so long it seemed inevitable there would be at least some disruption so well done to the Eastlands outfit.

Couldn''t help enjoying their 2-1 win. A nice reward for their patience ...... 

agreed, mancity fans behaviour was top notch, i was expecting at least few stupid fans to start noises!

and what a result my many mates of manutd heard all about it! got to admit utd fans dont sing, its truly like being in highbury the library

The Man City fans can hold their heads high. A great result too. Man City fans showed the man u fans what being real fans is about. Blue Moon!!!!......

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."]Had it been the other way round, you can be sure the United fans would not have respected it so well![/quote]

I''m disappointed by this attitude. I do not have any doubt that any set of fans in the UK would respect a minutes silence in memory of people who lost their lives in a tragedy.

Tragedies such as Munich transcend football, and I find it quite sad that there is a belief that somehow football fans in this day and age are too mindless to understand the concept of tragedy. If we were called upon to observe a minutes silence out of respect for a tragedy at Portman Road I would very surprised if we were found to have a lack of respect.

Your comments on Manchester United fans, in my opinion, does them quite an injustice.

Cheers

Tickers

make a valid point, but im sure there would be 1% manutd fans who are complete idiots. im sure if it was a heated game such as leeds v manutd either team wouldnt respect it fully.

especially leeds fans, i would bet my house they wouldnt respect munich if it was them playing manutd

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

It seemed madness to pair these arch enemies together for such a solemn occasion. 

[/quote]

I thought it was a great fixture to have, as there are households in Manchester with divided support for their teams, and it is nice that Manchester as a whole (or should that be hole) could unite their grief.

I think it was a wonderful gesture by the pitchfork jugglers at poorman road to stage a 91 minute silence on saturday.Mind you that''s pretty much par for the course at the suffolk workhouse so I doubt anyone noticed the difference.

[quote user="Tickers"]

[quote user="Mark Rivers..."]Had it been the other way round, you can be sure the United fans would not have respected it so well![/quote]

I''m disappointed by this attitude. I do not have any doubt that any set of fans in the UK would respect a minutes silence in memory of people who lost their lives in a tragedy.

[/quote]

You obviously didn''t watch the England match last week then when some fans heckled during the Munich minute silence.  Hard to believe but true. 

[quote user="LeedsYellow"][quote user="Tickers"]

[/quote]

You obviously didn''t watch the England match last week then when some fans heckled during the Munich minute silence.  Hard to believe but true. 

[/quote]

cheers for the back up, but im sure he wont reply now

as to ipswich comment, that made me chuckle and i dont even dislike them lol

Good to see that the City fans didn''t disrupt the silence.Is there any more eloquent comment on modern football than the fact that the ''fans'' at Old Trafford had to be given complimentary scarves to hold in the air yesterday?

reading the Sun today , they reviewed a programme that has just started on ITV4 called - the Big Match revisted - Sunday afternoons highlights show before Live matches etc , According to them the featured games were SPurs versus someone , and Man Utd vs the suffolk Mob . This game was played on the 25th anniversary of Munich and had no silence , no commeratitve kits , no wreaths just black armbands won by Man Utd only - I suppose they didn;t need to do an effort with 1 to 11 as the shirts already were

I appreciate the 50 year anniversary is a big one , but if teh 25th was marked in as low key manner as that then why the big hullaballo over the 50th 

It was funny on Radio Five to hear them say , they piper is playing Flowers of Manchester , lets listen to that - but all that could be heard was " blue Moon " 

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Is there any more eloquent comment on modern football than the fact that the ''fans'' at Old Trafford had to be given complimentary scarves to hold in the air yesterday?[/quote]Which they are now selling on eBay for 5k each...

I don''t recall heckling during the England match, sorry. I''ve tried looking for a video of it but I can''t find any. International matches will be different as the tragedy was for United and not universal, also sadly there''s a bit more anonymity for the small number who may heckle. But sorry I don''t recall it.

[quote user="we8wba"]cheers for the back up, but im sure he wont reply now

as to ipswich comment, that made me chuckle and i dont even dislike them lol

[/quote]

You, sir, I thought a troll since your opening response was

[quote user="we8wba"]make a valid point, but im sure there would be 1% manutd fans who are complete idiots[/quote]

You conceeded a point before blithely making the same assertion about united fans being unable to show a mark of respect. Given United have the actual experience of the tragedy of Munich I would be incredibly surprised that they would themselves ruin a memorial at another club. Rather than applaud Manchester City fans for showing proper respect you have chosen to attack Manchester United fans for being apparently unable to show the same. Not only is this attack impossible to disprove (since we thankfully have a genuine lack of football related tragedies to mourn every week) it flies in the face of the general evidence that when called upon football fans are able to transcend the pettiness and show respect to a club that is marking a tragedy, such as:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gURiuq926tE

Liverpool playing the Z-cars anthem while Rhys Jones'' family stand on the touchline in Everton gear. I still find the image of the Liverpool fan holding up his scarf quite moving.

Or how about here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZrVfMRyoE0

That''s Milan and Madrid having a memorial six minutes into their match following the Hillsborough disaster in 1989. A large section of Milan fans started signing ''You''ll never walk alone''  in tribute.

To hijack a thread congratulating Manchester City fans on their observation just so you can criticise Manchester United fans on the basis of pure speculation of their lack of empathy or cognitave ability is pretty pathetic.

Cheers

Tickers

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]Good to see that the City fans didn''t disrupt the silence.

Is there any more eloquent comment on modern football than the fact that the ''fans'' at Old Trafford had to be given complimentary scarves to hold in the air yesterday?
[/quote]

What, they didn''t take a scarf to the ground with them?  Call themselves proper fans?

They were 1958-era scarves.  City fans got given them too.

If there''s an eloquent comment on modern football, it was that one team played in an old-style kit without a sponsor or names on their shirts, and got stuffed by the millionaires who had both.

Am I the only one who finds it sad that people are congratulating football fans on keeping their mouths shut for one minute? Is it really that difficult to do for a lot of people?

Obviously it''s pretty damn difficult for England fans, as a previous poster has pointed out.

I never doubted the City fans. They are some of the nicest, loadest and proudest footy fans I''ve had the pleasure of meeting.

Is it just me...but the thought of trying to make money on the back of this tragedy is sickening.

Yesterday I almost liked united ...thinking of their history and what the club went through and yes the minute slience was almost moving.......but then to see what I guess are united fans selling the scarf they were given on ebay leaves a sour taste i am afraid.

They should be ASHAMED!!!!!!!!!