Sign in to follow this  
Harleston Canary

Should we actually want promotion?

Before people get on my back, I''m not a ''knocker'' of the club -  I want the best for all concerned, particularly us supporters. 

Putting the mathematics to one side - assume we could get promoted this year.  How many of you would actually want that this season? Our gazes have understandably moved 180degrees from the bottom to the top of the table and that''s all due to Glenn, the lads and a few slices of luck.  However, if we got promoted we would need to spend zillions to stay up and would realistically run the risk of ''doing a Derby'' (who I suspect will face a relegation battle next season in the Championship too).

That''s all coupled with ridiculous plan of the Premier League to take matches abroad - all in the name of money and greed and nothing to do with the fans and the individual clubs.  Is that what we all really want to be involved in - my heart says ''of course it is'', but my head has many concerns.

Any thoughts?

of course we is not ready and must be Derby Co story with this squad that we have(to be fayr without loan players also without huck dion there is nothing almost) but is not matter advertise  Norwich brand at top level + more than 35 milion pounds tv rights is most imp.and must be taken so promotion if possible is great also Wembley yellow green shuld be great picture!

Dont think Derby will be fighting relegation again next year, new American owners who will want them straight back up and the money made this year from tv rights will mean they will be fighting for promotion, unless Jewell leaves and they decide to hire Bryan Robson  [:D] !!

i completely understand what you are saying, but as we all know this is a very hard league to get out of given the competition. So promotion at ANY point is needed wheather we are ready or not. I''m not sure any team is ever "ready" for a bash at the premier league very few sides go with the team that got them promoted. Just look at what happens if you do..... watford last year and derby this year.

If promotion did happen i would fully tust roeder to get the quality in needed to have a bloody good go at staying up. Just think of the contacts he has and with norwich having premiership football to offer who knows what sort of player we will sign. Gets the mouth watering!!

in a way promotion could be worst thing to happen to norwich city football club at your current stage

you will need almost new squad in the summer if you loanees are unable to stay, if you get promoted you will

need a squad worthy of staying up or least fighting. and currently only players you have permently who could start

in your prem side would be marshall, drury(if regains old form and fitness) russell (with decent midfielder alongside him) all rest would mainly be squad players or useless

you will either need to spalsh ALOT of cash on players like sunderland have done, if for some reason you went

down then you would get into financial trouble due to not having the backing sunderland do financially

if you go for the other option experience cheap players i.e savage, roberts what derby have done, will prob see

you go down the league but also have hefty wage bill.

sensible thing would be to pinch the best of the championship much like charlton did i.e bent, ambrose, hreiderssson etc... but then if you dont perform fans will call for managers head saying "they didnt even give it a go"

[quote user="suffolk canary"]

Before people get on my back, I''m not a ''knocker'' of the club -  I want the best for all concerned, particularly us supporters. 

Putting the mathematics to one side - assume we could get promoted this year.  How many of you would actually want that this season? Our gazes have understandably moved 180degrees from the bottom to the top of the table and that''s all due to Glenn, the lads and a few slices of luck.  However, if we got promoted we would need to spend zillions to stay up and would realistically run the risk of ''doing a Derby'' (who I suspect will face a relegation battle next season in the Championship too).

That''s all coupled with ridiculous plan of the Premier League to take matches abroad - all in the name of money and greed and nothing to do with the fans and the individual clubs.  Is that what we all really want to be involved in - my heart says ''of course it is'', but my head has many concerns.

Any thoughts?

[/quote]

I have a similar viewpoint, only it''s my heart that wants us to go up and my head that has reservations (i''m not thiking purely financially obviously)! My heart says we could go up establish ourselves along with the elite and challenge for the title against all odds! My head says the best we could EVER hope for in any season (unless a multi-billionaire fances buying us and buying success) is establishing ourselves as a mid-table team, just playing each season out until we''re safe. Hardly that much to get excited about. I think in the current climate a championship club is never going to be ready for the premiership given the gulf between the divisions. If we went up this season it would be a HUGE struggle, but then it will never be any different.

It wouldn''t be a bad thing for the club to go up (i''m thinking financially really) but i''m a disillusioned with the premiership really, rubbish kick off times, plastic fans and clubs owned by foregin millionaires more interested in their investment than maintaining and/or enhancing the true identity and culture of our national game. 

I think that to say we wouldn''t want to be promoted is equal to saying someone wouldn''t want to win a "small" lottery because the jackpot isn''t big enough.  So we get promoted, get a windfall of cash, some going to GR and the team, some to reduce the debt.  Then, worst case scenario, we get relegated straight away and get the parachute payments.  We have had teams good enough to get promoted before but for one reason or another, didn''t.  Nothing guarantees us promotionnext year, so we might as well take it and roll the dice.  You never know.  All GR needs to do for us 1st year in the prem is secure 16th or better in the tables, and then the $ will really start flowing. I say lets beat Man U again at home NEXT YEAR!