Sign in to follow this  
Web Team - Celia Sutton

New book

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Celia. I had a quick read of the section about NCFC hooligans in a book shop and found it quite interesting. One thing, though, I wonder if some of the anecdotes are a bit exaggerated in places, because I went to one of the away matches mentioned where trouble was supposed to have started and I don''t remember anything happening which was too much out of control . The game was Grimsby v City in the 1985/86 promotion winning season. According to the book it kicked off a bit in the away section where the City fans were accommodated, and Ken Brown had to come over and tell us to calm down. Yes he did come over and tell us to calm down, but I can''t remember any real trouble or violence. All I remember was a number of us banging loudly on some corrugated iron which formed the back of the stand, in time to our chanting. Maybe I just missed the real yobbish behaviour.

The away match Grimby

Most of the trouble was caused by the police coming into the stand (sitting area at the back) as people didnt have tickets for that area they were very heavy handed pushing people and then trying to snatch individuals out. nothing much really. remember it well cost me a £350 fine and an extra run up the a17.

Did get a bit naughty on the seafront before the game though.    lol