Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Now we'll see what Roeder's got

This was the first 90 minutes where City didn''t show up from beginning to end and never got going.  It wasn''t on the scale of Plymouth away (though the result was worse) but it was a shocker.

What we''ll learn about Roeder now is how he handles a 90 minute no-show from "his" team.  Plymouth wasn''t really his fault and he''s got rid of the dead wood as a result of that.  Now we''ll see what his managerial skills are made of.   I think the next few weeks could be very interesting in working out exactly what kind of manager we have.

I think this is a great point. The side have been excellent as of late and today was the first time that Roeder has got things glaringly wrong - I notcied that he''s admitted that the players should be allowed a poor performance, which is perhaps true but not the reaction I expected considering his comments after previous losses. It makes me think that he realised he got a few things wrong and therefore couldn''t solely blame the players (don''t get me wrong, they all share the blame on this one).I hope the young Henry proves a few people wrong and shows some ability (he showed nothing but inability today) and the decision to keep switching Croft with him over to the left meant that we were losing what seemed our best attacking option - the Croft/Semmy combination. Roeder''s biggest sin yesterday was probably not taking Henry off any sooner, and only did so when the red card forced him.On the Huckerby point, I heard a few at the game saying things like "He''s gone, forget him." Unfortunately, he''s still drawing a weekly wage, probably the highest at the club, and was the best left winger available yesterday; it wasd no brainer and obviously says a lot about the relationship between Hucks and Roeder. Anyway, I''m sure it''s just a blip and Roeder has done well lifting the players before, I just wish he''d have got it right yesterday.

A great post, Mr Chops. It is the first big test of his career at Carrow Road, but I think GR will respond well. I''m not so convinced the fans will. Astonishing some of the gloom and doom on here after one (admittedly awful) result.

Now this thread "we''ll see what Roeder''s got" We are back to "I''d take Delia in the kitchen" thread again aren''t we ?[:P] arrdee.  

why is it always termed gloom and doom when fans ask questions. Yes Roeder has done well but he can make mistakes like all of us, getting too many loanees is a mistake imo and his overlooking Hux for a place on the bench is another imo. 3000 went yesterday saw a pxss poor performance, they have a right to ask questions and get some answers,yes even after a good run, it makes the team selection and performance even more baffling.

[quote user="arrdee"]Now this thread "we''ll see what Roeder''s got" We are back to "I''d take Delia in the kitchen" thread again aren''t we ?[:P] arrdee.  [/quote]

Thanks for that mental image, Arrdee.  It might put me off my sunday roast...

There''s an added test - of how how solves the problem that his two preferred central midfiled players, Fozzy and Rusty, will be missing as well as Dion, in the match against Barnsley. I look forward to seeing hos he soloves this, - Spillane, Gibbs, Pattison for the midfield, and Curo in attack or dare he try Martin?Interesting times!

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

[quote user="arrdee"]Now this thread "we''ll see what Roeder''s got" We are back to "I''d take Delia in the kitchen" thread again aren''t we ?[:P] arrdee.  [/quote]

Thanks for that mental image, Arrdee.  It might put me off my sunday roast...

[/quote]

Yes It might but It wouldn''t  if it was arrdees meat , from our field to your table and I mean top table  fuzzy .arrdee.

This was the first 90 minutes where City didn''t show up from beginning to end and never got going.  It wasn''t on the scale of Plymouth away (though the result was worse) but it was a shocker.

What we''ll learn about Roeder now is how he handles a 90 minute no-show from "his" team.  Plymouth wasn''t really his fault and he''s got rid of the dead wood as a result of that.  Now we''ll see what his managerial skills are made of.   I think the next few weeks could be very interesting in working out exactly what kind of manager we have.

[/quote]

Jeez. Some people really do go into melodramatic mode when we lose, it really is bizarre.  Does the fact that Roeder sorted out a side that was 5pts adrift at the foot of the table, losing games for fun and playing like rank amateurs not give you a glimpse of what sort of manager we have?  Only 3 months ago 95% of people on here were insisting we were relegation certainties, but only last week were going on about a possible play-off push, ffs!  

[quote user="Branston Pickle"][quote user="Mister Chops"]

[/quote]

Jeez. Some people really do go into melodramatic mode when we lose, it really is bizarre.  Does the fact that Roeder sorted out a side that was 5pts adrift at the foot of the table, losing games for fun and playing like rank amateurs not give you a glimpse of what sort of manager we have?  Only 3 months ago 95% of people on here were insisting we were relegation certainties, but only last week were going on about a possible play-off push, ffs!  

[/quote]

Overreact much?

What in the above post is melodramatic?

My post in summary:

We had a poor game.  We''ll see how Roeder gets the team to bounce back.

What I didn''t say:

We''re doomed! Division one here we come!  Sack the board!

Spot the difference?

Overreact much?

My post in summary:

What I didn''t say:

Spot the difference?

[/quote]

Hmm.  To quote your opening thread:

"Now we''ll see what his managerial skills are made of.   I think the next few weeks could be very interesting in working out exactly what kind of manager we have."

All I have done is point out that the ''kind of manager'' we have is one who has already turned around a side from being 5pts adrift into a side that looks likely to finish somewhere mid-table - one that some people were even touting for a play off position only a week ago - and that this is surely a reasonable indicator as to what kind of manager we have.

There is certainly no overreaction from me, I can assure you.  Indeed, I think we are coming at this from the same general viewpoint.  The difference is that you seem to be questioning whether he will be able to come back from yesterday''s below par performance whereas I don''t doubt it.

Is that ok for you?

[quote user="Branston Pickle"][quote user="Mister Chops"]

Overreact much?

My post in summary:

What I didn''t say:

Spot the difference?

[/quote]

Hmm.  To quote your opening thread:

"Now we''ll see what his managerial skills are made of.   I think the next few weeks could be very interesting in working out exactly what kind of manager we have."

All I have done is point out that the ''kind of manager'' we have is one who has already turned around a side from being 5pts adrift into a side that looks likely to finish somewhere mid-table - one that some people were even touting for a play off position only a week ago - and that this is surely a reasonable indicator as to what kind of manager we have.

There is certainly no overreaction from me, I can assure you.  Indeed, I think we are coming at this from the same general viewpoint.  The difference is that you seem to be questioning whether he will be able to come back from yesterday''s below par performance whereas I don''t doubt it.

Is that ok for you?

[/quote]

That''s fine for me, thanks.  I felt your initial response was somewhat over the top, but this does only slightly make me one almighty hypocrite.

This, to me, is Roeder''s first big test.  No first choice central midfield, the Huckerby situation affecting supporters (and making Huckerby the hero by default given yesterday''s showing and Henry''s/Gibbs''s performance), and a lack of goals at home.  I still think (it seems silly to even say so) he''s the right man, but you learn about people in adversity.  Grant (not comparing them in terms of ability, just as two managers) had a couple of good runs, but when the wheels came off, they came off big time.  Now we''ll learn more about Roeder and how he reacts to adversity.  Interesting times at Fortress Carra.