Sign in to follow this  
Fozzie

All this "can we do it?" rubbish...

I know there are many people out there who don''t want to build up hope of a play-off place incase we get our hopes up for a big dissapointment in the end.  I also understand Glenn wanting to keep the psychological advantage that is being the underdog fighting for it''s life.However, I feel there are reasons why we HAVE to reach the play-offs this year while we still can.

1 -  Dion Dublin is retiring at the end of the season, and if we were

able to reach the play offs, and even the final then it would be the

best retirement gift the team and the fans could give the man after

such a career.

2 -  A few who were against Glenn''s appointment at the beginning claimed

that he gets his teams relegated in his second season.  Great! Lets get

relegated from the prem next season!

3 -  It''s still possible we could have an East Anglian derby at Wembley this year.  Would be an amazing spectacle for all involved and the many neutrals around the world who''ll be watching and EA derby for the first time in the most valuable single match in the world of football.4 - With Ipswich not likely to reach an automatic promotion spot this year, if we managed to win the play-offs it would be the biggest kick the collective crotches of all involved in ITFC since TOTL@PR.  Maybe Marcus Evans would have to re-evaluate his assetsif they were pipped by a dead ''n buried team with no-where near £12m of investments likely in the near future.Just a rambling thought while I bash away at my board of keys before work.

This, and next season, no matter where we finish, will be a period of transition for the club.

We must allow Glenn to build his own squad, and allow him the time he needs to create a good team. Dion retiring will be a major blow, and we must not only find a replacement, but we must, I feel, bring in someone of his experience, this is paramount for me.

We could be on the edge of something special with Glenn, all we can do is support the side and see where it takes us.

Cannot see Ipswich and Norwich both being in the play offs , looking at the table it seems the top 5 have opened up a healthy gap with about 8 or 9 clubs left to fight over that final 6th place .

[quote user="The Drop"]Cannot see Ipswich and Norwich both being in the play offs , looking at the table it seems the top 5 have opened up a healthy gap with about 8 or 9 clubs left to fight over that final 6th place .[/quote]

True but we are the form team in the league, so stand a chance of the last team being us (long as we beat ip**** and finnish above them) , cant see why it wouldnt be us (fingers crossed)

I''ll admit I was one of those who couldn''t bring myself to think we could do it. But if we keep having weekends like this one, where we win a very tough away game and just about every other game goes our way, there''s no reason why it can''t happen.  I just don''t want to be disappointed about anything this year.  What GR has done (and the BOARD for hiring him) has been remarkable, and I''d like to be happy in May regardless of what happens this year.  If we do make it to the playoff final, though, I will be flying in from New York for it, that''s for sure.

how about

hucks and dublin likely to be gone

7 loaness sent back

leaves norwich with squad of marshall, docherty, cureton, russell and not to many others. obviously you may sign these loaness

but norwich teams future is so unstable in either league until such deals or players decisions are confrimed 100%

[quote user="we8wba"]

how about

7 loaness sent back

leaves norwich with squad of marshall, docherty, cureton, russell and not to many others. obviously you may sign these loaness

but norwich teams future is so unstable in either league until such deals or players decisions are confrimed 100%

[/quote]From where I''m sitting the only thing I can see ''unstable'' is you mate.   [;)]

[quote user="we8wba"]

how about

7 loaness sent back

[/quote]

Why are you so worried about our team?

[quote user="we8wba"]

how about

7 loaness sent back

[/quote]

Just think, by 10pm on Tuesday night this "unstable team" are going to be sitting above your massive club in the table!

Wonder if you''ll be so quick to criticise then?.......... Yeah, probably................. no stopping you really is there.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="we8wba"]

how about

7 loaness sent back

[/quote]

[/quote]

Because we will be overtaking his very soon

[quote user="Mook"]getting promoted "too soon" has worked wonders for Derby, hasn''t it?![/quote]

True. But they did have half the season under Davies whose limited hoofball tactics were found out badly in the premier league. Similar handicap to us starting this season under Grant, imo.

Fact - mathematically we have a chance of getting into the play offs

Fact - Mathematically we can still get relegated!

(Just hope the team maintains current form and luck by just taking each game as it comes!)

Fact - No such thing as getting promoted too soon - I''ll take it if we have a chance! 

Maybe I should just make it clear that I''m not saying we will, or even should get into the play offs.  Just pointing out why I think reaching such a position this year could mean more for the club/players/supporters than next year.

[quote user="cityangel"][quote user="we8wba"]

how about

7 loaness sent back

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hmm... why don''t we talk about the Wolves result?

They conceded - 4, was it?

This is quite amazing - it seems to me that people who had us down as complete certainties for relegation in November are now saying that we can''t afford to miss out on promotion, and the multitude of "I''ll settle for 4th bottom" type comments that were being made by all and sundry have been long forgotten. 

It is of course a measure of how far and how quickly we have recovered under GR, but I do wonder if a lot of people are building themselves for a huge fall should we now miss out: where once we would be happy to scrape by with a draw on the final day some are now almost expectating a top 6 finish.   I want us to get to the play-offs as much as the next person, but it should not be classed as a failure should we now miss out - the sides above us are there for a reason: pulling yourself out of the bottom half is one thing as you are helped by the sides around you losing most of the time, but it is another to catch and overtake those at the top.

im not, im not saying the club isnt doing great job or anything on those lines, just saying if you dont secure the loans as perm deals where do norwich stand in 6months time? will be intresting, even if promotion is gained you would need a whole new squad with no basis bar marshall in most likely hood

If we went up, didn''t try to stay there, got battered and came back with the 60m pretty much intact, payoff all the debt asnd then spent the remaining 35 million on going back immeadiately we''d be laughing. In fact we''d be richer than the scum, even if Evens does what he says.If we go up with the current squad and blow the 60 mill trying to stay there then we would likely be much worse off than we are now as we would probably fail.Strange really.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

This is quite amazing - it seems to me that people who had us down as complete certainties for relegation in November are now saying that we can''t afford to miss out on promotion, and the multitude of "I''ll settle for 4th bottom" type comments that were being made by all and sundry have been long forgotten. 

It is of course a measure of how far and how quickly we have recovered under GR, but I do wonder if a lot of people are building themselves for a huge fall should we now miss out: where once we would be happy to scrape by with a draw on the final day some are now almost expectating a top 6 finish.   I want us to get to the play-offs as much as the next person, but it should not be classed as a failure should we now miss out - the sides above us are there for a reason: pulling yourself out of the bottom half is one thing as you are helped by the sides around you losing most of the time, but it is another to catch and overtake those at the top.

[/quote]

Agreed totally. I don''t think anyone could have imagined how quickly we have recovered, but bearing in mind everyone would have taken 21st not so long ago I hope no-one gets too disappointed should we miss out on a top six finish.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

[/quote]

Don''t think anyone is saying it will be a disappointment if we don''t make the playoffs. Every NCFC fan I have spoken to will be happy with a mid table finish this year given the season we have had. However, what we are saying it that it is entirely possible that we could get in the playoffs as we are only 4 points off with 15 games left. This beingt he case we may as well have a crack at it. If people are saying otherwise then they are basically saying we should not try to win every game we have left which is a stupid attitude. I don''t buy the "its too soon to go up" line either. For some teams who are building a team that may be true but the fact is we haven''t even started building our team and won''t til the summer. With Dion and Hucks likely to leave and the loanees going back we will need to bring in 8-10 players next summer anyway (although I would hope we may be able to get a couple of the loanees back on season long loans if they do well). I''d rather have the £30million prem tv cash to do that than have to do it on a shoestring.

If nothing else our turnaround in fortunes has put us firmly back on the football map.  We are a major player in this league and now we are starting to show why.  This will allow us to attract a better quality of footballer.

The squad next season, regardless of what league we will be in will be ridiculously thin.  But we have seen a willingness from top flight managers to let there talented youngsters come here on loan.  Ryan Bertrand has stated that he doesn''t want to go back to reserve football, fingers crossed that maybe we could keep him here; either on loan again or as a permanent signing.  Ched Evans is an exceptional talent, can Man City afford to give him the next phase of his development, premier league football?  I don''t think they can, they need ready made talent in that area and can afford to/and will buy it.  Ched on a permanent, we can dream can''t we.

I reckon this revival and the fact that the squad will be thin next season is possibly one of the best things that could have happened to this club.  It gives us the perfect starting platform for complete rebuilding, something nigh on impossible if you have a squad of 30+.

Glen Roeder has been a really pleasant suprise for me.  I think the future for our club could look very bright indeed.

I shall still be happy with survival this season despite the continuing revival in our fortunes under Glenn''s excellent stewardship. Having said that, I will be massively disappointed if we conspire to slide back down the table now after all the hard work that''s been put in to reach 13th spot. I now see relegation as an unlikely prospect, although promotion is still quite a tall order.  I feel there is still a lot of work to do to achieve one of those precious play off spots, though. I''m rather superstitious about talking about play offs at the moment, since a certain amount of luck has gone our way on this excellent run of 12 games unbeaten. The bit is that we are bound to lose a game at some point and then the test will be; can we bounce straight back from a disappointing result. You never know your luck!

[quote user="7rew"]If we went up, didn''t try to stay there, got battered and came back with the 60m pretty much intact, payoff all the debt asnd then spent the remaining 35 million on going back immeadiately we''d be laughing. In fact we''d be richer than the scum, even if Evens does what he says.

If we go up with the current squad and blow the 60 mill trying to stay there then we would likely be much worse off than we are now as we would probably fail.

Strange really.

[/quote]

I''m laughing already. As if our board would actually spend 60 mill on staying in the Premiership. Or 35 million on trying to get back again. Where have you been for the past four years?

[quote user="Jim Smith"][quote user="Branston Pickle"]

[/quote]

Don''t think anyone is saying it will be a disappointment if we don''t make the playoffs. Every NCFC fan I have spoken to will be happy with a mid table finish this year given the season we have had. However, what we are saying it that it is entirely possible that we could get in the playoffs as we are only 4 points off with 15 games left. This beingt he case we may as well have a crack at it. If people are saying otherwise then they are basically saying we should not try to win every game we have left which is a stupid attitude. I don''t buy the "its too soon to go up" line either. For some teams who are building a team that may be true but the fact is we haven''t even started building our team and won''t til the summer. With Dion and Hucks likely to leave and the loanees going back we will need to bring in 8-10 players next summer anyway (although I would hope we may be able to get a couple of the loanees back on season long loans if they do well). I''d rather have the £30million prem tv cash to do that than have to do it on a shoestring.

[/quote]

And don''t you think that waiting until the summer to build our team is leaving it a bit late in the day?

Where are the new players to come from? The freeloaders from the teams passing us on the way down? Imports from Eastern Europe? Haven''t we been here already?

Our current loanees? Don''t you think that premiership teams are less likely to loan us players if they see us as competitors?

Can you see our board splashing out on big money to deepen the squad, which would be changing the habits of the past ten years.

A few good results and you''re all carried away. Get real.

Not getting carried away. Just saying its a possibility that we could make the playoffs and I don''t agree that if we went up it would be a disaster as we would be able to build a better team as a premiership club than we would if still in the champ with no cash!

Given the current state of our squad we have no choice but to build our team in the summer so I don''t really see what your first point is.

" A few good results and you''re all carried away. Get real."Yes, it''s called football. I tend to get carried away after we score a goal never mind worrying about the summer.Maybe you might like to consider those responsible for getting us from 3 points adrift at the bottom to four points off the playoffs may be capable of dealing with that scenario when it comes. Or explain why you think we would be competitors to premiership clubs.Or better still go off and see if you can locate the missing Fudger, Widdle, Dicardo and Narrow man. When you do I''m sure you''ll have lots to talk about.

It is never a disaster to get promoted.  It is an opportunity, some clubs balls it up, others take the opportunity and improve.

ASs for our chances this season, I would say all the below clubs are fighting for 6th spot at the moment and all capable of obtaining it.   Even managerless Coventry are only 7 points behind if they were to win their game in hand.  We have been on a good run, and need it to continue.

6Ipswich Town 31 12 9 10 48 40 45 8
7Crystal Palace 31 11 12 8 37 31 45 6
8Hull City 30 12 9 9 37 34 45 3
9Burnley 31 11 11 9 40 39 44 1
10Plymouth Argyle 31 11 10 10 37 32 43 5
11Cardiff City 31 11 10 10 42 40 43 2
12Wolves 31 11 10 10 30 34 43 -4
13NORWICH CITY 31 11 8 12 31 36 41 -5
14Barnsley 31 10 10 11 37 46 40 -9
15QPR 31 10 9 12 40 45 39 -5
16Blackpool 31 9 11 11 40 40 38 0
17Sheffield United 31 9 11 11 34 36 38 -2