Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Player Ratings - Norwich v Hull

Marshall - 6.5 - an oustanding save to tip a header onto the bar, couldn''t do much about the goal.  Too often, however, he was slow off his line and unsettled the centre backs.

Bertrand - 6.5 - didn''t do much wrong but looked lightweight and was outmuscled first half especially by a physical Hull side.

Shackell - 6.5 - Played better than Doc, I thought, but the same mark because there wasn''t much to choose.

Doc - 6.5 - how he got MoM at the ground I don''t know.  First half he was excellent, second he was wobbly and made a couple of potentially goal-conceding errors.

Bates - 6 - went off struggling, but didn''t link up particularly well with Croft - after the Preston game showed promise, he didn''t step up.

Gibbs - 5.5 - obviously needs to learn and with time on the ball he might be great, but was hustled out of the game and hardly had a kick.  Ended up playing inside left to try to see the ball.

Fotheringham - 6.5 - didn''t step up and boss the game, for a creative midfielder he is awfully happy for the defence to make the searching passes.  Set piece delivery poor.  Had a 15 minute purple patch 2nd half.

Russell - 7 - control again lets him down too often, but he harried them and chased everything, blocked several passes and won several tackles.  His passing was good second half when he pulled their midfield left and right.  My MoM, not that he needs another trophy as his mantelpiece is no doubt buckling under the strain of 26 trophies already.

Croft - 6- full of heart and running, but not much end product.  Didn''t beat his man as often as I thought he would considering the Hull left back appears to weigh slightly less than Jo Brand.

Dublin - 6.5 - won plenty in the air but layoffs went astray too often.

Evans - 6 - perhaps we should only play him in away games?

Subs:
Otsemobor - 6.5 - better than Bates today and linked better with Huckerby and Croft.

Huckerby - 6.5 - turned back the clock twice, then forgot to pass both times.  Enigmatic.

Pattison - 5 - that''s an average of 7 for effort, and 3 for performance.   Left his first touch in the car park and his passing in the dressing room.

Ref: Irritatingly petty.

Hull manager - entertaining.  Shook Pattison''s hand before he came on which might have been the curse of Scaramanga given the way he played.

due to the extremely poor performance in my eyes im not in the mood to run through a load of cr@p ratings but basically...

Bates, Bertrand, Gibbs, Croft, Huckerby(when on) and Evans were rather useless (particuly bates and gibbs)

Doherty, Shackell, Pattison (when on) and Dion were nothing special either

Rusell and Fozzy were ok, but nothing more.

Otsemobor and Marshall had good games. Marshalls save in particular, and Otsemobor was much better than Bates when on.

Marshall - 8 - good shot stopper, but like greeno, doesn''t command area like he should to be top drawer

Bertrand - 6 -  agree choppo "looked lightweight and was outmuscled first half especially by a physical Hull side."  mo is first choice in my book.

Shackell - 7 - did well tonight, unlucky for their goal

Doc - 6 - agree again choppo - "First half he was excellent, second he was wobbly and made a couple of potentially goal-conceding errors."  the doc had a shaky 2nd half to say the least - looked all over the shop.

Bates - 5 - not a patch on semmy - maybe not fit yet though.  has potential - but not the answer this season. 

Gibbs - 3  - poor introduction - and needs to improve 100% to warrant another run out imo. 

Fotheringham - 6.  clearly found the hull midfield a tough nut - did ok, but didn''t control like he can.

Russell - 6 - did ok - not on ''A'' game tonight though.

Croft - 6 overall -  9 for effort, 3 for first touch, 4 for delivery!!!

Dublin - 7 - got the goal  and gave 100%.

Evans - 6 - harried, but did the boy have a shot???

Perhaps we were expecting too much tonight, and Hull aint a bad team. Having said that I felt we played poorly and gave the ball away far too easily. There was no running off the ball and Hull marked us tight pushing us all the way.The team looked somewhat lopsided, there were times when you could have driven a bus up and down either wing with no chance of hitting any one. The passing and distribution was poor, with passes often short or playing people into trouble.

The one thing that really got me was the fact that Pedsersen was playing out of position at left back and was looking so badly injured that I thought he was going off at half time. Croft had the beating of him every time but we didnt use this weakness in their defence and pass out to Crofty.

BLUB: Gibbs poor - lightweight and like a rabbit in headlights. Pattison - awful - what a waste of money. Shackell - the worst passer at the club, his distribution is appalling! Evans anonymous tonight. Fozzy - are the words ''pass forward'' in his vocabulary?

SMILE: Croft - another very good 70 mins. Dubs - won most headers and did well in general. Marshall - kept us in the game again twice. Hux - should have been on the left at least from half time. Semmy - looked much sharper than Bates, who was a shadow of the player who had done so well at the last home game. 

Roeder - For once, poor team and sub selection. Selecting some of the loan players to keep their managers happy.   

Marshall - 6 - Good saves but looked shaky

Bates - 5 - Didn''t make much of an impact

Doherty - 4 - Okay first half, really laughably bad second half, I''ll assume his Man of the Match award was ironic

Shackell - 5 - Again, did alright early on but steadily got worse

Bertrand - 4 - Doesn''t look like a left-back. Seems better in midfield with Camara behind him

Croft - 6 - Great first half but faded

Russell - 6 - Probably our best player

Fotheringham - 5 - Poor passing and set-pieces

Gibbs - 5 - Anonymous but he hardly got the ball

Evans - 4 - Hardly touched the ball or had an effort at goal

Dublin - 5 - Great header for the goal but not a great display overall

Subs:

Pattison - 4 - Lots of effort, but had a nightmare

Otsemobor - 6 - Did better than Bates and looked livelier

Huckerby - 5 - He''s only half the player on the right. Should have been put on the left

Overall, below-par from everyone - after the half-hour mark Hull got into it more, for 15-20 minutes second half we were all over the place. Grateful for a point and another game unbeaten. Also Okocha was a class act for Hull, the best player on the pitch by far.

[quote user="Steve Burns"]

The one thing that really got me was the fact that Pedsersen was playing out of position at left back and was looking so badly injured that I thought he was going off at half time. Croft had the beating of him every time but we didnt use this weakness in their defence and pass out to Crofty.

[/quote]

Yes, but though Croft clearly had the better of him, after beating him a few times early on he then stopped doing that for some reason, when he did get the ball, and I''ve no idea why.

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

BLUB: Gibbs poor - lightweight and like a rabbit in headlights. Pattison - awful - what a waste of money. Shackell - the worst passer at the club, his distribution is appalling! Evans anonymous tonight. Fozzy - are the words ''pass forward'' in his vocabulary?

SMILE: Croft - another very good 70 mins. Dubs - won most headers and did well in general. Marshall - kept us in the game again twice. Hux - should have been on the left at least from half time. Semmy - looked much sharper than Bates, who was a shadow of the player who had done so well at the last home game. 

Roeder - For once, poor team and sub selection. Selecting some of the loan players to keep their managers happy.   

[/quote]when does fozzy pass back?, its no more than anyone elseEVERY ONE IN THE TEAM PASSES BACK BECAUSE THERE IS KNOW ONE TO PASS TOO FOWARDS

Marshall - 6 - for me, tonight showed why he will never be a top class goalkeeper.. made a superb save to tip that header onto the cross bar but let an easy chance trickle under his body for the goal. His distribution remains awful and he is far too slow off his line.

Bates - 6 - i think was injured early on to be honest.. showed some good touches but as the first half went on he was really struggling... would be harsh to give him a lower rating.

Doherty - 6 - made a coule of mistakes but also cleared a chance off the line and made some good blocks and kept the ball away from danger.. not his best game for us though.

Shackell - 6- same as Doc, made mistakes but his passing was better.

Bertrand - 5. Looked lost on that left hand side.. did Drurys old trick of disappearing towards the penalty spot thus being hopelessly out of position when Hull attacked down their right flank. Also, seems to want to foul everyone who beats him!

Croft - 8- best playwer on the pitch! really cant understand why we took him off as all our attacking play went through him! i knew we would draw when he went off.

Russell - 7 - worked hard, had a couple of chances but was let down by the rest tonight.

Fotheringham - 6 - off par, poor set peices (not that we have any set peice takers in the squad!) and wasnt running the midfield like he normally does.. looks tired.

Gibbs - 5 - a wimp! he''s not being pampered in the premiership now! welcome to the championship Keiren! the players are bigger than you and yes, will try and kick you! Needs to learn to give as good as he gets and want to get involved instead of worrying about his image by getting tackled by "little" Hull.

Evans - 4 - Basking in Saturdays glory i think... i cant remember him touching the ball in the 2nd half! failed to get into any dangerous position at all and never threatened

Dublin - 7 - Good player and a quality header.. won so much in the air but no one Ran off him... cant he give us 6 more months at least next season?

Subs:

Pattison - 6 got his foot on the ball and showed what we were missing through playing Gibbs, looking hungry for the ball again which is good.

Otsemobor - 6 - good going forward, should of been on earlier than he was as i think he''d of worried Hull.

Huckerby - 5 - cant understand why we took Croft off! should of put Hucks up front with Dion and taking evans off. Hucks beat his man once but is dreaming of Toronto now i think.... still, he might of been able to use his strength better up front rather than on the wing where he was ineffective.

jas :)

Pretty disjointed performance, reflected in the low marks for the midfielders.Marshall 8. Same as every week, outstanding shot-stopper - the save in the second half was world-class - but still terrifying when he comes for crosses.Bates 6. Solid enough.Shackell 8. I thought he was superb in the first half, totally dominant in the air and more than usually composed on the floor. Not quite as secure in the second half, but still my MOM.Doherty 7. Another good first half, not quite as secure in the second.Bertrand 7. Lots of people raving about him - I thought he was ok. Prefer him in the left-midfield position, thoughCroft 7. He''s beginning to win me over. Final ball still leaves a lot to be desired.Russell 6. All the usual industry but not much to show for it.Fozzy 6. Came into it more and more, especially when Gibbs went off and he drifted on to the left hand side. Not at his best, though.Gibbs 3. Totally anonymous. Not sure whether that''s his fault or the system, but he contributed nothing either defensively or in attack. Should have been subbed at h/t.Dublin 7. Another excellent performance. What a man.Evans 6. Kept very quiet.Subs.Semmy 7. Very impressed with him when he came on - the break has done him good.Pattison 6. Not as bad as some have suggested. Passing wasn''t great, but he gave us a bit mroe bite and created some space for Fozzy to exploit.Hucks 7. Looked sharper than I''ve seen him for a while. We need to get him the ball closer to goal, though. I''d like to see him come on as a sub up front in a game soon. See what happens.Roeder 6. Not convinced by the selection tonight. Camara and Bertrand would have been a better option than Bertrand and Gibbs. Certainly GR could have been quicker to alter things, bringing Pattison on for Gibbs at half time. Hull are a decent side, but were increasingly happy with a point. We could have won this game.

Marshall - 6 One amazing save, but still doesnt look the real deal as yet

Bates - 5.5 not impressed at all, is Semi carrying an injury?

Doherty - 5.5  An off day for the Doc, always struggling

Shackell - 6  Did ok, showed his pace on a couple of occasions

Bertrand 6 - improved in the second half

Croft - 8- our biggest threat

Russell - 7 - typical performance hassleing and harrying, unfortunately when the ball comes back to him more often than not it heads back even further

Fotheringham - 6.5 not a great game but done ok

Gibbs - 5 totally off the pace of the game, needs to be used as a sub

Evans - 5 didnt get into the game at all, needed to be subbed for Hux IMO

Dublin - 7 played well again

Subs:

Pattison - 5 struggling for form

Otsemobor - 6 an improvement on Bates

Huckerby - 7 Still a threat even on the right

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]
I was far too harsh on the centre halves:

Doherty - 6  An off day for the Doc, always struggling

Shackell - 7  Did ok, showed his pace on a couple of occasions

[/quote]

Good call CJF and it wasn''t The Docs best game but how posters can give Gibbs a higher mark than Doherty astounds me. We all want Gibbs to come good, and there''s no way I am going to write him off after just one game against a very strong in form side, but surely anyone at the game could see the contribution Doherty made against the way Gibbs struggled to get into the game. People see what they want to see, they pay their money and are entitled to their opinions, but it still astounds me.

Marshall - 7 - kept us in the game with a great save, generally looked solid.

Bates - 5 - Defensively ok, seems to have enough to get himself out of his own mistakes, but didn''t link up with croft or show much beyond the halfway line.

Shackell - 6 - Solid enough, still looking a lot better than he did 4 months ago.

Doc - 6 - Typical Doc, few edgy moments with backpasses etc but did his job otherwise. No nonsense suits him best!

Bertrand - 6 - Got better as the game went after looking a bit fragile. Tried to get foward but had little support in front of him.

Croft - 7 - Attacked with intent, looked dangerous, only wish we''d have got more ball to him.

Russell - 7 - Usual busy performance, passing and tackling generally decent.

Fotheringham - 7 - Looked composed on the ball and did try to drive us on.

Gibbs - 4 - looked out of his depth and was almost anonymous. Should remeber it was his first ever league game - give him time. 

Dublin - 8 - Lead the line well, rarely loses possession, well taken goal.

Evans - 4 - Almost anonymous

Subs

Huckerby - 7 - Looked really dangerous, only wish he''d have replaced Gibbs, not Croft!

Pattison - 5 - Looked really out of sorts when he fisrt got on but did improve. Not sure if he was playing centrally or on the left (he only appeared there occasionally!)

Ostemobor - 7 - Made some great forward runs and looked sharp. Rest may have done him good!  

[quote user="Ginger Pele"][quote user="LinkNR9"]

[/quote]
when does fozzy pass back?, its no more than anyone else
EVERY ONE IN THE TEAM PASSES BACK BECAUSE THERE IS KNOW ONE TO PASS TOO FOWARDS
[/quote]

Calm down, he didn''t realise that Fozzy was your love child.

Marshall: 7- One great save and I think he dealt well with some ridiculous pass backs. My main concern with Marshall is his decision making. When you''re screaming at him to come and collect, he''s rooted to the spot. When it''s being dealt with by the defence, he''ll come and punch them in the face...

Bates: 6 - He was OK, nothing more. I admit when I first saw the injury, I though he was acting because the Hull player had completely skinned him; I could be wrong. Doesn''t quite gel with Croft yet, but give him time.

Doc: 6 - Off color. Recently he''s been relatively solid but on this occasion he looked shaky. I don''t know about you guys, but to me he seems to have a massive problem judging the bounce of the ball. Makes me very nervous!

Shackell: 7 - Decent, defensively looks a better player in the past few games. His problem will always be with distribution. You can guarantee each time he gets it down, he''ll look up and play a long ball to no one. Last night he played relatively well.

Bertrand: 6 - I like this boy, but Roeder made the wrong choice playing him at left back against a physically strong Hull team. Play him against a quick nippy winger and I think he''ll be fine. Better at left mid.

Gibbs: 4- My god what a pointless cameo he played. Clearly in the team to please Arsenal and didn''t contribute at all. Don''t get me wrong, with a couple of games under his belt he could come good, and I really hope he does.

Fozzy: 7 - Not on top of his game last night, but didn''t play badly. Had a good 10-15 minute spell in the second half with a couple of rasping shots. Set piece distribution needs a lot of work.

Russell: 7 - Always gets stuck in and always gives 100%, doesn''t always have the best first touch though. Some were great, others really played us into trouble. Some neat passes out wide and one great air-shot :)

Croft: 7 - Full of running and gave Pedersen a horrible time at left back for most of the time he was on. Still lacks that final ball however, fairly inconsistent in that department.

Evans: 5 - Challenges for the ball in the air every time and can occasionally win it, but asides from that didn''t get much service. Yes, he was annonymous, but with no service what do you expect. At least he tried to track the ball down though, could you imagine Chris Martin in that game!

Dublin: 7 - Good game, great header. Busted a gut in the final quater of the game running end to end. Was very surprised he started to be honest, after playing a few matches in a row I would have thought he needed a rest.

Subs:

Pattison: 6 - Worries me on occasions and I can''t quite put my finger on why. He can pass the ball brilliantly sometimes and can get stuck in, but then he''ll do the complete opposite 2 minutes later. Not a great appearance for him.

Huckerby: 6 - Not enough time to make a huge impact, but still didn''t even look like threatening to be honest. Should have been brought on for Gibbs at half time instead of Croft who was having a good game.

Otsemobor: 7 - Done well when brought on and showed that Bates won''t keep him out of the team completely. Semmy seems much more confident going forward than Bates and links up well with Croft.

Marshall - 8Bates - 6Doc - 5Shax - 7Betrand - 6Croft - 7Fozzy -7Russell - 5Gibbs -3 Evans - 4/5Dubs - 8 Subs:Semmy - 7Pattison - 4Hux - 4

[quote user="LinkNR9"]

Fozzy - are the words ''pass forward'' in his vocabulary?

[/quote]

Are you one of the ''brain surgeons'' who moans and groans when we opt to keep possession rather than simply lumping it blind up the pitch and straight back to our opponents?  

agreed MP....

for those who think that "passing back" is a waste of time and possession cast ur mind back to Argentina Vs Yugoslavia (or whatever they are now) at the world cup... 27 passes led to a goal... thats how to break a team down!

english football hasnt changed in 41 years.. Long ball to a target mans head, Or punt it up the wings and cross it in... its the reason england have won just 1 world cup and is the reason england are in Decline.. until the style changes expect more failure...

Personally i''d love us to string together passign moves with the other defence running around like headless chickens!

jas :)

As some people on this forum know already i gave up my season ticket for this season but i DID actually go to the game last night and this is what i would say:

Marshall - 6, one very good save and then a mess up for the goal, should have come off his line earlier to get the ball

Bates - 5, didn''t look comfortable all night, he gave the ball away too much

Doherty - 7, rightly given MOM, he was solid all night, the odd panicky moment but done well

Shackell - 6, not his best game and poor communication with marshall for the goal, his distrubution was also quite poor

Bertrand - 6, looks better on the left hand side of midfield asapose to defence but did ok

Croft - 5,  lots of running and no lack of effort but how many times have we said NO END PRODUCT!!!

Fotheringham- 6, was poor in the first half but in the second he took up a left hand side position and looked quite dangerous, a game of 2 halves for the skipper

Russell - 6, not one of his best games, he made some good tackles and as always was everywhere but his passing let him down

Gibbs - 4, was he even on the pitch!! he was out of position far too much and look more like a central player to me, not a good first game

Dublin - 6, scored, but not a lot else, some good flick ons and brought other men into play well but didn''t get good service

Evans - 5/6, no service for ched and not his fault entirely, very quiet game

Subs: Pattison 5 poor

Otsemobor 6 lively

Huckeeby 6 looked quick and dangerous at times

Gibbs needs to be packed of back to his Academy and told that tackling is allowed in  real football. Why are Arsenal dictating who we play. Any lad from the Academy or young pro would have died for the opportunity to play last night and we gave it to a player who made one of the poorest debuts i have seen at Carrow Road. Roeder then defends the lad. Our young lads opt to play for Norwich and spend years at the club for a chance and then see that farce last night-Quite appalling and a real kick in the teeth for home grown talent. We will drive our boys into the arms of Ipswich if we persist in this nonsense.

[quote user="sandboy"]

Gibbs needs to be packed of back to his Academy and told that tackling is allowed in  real football. Why are Arsenal dictating who we play. Any lad from the Academy or young pro would have died for the opportunity to play last night and we gave it to a player who made one of the poorest debuts i have seen at Carrow Road. Roeder then defends the lad. Our young lads opt to play for Norwich and spend years at the club for a chance and then see that farce last night-Quite appalling and a real kick in the teeth for home grown talent. We will drive our boys into the arms of Ipswich if we persist in this nonsense.

[/quote]

It was quite obvious that this kid had no idea what the Championship was going to be like.  He definatly needs to be blooded as a substitute, and very much reminds me of David Bentley''s early games for us when he prima donna-ed around thinking he was all that.

Roeder I doubt has even seen him play. AT 18 if he was as good as Wegner said he would be in their 1st team-look at Fabregas. We are being duped to satisfy a lack of spending and i hope that the Hull game is not the start of silly changes to a team that has momentum. Pressure from outside to play loan signings will not win the battles ahead

[quote user="sandboy"]

Why are Arsenal dictating who we play. Any lad from the Academy or young pro would have died for the opportunity to play last night and we gave it to a player who made one of the poorest debuts i have seen at Carrow Road. Roeder then defends the lad. Our young lads opt to play for Norwich and spend years at the club for a chance and then see that farce last night-Quite appalling and a real kick in the teeth for home grown talent. We will drive our boys into the arms of Ipswich if we persist in this nonsense.

[/quote]

Have to agree with that post,  pluswe do need to start looking at our acadamy kids and if they aren''t good enough then over haul the complete set up.

Nobody can tell me that from tuesday''s performance that they can say gibbs is better than what we have seen of eagle and smart.

[quote user="Fellas"]Nobody can tell me that from tuesday''s performance that they can say gibbs is better than what we have seen of eagle and smart.
[/quote]

You cannot possibly judge a player on an hour''s football.

[quote user="sandboy"]

[/quote]

Any young lad at the club may well have died for the opportunity to play but I think the fact Glenn has loaned in Gibbs rather suggests he hasn''t seen anyone amongst those youngsters who is good enough to feature for the first team at the moment (if ever). There''s no point in playing home grown players just for the sake of it.

[quote user="Fellas"]Nobody can tell me that from tuesday''s performance that they can say gibbs is better than what we have seen of eagle and smart.[/quote]I disagree, one forward pass showed signs the boy can play.  He was however totally out of his depth, with no idea of how to get in the game. He needs to be used as a sub at the moment, but I fear perhaps he is too lightweight at this time for the championship.

If i am honest i think he was played out position. He wanted to come central all of the time and i reckon that is where he belongs but he ain''t going to get many games there with Russell and Fotheringham holding the spots currently, would have thought Pattison or Huckerby would have been a better option, also where was Camara?? I