Sign in to follow this  
jim blair

Mark Fotheringham

Am i missing something with Fozzy,i just dont get the constant praise that is heaped on him, for me he cant pass, cant tackle and cant shoot. I think he is the most overated Canary of recent years. as much as i admire and respect Glen Roeder for what he has done since he came here i think he has this one wrong!! anybody agree?

I have said it ever since i first saw him play last year, agree 100%, what is so special about him, everyone on this forum seems to think he is quality, get a grip he isn''t!!!

No, he may not be a world beater, but he is head and shoulders above Robinson and Hughes. Look at the change in both fortune and results since he has been back, a coincidence? No. Jesus why does this board and fans in general decend to the pits when we lose, we have lost 2 in 14-15, brilliant I say. I have been well chuffed like most other people on here, we have gone from the depths of the league to mid table respectabilty, nothing more, certainly not play-offs.

I have to agree.  Don''t like to be negative about players, but I really don''t get it with Fozzy.  Russell is ten times the player in terms of committment, tackling and drive.  Fozzy strikes me as a lazy so and so and I don''t think he adds anything.  Hopefully I will be totally wrong (has been known....) and he goes on to be one of our great players.

Fozzy reminds me a little of Mulryne. Wants to get the ball down, and pick his pass. Something we havent had for a while. While he isnt Premiership class, as one poster just mentioned, he is a huge improvement on Hughes, Ethuhu and Robinson.

I think you are missing something, and not just the thread that discussed this last week:http://www.pinkun.com/cs/forums/1162767/ShowPost.aspxHe''s not a great player by any means, but the difference in results when he''s in the team speak for themselves. Yes, Dicky, he''s not as industrious as Russell (who is?) but he passes the ball much better - and they make a good combination. When we play well, Fozzy is usually at the heart of it. I gather he was useless last season (I was living abroad then): if that''s true, fair play to him for getting fit, bilking up and becoming a more combative player in the Championship.I suspect that those who don''t rate him might see the difference when he is suspended...otbc

[quote user="Dicky"]

I have to agree.  Don''t like to be negative about players, but I really don''t get it with Fozzy.  Russell is ten times the player in terms of committment, tackling and drive.  Fozzy strikes me as a lazy so and so and I don''t think he adds anything.  Hopefully I will be totally wrong (has been known....) and he goes on to be one of our great players.

[/quote]

Thats because they are Russells qualities! I would challenge th ecommitment one tho. Fozzy seems to drive the people around him and as others have siad: Its no coincidence our fortunes changed when he came into th eteam.

He is the type of player who keeps the game ticking over, rarely losing possession and is always looking foe the ball. I suppose he''s one of those you like or hate but i certainly value him in our team.

[quote user="jim blair"]Am i missing something with Fozzy,i just dont get the constant praise that is heaped on him, for me he cant pass, cant tackle and cant shoot. I think he is the most overated Canary of recent years. as much as i admire and respect Glen Roeder for what he has done since he came here i think he has this one wrong!! anybody agree?[/quote]

Ohh, you can''t say that Jim. I suggested the same recently (that Fozzy is very, very average) and got slated for it! 

I think Fozzy is a decent player. For me he''s at his best when he gets stuck in and plays it simple. Sometimes maybe guilty of an over hit or miss hit Hollywood ball though.

I think the thing that people seem to miss about Fozzy is that he makes himself available and actually wants the ball.  Yes he misplaces passes but he is generally always available for the ball, something the likes of Robinson and Etuhu did not do.  Our defence has improved no end with him in front of them.  He is no world beater by any means but he is simple, effective and has drove the team more times this season than any midfielder in the last few seasons.

[quote user="Saint Canary"]I think the thing that people seem to miss about Fozzy is that he makes himself available and actually wants the ball.  Yes he misplaces passes but he is generally always available for the ball, something the likes of Robinson and Etuhu did not do.  Our defence has improved no end with him in front of them.  He is no world beater by any means but he is simple, effective and has drove the team more times this season than any midfielder in the last few seasons.
[/quote]

That''s exactly how I see it Saint.

I can see why some fans don''t rate him though,  because his passing and shooting are not always the best, but we retain the ball better with him in the side and he gives defenders another option rather than HOOF!

All fans see different things in players but I honestly can''t work out how he can be lazy?? He covers more ground than even Russell and doesn''t stop from the first minute to the last. He has to be the hardest working player in the side.

sorry nutty but he didnt retain the ball on saturday and the defenders didnt have any other options except to hoof.got to say living in the midlands dont get to many home games so can only coment on when ive seen fozzy play .

now that Fozz is out we will see just how poor a team we are without him.. he runs intelligently and keeps his passing short and sensible...

His runs pull players out of position.. how do u think Rusty has started to score goals?

agree with NN when he says that fozz works hard...

Lets face it the ONLY reason people dont like Fotheringham is because he was a Peter Grant signing... he works bloody hard for our team and on Saturday when the Overrated (and Rather rubbish) Matthew Pattison smacks a hoof every time he gets the ball people might realise just what we are missing with Fozz

jas :)

I don''t feel he is anything special.  But he makes himself available for the ball and can spread the play.  He also works extremely hard and his passing is decent..

Rusty can''t pass, that is his problem-  it seems Pattison is the same - decent cross on him but not passing.

[quote user="rich2408"]sorry nutty but he didnt retain the ball on saturday and the defenders didnt have any other options except to hoof.got to say living in the midlands dont get to many home games so can only coment on when ive seen fozzy play .[/quote]

No we didn''t retain the ball yesterday, we were awful yesterday, but not awful in the way we were at Wolves or Plymouth. And Fotheringham still made himself available for the ball but then we tried to play football on the worst areas of an awful pitch. Hoofing the ball up to Dublin was the best option at times but poor Dion was not at his best either. Fotheringhams passing was as bad as anyones and worse than some. But he still made himself available and never once hid. Rich, if you see away games in the midlands then you must have seen games where the whole midfield went missing and nobody wanted the ball. That doesn''t happen anymore.

Good originall post I think exactly the same!  Im glad someone realises how bad he actually is because whenever i say something bad about him I get slated for it so thank you very much!!!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

now that Fozz is out we will see just how poor a team we are without him.. he runs intelligently and keeps his passing short and sensible...

His runs pull players out of position.. how do u think Rusty has started to score goals?

agree with NN when he says that fozz works hard...

Lets face it the ONLY reason people dont like Fotheringham is because he was a Peter Grant signing... he works bloody hard for our team and on Saturday when the Overrated (and Rather rubbish) Matthew Pattison smacks a hoof every time he gets the ball people might realise just what we are missing with Fozz

jas :)

[/quote]

That''s nonsense, Jas. Grant signed a few good players, including Marshall, who has been great for us. Fozzy does work hard, just like Andy Hughes did before him....

By the way, I don''t rate Pattison either. 

him and russell work well together mostly, a vast improvement on safri and etuhu as a combination... fozzy keeps things ticking over and like has been pointed out is always showing for the ball and never hides...best captain we`ve had for a while too in my opinion.. i wondered when the search for a new scapegoat would start seeing as hughes has left and docs back in everyones good books.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

er, no he isn''t the only one who is out is he, Russell who has been our best player this season is out as is Dublin. So if Norwich perform badly on saturday or lose it won''t be beacause "fozzy" is out will it!!!!

he is ****

Halleh - bloody - lu - yah! I''m not the only one then who believes Fozzy is generally a poor passer of the ball. he should be fighting for one place with Rusty. That said, his spirit and attitude are first class and he as done a good job for us this season....we just need a playmaker and midfield goalscorer.

[quote user="sam"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

er, no he isn''t the only one who is out is he, Russell who has been our best player this season is out as is Dublin. So if Norwich perform badly on saturday or lose it won''t be beacause "fozzy" is out will it!!!!

he is ****

[/quote]I think it will actually - Dion and Russell were both playing earlier in the season and the results were poor. Our turnaround happened when Fozzy recovered from injury - I''m not suggesting that he is the sole reason but he''s certainly been a big part of it.As others have said, he works hard and drives others, he makes himself available to receive the ball from the defence in a way that no one else does, or has done for ages, and his passing may not be perfect but its the best we''ve had since probably Mulryne (and is more ambitious than his was).

I''m really fed up with people saying Fozzy is crap, and that every one hates him, im making a Poll tomorow at school (Cant make them on firefox)If you dont like Fozzy fine, dont call him Crap and dont say every one loves him, at lest 1/3 dont.

while fozzy seems to be doing well rite now you cant help but feel its jst a man of the moment kind of thing, like hooze last year. at the end of the day hes still not going to carry us to the prem but if he can help change our form and work hard then good for him but hell never be quite good enough. he wont be captain by the end of the next season, quite possibly not even at the start

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Why don''t you just make some nice pictures of him at school.....you could use sticky back plastic and some fozzy felt.[/quote]shut up, im not 5 in 15 why dont you get your mummy to go and help you, did you lose your glue stick?

In our midfield, i see Fozzy as above average.In all honesty, to the poster who called him ''lazy'' i think is perhaps the most misguided opinion i''ve read on here in a while. In my opinion he covers the most ground out of the whole squad.Sometimes, his passing lets him down, but quite often thats because he''s the only one who tries the throughball, or a hollywood pass. They''re never going to split defences or catch out fullbacks EVERY time, are they?His drive has been something that does seem to affect the squad. He plays simple passes and keeps the flow of the game going and keeps posession for us.He''ll never be a premiership midfielder, and neither will he score too many either, but in our current situation he''s more than good enough.

COZ FOTHERINGHAM CAN EVEN PASS THE BALL!!!!

GO AND GET HIS AUTOGRAPH AND FRAME A PICTURE OF HIM ON YOUR BEDROOM WALL OR SOMETHING, YOU ALL SEEM TO LOVE HIM, AND BY THE WAY YOU SAY THAT DUBLIN AND RUSSELL WERE PLAYING AT THE START OF THE SEASON WHEN THE RESULTS WERE RUBBISH BUT THEY HAVE ALSO BEEN PLAYING IN THE 13 GAME UNBEATEN RUN SO DON''T START ALL OF THAT ****