Sign in to follow this  
First Wizard

Why Roeder Will Fail........

In a word, prudence.

This board has failed to back any of its managers in any transfer period, had they done so, then Taylor would have signed on January the 1st, quickly followed up by a quality striker.

No, what we get is very young, usless players on loan, one of which has a history of serious injuries!. Some backing eh?.

While other clubs merrily signed good players all through Jan, City once again went into panic mode in the last week scrabbing around for  cr*p loan signings in their usual prudent manner.

GR will need to sign 8 or 9 players in the summer, and thats by his own addmission. No Hucks or DD, or Evans I expect next season. Anyone who thinks the board will come up with the cash required for this massive team building needs to seek some serious therapy...........it won''t happen..........it never has yet..............our board only make profit during transfer windows!.

Oh Roeder will tow the party line, he seems good at that, he''s definately no O''Neil, and he will comply with his masters wishes, ony to be hung out to dry by them when it all fails.............again.

PS. If you think City are safe from relegation, then study todays league table, many of the teams below City have 1 or 2 games in hand on us. Failure to beat Barnsley next weekend and other results going against us....................

Still, we''ve got the gifted on loan youngsters to dig us out of a relegation scrap...............haven''t we?.  [:''(]

The loan players haven''t set the world alight yet, but there''s plenty of time.  To call them "crap" is harsh, particularly when your experience of watching them consists of not going to games and listening to Chris Bore''em on Radio Norfolk.

One loss in 14 games, and suddenly we''re back in a relegation scrap?

I give up with you, I really do.  Fans like you make me want to give up.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

The loan players haven''t set the world alight yet, but there''s plenty of time.  To call them "crap" is harsh, particularly when your experience of watching them consists of not going to games and listening to Chris Bore''em on Radio Norfolk.

[/quote]

As a I sit here with my membership reciept from NCFC for next season, your ''you don''t go'' comments are laugable and juvinile. As a current member I go/gone when I can mate.

In your small minded world, only season ticket holders have a valid point, well sod that!.

Look at todays league table, look at next weeks team, look at our squad, nows who''s silly? Fans like you make me cry!.[:|]

[/quote]

As usual with you Chops, you avoid every single issue I raised and went for the personal attack..................answer my points if you''re able to.

And add why two right wingers in the same team? to that...................we''re waiting!.

You could be right Wiz. But the part of ypour post that I''m struggling with right now is trying to work out how the bored only ever make a profit in the transfer window if they never rebuild the team.  Where do the players come from to make that profit? It must be like the ''Magic Porridge Pot''! [*-)]

You must be pleased that they appear to have found enough under the mattress to offer The Doc a new contract. I guess if he signs that will make him Roeders player?

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

If you think City are safe from relegation, then study todays league table, many of the teams below City have 1 or 2 games in hand on us. Failure to beat Barnsley next weekend and other results going against us....................

[/quote]

Classic Wiz - please never change as your mood swings lighten my day.  Anyway surely we are safe from relegation as a result of your mystical hexing powers! 

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

You must be pleased that they appear to have found enough under the mattress to offer The Doc a new contract.

[/quote]

God, where''s my gun, I need to shoot myself!.[:''(]

This thread isn''t an assult on Glen Roeder, he''s had to cut his cloth accordinly. However, it is a direct attack on Smith and Jones, the Turners, Doncaster et al.

Their damn awful appointments, prudence, and down right miss-management has held this club back for years and I''m sick of it.[:@]

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Mister Chops"]

[/quote]

As usual with you Chops, you avoid every single issue I raised and went for the personal attack..................answer my points if you''re able to.

And add why two right wingers in the same team? to that...................we''re waiting!.

[/quote]

The issue with the loan signings, the board etc. will run and run, and there''s no point dragging them up again... though I''m sure they will be thoroughly aired if we lose another game (how wonderful everything seemed when we were on our long unbeaten run).

My views (FWIW) are that I''d rather have permanent players here, but if the right ones aren''t available at the right price then loan signings seem reasonable.  It''s too early to judge the January crop of loanees - Bates was unlucky, Gibbs looked lightweight, Henry is playing out of position, we haven''t seen Pearce yet.  Early days.  Would we be better off if they had all been permanent signings?  No. 

So have you seen the loan players on the pitch yet, Wiz?  I note you side-stepped that question rather neatly.

Seeing as you asked for point-by-point, though:

This board has failed to back any of its managers in any transfer period, had they done so, then Taylor would have signed on January the 1st, quickly followed up by a quality striker.

[/quote]

Was Worthington not backed in the transfer window?  Huckerby?  Safri?  Ashton?  Etuhu?
Grant had some money to shell out, didn''t he?  Or is it the board''s fault he bought McNumpties and McRejects?

No, what we get is very young, usless players on loan, one of which has a history of serious injuries!. Some backing eh?.

[/quote]

Which ones are useless, and what''s your evidence?  Bates is quality but unlucky with injuries.  Gibbs is highly thought of.  Henry and Pearce did well at Bournemouth.  Evans staying for the season is great news.

While other clubs merrily signed good players all through Jan, City once again went into panic mode in the last week scrabbing around for  cr*p loan signings in their usual prudent manner.

[/quote]

I agree, I am surprised we couldn''t strengthen anywhere in the team with a permanent signing or two.  That disappoints me as it does you.

GR will need to sign 8 or 9 players in the summer, and thats by his own addmission. No Hucks or DD, or Evans I expect next season. Anyone who thinks the board will come up with the cash required for this massive team building needs to seek some serious therapy...........it won''t happen..........it never has yet..............our board only make profit during transfer windows!.

[/quote]

It''s going to be interesting, I don''t disagree with you.  The talk seems to be he''s identified a few players he wants, but whether we get them or not remains to be seen.  If the Scunny chairman thinks Paterson is worth £5 million, the world''s gone mad.

PS. If you think City are safe from relegation, then study todays league table, many of the teams below City have 1 or 2 games in hand on us. Failure to beat Barnsley next weekend and other results going against us....................

Still, we''ve got the gifted on loan youngsters to dig us out of a relegation scrap...............haven''t we?.  [:''(]

[/quote]

You see, this is where you get hysterical and I get annoyed.  It''s like you''re suggesting we won''t get any more points this season and that suddenly we''re still in trouble.  More realistic posters know we''ve never been OUT of trouble, but we have enough about us to stay up.  When Roeder took over we all said more or less we''d settle for staying up.  We''re well on our way.  No club has stayed up after being where we were in the league in November and more credit to Roeder for making us look like we might be the first to break the spell.

[/quote]

As a I sit here with my membership reciept from NCFC for next season, your ''you don''t go'' comments are laugable and juvinile. As a current member I go/gone when I can mate.

In your small minded world, only season ticket holders have a valid point, well sod that!.

Look at todays league table, look at next weeks team, look at our squad, nows who''s silly? Fans like you make me cry!.[:|]

[/quote]

Bet you aint seen all of the loan players play all of the time though, have you?

welcome back wiz we lose a game and you slate the board manager players fans tea lady,i bet if there was a forum for moaning about your tea you would be on there hexing your tea to be hot.

and the really sad thing is we all bite back at you.

stop moaning get behind the team.

come on you yellows

4 Loan players signed on deadline day -

Bates - Looked very capable and gets stuck in, but we won''t see again this season.

Gibbs - one 60 minute totally inept out of his depth, hiding away from the ball performance against Hull at home. I hope for our sakes that hes got more to offer than what we saw that game!

Henry - A cameo few minutes display against Preston, not long enough to do ought. 60 minute inept, out of depth, bottling it performance against Leicester yesterday. Doesn''t look no where near good enough - Lets hope hes far better than what we''ve seen so far!

If  loan players don''t get stuck in at least when making their first appearances for their new team when they should be looking to make an impression then it doesn''t bode well for their future careers in the game. Every player is capable of making mistakes and having off days but if the commitment and effort are missing as well then it looks like a lost cause!

Why Roeder will fail is the headline of this thread - Well from where I''m standing, he will fail if he continues to plays out of their depth, scared  young loanees rather than much more capable and proven players like Pattison or Hucks.

Wiz has a point though, we have 7 loan players, Dion and Hux leaving, thats nine to replace, the board really has to open the purse, will they, depends which side of the fence you are, i cant see it. 

[quote user="ricky knight"]Wiz has a point though, we have 7 loan players, Dion and Hux leaving, thats nine to replace, the board really has to open the purse, will they, depends which side of the fence you are, i cant see it. [/quote]

The fact is, we will have to buy players.

The board''s prudence/ambition ratio will be determined by (a) how many we buy, and (b) who we buy.  And here''s the problem.  "Name" players would eat up the budget and likely as not end up journeymen a la Robinson, Thorne etc.  They would also cost more and mean we have less to go round.  Whereas young players we haven''t heard of (like our loanees) would take time to settle in and may not deliver straight away.

We''re in a fix alright, but hopefully we''ll buy early (May, June) and get the squad together in time for a good pre-season.

I''m ambivalent, but I think Roeder knows what he''s doing.

Was Worthington not backed in the transfer window?  Huckerby?  Safri?  Ashton?  Etuhu?
Grant had some money to shell out, didn''t he?  Or is it the board''s fault he bought McNumpties and McRejects?

Which ones are useless, and what''s your evidence?  Bates is quality but unlucky with injuries.  Gibbs is highly thought of.  Henry and Pearce did well at Bournemouth.  Evans staying for the season is great news.

I agree, I am surprised we couldn''t strengthen anywhere in the team with a permanent signing or two.  That disappoints me as it does you.

[/quote]

We''re not that many miles apart Mr Chops, yes, the players you mention were bought by the club, and apart from Hucks were all sold on for profit quite quickly.

Evans looks sound to my eyes, but the others seem far from it, my opinion on them, to be fair to you, is based on reviews, and opinions of respected PU posters, reporters and match commentries. Chris Brown was highly thought of once!.

But please remember, I accuse the board...............not GR, who imo, is doing his best under the boards restraints.

The interesting thing is that to buy these 10-11 players the Board will have to come up with some real money - the loan players going home generates none, Dion and maybe Hucks leaving generates zero income other the wages ''saved''.

You''ve got to question Chadwick''s future here too - with all due respect to him, he''s making Darren Anderton look like a picture of health.

Does this mean any players of value (eg Marshall) will be sold to help fund things or will it be ''new'' money from Delia''s book/TV series?

lol oh dear, Wiz is in a right state after us losing just one match in a great run of unbeatens.  I don''t mean to laugh, and I really shouldn''t but boy it''s great to see the old Wiz back to his normal flip/flop/flip/flop self, one week praising Roeder, next saying....

Oh Roeder will tow the party line, he seems good at that, he''s definately no O''Neil, and he will comply with his masters wishes, ony to be hung out to dry by them when it all fails.............again.

Wiz, you know no more than we do IF he tows the line or not because you aren''t there, nor do you have privvy information on what exactly Roeder thinks.

I detest what the board has done to our club, but threads like this will do no one any good, the players, the manager and his staff.  By all means vent your frustrations, we all do, but why all the doom and gloom?  We lost one match, now if we lose all the matches up until the end of the season I will rant along with you, trust me, we wont be alone.  But geez man after one loss lol!!!

We are not out of safety, we know that, but god almighty would you really swap our place now for how and where we were before Christmas?  I know the vast majority of fans would say they wouldnt swap where we are now.

[/quote]

We''re not that many miles apart Mr Chops, yes, the players you mention were bought by the club, and apart from Hucks were all sold on for profit quite quickly.

Evans looks sound to my eyes, but the others seem far from it, my opinion on them, to be fair to you, is based on reviews, and opinions of respected PU posters, reporters and match commentries. Chris Brown was highly thought of once!.

But please remember, I accuse the board...............not GR, who imo, is doing his best under the boards restraints.

[/quote]

And to be fair to you, Wiz, I''ve seen Gibbs and Henry play and neither look like setting the championship on fire.

Chris Brown was quite good for Preston today - didn''t score, of course...

[quote user="ricky knight"]Wiz has a point though, we have 7 loan players, Dion and Hux leaving, thats nine to replace, the board really has to open the purse, will they, depends which side of the fence you are, i cant see it. [/quote]

Er, Wiz has a point?  Try reading Roeder''s comments on this and the NCFC site from 3 days ago regarding team rebuilding - I think you will find that he sums it up a) much better and b) less hysterically: he said that there''s a rebuilding job to be done but always knew that this was the case.  All Wiz has done is rehash that into an anti-board rant.

IMO, Roeder always had some money to spend in January - no idea how much but we certainly made bids for Patterson and Taylor that we know of - but when those players that he wanted weren''t available he decided to wait for the summer.  It follows that we will have a larger transfer pot in the summer - and we will certainly need it with 9+ players needed.

sorry to say the 4 young loanees signed during jan are all plums  - i can''t see city mounting a challenge now - normal service resumed i''m afraid.  we''ll survive i''m sure, but as for next season - if i was roedy i''d be twisting the boards arm good and proper to lever out a realistic transfer budget to make a challenge - or look for pastures new.  there''s plenty of teams with money to burn looking for a manager to take them forward.  but, with takeovers a plenty in this league - its gonna take more money than ever to assemble a decent team together - how much £4-10m???on past performance, i can''t see the board delivering - we''re in danger of being marginalised as the 14th/15th richest team in the champs - and our only hope is ''to do a watford.''  we''ve 13/14 fit first teamers and now 3 loanees (which seem on a par with our academy boys).  think about it for a bit - what a way to run a club.  thank god roedy is performing a miracle - cos really - we''ve taken the p**s - with a squad our size, we''ve no right to be more than bottom half - if not bottom 3.  i salute roeder and clark for saving city''s skins - but if they get better offers, who''ll blame ''em for moving on???rationally, no one should.

The Board had one job and one Job only that they had to do, and that was to appoint a decent manager. Roader has one Job and one Job only this season, to keep us up. Well done to both parties, so far so good.  

I personally think Glen has done the right thing in regards to transfers. He didnt go out and panick-buy in january. He didnt waste a bunch of money on players that he thought MIGHT get us out of trouble, players whom he would not have had a huge amount of time to get a good reading of. What if he had spent big,the plan backfired and then the unthikable had happened?  It happened to Leeds.We could be going down the same road as Luton and Bournemouth. Instead, he has spent a relatively small amount of money on loaned youngsters who, i believe, have the desire and committment to give it their all untill their loans end..just what we need. As of cr*p loan players, i would say steve coppell and arsene wenger are quite clued up when it comes to young footballers? Oh, and we certainly WILL NOT be relegated! OTBC!!!

In a word, prudence.

History may support your argument to some extent Wiz, the problem is nobody really knows what will happen in the summer. Clearly there was not much money available for Grant last summer, hence a bundle of poor signings, the questions none of us can answer are: has Roeder saved a considerable transfer pot by not spending it in January, will more be added to it if it exists or will some be taken away?  My best guess would be he has a pot saved from January but very little will be added to it in the summer. He has shown success with loanees like Ched and the temptation for Doncaster will be to encourage him to make full use of his Premiership connections and do the same next year.

I do hope I`m wrong but I think the evidence to date would suggest the less favourable approach will be adopted. [/quote]

[/quote]

Just like the kid playing Monopoly waving his "get out of jail free" card, Wiz (yet again) plays up his £10 Membership.

i said when you 1st got him that he will fail...

he usually starts off well at clubs he manages then goes downhill after 6-12months

so far he had pleasantly suprised me in how well he got norwich winning game and making you a hard side to defeat. so first of all you cant slag roeder off just yet!

i think the real time to judge roeder reign at norwich is about october, when he has made he deals in summer (be busy time as your squad is small minus the loans) and this will be about the time to see what methods norwich will use in the market and how ambitious they are

In a word, prudence.

[/quote]

Excellent post, Wiz,  you have summed up my thoughts very well. Unless this club gets a massive injection of cash some time soon, we could be fighting relegation every season. Trying to find 8 or 9 quality players is very difficult, even with healthy transfer funds, without those healthy funds, forget it!

Incidentally, I spoke to a WBA fan yesterday and he was surprised to learn we currently have six loan players. I asked him how many WBA had on their books and the answer was one.

[quote user="corbs"]The Board had one job and one Job only that they had to do, and that was to appoint a decent manager. Roader has one Job and one Job only this season, to keep us up. Well done to both parties, so far so good.  [/quote]

I think this post sums up this season very well. Roeder came here to get us out of a relegation place. He has done that and surpassed it. We would still be singing his praise if we sat 4th from bottom and one point clear because when he took over we look doomed.

I fully understand Wiz''s fears. We will require quite a few new players in the summer. But as per usual Wiz wants us to run before we can walk.

We will spend money on new players in the summer and we as fan will have to trust Glenn''s judgement on those players. But why do we need to sign 9 or 10.

We are going well and although some of the newer loan players have not made the grade we have had or are still having the services of some excellent loan players. Evans, Taylor, Camara.

What too many want is for us to go from relegation dog fighters to league winner in successive seasons. I ain''t going to happen people.

What we need to do is purchase 3,4 maybe even 5 new players and mix them in again with good use of the loan system. Do that for a couple of season and you will have a squad of player that Glenn wants. We can''t expect to buy 10 top class championship player in the summer. We have to make steady progress over a couple of season and build a squad.

It is not what any of us would wish for but we are rebuild after the earthquake that was the end of the Worthy era and the tsunami that was the grant rule. It will take time.