Sign in to follow this  
Cheerio

Plastic pitches at next world cup?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/7239653.stmSouth Africa is going to be a disaster if we''re lucky, a bloodbath if we''re notFIFA, The FA, The Premiere League. All as bad as each other

[quote] [quote] All a bit academic really as we''re unlikely to qualify

[/quote]

Speak for yourself!

[/quote]

Ok.
All a bit academic really as I''m unlikely to qualify

It sounds like a disaster but there is time yet. Greece got the Olympics sorted despite many doubters. As for qualifiaction, England will be there, no doubt whatsover. Capello will not fail on that one, will he take us on to win it? I wouldn''t rule it out.

OTBC

[quote user="Warminster Yellow"]

It sounds like a disaster but there is time yet. Greece got the Olympics sorted despite many doubters. As for qualifiaction, England will be there, no doubt whatsover. Capello will not fail on that one, will he take us on to win it? I wouldn''t rule it out.

OTBC

[/quote]

Looking at the quality of younger English players, I don''t feel it is cut and dried as yet. 

Is it just the top finisher and then play-offs for the second place teams?

FIFA World Cup European Qualifying : Group Six Table

25 November 2007 16:50

PWDLFAGDPTS
1Andorra00000000
2Belarus00000000
3Croatia00000000
4England00000000
5Kazakhstan00000000
6Ukraine00000000

we all know what will happen, england will get through group stage on 7pts

we have one half decent draw, one solid win, one uneasy but ok victory we will win the last 16 match vs someone like australia, japan, morocco

then 1/4s we go 1-0 up

we believe its our year

then our striker become injured/sent off or just turn utterly cr@p

we then go into extra time

sol campbell will pop up with a legit goal

oh no ref blows, no goal

pens

we miss

we in tears

we await 2012

on to the matter its somewhat of a discrace

some scottish team were told the other year to play on astro then when in uefa told astro couldnt be played on

1year down line england HAVE to play on astro, which was somewhat unfair, although im not counting this for reason we went out, but russians play on it regularly we dont. it wasnt really right conditions for astro either in the winter in russia

oh now fifa allowing s.africa to have it. which seems even more a joke

so how come that little scottish team couldnt (no offence)

my guess is money talks

someone should point out that Rugbys played in South Africa.. and played on Grass too.. to fifa...

they dont need artificial pitches

jas :)

I assume they are referring to 3rd generation turf, similar to that used by Russia ?That''s fine. Nothing like the astroturf you remember from the old Luton days. This new stuff is fantastic. We have it at my American Football club''s practice facilities and it is as good as, if not better than grass. Similar comments were made by England''s footballers after they had trained on it before the Russia game.In fact, isn''t Carrow Road''s surface a hybrid these days ?Steve

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

someone should point out that Rugbys played in South Africa.. and played on Grass too.. to fifa...

they dont need artificial pitches

[/quote]

There is a evidently a political need to ensure that SA don''t lose the world cup, even if that means letting them use plastic pitches. But this begs the question - if they can''t afford the little it takes to produce a decent grass pitch, where''s the guarantee they''ll install a decent plastic pitch?

they hosted the 1995 Rugby World cup... why then, is there such a problem with Growing grass now?

if its that much of a problem cant they play some of the games in the Rugby stadiums?  whats the capacity 40-50,000? more than big enough for majority of games...

[quote user="Steve in Holland"]I assume they are referring to 3rd generation turf, similar to that used by Russia ?

That''s fine. Nothing like the astroturf you remember from the old Luton days. This new stuff is fantastic. We have it at my American Football club''s practice facilities and it is as good as, if not better than grass. Similar comments were made by England''s footballers after they had trained on it before the Russia game.

In fact, isn''t Carrow Road''s surface a hybrid these days ?

Steve
[/quote]

Agree. I played on this ''3rd Gen'' stuff in Spain once and it''s just as good as grass.

qualification for world cup in europe is

top teams qualify

the best 2nd place team qualifies (how england did last time with poland in our group)

then the remaining 8 teams have a playoff

im pretty sure thats how it goes

one 2nd place team may miss out on playoffs as well for worst record, im may dreamt it but didnt this happen to ireland or scotland? prob wrong

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

if its that much of a problem cant they play some of the games in the Rugby stadiums?

[/quote]Safety I would imagine. I worked at the First National Bamk stadium when SA played Congo for a world cup qualifier in 1997 I think it was. It was terrifying. Crowds were controlled with miles of razor wire, as kick off approached they rushed the gates and a wall collapsed allowing them free entry into one side of the ground. Although SA won 1-0 the crowd were extremely hostile. They may (though knowing the country quite well I doubt it) have improved things since, but it will not be to the standard needed to control the fans, nor keep them safe. Its an extremely violent country, the transport system is such that fans will mix, get lost, never arrive..... The locals are going to have a field day.I''m going to pass on that one - grass or no grass.