Sign in to follow this  
Camuldonum

The shape of things to come?

I agree with this - I have played when the refs are willing to book for swearing anyway. Infact in one game I almost got booked for swearing at one of my own team mates!I would like them to go further though. I would like the referee to communicate with the captains more, like in rugby but not to the same extent. If an incident needs relaying to the team - ie when they surround an official, the referee should be able to call over the captain and explain his decision without having to put up with the "mob". Equally if the captain is seen to be doing nothing to controll his players he could also be booked.Then if players "mob" any official they should be facing yellow cards. Simple as.

I support it. Having played rugby for years where you are polite and say NOTHING to the ref for fear of 10 yard punishment- why can''t footballers do the same?

Very quickly they would learn to control their tongues and tempers which is only a good thing for all children watching, BRING IT ON!

Very good idea in my opinion!!  Yet again football could take a leaf out of rugby''s book. The sooner all of these "trials" are established in the Premier league/Football league, the better.

The main problem is finding referees who are brave enough to enforce it.  Whatever happened to the 10 yards for arguing rule, I''ve certainly never seen it implimented, has anyone?

Red card for swearing...  bloody hell...  and what warrants a swear word then?  Are we going to have a list of abhorrent words in teh FA rulebook?

What if someone calls the ref to fecking spunt?  Are those words also to be added to the rulebook.

Just another case of freedoms in this country going out the door i''m afraid.

Soon they will be arresting you on the street for use of foul langauge.. oh... whats that, they already can!  What a disgrace the police are.

[quote user="chicken"]

Then if players "mob" any official they should be facing yellow cards. Simple as.
[/quote]

I long for the day the referee just starts waving Yellow cards at all those mobbing him.  It would only take one referee to do it once in the premiership to stamp it out.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]

Just another case of freedoms in this country going out the door i''m afraid.

[/quote]

Absolutely. Think of all those brave men and women who laid their lives on the line so that Wayne Rooney could swear like a trooper at referees. They''ll be spinning in their graves. IT''S PC GONE MAD I TELL YA [:|] .

[quote user="vicar in green and yellow"]

I support it. Having played rugby for years where you are polite and say NOTHING to the ref for fear of 10 yard punishment- why can''t footballers do the same?

Very quickly they would learn to control their tongues and tempers which is only a good thing for all children watching, BRING IT ON!

[/quote]Not very polite when they''re gouging each other''s eyes out and engaging in some gentlemanly  fisticuffs  are they? Is that ok for the poor little kiddies, so long as they don''t learn any swear words?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

"ungentlemanly conduct" has always been a red card..

jas :)

[/quote]

"Ungentlemanly conduct" or "unsporting behaviour" as it is now called has always been a yellow card. But swearing has always been a red card; it''s just that most referees don''t enforce it. From Law 12 Fouls and Misconduct:

Sending-Off Offences

A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off and shown the red card if he commits any of the following seven offences:

1. is guilty of serious foul play

2. is guilty of violent conduct

3. spits at an opponent or any other person

4. denies the opposing team a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)

5. denies an obvious goalscoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick

6. uses offensive or insulting or abusive language and/or gestures

7. receives a second caution in the same match

I think it should be done, yeah the first couple of weeks could be farcical but teams would soon realise.

It would possibly improve the level of refereeing as they would not be so intimidated, particularly by the bigger teams ala Chelsea.  They would be left with trying to make the right decision, whereas now I am sure the reaction of the players and fans around them must sometimes play on their mind.  Would be so funny to see John Terry or Wayne Rooney sent off for swearing!

Actually I think theb biggest deal would be the fact that the referees would have to know the many insults in the many different languages that are spoken by premiership players.At Chelsea you have Spanish, French, German Portugese etc. Refs will have to be incredible linguists to grasp it all! Unless they ban players from speaking anything other than English on the pitch which might actualy be a problem for Arsenal! Not to mention an infringement of human rights!